The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Feeling better today and walking more normal. I have been taking epsom baths and using patches.

I went to do some shopping and got lost coming home because of a detour and construction. I managed to get home in one piece. :p

I am going to make soup now before starting dinner. Have a good evening.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I'm here. Time got away from me and I didn't touch my computer all weekend. The weekend was way too short

Russ mowed the lawn and mulched the leaves, cleaned out the flower gardens and trimmed the bushes. We still have some trimming along the fence to do but yard looks so much better. I cleaned and then we went and did errands. Sunday we went on The Great River Road Wine Tour along the Mississippi River. We went to WI first and tried two wineries and then went to one in Red Wing MN. We lingered so long at each that we didn't fit in the 4th on our list. The event was the Harvest Tour for 11 wineries along the Mississippi down to Iowa. We just went Sunday instead of both days. They served appetizers with different wines (pairings). We also went out for dinner in between. It was a beautiful drive on a beautiful day. We went with another couple and the guy was the designated driver. It was also his birthday but he only has a beer on Fridays (his rule) so he was fine to drive. We gave him cupcakes for his birthday from a cupcake bakery. Triple chocolate and vanilla-vanilla.

I had two student visits this morning and now I'm sitting at Caribou Coffee having a latte and doing work until next visit at 2pm.

Feel better Shirley! Hang in there Marla! Shirley's right, it doesn't get easier with driving because we worry whether we are in the car or not.

Time for paperwork!

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,725 Member
    Options
    I'm here - just not a lot to say - I am not doing well with much - back to not logging and still not exercising - work is on my mind - it's time to get ready for having Thanksgiving - just general worries over life -

hope Rory is feeling better and you have a great visit soon Jenny - I can't believe he is basically done with college - my nephew was graduating high school at the same time Rory did and his last few years have been a challenge for him - his first school and soccer didn't work out - he changed schools started out ok - but without soccer he quickly lost his way if you will - eventually deciding school was not for him and he is now working full-time. Which is fine - nothing wrong with that and school isn't for everyone - but I still feel worry for him - thinking of what he missed out on by not having a better experience - but he can go later - it will just be harder. He seems happy now and that's important too.

One of the Zach and Caitlin's (niece) school friend had a huge surgery yesterday to remove multiple tumors from his lungs and other places - he is on his 3rd relapse and the prognosis is grim. He may not make graduation - but his attitude and faith are amazing and he makes me want to throat punch all these idiots whining and crying and rioting about stupid stuff that doesn't matter - when our young people are dying - CARE ABOUT WHAT MATTERS!!!
  • Shirley61
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oh, Marla so sorry to hear about that poor soul who is having surgery and so young. It's like when little ones get cancer. I can never understand that, its all so sad.

Jenny - the wine tour sounds like fun. Where we keep our boat, its in wine country and there are so many wine venues there. How is Rory doing after seeing the doctors and tests? What was the outcome of all that.

I went earlier today to the mall to return a pair of pants that I ordered on line because they are too small. GRRR! So tomorrow I go to the diet clinic, and then I can pick up another size at the store where they are holding them for me. Makes my trip easier. I also picked up two of pants for Isaac from a children's
    store which is closing and had 40% off.

Just finished dinner and going to choir practice and get my tickets for the performance in December.

Have a good evening.

Shirley
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sheepishly waves hi

I have so gotten out of the habit of coming on here. I just am so lazy when I get home at night. On my lunch at work right now.

This morning I got up and worked out!!! Shocker! I also got on the scales. When I came on here I had to do a double take. I lost 2lbs! Not sure how. I've been chewing down on junk food and not doing anything else. I'll take it though!

Next two weeks are going to be nuts. I have rehearsals twice a week for the Christmas Cantata and the other days I still can't go home after work. I really need to slow down soon!

I'll read the posts tonight and update you some more.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    My knee is progressing, no inflammation but my knee still is sore at times and locks sometimes on me. I am going to the chiropractor tomorrow at 7:30 am for my apt. and if enough time I will try my yoga class but may ask her first what she thinks.

Yesterday was my diet clinic apt. which went well. I talked to my health educator and she said she would work with me on the book I am reading, Health in Every Size. My calories will be in the 1200-1300 range and I am printing out my diaries from here for her to look at. I saw the doctor, and he mentioned that my BP was up my last 2 visits so he wants a chart of my morning readings to see how I am doing before he suggests a change in medication.
    I found out he is a cardiologist. So things are humming along and my attitude has changed. LOL

After my apt. I went to a Mall to exchange a pair of pants I ordered online at Northern Reflections, just to get a different size and the exchange went well without any problems. Then I proceeded to go home but stopped in a store called Marks Work Warehouse to browse. I saw a pair of active pants I have been wanting and tried on a couple pairs and found one I liked so proceeded up to the counter. One sale clerk was dealing with a customer and looked frustrated, the other sales clerk, who was the manager, was on the phone looking through a binder. I waited patiently, waited and waited. The manager hung up the phone and proceeded to fold underwear in front of me.
    She never made eye contact with me at all. The other sales clerk was still with the same customer. Then another
    lady comes up with pajamas and asks the manager if she had any more in the back. The manager gets out from behind the counter and waits on her. It was like I was invisible. I took the pants slammed them on the counter and left.

Then I drove to our Mark's store in my town and told the sales clerk there what happened. She found me a pair of the same pants and said I will hold them for you, we are having a sale this weekend with 20% off. She gave me a number to call and complain which I did. My first time doing this ever! They took down all my information.
    Today I get a call from the manager of the store at the mall. She apologized all over the place, I was not backing down and gave her piece of my mind. She said she would give me 50% off the pants when I pick them up tomorrow. I told her I would never go to her store again, she said that was up to me.

Thanks for listening. Customer service is suffering at our Canadian stores and this was an example.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I feel you Shirley!!! I hate shopping in our town - they never have any lines open - and even at the 'full' service grocery store most of the time I end up bagging my own b/c they don't have enough baggers - grrrr.... this is how the stores have to combat rising minimum wage increases - less workers - meh -

p-t conferences at the high school last night - very frustrated with the boy - his Spanish grade is down to a C and he had told me several times that he had retaken two of the tests he had done poorly on - come to find out - nope he hadn't - and he missed signing up for the 3rd he could have retaken - his homework is fine - his tests are not fine - grrrrr - I heard several teachers say the computer is a distraction - (duh) - but they have to have them to do anything - but of course he starts wandering around and not always paying attention - science was a great conference but the others just made me frustrated because he is so smart and not working where he should be - and the failing to take advantage of retakes makes me bananas - oh and not taking taking notes (because he doesn't need to) and then missing out on that when the teacher says you can use your notes on this test - smeh -
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marla- I marvel how close you watch your kids progress in school. You are one interested parent and
    congratulations on all your efforts. Now you just have to let it go, and not let it make you crazy. I know, I know, easier said then done. Some parents don't to give a ---- what their kids do and then there are others like you who really really care. You are doing a fantastic job!

I went down to the Mark's store and picked up my pants in my town, the clerk aplogized and I said you don't have to apologize you didn't do anything. I told her this store will get all my business and I won't go to that other again. I ended with the 20% and an additional 50% on the pants. Woo Hoo!

Shirley
  • angf0679
    Options
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!! So far my candles are in my window and my tree is up. I want to finish it today. I'm planning on pre-cooking all my meals for the next 2 weeks today and freeze them. The next two weeks are going to be non-stop craziness. What else is new!!!

Next week after work it looks like this: Monday - rehearsal; Tuesday - baby shower; Wednesday - church; Thursday - rehearsal; Friday - JOY Club. The next week is basically the same, just change the Tuesday from baby shower to ladies meeting! As much as I love doing it, I will be glad when the Christmas cantata at church is over! I"m in the drama portion of it this year. The story line is an radio station that is putting on a kids Christmas broadcast. The characters are the animals int he manager - the sheep, dove, cow and donkey. I"m the sheep I saaaaaay a lot of my liiiiiiiiines like this. I enjoy doing it, I just need to get my lines down better! Two weeks to the first performance! YIKES!!!!

I've gotten a few of my Christmas presents but need to get more. For my oldest nephew for his Christmas or birthday present (I haven't decided which yet, they are both in December) I registered him to run the 2k race at the Blue Nose next year in May. He's always wanted to run with Auntie! I'll take him out a few times before that and then do it with him. (I will then do the 5k that same afternoon.) One thing I plan on doing is going to Shoppers Drug Mart for some presents there. They have a point system where you turn your points into cash. I'm at $170 right now. Closer to Christmas they have spend your points events where you can actually get more value out of that. I could easily go there and spend over $200 and pay nothing. I'm watching the flyers for one of the events.

Shirley - How is your knee? Sorry you had such a bad experience, but that's a great deal you got! I finally found my winter running jacket second hand for $15. It probably retailed closer to the $150 range!

Marla - Keep your interest in your kids education. Working with the kids I do in the kids program at my church, I see kids who seem to have parents that don't care what they do. It's so refreshing to see parents who do.

Jenny - I'm just as bad as getting on here!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Hi I'm still alive! Just checking in after our weekend in Grand Forks with Rory. We ended up leaving Thursday evening to go up there because a blizzard was coming on Friday. We wouldn't have been able to get there because we would have had to drive through it, no way! So we made it Thursday eve about 10:00pm. We spend Friday, Saturday and this morning with Rory. It was so nice to see him since we have been worried about his health. The CDC did confirm the parasite from Ecuador. He is on an antibiotic that they have to special order and of course will cost (our share) $50 per bottle. Hopefully he only needs 1-2 bottles. The meds make him groggy so he takes naps. He also looks very pale so I asked him to talk to the doctor about checking his hemoglobin. I'm wondering if he is low iron at this point. We didn't have any snow in Grand Forks but it was very windy and cold. We managed to take a mile hike at a state park on Saturday when it wasn't windy. Darn my stupid knees! I couldn't go further than the mile and that hurt quite a bit.

WTG Shirley on getting a great discount and letting the store know they fell short of customer service. I bet that manager doesn't do that again. To give you hope, the staff at the Hampton Inn and Suites in GF's was so friendly and helpful that we noticed! They were exceptional in their friendliness and wanting to engage customers in conversation about anything. I've never seen anything like it in a hotel before. Good luck with the dietician. Let us know how it goes with the book.

Marla- I'm sorry about Zach's friend. What a sad thing and the outcome sounds bleak. It's hard when young people get sick and it's also hard to watch our children experience loss of their classmates/friends. What does Zach have to say about the parent/teacher conference and the info you received? I know it's tough for you because you know he is capable of so much more. Unfortunately, motivation is internal and we each have to motivate ourselves. What do you think keeps him from pushing himself? Does he know? Hang in there, you are such a wonderful and caring Mom.

Ang- I've had a hard time checking in lately too. Work has been busy with paperwork and I"ve had evening commitments. Time goes so fast and then I realize I haven't checked in with everyone. I didn't take my computer to Grand Fork's either. You sound very busy with your holiday commitments at church. I admire your continued dedication to run and sign up for races. We joined a gym that will be opening in a few weeks up the street from our house. I'm looking forward to going weekly. I seriously need to do some cardio, weights and some yoga/stretching.

My program has this week off for Thanksgiving but I have to work Monday and Tuesday since I took two days off last August. I traded the days so will report to work tomorrow and Tuesday. I have three visits tomorrow and plenty of documentation to get done. 1-2 visits on Tuesday and the rest of the day to organize and do paperwork. Haircut on Wednesday. Jeff and Elizabeth are coming for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday.

Well I know I'm at my heaviest so the gym can only help I hope.

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny

• Shirley61
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Jenny - Good luck at the gym and I hope your knees don't give you trouble. Enjoy your thanksgiving.

Ang- You are one busy lady and enjoy your church festivities. I love the point system at Shoppers, they send me an email on all the coupon deals and I just down load to my points card. When I buy that certain item I will get a discount.

Marla - Enjoy Thanksgiving with your family and I hope not too much work to get it all done.

Saturday was a Bliss Day for me, gentle yoga and meditation at a members house.
    It was a good day to destress and get centered again. I have been having a busy week so I needed it. Choir is getting busy and our performance is coming up December 4th.

Sunday we went to our nephew's house, his wife was having a Christmas tour with crafters in her area. She makes lotions, potions, candles, soaps and she had some other crafters there displaying paintings, purses and such. Kathy and Fraser came with Isaac so it was a bonus day! I picked up some Christmas jammies and two pair of pants for him so I could give them to Kathy.

I am still pampering my knee, I have my chiropractic apt this afternoon for a treatment and I think I will need more. I am still having some pain in the back of my knee. I think when i get this healed I will cut down my yoga classes to 2 times a week and be more careful with my exercise going forward.

I will be leaving tomorrow for London, ON to our annual Thanksgiving celebration with our friends and Black Friday shopping. We will be staying an extra day this time so back on Monday. I will be checking in everyday to save my days. Have a wonderful holiday with your families! <3

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    hi all! freaking out a bit that I am going to run out of time to get stuff done - but one way or another the fam will be at my house tomorrow night.

Jenny - I hope the meds and time will get Rory back to 100% - I also hope the gym will be good to you and your knees will get with the program!

Hey Shirley - hope your knee is feeling better and that you have a safe trip and good holiday!

Hi Ang - great job getting such a jump on your shopping - I am at zero zero zero - meh

I am hoping to be a able to get Zach a laptop (online - no crazy store shopping for this lady) with the black friday sales - I saw several interesting choices - hopefully I can get one - though I know many will be vying for the same limited quantities -

my niece has had some major wrist issues/pain from a volleyball injury over a year ago - and the summer was better since she wasn't doing summer volleyball - but apparently just being back in dance started to exacerbate it and an appt yesterday gave her the news that basically she will always have pain from whatever is wrong and if she wants to do activities she will just have to deal - poor thing - she gave up volleyball because the pain was so bad - but we all figured dance would be ok (she is even looking at a college dance team) - but now who knows. So sad for her. She is really bummed - the pain is really bad (you can hear it grinding) I think it stinks that she can either give up her activities or just 'suck it up' - she is 17! Meh.

lots to do - I need to get focused and energize - just feeling worn out!

• jrbanta
    Options
    Marla, I haven't done a thing for Christmas yet. I do this every year. We didn't choose names this year but the boys say they just want their usual stocking stuffers and money. After Thanksgiving I'll start working on it. I hope all goes well for your turkey day. I take it you are hosting?

Shirley, enjoy your Thanksgiving with your friends and black friday shopping. I'm like Marla, no crowds for me. I'd rather go online or shop when it is all over on my time. How did your dietician appointment go?

I went to Cardio Drumming tonight. It was a good work out. My right knee (worse knee) hurt but I just iced it and all will be as good as it can be. My hope is that I will strengthen my glutes and hamstrings which will have a good effect on my knees. My doctor thinks some of my pain is weak muscles.

I got a lot of work done on Monday and Tuesday when few people were working at my office. It was nice to make progress on some of the items on my to do list.

I will clean my house in the morning because the dogs shed so much there is no sense doing it today. I did clean my couch cushions today and managed to get a lot of spots eliminated. Our couches are microfiber (indestructible with dogs) but they shed and lick the fabric so it leaves wet marks. Ugh! They are gone now.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating!

Jenny
  • angf0679
    Options
    I lost my log in streak!!!!! :'( I THOUGHT I had logged on Thursday but I guess I hadn't.

Today was my oldest nephew's 10th birthday party. It was loud!! 16 boys. (that included his two younger brothers) My parents were down. Dad shaved his beard. The two younger nephews had never seen him without it. The youngest (4) was to funny. I don't think he ever went near him. I think it makes him look much younger!

Jenny - I hope the medication helps Rory.

Shirley - How was your sale finds? I went to Shoppers for the "Spend your points" event today. Between cashing in my points and sales, I saved over $200!

• jrbanta
    Options
    We had a nice Thanksgiving with Jeff and Elizabeth. The turkey breast was so moist and tasty. We've been very lazy this weekend. Russ did manage to get the furniture off the deck and patio. I did touch up painting in the upstairs bathroom today and will do downstairs next weekend. Otherwise I've been reading and napping all weekend. I haven't slept well at night for 3 nights due to my knee pain. Ibuprofen doesn't seem to do much. My eczema/psoriasis is also bad so I took two of my night time antihistamines last night to control itching. One pill usually knocks me out for the majority of the night. Last night they did the opposite and kept me awake.

Now that holidays are over I need to get the tree up and decorations for the holidays. We usually do it this weekend but didn't tackle it yet. I also need to get some shopping done.

Ang-WTG on your huge savings!

Sleep well,
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    too much grazing - bad me

I ordered a new machine the bowflex max trainer or whatever it's called - kind of an elliptical - hoping it helps me get in the groove - want to get back to feeling better about myself.
  • Shirley61
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I got back from our shop until you drop week and I am tired. We did get some good deals and I can say I am finished shopping for Christmas. Now decorating the house and wrapping gifts are next. Too tired to continue will write more tomorrow.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    WTG Marla! I hope you like your machine and it helps you. Russ brought my bike inside but hasn't set it up on the turbo trainer yet. Our gym opens on 12/18 but we are suppose to get a call to come up early and try it out and schedule training sessions. No word yet. I take the stairs at work more often than not now. Knees hurt but I'm living with it. I'm looking forward to the gym and doing some yoga.

Shirley- Sorry your knee is still bothering you. I haven't even started Christmas yet. No decorations or presents. Are you done traveling for awhile?

Gray and gloomy here. Yesterday it rained, hailed, lightening and thunder. Crazy! Yesterday was in the 50's and today in the 30's but no rain. It felt dark all day.

Russ goes to a class in Rochester, MN on Thursday overnight so I will have the house to myself. Doesn't happen very often...

Relaxing so more later.

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Still hurting from all the shopping. I did go to the chiropractor today and will tomorrow, possibly Thursday and I have an apt. on Friday. I have my choir performance this weekend and I need to have less pain in my knee. I will be calling the doctor tomorrow for an apt. and possibly get an xray and an ultrasound after I talk to him. My chiropractor said it couldn't hurt to make sure nothing else is going on.

Shirley
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    looooonnnnnggg church night coming up - tired already