The New Water Cooler

Replies

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,800 Member
    I've never had Chess Pie but remember seeing a recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook.

I finally feel like I've turned the corner. It may not have been strep - but this was a miserable week. I feel better, but really wrung out and still can't hear worth a darn. Still yuck.

Work is busy, I'm supposed to be training someone, but we decided it was too risky to make someone else sick. Next week I suppose we'll have to get after it. I kind of dread it because it takes so long to train (last time I did it was at least six months) and I only got one time away out of it before he left. I honestly don't think this guy will last either. And I have new stuff to do since they got rid of people at the branches and that work has come here. Yippee. And, yes I'm still worried about making it 'only' seven more years. Bleh

TGIF for sure.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,344 Member
    Glad you are feeling better but you still sound exhausted and stressed. You must have been pretty sick. Will you be able to go back to work on Monday or give it a little more time to feel stronger and less fatigued?

The winter boots and coat that I ordered to get me through another long winter arrived. They both fit but I will look like a Sasquatch being so bundled up. Last winter I could have used a longer coat so this one comes almost to my knees.

Did some badly needed cleaning today and laundry. Tomorrow I will vacuum and mop and it's all done. I have some camper stuff to put away and work materials to sort too. This little place has gotten pretty cluttered and dusty so time to get it done.

I don't know what to get the boys and their gals for Christmas and need to get moving on it. They don't want anything so they tell me. They like their usual socks but seriously, they don't want to accumulate stuff either. I have to think it through and see what small kinds of things they might use that are practical (hiking socks, etc.).

Do you do a lot of presents at Christmas?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    winter moved in overnight - couple of inches of snow on the ground - boo

oh I was at work everyday last week - stayed to myself and disinfected everyday - but missing is not something that I can do unless it is really dire - too much going on

I don't do as much shopping as when the kids were in that 'fun' toy age - it was so easy - because there was so much they wanted. I am really stumped this year for pretty much everyone - for the last few years it's only my folks, sister and bro-in-law, niece nephew, and my boys. I feel like this I want specific ideas for each person - or we draw a name, or do donations for the adults and just try to do gifts for the kids - although their not really kids - but still want them to have presents. I'm not trying to be grinchy - but none of us need more stuff - unless it is actually a stuff we really want. Oh the conundrums.

My upstairs is really dirty with dry wall dust. Bernie has been working really hard in the basement and finally got all the drywall up and the ceiling in. But since it is open stairs all that mess keeps floating everywhere. I hate drywall dust. I am cautiously hopeful that there may be an end in sight after 14 years work.
  • jrbanta
    It was freezing here today. I wore my new longer coat. So far no snow accumulation so haven't tried boots yet. Tomorrow will start in the single digits (3 degrees) so windchill will be below zero like today. Warmer by end of week.

I think I'm just going small this year for the boys and their ladies. Good hiking socks, regular socks, Caribou Coffee Whole Bean Reindeer Blend, some Penzey's cooking spices and a little money. I'm not into shopping and they don't want stuff.

Hope your basement gets done soon. Glad Bernie is working on it.

Are you cooking Thanksgiving dinner for your family or do you get a break?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    training someone to do some of my critical stuff - it's important - but draining!

My sister is having her husbands family (which is huge) and ours. My dad is unhappy because he doesn't like being in their rowdy crowd - it's almost 50 of them. I don't necessarily love it either, but for a couple of hours I'll deal and then it's over.

Think the cold that moved in for a few days is easing off. It felt like January!

I just a report of a school shooting in Calif.

Scary.
  • jrbanta
    That is a lot of people! I'm not a large crowd person either so I sympathize with your Dad. But anyone can do it for a few hours so it doesn't become an issue. We will be opposite, just 3 of us for Thanksgiving dinner. Boring but relaxing...

My new boots are nice. They are comfortable and easy on and easy off at home visits.

We had pizza and wine with two couples that are retired. I worked with both women for years but now we hardly see each other. One of them was matron of honor in our wedding.

Today we put our new pet hair vacuum together and tried it out. I think it will be nice but it is heavier than I would like.

I'm in the mood to knit so I downloaded a free shawl pattern and ordered some yarn off Amazon to knit it. It will be 3 colors, Thyme (green) on bottom, Buff beige in middle, and an off white on top. It's striped or color block look. Easy pattern so I should be able to handle it without any issues.

I need to get crackin' on Christmas. Tomorrow I will pick up the coffee, order the hiking socks and spices, and figure out what else to do for Rory too. He will be with us at Christmas.

I'm going to practice making a pumpkin pie either tonight or tomorrow morning. It's Valerie Bertinelli's recipe and looks really good. I've never made a pumpkin pie. If it works out, I'll make it for Thanksgiving.

Hope you are having a good weekend. Nice you are getting someone trained at work to help you out.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I am trying to come up with ideas for sister and family for Cmas - no luck yet.

Full week and then short week!!! Wahoo.

One great nights sleep this weekend and then practically nothing last night. So annoying.

I really want to quit music boosters (for high school) group - I am just tired of it - but worried it will reflect badly on Caleb.

At least my Monday is almost over.

Will enjoy the nice weather for today.
  • jrbanta
    I started knitting my shawl today after work. My goal is that I will finish this project so I can use it at my desk this winter at work. My office can be cold.

I really don't like the pressure of figuring out what to get people for Christmas. I only have the 3 boys and my secret Santa at work but that is more than I like. I need to get busy!

How many years have you done the boosters for choir? It's not a life time commitment so can't you be done if you've contributed time for several years? Just say you have a very busy work schedule and can't make the commitment this year.

Mild weather here this week, yay! Possible bit of snow on Thursday but may be rain instead. Gray and gloomy out but no snow on the ground. I'll take it!

Well have a great week and I hope you catch up on sleep.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    I agree finding presents is getting super stressful and not fun - definitely not the reason for the season
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    *waves * It's me yet again. I finally got my motivation to get back at it. I think the final straw in my clothes not fitting, and needing to get larger sizes, finally came when I reached to the back of my closet for my nicer dress for my work Christmas party and it didn't fit!! I've had that dress for 20 years (It's simple enough design it doesn't go out of style, not that I care about style!!!). It's the first time it didn't fit! When I first bought it, it was a tad to big and I had taken in to fit better. Though where it was taken in, wasn't where it was to tight! I've been doing good for the almost week (it will be a week if I do good today!) and hope to keep at it. I really need to get the weight back off. It will help me more then just in my running (which I need to me much more consistent at.)

• jrbanta
    Hi Ang. Glad you are finding your mojo to get in shape. I haven't found mine yet. My husband and I are going to start yoga together, stream in on our tv. That will help with strengthening and toning my muscles which I need desperately. From there I hope my motivation comes back to lose some pounds. Heaviest I've ever been...

I agree Marla. It is not the reason for the season but consumerism has had its effect over the years. Maybe I will make this the last year for presents unless it is something special they can eat or use.

So glad it's the weekend. I have book club tomorrow morning for brunch at a friend's house. She lives too far for all of us to drive there after work. Well only two of us work now but they still accommodate us. We will be discussing "Where the Crawdads Sing". Good book!

I have to work Monday and Tuesday and then have the rest of the week off for the holiday. My program is off the whole week but I traded some days off elsewhere in the year.

Hope you both have a good weekend.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Saturday!!!

Did some desperately needed dusting. I hate it but glad it’s done.

Monday is my extra compressed Monday due to the short week so it’s one of my most stressful days. But at least I’ll have Wednesday through Sunday off.
  • jrbanta
    No snow on the ground but a storm predicted just in time for the holiday this week It is suppose to arrive Tuesday eve into Wednesday. I'm glad I only work Monday and Tuesday.
    Today I've been knitting, doing laundry and watching the Holiday Bake Off show on Food Network. Not too motivated.

I am working on my Christmas letter and trying to decide if I want to enclose it with a photo Christmas card. I'm not very techy so have difficulty creating a card online by uploading photos. I never seem to have good photos to share or I can't get to them for some reason.

I can't believe how fast Thanksgiving week arrived this school year. Three more weeks of work until Christmas vacation. Only 96 work days left when I go back to work in January and then I'm free!

Have a nice Monday!
    Jenny
  • angf0679
    Jenny - Could you order Christmas card photos? My brother and sister-in-law go to Walmart for theirs.

Well my determination to do a long run on Saturday never happened - like normal! I was lazy and spent the day making Christmas cards my church sends to all our missionaries.

Sunday is a loss for doing much of anything. Between church and choir practice the day is pretty busy.

I brought my gym bag to work with me. I'm determined to get to the gym for the body pump class I want to go to. Last week I was going to go, but didn't get home to 6:30, and the class starts at 6:30. Today, the city transit system phased in the next phase of their "Moving Forward" plan and changing bus routes to make them better. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah right. The changes today impacted every route I take. I was a couple minutes late to work this morning so I have to re-think how I was going to come to work. I brought my gym bag with me so I can go right to the gym if I have any issues going home! Hope not!
  • mizpaden74
    a doozy of a system is working its way here today. Thank goodness Wayne cancelled classes today so Zach could leave ahead of the storm. Wayne and Columbus are in an area calling for 7 to 12 inches with 45 mph wind. I am so beyond grateful that we didn't have to drive to get him in that (or him driving). Now to just hope it holds off long enough for Caleb to get through his school day and home before it gets bad here. I am very glad to not have to be traveling anywhere for the holiday. My sister is supposed to have our family and her husbands family, but she lives only a few miles away. Good fortune for me.

Jenny have you ever tried Snapfish for your cards? You can upload pics from your Facebook or computer to their site and put them in a card. That's what I used to make Zach's graduation announcements and thought they turned out great.

I can barely sit still for three more hours until I am home with my chicks for a few days.

So excited for home/kid time.
  • jrbanta
    I was trying to do Shutterfly for my cards but it didn't let me link to the photos on my phone that I wanted. I'll look at Snapfish.
    Ang- I just thought it would be easier to do online. I suppose Walmart has an online service too and they would be very reasonable in cost. I'll check in to that too. Good luck getting to the gym after work. I hope you can make it work for you. Sure would be easier to go straight there than to get home and find reasons not to go (that's me!)
    We got about 9 inches of snow in the first storm overnight. Another is headed our way this weekend that could be up to 10 inches or so. It's windy today and I'm so glad Russ and I are home and have the rest of week off.
    Marla, how much snow did you get? Is Z home safe and you are enjoying your family time now?
    Russ is preparing his cranberry sauce and drying out the bread for his stuffing. When he is done, I will make the pumpkin pie for tomorrow.
    16 work days until my two week Christmas vacation. What a wonderful schedule!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    We had 5-6 inches. Lower than predicted but enough. Zach made it home before it started and Caleb got home before it got super slick. So very good all around. Got my boys in the house. Yay! Making a broccoli salad and green bean casserole for tomorrow. Made a ham for dinner Monday.

Can’t believe how close you are to being done!!
  • angf0679
    I made it to them gym Monday and the BodyPump class!! The quads in my right leg STILL feel it today! I went for a run Tuesday on my lunch break and it was the slowest run I've done in a long time! There was a lot of walking as my legs were protesting to much. I'm going to the gym tonight to run on the dreadmill. By this evening the rain we are getting could be a rain/snow mix. While I don't mind running in the rain, I hate a cold rain and I don't want to run in the rain and the dark. (Even though I have a Noxgear Tracer 360 vest and would have no issues with being seen)

Hope you ladies have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I dug the left overs from mine last month out of the freezer to enjoy a turkey dinner in solidarity with my American friends and family. Only thing I don't have is Stove Top. It's not on sale this week and I'm not paying the regular price for it, so I'll have to go without. I was recently given an apple pie, so I even have a great dessert to go with it!
  • mizpaden74
    How much more snow did you get Jenny? We have 50 mph winds and sleet today. Probably going to drive Zach back to school today since roads look very poor on the maps.

I so enjoyed having the days off.

Back at it tomorrow. Two weeks and Zach will be done with his first semester. Hopefully he rocks it.
  • jrbanta
    I think we got another 5-6 inches but up north they had a blizzard and tons of snow. Duluth has already called off school for tomorrow. We had a lot of ice pellets falling yesterday. I haven't been out of the house my whole break. Relaxing, reading, ordering presents off the internet...

WTG Ang! Sounds like you are doing well with the running and gym now. Happy Belated Canada Thanksgiving! Glad you could enjoy another meal along side us.

Marla- Glad Z made it home and he could get back to school with decent weather. Is he happy and figuring out the studying, etc.?

My office mate turns 30 this week so I organized some people to bring treats on Thursday. I am going to make her Chocolate Peanut Butter Bark because she loves Reese's. I have to figure out what to get her as a small gift and I also have to finish my Secret Santa shopping.

My pumpkin pie turned out really well on Thanksgiving. I would like to master my own crust. I'm going to try a pecan pie for Christmas. This townhome kitchen is so smallj there isn't much work space so I will work on the home made crust when we get a new home in Michigan next year.

Back to work tomorrow. 16 work days until Christmas break! The school year is flying by.

Jenny