The New Water Cooler

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,344 Member
    The next phase of life and new experiences for Z. So exciting! C will grow up a lot this year being only kid home.

How are you doing emotionally? It takes awhile to adjust to a child living elsewhere.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,800 Member
    I'm doing so-so. It's just weird. I want to 'make sure' he's up and heading to class. If he has everything set up and feeling comfortable in his room. Did he figure out how to do the community shower? Did he find some people to eat with? I know I gotta just leave it. That's whats really hard right now. It's only two weeks until Labor Day, but I'm not sure I can hold out that long without sticking my nose in! Hopefully my ansty/anxiety feelings will calm down soon.

Caleb is perfectly content being the only for sure!
  • jrbanta
    Z will make friends and figure it all out. I think they become more responsible away from home on their own. He will be internally motivated to do well.

Late so more later.
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Feeling kind of down - today has been a week. This is the longest my guy has been away. Whew. This is a new muscle and it's getting a work out!

Football scrimmage last night. Poor Caleb. Really getting beat up. Thankfully two-a-days are over. He's just out there getting hit by Varsity and the starters for JV - tough year. We'll see how he hangs. A good bit of news is that the JV line coach is the coach he had last year for powerlifting and I think he really likes Caleb. We'll see if someone finally takes him under their wing and tries to help him grow. He has potential if anyone wants to help him 'catch up.' (He didn't start playing until 8th grade)

Have a good weekend.
  • jrbanta
    It's an adjustment when they go to college. It gets easier.

Hope the football season goes well for C. I dont have a lot of love for coaches and high school sports politics.

Hope you have a good year.

Long day tomorrow with staff training. Boring...

Tired...
    Jenny
  • jrbanta
    We have been looking at bigger campers. I get nervous spending larger amounts of money. We will go to a camper show next weekend.
    Meetings for students today. Meeting with teacher's retirement association to discuss pension and to do's before June 2020, after work. Jeff and Karah in town for state fair and cabin weekend with his Dad. They will stop by tonight to visit.

Hope all is going better for uou.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I totally agree about the anger and frustration with politics and b.s. with school sports. Caleb could accel if anyone took the time to help him with his gap - but nah. I 'love' reading how if only Columbus had size we could compete better. Yep. No size in columbus. Just a 6-ft plus 225 lb super smart guy, who just needs a little extra attention to get caught up. Whatevs.

I feel so weird today. My allergies kicked my btt yesterday, so today I took a Zyrtec and I feel bizarre! I have never felt this way before, but man it's the only think I can think of that is making me feel whacked.

Good luck with the campers.

Zach comes home for his first visit today. I am excited, but I feel like I will end up bummed, because he will probably just want to hole up in room for some overdue alone time. Hopefully he will come out for the football game tomorrow and we can just sit together.

Caleb gets to go on the bus (its a big procession with motorcycles leading the buses) from the school to the stadium for the first home game tonight. Should be fun. I hope they can win tonight. Because other than tonight and next week, their opportunities for winning are unlikely.

Friyay!
  • jrbanta
    Lazy weekend. I decorated out outside front entrance with Fall decor to feel more homey and personal. Russ and I went to a flea market this morning. Weird stuff. Lots of retro toys, tools, records, etc.

My nieces husband was in town so we went to lunch with him today. He was flying home to AK at 5pm. He works for Vestas and is a construction manager for wind turbine farms. Currently supervising building of a farm in IA.

I have Tuesday off so looking forward to 2 more days with no work.

Hope you are having a nice weekend.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    It’s my wedding anniversary today. 24 years. Crazy.

Football won Friday’s game. But it was a sloppy game. So yay for the win but not so hot for the other.

Caleb was invited to apply for NHS! So we worked on the app He is really short on leadership stuff so getting in could be iffy. I’m still very proud he got the invite

Exciting to have today off. My one of two Monday days off. Whew

Loved seeing Zach. He is doing great and very happy. I’m thrilled. He’s anxious to get back to his friends!
  • jrbanta
    Glad you were able to see Z and he is happy at school. Hope C's football season gets better.

Nice long weekend, back at work today. Monday eve the tornado sirens went off. It touched down about 10 miles from us. Crazy weather every where.

Looking forward to cool temps this weekend. Hope to go bike riding.

Happy Anniversary!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Zach has joined the ACM (the computer programming club), Table games (all sorts of games), he went bowling, they are working out at the Rec several times a week. Just all amazing. He kept saying 'his friends.' I about cried. He has never had that before. I'm so happy. He says his classes are good too -hopefully that's also true. But for now I am just clinging to this burst of happiness of how he has found some people. Thank you God. He said he would be back on the next holiday! Which is obviously a ways away - but it's still awesome, that means he currently feels no reason to leave.

Caleb turned in the NHS app, now we wait. He does have the 4.0 recognition in a couple of weeks, but we don't know if he got top 10% again - He is working hard as far as I can tell. He was proud to say he got an 'atta boy' from the English teacher on his rough draft of their first big essay. He's like I know it's not a grade, but... I said, "that's great news - any pat on the back is super nice!"
  • jrbanta
    All seems well in your family. So happy for Z and C. How are you doing with work, social, etc?

Busy work week for me. Glad it is done. I have to read 24/7 to get my book club book done for next week. I dont want to read it but know I should so I can discuss with group.

Did you see on FB that Starla is pregnant? So happy for her. Exciting change in their life.

My weight is high and I need to make some changes. Intermittent fasting wasn't it for me.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    I did see that Starla is pregnant. Very exciting for them. New adventures.

I have some sort of infection in my leg with a hot spot around it going on. Just went to the doctor and got some antibiotics. Kind of odd. And this morning Bernie showed me his leg where he had his his MRSA last year and he has a new area all of the sudden. What the heck is going on.

So, yeah this week kind of sucks. :>(
  • jrbanta
    Do you have MRSA too. Its contagious isn't it? Spider bite, cellulitis? Any definite diagnosis from doctor?

Slow week. Going to RV show this weekend. Scouting bigger campers. I hosted knitting at another group member's house last night. Went well. I brought food, she supplied house and drink.

Tired so going to bed early.

Feel better,
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    well, we were told last year that the MRSA wasn't contagious. I'm not sure why his is coming back - unless they didn't fully get it last time, or if you become more susceptible to it? He went to the infectious control docs yesterday and they ran him an IV infusion of the heavy-duty daptomycin and then he is on oral meds starting today. Hopefully this will clear up quickly for him. I am also on an antibiotic - I think I had a hair follicle get blocked and infected - it's happened before, but usually it clears up after you know squeezing it out. I am also marked up to make sure everything goes smaller infection wise and will keep my fingers crossed. My stomach is a mess now due to the antibiotics and I'm tired but not sleeping. Good times (not).

• jrbanta
    Sounds awful. So sorry you and Bernie are going through this. Is MRSA one of those viruses or bacterial infections that goes dormant and reoccurs intermittently? I don't know much about it.

How is C doing? Is he sick at all? How's school going for both boys?

I'm so glad it is Friday. Slow week...not taxing but I was out two nights, one for knitting and one for book club. There is a work party tonight at a coworkers house but I didn't commit to go. I feel like I've hardly seen Russ, it's cold and windy (party in the garage and driveway), and I just wanted to stay home and relax. It was her annual garage kareoke party which is so fun. The musician, Michael, who played guitar and led the music, died suddenly of a heart attach a few weeks ago. So sad. They were holding it anyway and collecting donations for a memorial for his wife and kids.

Tomorrow we go to the camper show to scout 5th wheel campers. We haven't decided if we are up sizing but are considering it.

I'm tired of rain but welcome the cool temps. It's suppose to go back to the 80's next week for a few days. Why can't we have a nice crisp Fall that lasts at least 4 months? Is there a state that has that? I would move there.

Well have a good weekend. Get some rest and I hope you start to feel better. Maybe you need to lounge and watch movies all weekend.

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    It’s supposed to be mid90s next week. Yuck. The hottest days on the boys heaviest practice days.

It’s Homecoming. Varsity is battling it out right now. Trailing 10. Caleb said no dance for him. After saying he was going a couple of weeks ago. Sigh. This is when the big slide started for Zach. Please please please. Not Caleb too. High school is so hard

Bernie thinks the meds are doing the trick. Thankful.

Have fun at the camper show!
  • jrbanta
    My boys weren't into the dances either. I think they all went to prom senior year and Rory may have gone to another dance but didn't stay long. Dancing is not their thing.

Camper show was a disappointment. We have decided to up size and want a fifth wheel. There were not many fifth wheels at the show. Mostly travel trailers, Class B and C's. We talked to one dealer and they said all the dealers were using the show to slash prices on 2019's they want to move off their lots to make room for new inventory. We sort of have it narrowed down to 3 we like that we feel we can afford so will need to visit the dealers again and talk numbers.

My brother arrives next weekend for a day or two on his way to MI to visit my other siblings. He's retired a couple of weeks ago and drove to Seattle and Bellingham to see his daughters, flew up to Anchorage to visit his other daughter and is going to Iowa to visit son-in-law, then to our house and on to MI. Not sure if he is in a rental car or his own. The following weekend, 9/27, we will take our last camping trip of the season to a state park we've never been to. Pray for no rain since that is all it has done all summer.

I'm glad medicine is working for Bernie. How do you feel?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    JV had their second game last night. They won. I will give a small 'woot' as Caleb got to play two series. It's better than nothing. He's still super tired and moody. I can't decide if its just normal tired or something to get worked up over. Sigh.

When do you think you will decide on your camper?

Very hot again today - worried about C at practice in this extreme heat and humidity. More sigh.
  • jrbanta
    Hot and rainy today. Blah!
    Glad C got to play. Did he feel good about his game?
    Teens are crabby toward parents. He may have entered that phase. Or irritability is one of main characteristics of anxiety. Any anxiety issues with high school pressures?
    Sitting in training now and have been all day. Current topic is mental health (anxiety, ADHD, conduct disorder, etc.).

Light week at work and home.

Jenny