The New Water Cooler

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,344 Member
    We are in Atlanta visiting Jeff. Hot and humid here but he lives in a beautiful city neighborhood. Lots of southern charm, trendy shops and places to eat. Russ and I went out to breakfast and yo Jimmy Carters Presidential museum. It was fascinating. We want to go to more presidents libraries and museums.

Tonight out for dinner for southern cooking. Not sure tomorrow yet.

Have a nice weekend. Glad conferences made you happy and proud!

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,802 Member
    busy, busy few days.

Went to Aurora for a frosh game played in a storm - that they should have called. Stupidity.

Drove to Wayne twice Friday - once for our college visit and then took Zach back home, and back to Wayne for a visitation for a cousin of my moms.

Saturday we took off for Lincoln to watch niece dance at Wesleyan.

Sunday Caleb helped tear down a local Go Gold pediatric cancer fundraiser with some of the football players.

whew. Busy.

The visit went well, now it's pondering and hopefully decision time soon. I feel like he is leaning towards Concordia. Which seems like a wonderful place, it will cost more, so there will be a good chance he will have debt - I sat down with him and the numbers and what I hope to contribute - it will fall short of what Concordia will be, but if it's the right place for him - he will figure out how to make it work.

I had put together a few decent eating days - but all the traveling shot it to heck - I tried to make good choices, but I up again today.

Somebody crack the whip!
  • jrbanta
    Crack!!!!!

We had a nice visit in Atlanta. I've learned people call it Hotlanta due to the high temps and humidity. By the time we were in the airport to catch the plane home, I was wishing for a snow storm up here! Jeff and Karah don't even break a sweat because they are so acclimated to the humidity and temps. I saw a guy wearing a sweatshirt and jeans on his way to the Atlanta Falcons game. A lot more walking so my knee is sore. Lots of calories consumed so making a point to get back on track now that I'm home. We didn't snack down there but we ate traditional southern dishes, Cuban food, and big diner breakfasts.

Sounds like you were busy too. How did Z react to the numbers you showed him for Concordia? Did you also compare to Wayne or another school he is interested in?

I have my teacher performance observation this week on Thursday. My boss will watch me at a home visit. It's not a big deal but I'll be glad to have it done.

Potential rain headed our way and suppose to cool down in the next day or so.

Did you see on FB that Shirley is on a European tour? Sounds wonderful!

Have a nice evening!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Ok - I am going to do an actual stated out loud goal - I want to lose 5 lbs by Halloween. That will put me back at where I was in March before I stopped and started gaining. I was feeling pretty happy there. One pound a week. It's actually a pretty high goal for me. I am a turtle.

Imma need you to cheer me on dear J!!

Yes - I did price projections on his top three side by side. Wayne is definitely the most
    'economical' but that doesn't necessarily make it the best for him. My dad keeps harping on me and Zach about being stupid for considering Concordia (and Doane) - but guess what Dad - it's not your college experience or mine. And it's not that I want him to have debt - but a small amount of carefully considered money to set up his life - is not necessarily stupid.

Let's get those scales moving down!!
  • jrbanta
    You can do it! I'm a turtle so 5 in a month would be a lot for me but I will aim for 5 too and see what happens.

Kids need to feel comfortable at the school they attend. If he goes in knowing he will have debt he should make sure his major pays well so he can afford to make payments. Also a motivator to get done in 4 years max.

Rained all day and it cooled off to 50! I heard norther MN by Canadian border will have snow falling this week. Too early for that but I like the cool temps.

Is it Friday yet? Slow week...

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    yes very slow

choir tonight - youth group

last 'home' frosh football tomorrow, then two FAR away games.

Season will be over in about three weeks. Varsity has major beatings coming up (they lost 65-14 last week) and the next games will be worse. We got bumped up a class and are just 'out' classed. Feel bad for them. It will be interesting to see what Caleb does after this season. I thought for sure Zach was continuing because he claimed to be having a great time. It doesn't seem like Caleb is enjoying it at all - but maybe he'll stick out as an obstinate thing. Who knows.
  • jrbanta
    Gained .8 of the 1.8 I lost. I just can't seem to get it together for weight loss. I indulged in comfort food for dinner that I picked up at grocery. Russ doesn't feel well so he didn't eat.

C may just like being part of a group so he can hang with friends. Better to be busy that get in with the wrong crowd. Does he have any other interests than football?

I have my performance review tomorrow morning. I'll be glad to get it over with. Then we have teaming all afternoon, blah! It gets crazy and chaotic.

Have a nice Thursday.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I had a period for nearly two weeks and I think I am finally (hopefully) done with that weirdness and lost some. I won't take it as a loss until it's been gone a week though. Have to keep after it!!

One more fairly nice day, then rain and more rain.
  • jrbanta
    Cold and rainy here too. We didn't get the weather to get the outside stuff done this weekend. Russ did trim the trees but painting has to wait until Tuesday. Fingers crossed the weather people are right for Tuesday. I did finish painting the garage door that goes in to the house. I still need to touch up both front door and garage entrance on inside but will do so later in month.

We went out Friday eve to a club for music. It was fun and we had a nice dinner at the club. Yesterday Russ and I cleaned (vacuumed and cleaned upstairs bathroom), then relaxed last night. Today was sprucing up trees and door. Back to work tomorrow but only a 4 day week for me. We leave next Saturday for Michigan to visit family and scope out future area to live.

C's team won a big game?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    well - s*&t. I thought I was going to get a loss and then a salty, snacky weekend and I am back up. For the love of getting a grip. Sigh!

I wanted to get out and pull weeds one more time but it rained all weekend. I am trying to pin Bernie down about a schedule for getting ready for graduation but he is ignoring me. Very helpful.

We are now entering October which is our fiscal year end which is a very stressful and busy time culminating with the bank auditors on the last day of the 'year' 10/26. They are the worst.

Zach auditioned for an honor choir at Concordia and got the letter telling him he had a spot last week. Very exciting. He will go on October 26 and learn the music all day with about 100 other choral singers from around the state and then there will be a concert that night. This is the first time he put himself out there and auditioned for one of these. So excited he did and he made it!
  • jrbanta
    WTG Z!!!!!!! See, he is finally finding what he is passionate about. He will do fine and in a few years he will be a grown man and you will be so proud of your parenting efforts and the man he has become.

Sorry October is a bad month at work. It's my favorite time of year and I love having two weeks off coming up. Sorry you will be stressed.

It's cold and rainy today. I came home and put the first coat of paint on the service door. It's open and out of the rain. Hope I remember to close it before going to bed.

Our realtor photos are scheduled for Friday. It's suppose to rain everyday but tomorrow. Russ has a lot to get done by Friday.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    This weather stinks but I took the afternoon off anyway (mental health time off) to paint the final coat on the door. It has to get done today. My weather app stinks too. It's rarely right.

Better get painting...

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    yuck - only Tuesday and the loss I thought I had is gone. Again, YUCK
  • mizpaden74
    I am seriously hungry today - I have ate all the food I brought with me, chugged a bunch of water and seriously considering eating my emergency breakfast I keep in my drawer.

Meh.

Fruit at home is pretty well gone and I don't feel much like going to the store.

It's supposed to be 90 today! And then 49 tomorrow. Fall in Nebraska.
  • jrbanta
    That's an extreme in temperatures. MN has extremes but not that huge.

I wonder why you are so hungry? Maybe your metabolism is kicking in and you need to eat a few more calories to keep it going. I've read that we think we should eat less but often we aren't eating enough to keep our metabolism revved.

Rain, rain and more rain. What a wet week! My knees hurt from the humidity and weather change. High winds right now and torrential rain when I came out of my late visit with a student. No students tomorrow, just meetings at the office. Friday off to take dogs to groomers and then to sitter, pack and do some cleaning before we go.

I drove home along the Mississippi River today. The colors were vibrant, almost neon. Our neighborhood is just starting to change so not so colorful yet. I hope we see great color on our drive east.

Well relaxing so going to sign off. I'm tired tonight.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    It was 92 yesterday afternoon - and 39 this morning. Also, very windy!

Slow week but almost over finally.

Hope you have a great trip!
  • jrbanta
    Our temps dropped drastically last night too! Brr!

Just finishing up work for this week. Didn't get done all that I wanted to this week but that's how it goes.

Tomorrow is dog stuff and packing after my laundry is done.

Enjoy your weekend. I don't know how often I will check in next week but I'll be in touch at some point. Always interesting visiting family and staying with my sister. Love her dearly but she is a fuss budget and never stops talking so I get over stimulated. Russ does too. She means well and is very social. We are more quiet people.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    the boys completed the FAFSA and I took Caleb to Volleyball. We had our church portrait taken for a new directory and Zach sang Sunday.

This week will be pretty busy. Choir tonight and Wednesday, hair Tuesday and counting for the choir fundraiser. Football Thursday way away. Looks to rain all week. Yuck.

Hope your trip is going well!!
  • mizpaden74
    more rain - the farmers are stressed beyond stressed - can't get in the fields

just normal busy stuff

oh and no success on the losing front - I have a good day then a not good day - so I am not putting together enough deficits for a loss - I will keep persisting!
  • mizpaden74
    my poor C was an ice cube after an hour and a half (or more) of football practice in the rain and 47 degrees. He was still blue when he got home.

Maybe no rain tomorrow - but then rain all weekend and maybe snow. Good grief.