The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thursday I was outside with NO jacket on! I didn't need one. It was +13C out! Wowzers!! I loved it. We even opened the window at work! (Had to the air system was blasting out hot air and it was roasting upstairs!) I've got a couple runs in this week (courtesy of the gym). I was going to get to the gym Thursday but then I remembered it was open gym night and free pizza. So not going on those days! I need to get there today. I had to do my laundry first!

Thursday night I was doing my usual cleaning. I was vacuuming the kitchen when I noticed water on the floor around my deep freeze. To my utter horror, the plug had come slightly unplugged. EVERYTHING was thawed!! I had two chicken breasts, a steak, a roast and TWELVE pork chops in there. :'( The fruit and bread products could be re-frozen without an issue, but I now had a LOT of meat to cook! I had some help with getting most of the pork chops cooked up and we gave some of those away to help some people. I put the roast in the slow cooker Thursday night. Now I just need to decide what to do with a fully cooked roast! The chicken is in the fridge and is getting cooked today (along with the veggies that thawed) My steak has my rub and spices all over it (I might add more today!) and it's for lunch tomorrow. From now on ALL meats are going in the fridge freezer! I don't want this happening again!

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here is a picture from our balcony at the condo. Wednesday we had a great day with our friends at
    Green Turtle Cay and it was hot and sunny. The weather has been cool but is finally warming up. We have had some beach days and tomorrow is another beach day. Our last day is tomorrow and we leave on
    Tuesday. How fast it is going.

Shirley
    daei3dny4eq9.jpg
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    Ang- It has been warm here too. No coat needed on Saturday since it was 60 and sunny! Today was cooler but I didn't wear gloves or boots so a win! Nice getting in your runs.
    Sorry about your deep freeze. We've had that happen before but couldn't save anything.

Shirley- Nice view! I'm glad you've had fun and have had some warm weather. My fingers are crossed that spring will come early this year. We've been so lucky with
    our weather and temps. The snow is pretty much gone right now. I'm sure we will have another storm but with warm temps it won't stay. I bet you miss Isaac!

Marla- Nice pics on Facebook of the boys in choir and basketball. You are very busy. Are your temps as warm as ours here in MN? So nice!

I worked most of the day on my work calendar (student home visits) trying to map out the next few months so I know when I see each child. It is getting so confusing with
    part time kids (1x or 2x/month) and I needed to see it on a monthly calendar not weekly to figure it all out. Russ and I went to the OMNI Imx theater again today and saw a movie on
    the Great Lakes. It was very good and educational. I love those movies. There is a national parks movie opening 3/4 and I would like to see that one too. We joined the science museum today as members.
    Teachers get a discount for a year. Gives us free movie tickets, free admission to the museum and 300 others around the country, and discounted parking in the ramp.

Watching the Oscars right now. Have a nice evening!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    basketball is finished! Very nice season. They came back and beat two teams this last week that had beaten them earlier in the season. And made it to the championship game in their bracket of the C Club Tourney. Came in second. They have a lot of raw talent - if they continue to work on it and keep playing together their 8th grade year could be really spectacular.

Zach's group sang Saturday night as well - with a new song that just had me completely crying. "What Love Really Means." So beautiful and sad. Julie had them write words on a white board that they had heard about themselves or thought about themselves and of course I cry because I don't want any of those amazing kids being told or feeling that way - and then they erase the 'bad' (i.e. our sins forgiven) and write We Are Loved. Gah. Teary just typing this. Heart these kids.

Piano recital Sunday. Well done by the boys - trying to upload their playing but the files are so big. You are safe.

Golf tryouts start today. I'm praying that he doesn't get so discouraged that he won't ever go back to it. The coach made it sound pretty unlikely he would take freshman since he has so many from last year and others trying out. Mmmmfffftttt. Not sure my boys heart can take another beating right now.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I had 5 home visits back to back today with 15-20 minutes in between each one. I put almost 80 miles on my car today with driving from visit to visit. I didn't get in to the office until 2:30 and had to stay until
    5 just to accomplish a couple of things. I brought work home too. Ugh, had enough!

Congrats to the bball team Marla! They had a good season! Good luck to Zach with golf tryouts.

Shirley must be on her way home....

Did I tell you we are using Hello Fresh for 3 dinners per week. Portion control, healthy meals, easy peasy to make, we love it!

More work to do, just checking in.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I have been seeing those things on tv - and have been pondering them...

hope you get a break today Jenny!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    got the head cold/sinus yuck stuff going around. Thanks Bernie. Not.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I had my last teacher observation from my supervisor this year. Now to finish my reflection sheet and I'm done until Fall! Such as pain
    in the ars! It went well and my student was very cooperative. It was the same student she observed me with in the Fall so she could see how
    much progress she had made in her development.

This weekend is the ladies' weekend at my coworker's cabin in north western MN. There are 10 of us for Friday night and half are leaving on Saturday.
    It will be a small group of 4-5 Saturday evening which I enjoy. It is suppose to be warm so we can go on some pleasant walks. No snow shoeing this year but we will
    have a bonfire on Friday eve. I look forward to the relaxation.

I hope you feel better Marla. I can't believe I haven't gotten sick this week. I've been exposed to bad colds and flu in the past week. Knock on wood!
    Last year I got the flu the night before leaving for the cabin and couldn't go.

One more week of work and 11 days off! I love this schedule!

Are you back yet Shirley?

Night!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    your schedule sounds pretty amazing sometimes dear J!

Zach quit golf last night - he had convinced himself that he was at the bottom and going to get cut and completely panicked and.... I let him make the call. I don't know if I did the right thing or not - but it's done. He states he is going to work on it and go back for open sessions this summer and tryout next year. Who knows. We had a meeting today with guidance for his next years classes and it went really well! Aside from having to squeeze in a weights class b/c he won't get his PE waiver since he won't do track - the guidance counselor got him excited about an engineering camp opportunity the summer following Sophomore year. He had a definite spark at the end of the meeting. YAY! I was really dreading this meeting because I have heard horror stories regarding the other two counselors. So thankful to have this one. So excited for the spark today. The last couple of weeks have been painful.

feeling crummy
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla- Congrats on the season being over and maybe Zach can try again for golf. Your kids are so
    active and doing well in all their endeavors.

Jenny - Have fun with the ladies on your trip again. A nice few days off will be good for you and relaxation after all the stress of work.

Ang - Hi !

We got back yesterday. We flew in on Tuesday night and Toronto airport was hit with snowstorm
    and our house got freezing rain. So..we decided to stay another night at the hotel since we got in at
    11:30pm and we have an hour and a half drive home. We put our bags in the room and went
    downstairs for a drink and snack before bed. We all got up for a delicious breakfast at the hotel.
    We all packed up and left on Wednesday morning. Our friend Tim droved us home but we had to
    detour due to a collision on the highway. So..we got home later than normal.

I am still tired and doing laundry today. Dave and I did walk this morning at the arena and I am back
    to eating normal again and hope to get off this vacation weight. No more coconut bread and cake for me. We ate some delicious food and I did get my 10,000 steps in everyday. We rented some bikes,
    the old kind with the breaks on the pedals. Remember those! That was about it for exercise.

Now back to portion sizes and no eating after dinner and no added sugars. Going to try this and see
    if I can move some weight. :/

Back to temperatures of 28F today and I don't see the ocean from my window anymore. :p

Shirley

Arrival day at Treasure Cay in Abaco Bay at the beach.
    shenyyov1sgp.jpg
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Is it Friday yet? Man I'm beat! Crazy afternoon, not enough time to get it all done. I went to Costco after work to buy the fruit for our meals
    this weekend at the cabin. That is my contribution. We eat fruit with every meal. Someone makes a big platter and we pick off of it. I still have to pack
    my suitcase tonight and I'm too tired to think about it. Luckily it's a jeans and sweatpant weekend so I just need to go and throw comfy clothes in my bag. I will do my hair for
    dinner Saturday night (going out) but otherwise I don't worry about what I look like.

Shirley I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Kudos to walking 10,000 steps and riding bikes. It's more than I have done.

Marla- Good for Zach in making a decision and having a plan to work on his skills and tryout next year. Shows nice planning goals. I'm glad he got the good
    counselor.

Well I need to get out of my chair and figure out my clothes. Have a wonderful weekend and I will check in Sunday or Monday.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    It's Friday!! I still feel crummy - hopefully a relaxing weekend will cure it ;>)

have a great one all
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla - Feel better!

Jenny - Have fun on your weekend away!

Ang - Hello

Today was Bliss Day, Yoga and meditation all day and a lovely lunch of vegetables and rice.
    I met some new ladies, there were 10 of us all together. We had a group picture taken so
    not sure if I will get a copy or not. Drained now and taking it easy.

Shirley
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Last week I had to precook up all my meat that thawed in my freezer. Tonight I precooked some veggies and potatoes. Now I have some ready made meals
    for this week!

I had some late nights this week. I've been getting ready all week for the new quarter for my Sunday School class. I usually do it almost all on Saturday. I was
    all ready by Thursday night. My classroom is even decorated for the spring quarter! (I go straight to church from work on Wednesday. Since I get there about
    30 minutes early, I took advantage of that and decorated my room!)

I've got in the habit this past week of laying out breakfast at the same time as making my lunch the night before. Next week's goal is to get up earlier to workout in
    the morning. That means I need to get to bed earlier! I hope I can!

Shirley - Sounds like you had a good time on your vacation. But what a horrible thing to come back to! Winter reminded us that it's still winter and came back today.
    I'm not sure how much we got. It blew around to much!

Marla - Hope your feeling better. It's never fun to not be feeling good on a weekend!

Jenny - Hope your having a great weekend!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Just a short note to say hello. Recovering from yesterday's meditation and Yoga, it makes you tired
    from releasing any stresss you may have. So... we got up late this morning.
    Dave and I went for a walk at the arena and now going to start making some chicken detox soup
    and washing bed sheets and hope to start a new weight loss book my daughter sent me.

Going to see Isaac next week Wednesday to Sunday, can't wait.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    finally feel like I am getting over whatever it was that 'ailed' me. Hoping to get back to some activity this week.

Caleb has stated he is doing track, which starts today - and I am very hopeful he likes it and sticks it out - it should be great exercise. Zach bailed on golf since he was certain they were going to cut him (I don't know) but he hasn't yet begun his "I am going to get out there and work on it" - but I did finally get him behind the wheel on Sunday for a few minutes.

The first meeting for the ILS jr high kids who want to go to Washington DC (Zach and B went two years ago) is this week and so this will be Caleb's turn. He wants me to go - but I keep telling him that it is pretty much impossible. There is no way I can see me missing a whole week of work. If I could I would be taking them all to Disney! Somehow I am going to make the Disney thing happen - maybe I can get away in May after school is out before summer sessions begin since Zach is not in golf. I have a hard time getting my hopes up since the other two times I thought I had it worked out - Bernie crapped on it.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I'm back home and still recovering from the late night on Friday. We had a great evening full of laughs playing Heads Up (phone app game). It was hilarious! Most of us got in bed
    at 1am but my room mate and I talked until 3am. Saturday we went for a walk (temp in 50's) and we went out for dinner Saturday eve. Small group Saturday
    night and early to bed at 10:30. Sunday was in the 60's and I sat on her deck with a tank top on and actually got tan on my face, chest and arms. I have spring
    fever big time!

I'm tired and it will probably take this week to recover from my one late night. Birthday Friday so maybe I can't handle the wild life anymore? LOL!

I had my post observation meeting with my supervisor today. I'm done for this year with this teacher evaluation stuff and won't be observed by a supervisor for 3 years! Yay!

Nice organization Ang!

You must be stress free Shirley!

I hope you are able to get away with the family Marla!

I'm making another try at eating healthy by increasing protein, eating lean meats, veggies, fruits and minimal bread/starch. I need to make this a lifestyle but I get so
    tempted by things that aren't good for me. If this spring weather is here to stay I will be ecstatic with being able to go outside and be more active.

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Getting the Spring fever too!

My trip to see Isaac may be cut short. He is sick with a sore throat, a virus. He went to the doctor
    but Kathy says he is not eating but he is drinking and still nursing. He has a sore throat and had a
    fever. She wants me to come on Friday instead and that means me driving over 2 hours by myself.
    Dave and Tom are leaving tomorrow at 4pm to go to the cottage, he was my ride there. I guess I go out of my comfort zone and drive up and Dave can drive me home on Sunday.

Today I went to the chiropractor because my left knee has been bothering me since I got home from
    vacation. She did some treatments on my quad and side muscles which she said can cause knee
    problems. My quad has been very tight and sore as was my side muscles. Yesterday I had a full
    body massage and i was in pain when she worked on my leg. Not my usual relaxing massage.

Well still have to get some lunch and do some grocery shopping.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I have very nearly secured an almost week to take the boys to Orlando! Researching options like crazy - waffling between Disney and Universal and am currently weighing heavily on Hard Rock Orlando with a heavy universal bent and hopefully a day or two at Disney too.

Getting my hopes way up! Gonna be crashtastic if this one falls through like the other times.

Hope you get your wind back from your fun Jenny - Happy Birth Week!!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    going to try to go to choir tonight - wish me luck ! haven't been able to make it work this season yet