The New Water Cooler

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,800 Member
    A 7th grade girl committed suicide yesterday. My heart is breaking. Oh the pain for all those involved, for what she must have been going through, her family, friends and teachers.

Pretty terrible start to 2019 for Columbus.
  • mizpaden74
    our dog is in bad shape. Found out last night his liver is failing and it is probably cancer. I looked at Bernie and asked him, "what do you want to do?" He just looks at me and goes, 'he's my baby' - sigh. I get it. He's part of the family for over 11 years, but just because you want to try to pump him full of stuff to keep him around longer, doesn't mean it will work. So, I guess today will be more tests and talking about treatment options. I just hope Bernie can remember that out true job is to be merciful and not selfish.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,344 Member
    Rough week for you and your community. Did you know the young girl? It is so sad that these young people see no hope and can't see beyond the school years. I wish their brains could grasp that timeline. Was she being bullied?

I'm sorry about your dog. Poor guy. He will let you know if he wants to be at peace. Does the vet thing he has pain? I suppose you will have to be the one to make the decision? So sorry you are losing your cute dog.

Sitting in a very boring training all day. My butt is sore! We went to a jazz club last night to listen to Kathy Mattea. It was a good show. So glad it is Friday. More work to do on the house but just small stuff and doable. I need to get organized for Baja. I hope this govt shutdown does not stop our flights. 4 weeks and the TSA people could walk off the job if they aren't being paid. I hear some aren't showing up as it is. Our president needs to get his head out of his XXX and think about people's survival and daily lives in this country rather than standing his ground on a ridiculous campaign promise that he has already had to pull back on because Mexico is not going to pay for it directly. Taxpayers shouldn't have to bear the burden either. But we are one way or another.

Getting colder here. So much for the nice temps.

Hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    rumor mill is that the girl was being bullied. The way kids have to grow up with constant social media/apps that have no consequence on top of the turbulent young years. It's just so much for them. I can't wait for the boys to be done with high school. I know there is plenty of bad in adulting, but at least our brains are a little better equipped to deal with it.

We did go in and put Dave to sleep Friday. After the ultrasound the vet was able to detail all the terrible stuff going on inside of him. It's horrifying how much sickness he had, and how quick it happened. I mean a couple of weeks ago we were just trying to fix some allergies. To him being full of tumors and his bones wasting away. It was awful sounding. I tried to tell Bernie that I would be there for him, but didn't think I could be in the room, and then Bernie gives me this *kitten* attitude and I'm like fine, come get me. It was very peaceful, but very hard on me and now I am feeling super upset at Bernie for 'making' me be there. I always said I couldn't do that part of it - and today I am just feeling done in. I didn't even get out of bed yesterday.

Zach is a mess and I am petrified this will start him on yet another 2nd semester slide. Caleb seems ok so far, but he will likely hit me with it at a random time I won't see coming. Bernie forgets that I have to take on everyone's pain. Not just my own. And I don't bounce very easy.
  • jrbanta
    I'm sorry you had to put Dave to sleep. It is such a hard decision and very hard to do. It is peaceful but it doesn't make it any less sad and painful to lose them. Hugs to you! I hope Z handles it ok and it doesn't steer him off course for the second half of senior year.

I agree social media is a difficult thing for today's kids to have in their lives. I can't imagine having to deal with that with the whole mean girl and bully attitude of some kids. It's just so sad when a child takes their life over it because it is such a small part of what life has in store for them later on.

I had today off of work so my knitting group went to the Mall of America to check out a yarn store, then lunch, and another yarn store. I bought one item for $10. It's a hat kit for a baby with a penguin top. I'm hopeful that in the near future David and Chantrelle will have a baby and I will knit it for the little Alaskan bambino! If not, I will knit it for a friend's baby or grandchild.

Back to work tomorrow and then out to a steak house tomorrow eve for Russ' 60th birthday. Yes, he turns 60 tomorrow! I'm 2 years behind him. I bought him an edible arrangement over the weekend so we could eat it. He's wanted one for years so I ordered it Friday and picked up on Saturday.

I didn't sleep well last night. Russ had a bad dream and was screaming and thrashing, then when I was up at 3am he was snoring close to my ear. I couldn't get comfortable and my thoughts couldn't be calmed so I went down to the recliner to read and fall asleep. Wasn't restful so I'm tired tonight.

Well have the best week you can under the circumstances.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    what a fun time of your life you are racing towards - closer and closer to retirement and grandbabies maybe too. What fun.

Yesterday I cried on the drive home from work - it just hit me really hard that I wouldn't be feeding Dave, letting him out and then having our sit together quietly time. I need to message the breeder/home he came from to let them know Dave is gone, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. It will be 'final' then.

We got more ice overnight and snow expected today. We drove the kids to school because I didn't want to stress about them driving on it. Am a bit worried about the choir kids departure for their trip tomorrow. How terrible it would be if got canceled, and how much we will worry if they have to drive on this ice. Neither is a good option.

Happy Bday to your guy!
  • jrbanta
    I told Russ you said happy bday. I said, "my virtual online friend says happy bday". He was like "who?". LOL, I said you and I had been talking on MFP since 2010 and our kids have grown up a long the way. He seemed surprised. I know I've mentioned you before but I don't think he listens to what I say most of the time.

I just inquired on a house for lease in the suburb I want to rent in. I drove by it and noticed it was for lease and had a fenced in yard for the dogs. Looked nice so I went online to ask about it. We'll see if they contact me.

I'm so sorry you are feeling sad about Dave. I know it is so hard to not cry when we think about our little furry kids. Maggie, our older dog, is aging fast and I wonder if she will make the move to MI with us? I'm glad we have her but I worry about her deafness, arthritis, and how gray she has turned. We really don't know her true age but guess it may be around 12 or so.

Roads are icy here too. The older I get I don't want to drive the roads when they are like this. I totally understand your worry for Z driving.

Well we are off to eat a steak dinner at a steak house for Russ' bday dinner. I'm hungry and can't wait.

Have a nice evening,
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    hope you hear from the house you are interested in - more fun!

did most of the packing last night and keeping fingers crossed for the roads to cooperate for the trip departure tonight.

I am planning on buying the live stream of the contest Friday and hope I can record it for myself. Performing at the Grand Ole Opry!
  • jrbanta
    Grand Ole Opry! That is so great. I hope you get to see it.

I just scheduled carpet cleaning for our stairs for 2/5 and am waiting to hear back from a cleaning person to see if she wants to give me an estimate on cleaning our house in two weeks. I'm so sick of this. I emailed the company that has that lease house listed but no response from them today. I may just need to call and get a human being.

Hope the trip goes well for the kids. Try not to worry too much.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Thank you God for safe travel. Our kids and chaperones have arrived in Nashville and are having their one non-convention experience lunch at Tootsie's - having lunch and a jam session with some professional musicians. Luckily I am 'friends' with a mom who is there and she is a prolific poster. I am getting a good peek so far!
  • jrbanta
    I bet they are having a great time. I wonder who they may see or meet that are famous? I hear Nashville is a fun city to visit. Russ and I want to go there when we are retired and have more time.

Very cold, windy and snowy here. Windchill advisories and below zero temps overnight and tomorrow. May not let up into next week. Yuck!

I heard from the leasing company but it was a form letter email telling me to look on their website for answers to my questions. I wrote back and said house was not on their list but their sign was in front yard. I guess that means either house is already taken or not on website yet. Whatever!

Rory moved out today. This weekend I will tackle his walls so they can dry and I can straighten up his room. The cleaning person and I are playing text and phone tag to get a bid and arrange the cleaning time.

I wish I knew how long it will take to sell our house. I really feel the jitters about getting a rental apartment or house. I want to know we have a place to go.

Stay warm. Glad you are getting info from another parent.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I bought the live stream for the event and watched the quartets yesterday - a girls quartet from Columbus made the cut to the top 15 and got to perform, but they did not place. You could definitely see the nerves on a couple of them. I plan on running home about 12:30 to try to catch the live stream of the big group - I hope to video it with my phone on the lap top - not legal no, but there won't be any other way to show it to other family - I hope he is having fun and making great memories.

I'm sure it is so stressful being in limbo about where you will land next. I feel confident for you though!

So bitter cold yesterday. Not quite as bad today.
  • jrbanta
    I saw your video on FB. How cool is that?

I've contacted some nice apartment complexes to see what's available and to get some information. I have my eye on that house but need to call their number since I'm not seeing it online. I passed it again today on the way to an appointment with a student. Lock box on the door and sign in the front yard.

I have a company cleaning the stair carpets on the 5th and a woman coming this week to bid on cleaning our house on 2/8 just before interior photos and listing. This weekend is all the piddly details we haven't taken care of yet, caulking, clearing Russ' clutter from coffee table, cleaning basement, paint Rory's room... Ugh! I'm so stressed!

Stay warm! This next week is going to be bad here with sub zero temps and windchills, snow, etc. Maybe we will get a day or two off of school? Wishful thinking.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    holy cannoli the winds - over 50 mph -

and the windchills - not good

the kids made it home late last night - after 11 p.m. - so glad to give him a quick hug before he tumbled into his bed - 15 hours on the bus - then had to scoot off to school this morning. I actually thought he might try for a sick day - but he's at school - so yay for that!

I know your stressed, but your house stuff is really coming along. I am jealous of what you have accomplished. My place will be it's normal wreck in a few months for graduation. Meh.

Oy the wind!
  • jrbanta
    We have today off of school. Not sure why but I'll take it. The snowstorm was a dud in the north metro. My sister says they are in a blizzard in northern MI. That will be us in 1-2 years.

Tomorrow through Thursday will be windchill warnings and -30 windchill each day. Northern MN by the Canadian border is suppose to see -60 or so. Some of the metro school districts near us have already called off school for Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Of course, our district is always the last to make an announcement. Fingers crossed we get two more days!

Rory's room is painted and clean. He did a good job getting his stuff out of there. Lots of dust bunnies under the furniture but I cleaned and mopped after painting was done. He took his bedside table, lamps, the rocker and TV stand with TV to his new place. The dresser and bed were left behind. I put a comforter over the bed with some pillows, moved a rocking chair from the basement in there and it is obvious it is a bedroom and a good sized one too. Russ caulked the bathrooms but still has kitchen to do. He organized the basement but I haven't checked it yet. He says he still has some straightening up in the store room to do. The garage is a mess so that will be a priority. We are sitting pretty good right now. After the stair carpets are cleaned on the 5th and the house cleaning on the 8th, we are good to go! What a long haul. Please pray that it sells sooner than later. Keeping it clean of dog hair and Russ' cooking messes will be a challenge.

What did Z tell you about the Nashville trip? Did he have a great time? What was the Opry like? What a great experience.

Well stay warm, those are some high winds you have in NE. Will you have your grad party in your house, garage or yard? In MN, it's common to have them in the garage and driveway with open tents for rain. We had to clean our garage and hide stuff behind the garage.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    School just got called off for Tuesday and Wednesday! Yay! Thursday is suppose to be extremely cold too but they won't commit to calling it off 3 days out yet. So happy!
  • mizpaden74
    I'm glad you got to stay home in this terrible freeze. We are 'only' negative 20 - pssshhh. Nasty. Since Columbus doesn't run buses they generally stay open, but there are plenty of kids that have to walk. I pray they didn't today.

I hope this passes quickly.

I have actually been doing pretty well eating the last few weeks - and last week I was so excited to be down a couple of pounds, but then this weekend I popped up a couple of pounds and it is still on - I know weight fluctuates, but I shouldn't have gained with how I am eating. I don't think. Sigh. So hard.

Stay warm dear J.
  • jrbanta
    We are called off of school tomorrow too! Yay!
    The lady that was going to clean our house cancelled. She had an MRI and has to have rotator cuff surgery on 2/8. I put out a message on Facebook. A friend gave me a referral to her friend that is a declutter/cleaning person. I emailed her and will wait to see if she is available and interested. Otherwise, Russ and I will be cleaning room by room next week after work and it will have to do. My hand is tingling all the time now so I will be more than ready for surgery if I have to do the deep clean of this place next week.

Good for you for doing well with your eating. Fluctuations are so difficult but a part of it. Could have been water retention or your cycle coming. Hang in there!

We are touring two apartments this weekend. It will be interesting to see what they are like size wise and all.

Well stay warm! I have two more file drawers to put into shredding box. Tomorrow I will get some stuff together for garbage. Russ called garbage company to pick up extra this week.

My hair is cut and colored for the wedding. I need to make my list of clothing to take and anything else we need for Mexico.

Have a nice night,
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    TGIF!! heat wave rolled in and it is in the upper 30's!!

So happy for Friday - My sister actually went on vacation for a few days - you'd think the world would end around here with all the whining about who will do such and such. It's good they get a reminder glimpse of all they take for granted, but stressful too because then they look at me like why can't you do it? Because I don't know how.

Good luck on your stuff this weekend, hope it warmed up for you too.

Wooo!
  • jrbanta
    We worked today. Weird to have a one day work week. One home visit cancelled and I had two in the morning and a training in the afternoon. Easy day.

Warming up here too. It's 15 degrees but is suppose to be in 30s-40s Saturday and Sunday. Then the rain will come and the freeze returns so our world will be icy and dangerous. Minimum of 2 more months of this. Ugh!

I have a person coming Sunday to see our house and give me a bid on cleaning. If she can't do it then Russ and I will do what we can and it will have to be good enough. Our fireplace wasn't working right so the guys came today to clean the glass, gas jets, etc. Working nice now.

Tomorrow we tour two apartment buildings and take our two boxes of shredding to the shredding day for our city.

This will be a busy week coming up between work and final house stuff. I can't wait until we arrive in Mexico. I'm going to sit on the beach or by the pool and watch the ocean.

Have a good weekend,
    Jenny