The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Options
    He only drives his truck if he absolutely has to. It's ridiculous. Fremont is about 45 miles away.

Glad you are getting your tasks accomplished.

I know I should be grateful (and deep, deep, deep inside I am), but mostly I am just so pissed.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    I am not crazy about Russ driving my car. He had to have the mammoth pick up truck which sucks gas and I can't easily drive (no second car for me to use if mine is having issues). I don't think he is a great driver, takes too many risks with passing, braking at the last minute, plays macho road games with others on the interstate... He insists he is not like this and thinks he is a great driver. All perspective... When I drive on a road trip he likes to police my driving from the passenger seat. If I don't take my turn or drive long enough, he lets me know it by saying he did most of the driving and does need a break. Coming back from Nashville, he drove through Indianapolis and I drove from there until we were an hour from home (stopped for dinner). I could tell he was getting antsy to drive again and had commented to me, "wasn't I getting tired?" I wasn't and kept driving. At one point he tried to tell me I was going to miss a turn off on the interstate. I wasn't and knew where I was going. I told him to stop being a back seat driver and be quiet. Men!!!

It is cold, rainy, and a dusting of snow and slush. I left to go to aqua fit at 8:10. I got behind a really slow truck driver so took a turn off to a different road. Slush build up and rain. I came to a police car and firetruck on the side of the road with their lights flashing. There was an SUV rolled over in someone's front yard. A little further up the road was an ambulance with flashing lights and a big flat bed truck waiting to load. Then I came to a road block with a huge firetruck blocking the intersection I needed to go through to get to the Y. I had to turn off a different direction. By that time it was almost 8:30 and I hadn't gotten far. I decided to go back home because I didn't want to arrive late and end up in the shallow end of the pool where I get cold.

It is my friend Sarah's birthday today. She is still in rehab due to her stroke so I hope to visit her later today when her therapies are over.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Getting ready for our dinner. Happy almost thanksgiving!

I am thankful for stumbling across this thread years ago. I so enjoy our exchanges.

Hugs
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I am thankful for you and our 12 years of online friendship. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

We are pretty ready. Russ has been cooking and prepping for two days. Today I made the pumpkin pie with a gingersnap crust and the gravy base for tomorrow's gravy. House is clean enough and tomorrow I will set the tables and prepare the buffet table.

I visited my friend Sarah yesterday and gave her a birthday hug and card. She looked more alert and bright eyed than she did last week. However, I noticed slow speech (clearly articulated), confusion, word retrieval problems, and a spinning of stories/facts she perceived to be true but weren't. She is confused in her memories of past and present. They moved her to another rehab facility today. It has been 3 weeks since her stroke. Since she isn't able to go home yet I would guess this wasn't a "small" stroke. She needs spotting when practicing with a walker, help with toileting, shower, and being watched when she eats so she doesn't aspirate food or liquid. I wonder if she will recover her skills or always show impairment?

I need to get started on Christmas prep!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I am ready to eat but have 2.5 hrs to wait. Bummer!

Christmas drama continues. All of my kids and grand kids are coming for Christmas. That makes 12 people, 8 adults and 4 kids 3 and under. My sister Becky called me this morning and feels bad and guilty that she didn't want a big crowd at her house and wants us all to come over Christmas Eve. All of a sudden she has "room" and wants us all there. House is not child proofed, she has expensive rugs, furniture and things, no toys or anything for kids to keep themselves busy. I can see the 1 and 2 year olds being bored and beginning to get into things. If something breaks or gets ruined, we will hear about it for years to come when she is experiencing holiday stress and doesn't want to host. My vote would be to stay at our house and do our own thing that evening. Russ says go and whatever happens to her house is her own doing because she invited everyone knowing what could happen. Lynn says the parents of the littles will just need to keep a sharp eye out so nothing happens. Will the young parents who want to relax and visit with one another notice what their kids are doing? I think I will let the parents decide if they want to go there or stay here. It's their choice since they are all making the trip here to see everyone. I am really leary of her plan because I've been there with her. I also don't appreciate being invited as a family now because she is feeling bad and guilty. She never embraces family time, has claimed her house isn't big enough for all, and *kitten* for months and years into the future.

I hope you are having nice family time.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    We are tired today. It sure takes a lot to hold a holiday dinner. Russ almost collapsed when the buffet was ready for dinner. He did the same last year but this year he paced himself over a few days. He wasn't drinking water as he worked (he drinks diet mountain dew no matter what I say about it not being a hydrating fluid). He checked his blood sugar and it is high (Type 2 diabetic) so he will need to call the doctor and see if he needs to up his meds, change meds, etc. He admitted he hadn't been feeling well for a couple of days and questioned if his blood sugar had spiked. Normally he has it under control.

Dinner went well and all were appreciative. Now to put up the tree and get out the Christmas decor. Tomorrow I am going to the local village holiday markets.

How was your Thanksgiving?
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    It sounds like your dinner went pretty good. I hope Russ is feeling. The thing with celebrating with your sister when your kids are home could be difficult. If it was me I would stress out following my little kids around making sure nothing happened but would feel anxious the whole time. But not everyone is wound up tight like me.

And I totally feel out of control with everything. Caleb announced last night that he wants to take next semester off because he is feeling stressed out and then he burst into tears. We told him we support him and if he needs a break we understand. I told him I hope he doesn’t walk away from a degree. I think maybe a different school might be what he needs. I don’t know what the freak is going on. Not getting a degree isn’t going to make his life easier long term. I wish he would look at a smaller school and just get some degree. Everything is falling apart
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Poor C! Would he consider a smaller school? What about a technical college for a trade career? What is he majoring in now? I'm glad he was able to tell you that. sure it is hard to see him feel this way but sometimes a break can release the stress and give him a new direction/perspective.

It will be a little stressful for me if we go to my sisters. I have always had a hard time with big group gatherings with family since I was a kid. I withdraw when I get overwhelmed. I will let the kids decide.

I went to water yoga today and stretched out my sore body. I felt cold in the water because I didn't wear my swim shirt over my suit. I have ordered two new ones with full zippers so they are easier to get off after being wet. They do help in the water.

Tomorrow I will make a day of the holiday craft markets and see what interests me. I just ordered a present for Halen and one for Ellis. I'm still trying to figure out what to do for each grand child. Halen's birthday is on 12/14 too. We are picking names for the adults. I will do some stocking stuffers and small items for the boys and their partners even though I pick a name too.

I had told guests to bring containers for left overs. They took all the gravy! We have lots of turkey and sweet potatoes, cranberry relish, and some stuffing. I'll have a turkey sandwich and be done I think.

Hugs to you. Try not to over stress on C. He has to figure out his future and the direction he wants to take. All we can do is support our kids decisions and give council when they will accept it.

• jrbanta
    Options
    I found stocking stuffers for the DIL's but nothing for the guys. The first boutique I went to was the best. I didn't buy anything at the other two.

The tree is up and half decorated. I also put out my Christmas Village so will see if it makes it through the holiday. I think the kids will like looking at it. Hopefully they don't pull it down. I'll have to redirect them if they start getting too touchy with it. The tree will only have felt, wooden and non breakable ornaments on it. I didn't use any hooks. If someone pulls it over, nothing will shatter but they might feel the tree on top of them. I will finish the tree tomorrow or Tuesday. I needed a break.

I hope you are having a relaxing, nice, long holiday weekend.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Root canal in the morning, ugh!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Hope your root canal went well and you are not too uncomfortable. Great job with your shopping. It sounds like you have such neat places to go find ideas and gifts.

I just don't what to do. I don't know how he went from being so excited about the semester and talking about doing a study abroad to this. I have always been (at least in my opinion) a safe place for him to talk to - so I don't know why he wouldn't have been talking about stuff before it became this huge, insurmountable thing. So, I've got Zach who did get a degree and can't/won't find a job (part of what Caleb is seeing?? do the work for nothing??), Bernie who most days I feel like I hate who also totaled Zach's car, my folks who are really 'losing' it more and more everyday, my sister who acts like work is evil and can't bear to be here but also won't actually do anything about it(because let's face - it's not magically better anywhere else). I'm just done. I came to work here to be able to provide the financial opportunities for my family that I didn't have and it's all been a waste. I should have made them pay every penny of their own way from the time they turned 15 and made them be on their own at 18 like me. It sucked but I guess I was at least able to be independent. There's never been any joy, but hey - apparently my kids don't either.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I'm so sorry everyone seems to be falling apart in your life. Any parent only wants to provide better for their own kids than they had growing up. You had the motivation to do that and did accomplish your goal. As hard as it is to watch the boys struggle right now, it is up to them to figure out what they want to do and how to make it happen. Tough love may be a consideration at this point. Example: Z is living at home and needs to start paying rent (something small like $150/mos to cover food and help with utilities); if C doesn't go to school he needs to find a job, not just sit around, etc.) Just a thought...if life is easy living at home and they have no responsibilities, what makes them want to move forward? You can't make them all do what you see they should do but you can control your reaction to it and the rules/guidelines that go with their choices. Hugs to you going forward. I know it is very difficult for you to see those you care about struggle and make decisions that may not be in their best interest.

We had snow the past couple of days and the roads weren't good this morning. I asked Russ to drive me in his behemoth truck to the endodontist office. He did and then went to breakfast while I went inside. Well after an hour of drilling, xrays, photos, etc. the endodontist found a hairline crack in the old tooth from the top to the roots, under the crown which is the root of the infection. He did not do the root canal because he said it wouldn't fix the problem. He said the crown has to be removed, the old tooth extracted and an implant put in. I'm referred back to my dentist for a plan of action. So my tooth has fill and is aching as the numbing wears off. This kind of stuff follows me around. Today cost me $570 and the extraction and implant won't be cheap.

We did some Christmas shopping for the grand kids after my appt. Russ took me to the nursing facility my friend moved to so I could visit her. She has a private room and her own bathroom which is nice compared to where she was last week. She likes the new place better. I'm concerned about her cognitive skills and hope they improve over time.We went out for lunch/mid day meal and then came home. I hung two Christmas wreaths we purchased, one on the side door and one on the front door. I hung stockings but am still finishing the last two for the grand kids. Then I will decorate all 4 stockings. Almost there... I took a nap on the couch for a couple of
    hours and am not hungry for dinner.

Hang in there and try to keep your own stress levels down. I will be thinking of you and hope the rest of the week goes well.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm glad your friend is in a better facility. I hope she is getting the therapy and help she needs and can make progress and improvement.

Yes to all of it. I have wanted to start making Zach contribute - but Bernie is against it. He believes I am still being too hard on him. So hilarious. I mean when Zach was 16 and the wheels went off his bus and he nearly failed his Sophomore year, it wasn't Bernie on his knees every night praying and crying. It wasn't Bernie sitting by Zach encouraging him to take the steps he needed to get back on track. It wasn't Bernie who did anything. Just me. And now I'm being too hard on him? Sure. As far as I know Caleb plans to continue living in their house off campus in Lincoln until June and work in Lincoln. The only good thing I got out of follow up conversations was I think I talked him out of going to Reno (no clue) with Zach A and Alex and will consider looking at other colleges, but only maybe. I will also continue to suggest counseling since there seems to be some big feelings underneath. And I believe Michele needs to 'talk' to someone as well. When I was younger and would get emotional about disagreements with Bernie her only advice ever was did you call EAP or you need to talk to someone (because again in my family feelings are either to be stuffed down or scared of). Well she is doing a *kitten* job of anything. If she is so miserable here that she can't function (I got my head ripped off by her for asking questions about the benefit plan changes) and I asked her twice if she would talk to Zach about an open position in this team and she has just blown me off both times. I get it, this place sucks - and no it's not what I want for any of us. But either try to make it better, or not. Don't be part of the problem. And there has been literally nothing on the car. I am so pissed off at the insurance companies and Bernie. They haven't even looked at the car to make the determination if it is totaled (which I'm sure it is because of age and the air bags went off) or what. The other insurance company is slow rolling it and ours (which was a guy Bernie picked and should be pushing it along) isn't doing anything. And I know Bernie needs to be working his job during the day - but I keep saying if our company isn't going to push and make the others make things right I'm getting a lawyer and a new company and Bernie just rolls his eyes and walks away.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Because this is totally the teens fault. There is no doubt -she plowed into him. For once, I want an insurance to make things right for me! Five years ago when Zach scraped another car (both drivable after) I bent over and took the two thousand plus hit to my premiums because of his 'accident' because that is my responsibility. I have paid and paid for something barely cost anything. It's time for someone to pay for their mistakes. And yes, I'm still pissed at Bernie for even being out driving Zach's car (and yep, I'm sure Zach is thinking how can I interview/work with nothing to drive) when he never has time to even take me out for my birthday or anniversary had to whole day to spend with cousins and not driving his precious truck that is the reason I don't have a decent car. Oh, and yeah I haven't slept since Caleb dropped his bomb. So yeah. Woo! So good
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla, it all sounds so stressful. It seems that all your family members are also feeling stress and aren't in a place emotionally to support one another. Do you think your sister is stressed with work or could there be problems at home too? At least C wants to work and will stay within the college scene even if he isn't taking classes. Maybe he would agree to take one class and work? Just to keep his head in the game? Maybe not...

Getting ready for Christmas (shopping, grocery lists, etc.) is not my favorite thing to do. I just like to enjoy the tree and snow along with whatever food someone else makes that I can eat. The kids all want to go to Becky's for Christmas Eve. We will go and see what kind of an experience it turns out to be. She has no clue about kid friendly food or safe food for little ones. The Moms and I will have to put our heads together and take something extra the kids will like and can safely eat. She is planning on getting a spiral ham and buns (that will be fine) but having a potato casserole and a grape salad (with walnuts, honey, yogurt, celery, etc.). Cookies and brownies for dessert (fine). Weird meal for Christmas Eve but she is the hostess so her choice.

I hope I can get my butt out of bed to go to Aqua Fit tomorrow morning.

• mizpaden74
    Options
    If it's that hash brown with cheese and cream soup and sour cream and topped with cornflakes - I love that casserole! I could eat the whole thing.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It is or similar. I think there are several of those potato casserole recipes out there. All are great.

I was dressed and ready to go to Aqua Fit this morning but decided to check the schedule and make sure class was happening. The last Thursday of the month, they clean the therapy pool and class is in the large, cool lap pool. Less attendees on that day due to cold water. The regular teacher is out recuperating from back surgery so I wondered if they would have a sub today due to low attendance. It was not on the schedule so I went and did Christmas shopping instead. I have quite a bit done! I am trying to figure out stocking stuffers for all and that is difficult. I am still knitting the stockings for two of the grand kids. Almost done and then decorate all 4 and put their names on them. It will happen... We pick names tomorrow for the adults. Thanks to Hannah, Rory's significant other, we can do it online on Elfster. I hope I get someone easy to get ideas for.

My tooth is uncomfortable and I am popping Advil. I called my dentist asking if he could extract the tooth because it was indicated the peridontist was scheduling out to February!!!! Interesting that my dentist does not extract teeth!!!!! I have to go to the peridontist for the extraction and he would also do the implant. I am scheduled for the extraction on the 14th. It has to heal for two months before the implant can be done. This would change my plans for my knee surgery. I want the old cracked tooth out! Since they can't do a crown and say it needs an implant, I could just leave the space and not get the implant at all or maybe later on. My knee is more important to me than having a tooth in that back molar space. I am feeling a little cursed right now and sick of doctor and dental procedures. My mammogram is in early January and I always think it will be my time for a positive result of cancer. I've been lucky for years, but the family history is there. I hope this isn't my year. As you can tell I'm beginning to spiral with negative thoughts and anxiety due to all this. I need to go to water yoga tomorrow and clear my head. I am missing regular exercise and my body is showing it.

Since we have this galley kitchen and very little counter space, we bought a large bakers rack to put against a blank wall. I have made it my coffee/tea station and then the bottom two shelves hold our crockpot, rice cooker, instapot and two cast iron dutch ovens. I cleaned out the appliance cabinet and made two shelves just for baking ingredients (containers of flour/sugars, baking powder/soda, extracts, chocolate chips, etc.). I cleaned out the cabinet we were storing the coffee/teas, etc. in and now we can organize our spices more efficiently and put other items in there. We ordered a kitchen island with two stools from Overstock. It will provide an additional work space, storage and seating for two. More organization to come with the cabinet and drawers that provides. We aren't using our space well right now so this will help. The current round kitchen table will go down the basement and provide me another table to spread out when crafting, etc.

Well I hope you had a good day and have been able to de-stress. What are your holiday plans this year?

• jrbanta
    Options
    Our kitchen island arrived in several boxes. Russ has to assemble it, yuk! The area is ready for him to build it. Table has been put in the basement and floor has been mopped. We are going to a craft boutique this morning at the Catholic School in a nearby village. Then I will do errands and Russ will start on the island. I'm loving my bakers rack as a coffee/tea/storage station.

I have Rory as my Secret Santa. No idea what to get him. We are doing a $50 limit. On Elfster you can do a wish list. I hope he puts some ideas on there. I asked Hannah to encourage him to do so. She knows who I have because it didn't assign me and she had to fix it.

I plan to knit a lot today while Russ builds the island. I am at a point in the pattern that I can't be talked to or I will mess up. My living room is full of Christmas gifts for grand kids and stocking stuffers for all. I need to organize, start wrapping and figure out where to hide until Christmas.

The season is in full swing...

• jrbanta
    Options
    White winter wonderland outside today.
    I bought Rory Carhartt Cargo Work Pants for his present.
    I picked up outerwear for Miles and Layney today at a friend's house. I think the item for Layney will be too small. I'm going to check out two consignment shops tomorrow.
    The island is put together but he will do the stools tomorrow. The color is too ivory so we will paint it when we redo kitchen counter tops, back splash and paint the other cabinets.
    Hope you had a good weekend.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm sorry your tooth is giving you such problems. I think mouth problems are one of the biggest miseries. (sp?) Feel better.

I totally get you about being done with appointments. And that you may skip the implant in favor of your knee. I have a tooth that avoid biting on and kind of want to just get pulled even though it is 'healthy' but it's just often really zingy when I eat and since I already avoid biting on it, why not pull it?

That is neat that there is an online helper for drawing names. I should look at it for next year if everyone agrees to continue. (We did draw at Thanksgiving - not sure if it will be positively received at the time of Christmas). We'll see.

I am still really struggling with everything with Caleb and everything else. I just want to avoid everyone. I don't want to hear about everyone else's kids doing great in school and working their first jobs. It's just hard to nod and go well Caleb is taking a 'break' and Zach hasn't found a job yet.

Pretty snow! Glad you have it, not me.