The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    so it finally started - I had begun to believe that maybe it would pass Caleb by but - yesterday Caleb was on the receiving end of being made fun of because he was lapped multiple times at track practice and also because he couldn't do the lowest bar setting for high jump. It was a brutal night - and I went against his wishes and emailed his teacher who is also the track coach. I am not going down this road again just blindly giving the ever so helpful advice of 'just ignore it' - Zach was borderline with an eating disorder after being harassed for being 'fat' - and I'm just done - there is a reason I do parochial school and it's not just for religion -because I expect them to be held to a higher standard and infractions to be dealt with

little a__holes
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been absent. Not on the computer much with my week off. Busy doing errands and getting Rory ready for Ecuador internship. Between the AK trip and getting his back pack etc., I feel poor. We put aside money for Rory's trip and he's worked hard at his job to save money for it too. I just paid a big chunk of my mastercard debt but have to wait for the next two paydays to get it down to zero.

Congrats Ang on paying off your line of credit. It feels good doesn't it? Debt can drag a person down.

Shirley-glad you had fun with Isaac. Mice in a house are a real pain. I always fear the cat will drop one on me when I'm sleeping. I'd die of a heart attack and that would be it.

Marla- glad you are all going on the trip. I hope you have nice family time and lots of fun! Bummer to hear Caleb is being teased. Kids are so mean to one another due to their own insecurities. I think that is why no one wants to repeat elementary, middle or high school. They are not the fondest of memories. I hope the school is supportive to Caleb and you.

We celebrated my birthday on Tuesday eve and Rory's last night. He turns 21 on the 28th but won't be here. Jeff and Iva joined us for the celebrations. I met two retired friends for coffee this morning and we exchanged our gifts for each other's birthdays. I came home and made WW's White Chicken Chili for Rory to take back to school with him on Sunday. I will freeze it so it makes the trip. Have you all had that chili? It is so good and very easy to make.

I ordered a new area rug for the living room and it just arrived. I need to vacuum thoroughly and pull furniture out from the wall so I can get under with the vacuum before putting it down. The other one is much smaller and is beginning to smell like a hamster cage. I think from the dogs sitting on it. The new one is an indoor/outdoor rug that won't collect dog hair. We can also take it out on the deck to wash it if we need to. Easier to vacuum and keep clean and fresh. Live and learn...

Our weather is turning colder again and I saw flurries today. Noooooooooooo!

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jenny - Beautiful day here and sunny but cold. They are predicting snow showers too but so far so good.

Marla - Sounds like bullying to me and they are getting very stricked with that in Canada. All kinds
    of campaigns going on to to stop it. Kids can be so mean. Sorry you and the family are going
    through this. Just keep at it with the school and maybe something will change.

Yesterday was shopping with my friend Donna and we always have a good time catching up
    although we email just about everyday. I picked up some things for the boat, no... its not in the water yet and won't be until next month, its too cold here. I also came home with some things from Donna's
    basement. She doing a clean out of her basement and getting organized.

Today was a walk around the hockey arena with hubby and now cleaning the downstairs and doing
    some oven cleaning on the door and my broiler. A work day for me.

Have an enjoyable day!

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    boys are on spring break this week - Zach gets his braces off tomorrow and it's Easter this week too. Lots of special services and singing and there plenty of things to do - ordered a couple of fun lanyards and travel toiletry kits for the boys for the vacation - thought that would be different and fun - it is overwhelming all the resources for tips and tricks - I am riding a line of trying to research and plan enough but not turn into a drill sergeant -

did a decent job of logging some miles on the treadmill - sites encourage working up to being able to do 5 miles easily before your trip since you will probably be doing 12 plus miles of walking in the park - I have been two miles on the treadmill - and yesterday I cranked out 3 - been keeping after Caleb to get a couple of miles in too - for the good of the vacay!!

went to niece's soccer game Saturday - long tights, sweat pants, long socks, long sleeved t-shirt, sweatshirts, oompa loompa parka, scarf, ear band, hood from parka, two gloves, blanket. Spring soccer in Nebraska.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I know what you mean Marla, it's snowing today and I locked my keys in the car after Yoga class at the
    grocery store. My nice hot coffee was sitting on the inside of the car too. :s Dave saved me and
    all is well.

Now to practice my music before tomorrow.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    The weekend went fast and Rory is back at school. It was so nice to have him home for the week and we got a lot of tasks and shopping done for his internship. I feel better now but am still nervous about him going off to another country and being off the grid for days at a time.

Today I de-pooped the yard since it was warmer, dry and no snow. Took me an hour or so but I'm glad it's done for the big winter clean up. Now if I can just keep up with it. I cleaned out two cabinets in the bathroom today and tossed stuff. My next task is the linen closet where soaps, extra toothbrushes, medical supplies, etc. are kept. The sheet closet is fine and towel area is also good. After I do the toiletry cabinet in the hall I will tackle my clothes and toss quite a bit. I haven't worn a lot of them and it's time to part ways. I also have my wall shelf to paint white this week. So projects to keep me busy for my second week off. I would like to finish up with the basement but getting Russ to cooperate is difficult. He likes to do things on his time line and motivating him is not easy.

Tomorrow eve I'm going out for happy hour with my cubby mates from work. We weren't able to make time during our work weeks so we are doing it over break. One just got back from Cancun, lucky girl!

Marla- I'm glad you are excited for your family vacay.
    Shirley- Hopefully it will warm up soon and snow won't return. MN is still getting large amounts of snow up north and at the southern border. Luckily not us as of yet.

Have a wonderful evening!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Jenny- Sounds like you have been busy cleaning, I am doing laundry now and practiced
    my music this afternoon. Now going to watch some TV.
    I know its hard letting the kids go, let me know how Rory likes Ecuador. I was thinking of a
    retreat there for my TM meditation with my daughter for a week. No date has been set yet.
    Looks like our river cruise to Europe is out this year it just costs too much and our Canadian dollar is low and it would cost us that much more because it goes by the US dollar.

Marla - Spring break just ended last week. Nice to see you are using the dreadmill.
    Happy exercising.

Have a good evening.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    beautiful day today!!! snow coming tomorrow - sounds like Zach gets to golf in rain/snow/sleet Thursday - should be interesting
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Down to 3 of us again. We definitely are the long term members of this thread!

Beautiful out today in the 50's and sunny. I took the dogs to the dog park for a good run and then went through Starbucks drive thru to treat myself to a skim cinnamon dolce latte, yum! I am going to happy hour at 5 with both my cubby mates. The one that just came back from Mexico has intestinal stuff going on so I imagine she will drink and eat light. I haven't been to Mexico for 31 years. I came home with Samonella when I went there last time. I would be ready to try again.

Where in Ecuador is the retreat Shirley? I was watching a video on Ecuador tourism on You Tube today. Beautiful country!

Looks like Americans will be vacationing in Cuba again soon. I know many people waiting for the chance to go. Once the U.S.hotels, restaurants and chain stores get their stake in Cuba, it won't be the same ever again. Time to go is soon to see it for what it has been like. You and Dave like Cuba don't you Shirley?

Well, they predict a snow storm tomorrow. I don't know if it will hit the north metro or not. Seems crazy looking outside right now.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    edited March 2016
    Options
    golf postponed for tomorrow - glad they don't have to fight the weather - but I won't be able to get off on Monday - and it means missing a day of school - I was just putting the tourneys in the calendar and yikes it's going to be quite a few days away from school - boy better keep his grades up !!! I hope it's all working out - he has been happier - of course Caleb is still down from his bad thing at track and having the break right away may not be helping - maybe it's all in my head - and I just need something to worry about - I really prefer not to be anxious but I seem to find it anyway

can't say going to Cuba is on my bucket list - I'd be beyond thrilled to get to Hawaii - after this trip to Florida - my last big family trip goal is to get us all to Hawaii before my boys are outta the coop - maybe, maybe, maybe

the nasty is rolling in - I-80 is closed they say out towards the CO/WY border - spring?
  • Shirley61
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jenny - I don't know as yet what town or city the retreat will be. When I find out I will let you know.
    Yes , we did like Cuba and thought about going back to another resort, but the rates are going up
    a bit and then when the flood gates open I don't know what they will charge at the resorts. I would go back anytime, the people are very nice and you definitely feel safe there. They watch their people closely
    remember it's a communist country. They did have a deal just recently for $1200 for two people at a
    resort we went to but you had to be ready in a few days.

Marla - Hawaii sounds wonderful, its very expensive there but if its a dream go for it! We have rain
    today and freezing rain was predicted yesterday but it missed us. It is snowing North of Toronto
    and beyond from us.

I found out who the lady was that I bumped her car at choir practice last week. So we are settling up
    so far one estimate of $517 but she is getting another estimate for me. Then I can get this off my
    plate.

Yesterday was spent with my sister for lunch and a movie called "The Lady in the Van" with Maggie
    Smith. She was awesome in it, an English movie I would see it if you get a chance.

Today was hair apt. and picked up some groceries. Still have to exercise on my bike.

Yes its the 3 muskateers and I don't think anyone can join the way I set it up. If you can undo it please
    do, I have given up on fixing it.

Have a good day.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Happy Easter my dear friends!!!
  • Shirley61
    edited March 2016
    Options
    982111l643mvlz6q.gif

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies

I know I haven't been on here much lately. I've been telling myself to get on here and I don't! Well I finally am!

I've been battling a cold the last few days. I'm finally feeling better. After the last two days of not being able to complete my diary as I didn't eat enough, today I did. (I think the pizza is the only reason why!) I wore myself out doing dishes this morning, so I just took my time in doing everything I needed to do, but it's all done.

I haven't got out for a run the last several days as I haven't felt good. I hope I can get a run in tomorrow morning before I have to be getting ready for church. I"ll see. My race is 5 weeks from today and I am no where close to be ready for it!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Happy Easter for tomorrow! I'll be busy so I doubt I'll check in tomorrow. Jeff and Iva are coming over at 1pm and we will eat dinner around 3 or so. Russ is cooking of course!

My two week vacation is coming to an end. I love not working! I go back on Tuesday. It will be a busy ride from here until June 22nd. Lots of meetings and paperwork.

Today we met up with Russ' brother and his wife. They were in the cities for the weekend to see her family. We went to lunch and then Russ and I went off to church.

Ang- sorry you haven't felt well. I hope you get back to training for your run soon.

Marla- Hang on to the happy thoughts about your trip and try not to worry about things you can't control. Will the boys ask teachers for homework ahead of time so they can work on it before they leave? That may help them stay caught up.

Shirley- I think Cuba will become more expensive as the U.S. and other countries put their businesses there. At least you experienced it as it has been.

Rainy today. I'm sure weather will be beautiful once I start work again.

Have a wonderful day with your families.
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ang - Feel better soon and good luck on the training coming up.
    Jenny - Glad to hear you had a good 2 weeks off. Back to reality.
    Marla - Happy Easter!

Dinner today with my MIL and skyping with Isaac later today.

2088815fwr5f1l2ux.gif[/url]

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL MY COOLER FRIENDS!

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    bumpy start to the week - Caleb is claiming a stomach ache and stayed home (or is it because he is upset about the track thing from before spring break?) - Zach was late for departing for the 1st tourney because he had the wrong time in his mind - and I am at work getting these phone calls and trying to do my uber busy Monday duties - not fun times. Hello anxiety
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Easter was nice. We had a yummy dinner and nice visit with Jeff and Iva.
    Rory turns 21 today! Feeling a little old here...
    My last day of vacation today. I need to get out of my robe and do some errands, LOL!
    I hope you all had a wonderful Easter with family.

Enjoy your Monday!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Happy Birthday Rory!! - Wasn't he a sophomore in HS when we started this group? Yikes.
  • Shirley61
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yikes is right we are all getting older on this site. ;)

We had a quiet day dinner with my mother in law and we actually sat outside on the patio and had drinks. Dave put together one chair set and ottoman to try it out and it was pretty comfy. He is going
    to spray paint the rest of the chairs and take two up to the cottage this summer.
    My oldest daughter called yesterday to say Happy Easter and he had a great trip in California she got
    home on Saturday. Kathy skyped with us and Isaac but he was too busy watching what his Dad was
    doing. :) We see him next Sunday for his birthday. :D

Today was Yoga class and 15 mins on my bike and now doing laundry.

Enjoy the day!

Shirley