The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,725 Member
    Options
    Caleb's program last night and Zach finished finals today - I have a couple more hours to work then I can home and focus on Christmas. Bernie had the day off did some running around - very thankful for that. Going to the store later held NO appeal.

Shirley - I hope the therapy you are receiving helps your knee

Wishing you my dear friends very Merries and Blessed New Year's - as always so glad to have you to chat with.

I am supposed to get a few days off next week - hopefully that sticks -

Waves dear ones - if I'm at home I won't be on thread - but I'll always be thinking of you until I get back!!!!

HUGS
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Snow is melting and rain is coming. I don't think we will have a white Christmas.
    Marla- I'm glad you will be able to have the weekend to regroup and get ready for your holiday.
    Shirley- It sounds like you have less pain so that's great! Too bad your MRI is so far out but good to know your chiro is helping. Hopefully you can do some yoga stretches.
    Hi Ang!

Very lazy and quiet here without celebrations. Russ and I are going to make a Chinese dinner together on Christmas. We will make eggrolls, LoMein, and fried rice ourselves. We did this when we were dating and it was fun to cook together. It's been a long time. We may go see a movie at a historic movie theater on Sunday afternoon. Depends on weather since the freezing rain will be upon us.

Enjoy your family time, celebrate, and relax as much as you can this weekend.

Merry Christmas!

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I will be having my sister and her boyfriend coming tonight, they are bringing pizza so no cooking for me.
    Kristina and John are on their way, but their Urber driver got the directions wrong and they missed their train to get the Go bus so they will be arriving around 5pm there abouts.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!r

3622270d00sqsyyt2.gif
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I hope you all had a good Christmas.

I was so busy at the beginning of the month I got out of the habit of coming on here and I can't seem to get back into the habit of getting on here, even though things finally slowed down.

I think I've finally shaken the cough from the bronchitis. It lasted for three weeks. So not fun!

December 10 was the ladies Christmas banquet at my church. It's gotten so large now we have to rent a hall to host everyone. It was so beautiful. It was all decorated in silver and blue. The food was delicious. My pastor was in charge of the kitchen. I think he needs to be charge of the kitchen for every banquet our ladies have!

December 18 was the Sunday School Christmas Concert at church. The kids all did a good job. We didn't do the traditional Christmas story this year, but the kids did poems, songs and special music. It was really good.

Christmas yesterday as a wonderful day with my family. My parents picked me up and we went to my brothers for breakfast. My brother makes some yummy pancakes!! On those we had the option of my sister-in-laws homemade blackberry syrup. So good!!!! We did stockings after breakfast and then we had our church service, as it was Sunday. We did our Sunday School hour during the morning service for the kids but we had no evening service. After church we came home and opened all our gifts. My parents noted how I had to borrow things at Thanksgiving when I hosted. I got an electric knife, temperature meat thing, and a gravy boat. I also got what I asked for. A 6quart slow cooker! I can program it to come on at a certain time, and when it's done cooking it will switch to keep warm. Now I can put something in it in the morning and have supper ready when I get home from work! I can also cook something up in and have it ready after church and invite a family from my church over. I so can't wait to put it to use!

I do hope that I can get back in the habit of getting on here, logging my food and working out. Not only that I so need to run. I long to run I'm just not getting out. I need to!! I have the spikes now for my shoes (not that I need them right now its clear - for the next few hours). I have the layers and a winter running jacket. I only need wool socks. Though most winter runs will be on the treadmill. I have set 3 running goals for next year and I hope I can do them - (1) Run 1,000 miles (1,609.34km); (2) Run every day (even if it's just 1km) and (3) Properly train and run my first marathon. Crossing my fingers I can do it!

I'll be back sooner then the last time! Promise!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It's hard to believe the Christmas season is over already. On Christmas Eve day, Russ and I went and saw the movie Manchester By the Sea. Well done, good acting, but very dark and depressing movie. We made appetizers for Christmas Eve, read our books, listened to music and sat in the hot tub. The weather on Christmas was pouring rain and very windy. We didn't leave the house. We cooked our Chinese meal together for Christmas dinner. It was fun but we need more tasty recipes next time. The seasonings we used last time were absent in these recipes so kind of bland.

Today it is snowing and very windy. The snow has been blowing all day. We went out and did some errands/shopping and then ate an early dinner at a restaurant. Relaxing now in a warm house.

Ang- great goals for running. I know you can accomplish them.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    We had a great Christmas and all is over now. Lots of family company all 3 days, so tired now and trying to catch up again. Back to logging, diaries, and hopefully more exercise. Going to yoga tomorrow and talk to my instructor and try some gentle yoga.

ja7udfjg5tcl.jpg

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Isaac is so big! Cutie! I hope your Christmas having a little one was fun, Shirley.

This time off is going way too fast. I have some painting to finish up in the lower bathroom today and then errands to do for the boys Christmas. I hope to find a few deals but not really sure what I'm looking for. Maybe a shirt or sweater for each. I also need a new light fixture for the upper bathroom and a ceiling fan to replace our old one in our bedroom. The fan finally stopped working and the bathroom light shot out a light bulb that shattered all over the room when I closed the door. We were planning to replace it because it has a wiring problem or something that caused a light bulb to not work.

We have been invited to an open house at our new gym next Monday. They will be giving us an orientation, and other things. They said to wear workout clothes.

Well have a nice day!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I have gone back to yoga this week Wednesday and Thursday night. Today I joined the "Y" and start
    Aqua fit classes tomorrow, easier on the knee. Taking it day by day.

Jenny - Have fun at the gym. May it all be what you want.

Marla - Hi!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I finished my shopping for the boys. I got them the stocking stuffers they like and an Izod soft knit sweatshirt for each. David is getting a nice flannel shirt since he wears those in AK. I got everything on sale so not expensive this year.

I love aqua fit classes, Shirley. When I belonged to the Y I attended there. I was also doing a class in our community pool a few years ago but it wasn't as good and seemed to be high impact on my knees. Enjoy your class! They should have yoga classes there too. If they have a class called Body Flow, go to it. Wonderful! Mix of tai chi, pilates, and yoga moves. Nice stretching, balance, and strength workout.

Russ hung my wall decor I bought yesterday for the downstairs bathroom. Unfortunately, he put one of the nail holes in the wrong spot so I had to spackle and will need to sand and get out paint again. Ugh! I did finish painting my shelves and put the towels and toiletries away. I guess our friend is getting the doors made for us so they should arrive soon. I'll have to paint those too. It never ends. I will have the shower sprayed in February when I have a week off and can be home. I need to remember to call and schedule the procedure.

Tomorrow I will clean Rory's room, vacuum and get some stuff put away. Rory comes home Sunday for the week. He hasn't been home since August. We are so happy he will be home. Today I've washed bedding and organized some areas. I hope Russ hangs our ceiling fan in the master bedroom tomorrow and puts up the new bathroom light fixture.

We are going to a New Year's Eve party tomorrow eve for a few hours. We don't plan to stay until midnight due to the dogs. Russ will be up past his bedtime so we'll head home around 10 or so.

Happy New Year to all of you!

Jenny

• Shirley61
    Options
    851814rm82k14a1z.gif[/url]

Happy New Year 2017!

Not going out for dinner tonight Dave is still sick with his cold so we cancelled our dinner plans.

See you in the new year!

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I went through stacks of mail and papers today, cleared off some table tops, did some laundry, dusted, and am relaxing until I take my shower to go out to a party tonight. Tomorrow I will bake coffee cakes and Russ will vacuum the house for me. He put up the bathroom light today and will do the bedroom fan tomorrow. I asked him to clean some light fixtures too and he said he would. Rory will arrive home tomorrow afternoon. The house will smell good with his favorite coffee cake.

We are taking chicken wings in a crockpot to the party. There is a wing place up the street that have fantastic wings. We will buy them already seasoned and cooked and put them in the pot to keep warm. We took these to the Halloween party at the same home and they were a hit.

Ring in the new year with your family, friends and loved ones. Stay safe if you go out.

Happy New Year 2017!
    Jenny
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

I'm trying to start the new year of right. I accurately weighed and logged my lunch. I'll do the same with supper. I just still need to get my run in! I was to lazy to get up this morning. I would have gone after church this morning but there was a chance of my parents coming by so I couldn't in case they did. They did come by with my uncle who I haven't seen in a couple of years. I need to get it in after church tonight. I'm not breaking my resolution on the first day!

Today in spite of the rain, I got back into the habit of walking to church. I had to - I forgot to get my January bus pass! OOPS!!! I'm glad I have tomorrow off so I can get out and get one! (There's a place not even a 5 minute walk from me where I can get them)

• jrbanta
    Options
    Rory's home! It is so good to have him home for the week. One more day off and then back to work.

Happy New Year!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    We haven't heard from Marla I hope all is well with her. :)

I hope everyone enjoyed their New Year, we stayed home like I said. I had some bubbly and watched the ball drop in Times Square. Since we were there in October I can relate to the location and people.
    Crazy, crazy people there were 2 million there this year. All I could think of was where do you take a pee? LOL

I had aqua fit this morning and my knee seems to be doing well and I am getting the cardio that I have
    been missing. There were two ladies there and they talked the whole 45 mins. we were there.
    So annoying, I don't know but I am there for exercise not socializing, but some are there to chat.
    I still have to have a shower and then take my daughter's picture in to be framed. We bought them a 3 photo picture framed from "Imagine" John Lennon in Central Park. That will be her birthday gift for January 15th. Also an excuse to see Isaac.

Yesterday I took down all the decorations except the tree and I am tired today. It will be finishing dusting the upstairs and doing laundry.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Shirley- I can relate to the ladies talking during aquafit class. I took a class at our middle school pool. There were ladies that signed up together and basically moved slowly, held up everyone else, chatted and never listened to the teacher. Very rude and distracting. They wouldn't even move out of the way when you wanted to get by. You had to go around them. Glad you had a relaxing New Year's Eve.

We went to the grand opening at our new health club, Anytime Fitness. It is very nice! They don't have the rowing machine like they said they would so we were disappointed about that. Russ asked about it and we will bring it up again since they told us they would have one when they signed us up. I really like the studio that has the class selection on a screen. You choose your workout/class (yoga, etc.) and an instructor on the screen leads the class. It may be only me or others can join. Nice to not have to fit into a class schedule. I noticed a 20 minute yoga stretch class I want to try to get back into it again. They also had Pilates, strength workouts, time saving work outs, etc.

Well we took the ceiling fan out of the box. Not the right color. The box said bronze finish but it is black. All of our light fixtures and hardware are rubbed bronze. We went to Home Depot to check out their fans but nothing we wanted. We will go to a light/fan store tomorrow after work and see what we can find. We'll have to pay a little more but I'd rather have one that matches and has what we want.

The New Year's party was quiet. There were only 7 of us. A few couples didn't show due to illness and not sure what else. We stayed for about 4 hours, enjoyed some snacks and conversation.

Back to work tomorrow....nothing else to say about that!

Hi Marla and Ang!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I'm still here - was off eating too much junk and am very, very disappointed in myself. I don't know why I always do this to myself.

Glad everyone sounds to have had a good season - Jenny I bet you are loving having your Rory home. I enjoyed being home for a few days - though family stuff is still stressful just in general.

My pants are tight and they were a size larger - just so angry with myself. I am trying to get back in the right frame of mind, but I am just so tired of it being so hard all the time. Meh.

Kids are off school this week yet - but we have dentist appts and ball practice and piano to get us back into the land of the schedule. They love being off - I love them being on a schedule. My folks got them an xbox one and I don't love it - they have really obsessive personalities and are just burrowing down in the basement and I can't get them to do anything. Sigh.

We weirdly had tons of rain on Christmas - and now the temp is dropping and sounds like snow tonight - of course I am supposed to have boys at dentist at 8 a.m. tomorrow - mft.

Can't believe another year is off to a start - I don't make resolutions - I just really want to do better - get on my machine (I have been getting on and going slow, just trying to start moving again) - get my calories down - and have my clothes fit - may have to talk to dr about my anxiety again - don't seem to managing very well recently - teenagers are hard! I worry so much about everything!

Waves to my favorite gal pals.

• Shirley61
    Options
    Marla - Glad to hear you are still here and basically in the same way as I am as far as weight goes.
    Teenagers will be around for you for a while, take it one day at a time. Just a thought, maybe look into
    some meditation, it might help with your anxiety. Its not hard to do and you will get more energy from it.
    You need some alone time too.

Jenny - We had 5 for Christmas this year but I still did the whole turkey dinner with lots of leftovers for us to finish. Your gym sounds very interesting, do you do your exercising from a screen video? Did I read that right. Aggravating when you order online and don't get what you want.

My flannel sheets arrived in the mail this week so I am washing them all, I got 3 sets, 2 for our bed and one for the downstairs bed which is used the most for company. I also ordered a new bathsuit for aqua fit and it does not fit. So I will be taking it back tomorrow to the Sears office. I think I will go to the outlet mall and see if I can find one there and I can also take it to Jamaica in February.

I feel like I am fighting a cold and I have two cold sores on my lip but they are getting better, Abreva really works on the duration of these viruses.

I also got on the scale this morning, I gained 3.2 pounds from the Christmas and New years noshing.
    So... I am officially...the same weight when I started MFP in 2010. Very sad, diets don't work, but I will be eating healthier because I have to take some weight off my pants are very snug these days.
    Back to logging food again. Grrrrr!

I wanted to post a picture to instagram but they changed the format, now I don't know how to do it.
    Frustrating! I am not very techy.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Well it sounds like we are all at the same phase with our weight. I'm at my all time high on the scale. My pants are very tight too and I don't have the endurance I need. Tired a lot.

Shirley, the gym has free weights, weight machines, kettle bells, cardio equipment, etc. Instead of offering exercise classes with a real instructor in the room, they have tons of classes that are offered on a smart TV lead by an instructor on that DVD or whatever it is. I just have to touch my choice on the screen and press start class and it comes on. They have a separate exercise studio for these online video classes. Kind of like taking a class On Demand from your own TV but tons to choose from and the space to do it in.

Teenage years are tough Marla. I feel for you. They are asserting their independence but aren't ready to be on their own and don't know it all like they think they do. Hang in there and it will get better down the road. It's the hardest phase of parenting. It sounds like a good idea to see your doctor. Maybe he can give you something that will help with your anxiety and even out your emotions. Try not to be too hard on yourself. You're a good mom!!!!!

Marla, we had the rain on Christmas and our snow is not pretty anymore. In the past two days we've had rain again and the driveways and streets are sheets of ice. It's horrible to get around when you have to walk from your car to a school or house door. I'm so afraid I will fall down.

Jeff and Rory were both here for dinner tonight. We will be having our prime rib Christmas dinner and presents on Saturday.

Shirley, I'm on Instagram but don't know how to use it at all.

Sleep well friends. Tomorrow lets all make good choices for food. We are going to see Rogue One at the theater tomorrow after work. Movie popcorn is my downfall.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Jenny - Your gym sounds very interesting, never heard of a set up like that before. I hope you will enjoy it! Please be careful out there, we don't want another patient here with knee troubles. :( Enjoy the boys being home and present time! I am on instagram and I wanted to post a picture and they have changed the format so I don't how to use it. If you google, how to post pictures on instragram it will show you how to do it. I want to draw in pictures from dropbox and that's where I am having trouble.

Marla - I hope your day is going your way!

Ang - Hi !!

I took back my too small bathing suit :o and will get a credit on my bill. I also went to pick up my leather jacket which I am having a new zipper put in, but it won't be ready until Monday.

Tomorrow is aqua fit in the morning, some shopping in the afternoon ( bathingsuit) and we are also going to see the new Stars Wars movie and dinner at a jerk chicken place.

A gray day here and temperatures are 15F, a typical January day and I hear snow is on the way.
    Right now we have no snow left.

Shirley

• mizpaden74
    Options
    hope all had a good day and are ready to tackle another -
    fortunately the snow was minimal - but the temps are bitter
    Caleb finds out tonight how the ball teams will be broke up
    I have no idea what to put on the table for dinner -
    hoping for another 15 to 20 on my machine - working up to trying to really get a good workout - starting slow
    still in an emotional valley - but centimeter by millimeter - I will crawl up!