The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    Pretty short sighted not to want to train someone in the way you want them to do things. Most learning is on the job and college provides the baseline for future learning (my experience anyway). Did Z apply to the power company too?

Two Christmas stockings felted and drying. Knitting a third. I knitted over 35 rows yesterday until my hands/arthritis couldn't do another row. I need to get 79 knitted rows done to do the heel of the stocking. I decided dividing up the number of rows per day would help my hands. Hopefully I can knit a minimum of 35 rows today if I pace myself. I know I'm going to need another portal session with my friend Kris to interpret the heel instructions again. I waited too long to do these on my own. I should have kept going after she left in September.

I have a dentist appt for a cleaning this morning. Then I am suppose to call a friend in AZ to discuss a book and

interview we have both read and listened to.

Russ is diligently working on getting the garage entry steps done. We have to go out the front door and around to the garage to get in the car or items from the outside fridge/freezer. It will be nice when finished. Beautiful day today. I should take a walk and drop apples for the deer. Hunting is happening, not sure which season right now. Deer hunting (gun) starts Nov. 15th.

I just found out my great nephew burned both his hands on a firepit. He was driven by ambulance down state to a children's burn unit Second degree burns on both palms. He is turning one years old in December. Yikes!

Have a nice day!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Options
    Oh that poor baby. I hope he will be okay. Prayers sweet boy.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Zach's mood definitely took a plummet. This is all so frustrating. I really can't believe anybody would believe that a new hire wouldn't take training and mentorship. Even a 40-year old would need some training. If you want them assimilate and buy in to your culture, you have to spend time with them. But even aside from that it's clear from his resume he just graduated, so if you are a die-hard about wanting more experience - why bring him in. **Throws hands up** Maybe Zach misinterpreted the cues. He's not super strong on social-emotional reading. Still trying to cling to hope about getting an interview from NPPD (Nebraska public power district). Plus he's been sending out applications in Lincoln and beyond.

Yup, deer season.

Good luck getting your knitting done!

At least it's Friday. I am so annoyed at work. Our benefits representative/coordinator quit a few months ago so work 'outsourced' this hugely important thing. And now it's open enrollment and everyone (including all the floor/manufacturing partners) have to do their own enrollments. Benefits are one of the main reasons people work and the enrolling for benefits is complicated. The likelihood of people getting it wrong while fumbling through it is high. And then they will be without for a year. Just another insanity. They'll keep hiring people like another president, another vp of something, another director of something, but a job that's really crucial to people's lives? That's a good one to use for a cost savings. Idiots.

Friday.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I hope Z finds something and he doesn't have to stray too far to find it. Your company seems to be a mess for the regular workers. I believe people at the top think about themselves and what benefits them. Probably a level of incompetence in whomever is leading the operation.

I went to water yoga today. I've been knitting row after row to get to the heel of the stocking. Almost there! It was my sister Lynn's 73rd birthday today. She did not want to celebrate and wanted to remain low key. I went to a bakery in Traverse City before class and found her a cupcake with frosting and a pink frosting rose on top. We had been talking lately about the cakes my Dad always bought for my Mom's birthday. They were frosted with roses and we would beg to have the rose on our piece. Since Lynn has been so glum and isn't aging well, I showed up with a card and the cupcake and told her "every day, week, month and year we are alive is a blessing so celebrate". She was pretty tickled with the cupcake and thanked me several times. I hope I brightened her day.

Tomorrow I talk with my friend about that book, do a quick vacuuming and cleaning the guest bathroom, and knit some more. Kathy and Steve come over at 5:30 for make your own pizzas with the pizza oven and sundaes for dessert. Not low cal at all!

Enjoy your Saturday and Sunday!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    That was a super neat treat for your sister. A special shared memory and day brightening. Way to go.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I have made tons of progress on the 3rd Christmas stocking. I am getting close to knitting the heel and when I get through that part of the patterns it is a short distance to the toe and done. I will felt it in the washing machine as soon as it is done and then start on the bright red stocking. I think I will get these done for Christmas. I hope the kids come for the holiday.

My friend Candy and I had a good discussion about the book and interview that went with it. We talked for two hours about the book and other things in our lives. She and her husband are going to sell their house in MN and buy her parents' second home in AZ in a 55+ community that they love. I have never been to AZ so I look forward to visiting her in her new home when they settle in sometime next year.

Our dinner with Kathy and Steve went well. We joked that they came over to make their own dinner and dessert since we made our own individual pizzas for the pizza oven and sundaes with toppings. They enjoyed the pizzas and were intrigued by the oven.We played Dominoes and talked the night away. Their oldest son and two of his kids arrive tomorrow from CA. He is coming for hunting and she gets time with the grand kids. In a week his wife and the oldest son will arrive for Thanksgiving and they will celebrate Christmas with them too while they are here.

Russ is almost done with the garage steps. They are usable and so much easier for me to go up and down than the old ones which had a tall rise. I'll be glad to get the garage organized and not such a mess all the time. Having the landing outside the door will help for storage of recycling, boots, etc.

Tomorrow I will visit my friend who had the stroke at rehab. Then I have a shift at the theater working concessions.
    Have a nice Sunday!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Husker volleyball today. (At least we still have volleyball). Illinois started slow and then took the third set and battled the fourth. We got it. With Wiscy dropping their match to Penn yesterday we should have at least a share of the B1G title for the first time in years. GBR!!! I’m voting Bekka Alick for player of the week, Andi Jackson for freshman of the week and Laney Choboy for defensive play of the week. 😉. I expect to see the crazy save Laney made hit sports center.

Ugh. Sunday.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Exciting! I haven't watched a game this week. My high school girl's vball team won regionals and heads to the quarter finals of state on Tuesday eve. It will be the last season my friend Laurie is coaching so it would be great for her and the 5 seniors on the team to get to the finals and hopefully win the state title.

We are getting ready for our Nashville trip. Tonight we booked tickets for the back stage Grand Ole' Opry tour and the Country Music Hall of Fame. We will do the hop on hop off trolley tour around Nashville and see what else we want to explore. We plan to visit Honky Tonk Row for free music of upcoming artists and wannabees. Should be a fun few days. We will explore Tennessee BBQ, Nashville Hot Chicken and Maneet Chauhan's restaurants (Food Network Chef we like a lot).

It will be around 60 in Nashville so that is a plus for us!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    That sounds like fun! Hopefully you can get in to Maneet's place - I bet it can be tough to get in to.

• mizpaden74
    Options
    I hit a couple dead on. Andi Jackson is co-B1G freshman of the week and Laneys running save is number one on Sports Center highlights. GBR!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    WTG!!!

I knitted and made progress today. I'm calling my friend in a bit for a refresher class on knitting the heel. It will take another couple of phone calls after this one as I progress forward. It's just knitting the "foot" of the stocking now.

I volunteered at Power Book Bags this afternoon. The room didn't have any heat! By the time I left I was freezing. It's an old building and not in good condition. I'm sure they will be evicted in the next year. A development group bought the building and will probably knock it down and build condos, retail or restaurant, or all of the above. It's a primo spot with a view of the bay right in town. I don't know where PBs could move to. They have cheap rent at this building and won't find that anywhere else around here.

Laundry done, packing list done, and will pack tomorrow after aquafit.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We are packed and ready to roll to TN. I am still knitting! I am at the hardest part of the stocking on by third one and am letting it rest for a bit. I started the 4th one so I can do straight knitting in the car and not have to look at a pattern.

I didn't wake up in time to go to Aqua Fit this morning. I was awake for over two hours in the night and then finally fell asleep. When my alarm went off I decided I needed sleep more than pool time so went back to sleep until after 8am.

We went to Traverse City to get cheap gas, eat an early dinner, wash the car and check out some items at Lowes.

Not too busy of a day.

I hope you are having a good week.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I just realized I haven't really logged in this week. Weird. Been pondering Thanksgiving sides. Aside from the turkey and potatoes I plan to make some simple roasted veggies (probably butternut squash and maybe something else) and a quinoa salad I did last year that I thought was pretty good. My family gives me a hard time (teasing) for always making something weird (i.e. not traditional), but I like having a lighter option. Usually at least one of us is watching what we eat somewhat and it's nice to have something not as heavy. There will still be plenty of traditional dishes and the stuff I make will be nice to have the next day with leftovers too.

I made a ham and bean soup over the weekend and it was my first time using dried beans. I didn't soak or pre-cook them, just threw them in with a bunch of broth, leftover ham and some seasonings. I cooked it forever before the beans finally were tender, but it seems to have been a winner. Zach ate the heck out of it. I have always been intimidated by dried beans, but it went ok. I may have to try it again!

Back when I was a young newlywed I always did all the frugal things like making broth with my carcasses - but stopped years ago because it is kind of a hassle and I wasn't really using the broth that often. Caleb loves soup and if I can do ones easy like that in the slow cooker, maybe I'll have to boil that turkey carcass this year and try it all with homemade broth.

If you are already on your trip, safe travels and have fun!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Nashville is quite the place. We did a hop on hop off tour today and it was interesting to see the city. They've done a nice job with all the different areas to emphasize their origin, war history, music history, the people, etc. Broadway, the street with all the bars, nightclubs, live music...is very busy. It is great people watching!!!! Some of the women dress pretty sleazy, some with sequins and boots, some I'm not sure if they are prostitutes or just young girls dressing sleazy. The music is great! After the tour, we had Nashville fried chicken for lunch. Mine was mild and Russ' was hot/spicy. Our morning Uber driver recommended a club for music and a roof top view. We spent part of the afternoon there. Then we went to bar that our airbnb hosts recommended for old time country. Quite the dive but the music was great. We sat on bar stools for hours, did a little day drinking (so out of character for us) and enjoyed the music and people around us. We ate dinner there. Probably the cheapest food on Broadway. We called an Uber and are back in our rental for the evening. Our feet and butts are tired, long day. Leave the night life to the younger set. Tomorrow is another day.

Your Thanksgiving meal sounds nice. We made our grocery list last night after we got here so we can shop on Monday when we get home.

All the kids are coming for Christmas. David and Chantrelle will stay with us for two weeks! It will be crazy but nice to have them visit us. I hope we have snow when they are with us.

My high school girls vball team goes to semi finals of the state championship tomorrow. If they win, state finals are on Saturday. I hope they win it this year. This is my friend Laurie's last season coaching. She has 5 seniors on her team too.

Tomorrow we visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Musicians Hall of Fame. We will find more music in different establishments when we are done with those tours.

I like making soups. I avoid dry beans because of the hassle of soaking them. Your soup sounds like it turned out fine. Ham and bean soup is the best. I also love home made tomato, chicken noodle, and chicken and dumpling.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Today we toured the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Musicians Hall of Fame. Very interesting! We ate BBQ for lunch on Broadway and are stuffed so don't need dinner. We didn't do the drinking and music scene today. My feet are tired from walking and standing. Tomorrow we tour backstage of the Grand Ole Oprey and will visit a historical park. Then we will go to a bar or two in the afternoon for music, then head back to spend time with our hosts tomorrow eve (family friends) before we leave Sunday morning. We will probably return here at some point to see more attractions, maybe go to Memphis too. Interesting part of the country's history.

My high school vball team will play in the state finals tomorrow. Yay!!!!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Good luck to your volleyball team!!

Husker volleyball sweeps Michigan last night to remain undefeated and clinched at least a portion of the big 10 title. With a win tomorrow it’s all theirs. Woo!

Sounds like a fun trip for you guys

Safe travels

And super excited for you to have all your family coming for Christmas. Yay!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Bernie *kitten* totaled Zach’s car after spending the day with his *kitten* family. While it may not have been legally his fault, if he would’ve not spent the day with those *kitten* then I would have still had a perfectly good used car that was low mileage and in great shape. Now its totaled and if Zach would get a job he has no car. Of course we’ll have to replace it and have the money for that but then it will be even longer until I can look for myself. That stupid *kitten*
  • jrbanta
    Options
    What in the world happened that Bernie totaled the car? Did he get hurt or just mess up the car? You have had a year!

We are home as of 20 minutes a go. Beautiful sunny day but a long drive. Nashville was fun and we learned a lot about the history of country, blues and rock music along with Tennessee's history from the 1700's onward in the revolutionary and civil wars. In addition, our country's history of stealing land from the Native Americans. We will go back another time. The tour of the back stage of the Grand Ole Opry was interesting. I didn't realize country stars' membership there was by invite only and quite the club.

Tomorrow begins prep for Thanksgiving family gathering. It will be a busy week.

Hang in there!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Bernie didn't actually do anything wrong, just driving home from Fremont (but if he hadn't spent the day with that effing family he wouldn't have been out) - by the Walmart stop light he was green and going through and got creamed by an inattentive 16 year old girl. I'm not sure if she was turning across and just ran the red the other way. Whatever, it's toast. He's fine - and while I know that's all that matters, I'm not going to be able to replace that car for they are going to say it's worth. KBB is below 2000. That car was a unicorn. Ran perfect, barely 120000 miles for being a 2004. It was an awesome vehicle. Used vehicles are so overpriced and I'm just pissed. It would have been better if he had been in his stupid truck. It's still worth what it cost and the insurance would have replaced it. I'll be lucky to get a check for 1500. It will cost me close to 10000 to get anything decent. I'm just so pissed. And yes, because he took off for a day with 'those' people, he didn't tell me about it, just disappeared. He had time to do that, still hasn't done a million and one things for me - but that he could do and it cost me a car.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Why didn't he drive his truck? Does he use both vehicles equally? How far away is Fremont?

I am lazy this morning. I need to shower and get ready to volunteer this afternoon. Russ went to Traverse City to get groceries for Thanksgiving. I made the guestroom bed for Christmas and am washing our sheets. I need to pull up the sheets from the basement and wash this too. Tomorrow I will begin to clean and get tables and buffet area ready for the big meal. I don't want to be doing it all the last minute. I am not big at entertaining and find it stressful. Too much work getting ready and cleaning up.

It's a beautiful, cold day here.