The New Water Cooler

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,344 Member
    Hi. I've not been able to get on this site. It wouldn't come up when I tried several times. For some reason it worked today.

Our weather stinks here too. It has been in the 70's, humid and rainy most of the time. Stormed last night and now we are in the 40's and will decrease to 30's. I'm fine with cooler temps. The humidity has been awful. David told me AK has been humid and warm too. Lots of rain!

Glad to have FAFSA done?

I haven't watched my eating and I'm sure I've gained since being here. I feel fat and sluggish. When I get home I need to get serious!

Russ and I have been touring this area so he is familiar with it when time comes to consider where we live. Today we are touring a different area closer to the city and tomorrow we will go to the next county over. It's beautiful here where ever we go, it's just about what we can afford on our pensions. Fun to plan!

Well I need to shower and get ready to roll. We are having dinner with my high school friend and her husband tonight. I've never met him. They got married a few years ago. He's from WI and they met online and fell in love.

Have a nice day!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,802 Member
    TGIF!!!

Terrible FB game last night - I wasn't there but Bernie said it was a murder - and nobody will talk about it. Poor guys. One more game and it's over. We'll see what happens after that.

Hope you get home safe!
  • jrbanta
    One more day and we head home. Glad I have next week off. Most of my week is planned but I will fit gym in. Weather turned cold and windy. Colors are beautiful!

We had a nice dinner with my friend and husband. He's really nice. Glad to see her happy.

Tired and off to bed.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Leaving tomorrow. May come back for my 40th class reunion next summer. Otherwise not until we start house hunting end of next year.

Colder at home than here. May not get another camping weekend in. Bummer.

How are you?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    can you believe how close it is getting to moving on to your next stage in life? it's going to go so fast!!

last football game tomorrow - bernie will go - and Zach has a concert tomorrow that I will attend

not being successful with my eating goals - I keep trying and then giving up - but I will keep trying

it snowed yesterday!! Unreal this fall. Harvest is maybe 5 to 10 percent done - then it's been pouring and pouring and now snow? Heaven please help the farmers. Looks like weather relief may be in sight. Please, please, please.

Got Zach's pictures back Friday night. So exciting. I am actually feeling like I love a different one than the one I turned into the big portrait - but still super excited. Spent some time pouring over pinterest for food ideas for graduation. Thinking about something different than the norm for around here (tacos or pork) - maybe donuts and bagels with something like eggs and ham to make 'sandwiches' - then I would just need fruit and chips.
  • jrbanta
    I know time is flying. Russ and I have talked about starting to look for a house next summer and see what comes on the market. We would have it for vacations and to paint, fix up, moving in the following summer right after we are done. We'll see what numbers look like for affordability.

I couldn't believe the snow! It better warm up and give us a little more Fall. It's my favorite season. I was hoping to get in one more weekend of cool weather camping and then winterize camper. We'll see...

Did Z pick Concordia for sure? Exciting! What city is that in, Omaha or somewhere else?

Dogs were excited to see me when I picked them up at the sitters. Jumping and waiting anxiously at the door while I talked to Colleen. They were ready to go home.

Glad I don't work this week. Sorry Russ has to go back in the morning. He's in bed now.

I'm not doing well at all with my eating. I need to buckle down!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Concordia is in a smallish town Seward about an hour south and west of here. About 1300 enrollment and associated with the LCMS (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod) - which is what Zach has grown up as. I think that is a big part of why he is drawn to it. I did send him to parochial school through 8th grade and he even mentioned recently he was glad he had those years there. Public school was tough for him. We had a really in depth talk last night about A LOT!!! He claims he is keeping his options open until he see where the money falls - but he finally admitted out loud that Concordia called to him the most. I am both excited and a bit terrified. I think CUNE will be a safe place for him, though of course I do worry about the money. He will get a minimum of 17k scholarship from the school - they commit to that as a minimum of aid, which will leave a balance of approx 25k - I will be able to do some of that, but not all - I know the "smart" thing would be to force him to go to Wayne which is only about 17k - but I really feel that if he has a strong pull to one, he will be more inclined to be serious about the work.
  • jrbanta
    Tough decisions. College is expensive! He'll figure it out and make the best decision for himself. He can always get a part time job in college to help with costs. Students often manage their time better when they work and take classes.

I went to an Asian Fusion restaurant for lunch today with coworkers. I'm stuffed and won't be eating dinner. Beautiful day here today. Low 60's and sunny. Tomorrow is suppose to be the same. Tomorrow I'm going with coworker friends to lunch at a restaurant by a lake west of the cities and then to a winery/brewery for tastings. Should be fun. Back to work on Monday.

Have a nice evening.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    TGIF!!

Fun highlight for Caleb. The freshman finished their playing season Tuesday. They practiced with Varsity Wednesday and last night they were able to suit up and stand on the sidelines for Varsity's final game. This has been a brutal season for Varsity. Going back up to class a - the biggest schools - even though we have low participation in football. They have played the best schools in Omaha and been badly. Going in to last night they were 2 and 6. They came away with a win last night. So glad for the team. It might not take the pain out of the season, but definitely ended on a sweet note, and an exciting night for the freshman to be on the sidelines. We'll see what the next few months bring for C

Finally a few beautiful days here as well. Hoping my dad and brother-in-law can get in the fields this weekend.

My sister is still working crazy hours. Fiscal year end is next week. I pray it calms down after that.

I see in the history on my laptop that Bernie has applied for a couple of jobs recently. Not that there is anything really wrong with that except, he is fooling himself if he thinks he will get anywhere close to the salary he is making and the amazing benefits they have anywhere else. I know, I know... there's more to life than money, but we have one going to college next year (God willing) and another in three and half after that. Now is not the time to cut salary. He can find another path in 8 years. Until then, frankly, he better suck it up. Just like I do everyday. I came back to work even though I wanted to stay home, because we needed the money. He better do what needs to be done. So there.

• jrbanta
    Has Bernie mentioned wanting a new job or does he just browse to see what's out there? I browse even though I'm not changing jobs.

Nice for C to get to suit up and be on the sidelines. Glad the V won their game too.

Today I went with a group of coworker friends to a restaurant on a lake and then a winery/brewery for tastings. It was a beautiful day so we were able to sit on the patio at the brewery while we tasted and talked.

I managed to get the first coat of varnish on my door. Hopefully I can do another tomorrow. It's suppose to cool down tomorrow. It hit low 60's today.

I'm sleepy after sipping on beer. Feeling lazy.

Have a nice evening.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Well back to work tomorrow. Not excited but it's necessary to get through to retirement. Beautiful weather weekend here. Friday and today were beautiful. Yesterday was dusting of snow. Today is a typical Fall day.

Russ and I went out for breakfast this morning. Now I'm going to begin sorting either my craft area or the laundry room mess. Those are my worst rooms for purging and organizing with exception of basement.

Went to a housewarming party last night for a friend that moved from a townhome into a house she bought this summer. It's a big house for one person but she loves it.

How is your weekend?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    The boys went the Husker game Saturday. Finally got a win and a pretty nice day. They enjoyed themselves.

A big issue around here even with just browsing is that it is a small town, and all it takes is for someone to ask about how is that B at doing his job? I heard he was looking, etc - and most places will not take kindly to it.

First quarter ended for the boys Thursday. Today is 2nd quarter already. Football is over, equipment turn in today and then tomorrow Caleb is planning on starting to go to Power lifting club. We'll see. I'm not sure how it will work since he has weightlifting class the last period of the day, and you can't lift hard back to back - or even if they let him alternate arms to legs based on what he does in school - you still need rest days or he won't get the appropriate recovery. So, we'll see.

Zach's honor choir thing is Friday and he has had the music for a few days and is supposed to begin learning it on his own, hopefully he is
  • mizpaden74
    Happy 18 to my Zach!! Surreal.
  • jrbanta
    Happy Birthday Zach! Big year for him with graduation, getting ready for college and leaving home. They grow up so fast in their freshman year of college. More appreciative of what parents do for them too. I hope C likes his workouts back to back. He should just tell his workout coach he wants to work what he didn't in class. Does he have both every day or will he get a day of rest?

Has work settled down for you yet? I went back this week after the two week break. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is around the corner.

We have a dumpster arriving Monday so we can do our final big purge of junk in the basement and garage. I'm trying to sort, organize and throw so it is easier to pack when the time comes.

Has Bernie mentioned he's putting out feelers for a new job? What does he do currently?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Bernie is the Engineering/Facilities Manager for FlexCon - they manufacture pressure sensitive /adhesive material for more commercial uses - think gigantic stickers like Menards puts on the floor - he could do something similar over here at Behlen and get to make 30k to 40k less and more expensive benefits. I understand "you can't put a price on happiness" but until the kids are out of school he can suck it up. Flexcon is a premier employer - and the grass ain't greener anywhere else. His boss might be a tightwad (frankly that's a plant managers job) - but he should know better that there are those everywhere. Whatever. Grow up. He has two beautiful, healthy kids, an amazing home, we have good jobs for now (of course they're stressful, it's work). He can chase a different path in a few years.

Tomorrow is the big, bad day of FYE.

One of the branches in Omaha, the manufacturing systems guy down there is a single dad (his wife walked out on them a couple of years ago) of 5. His twin girls graduated last spring (couldn't afford school this fall), a current senior, junior and freshman. And his very ill dad lives with them. They have one car. he has been trying to do a full physical inventory for the last month with Michele (she driving to Omaha every night to work with him). Working all the time. So, I don't want to hear Bernie whining about anything.

Good luck on the big purge!

Almost TGIF!
  • jrbanta
    TGIF!!!!! So glad tomorrow is coming.

Maybe Bernie is just going through a phase or midlife crisis. I've been there over my career wanting to do something different or have a different work environment. I'm too close to the end to change now.

Good book club tonight. I hosted at a Thai restaurant and everyone loved it. It was so nice not having to clean, shop, cook and host. Stress free! I'm doing this next year when I host again.

I'm feeling the urge to purge my whole house!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Productive weekend. Spackled nicks and holes in laundry room, painted room, cleaned out all shelving and cabinets, tossed and re-organized. Moved on to kitchen and bathroom cleaning supplies and cabinets. Tossed, cleaned and re-organized. Found dead mouse under kitchen sink. Dumpster comes tomorrow for a week. Will be purging basement, familyroom, garage and craft room this week and next weekend. Hot shower and relaxing. Russ is crabby and barely speaking to me. Not sure why. Guys are such passive aggressive children.

How are you?
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    go J!!! I envy all your purging.

B is totally that way too. Feh.

Zach's honor choir concert was amazing!!! So much joy it gave me. He is sick and throwing up this morning. So much stress that is giving me. He has such a hard time getting back on track after being gone, now two school days missed. I pray this choir wasn't a mistake. Please, please, please let him be fine tonight.
  • jrbanta
    So is Z already in Concordia's choir before he actually attends college there? Did he enjoy participating in the concert? What a great thing to be involved in while going to college.

I am motivated to clean this place out. Too bad I have to go to work on week days. I just want to go room by room, tossing, making Goodwill piles and organizing.

Did you see the picture of Amy Bodin Zollner on Facebook? She looks amazing. She told me she had a gastric sleeve surgery 8 months ago and has lost 100 pounds. I've never heard of that procedure. I only know the band and gastric bypass. She said this procedure is less complicated than the bypass surgery and safer.

Dumpster arrived today. Yee ha!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    go purge go!

No, Zach isn't yet in any of Concordia's choirs yet - this was a one day honor choir event put on by the college's music department. Kids who are accepted get to work on more advanced music with college clinicians and some of the college students as well. I did a few in high school, they are pretty cool to do.

Zach seems better today thankfully. It seems like he may be a migraine sufferer. He complained of a terrible headache (already at school before the day started) - didn't trust himself to drive himself home, Bernie picked him up, he got home threw up and slept for six hours and seemed pretty much ok. I talked to him and Caleb about knowing that with headaches you have to stay on top of the pain. When it first starts coming on, take something! Drink something. You can't wait out a headache. I mean you can tough out a milder headache that isn't fully responding to pills, but you gotta dull the throb.

Anyway, hopefully Zach rebounds completely today and listens to all my rah-rah about getting on top of what he missed.

I agree Amy looks great. I would be scared of surgery. The eating restrictions are pretty major and it doesn't eliminate the possibility of gaining back later. Still have to deal with your food issues. I am still struggling, but still trying.

Vocal Boosters tonight and the girls VB have sub-districts and they may actually win based on the records of those they are playing. How exciting for those Immanuel girls who are seniors this year. (Zach's girls from church they have gone to school together since pre-school). I hope the meeting gets over quickly so I can watch the games.