Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    From the garden this morning.

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Omg, those veggies look superb! You definitely have a green thumb, Bob!
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Those hills will wait for you I am sure!!! next time!!!
    Yummie veggies they look pretty vibrant!!
    Hope you get better real soon!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    From the garden this morning.
    Wow! Awesome veggies... I gotta start growing stuff.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to do a garden for a while now...gotta get on it
  • ArizonaToast
    ArizonaToast Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling? Sorry to hear you missed the hike.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Doing ok. Walked 37-min at brisk pace this morning but felt tired and sluggish and still have some congestion. Didn't make me worse though so will try a little longer on Wed!
  • blambo61
    Options
    I have wanted to do a garden for a while now...gotta get on it

You can still plant a fall garden (where I live). Do some peas, cabbage, cauliflower, brocholli, and about all greens! I was going to plant some of those today and forgot. I need to remember cause really should have done that a week ago.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Nice job, Bob! I'm sure you lost, too. Being sick always makes me retain water like crazy. Once you're well, you will probably see a drop!
    On another note, gimme those veg!!!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Decided to make a change. I've been doing 16:8s about 5xweek and 21:3 about 2xweek. What drove a lot of the 16:8s were working out in the morning and then not trying to kill myself by fasting tell dinner after. I've maintained well doing this but would like to lose faster so I'm planning on getting back to 6x21:3 for the week with one splurge day. To do that, I will move my workouts tell the end of the day after the fast. To keep from bonking during the afternoon workouts (I went to mornings so I wouldn't bonk), I plan on using either coconut oil or UCAN superstarch about 30-min before I go exercise. I've used both and they don't bother my stomach when running hard and I have enough energy to not bonk. I prefer the superstarch cause I worry some about eating a lot of coconut oil. Also the starch is very slow release so it doesn't spike blood sugar or insulin so the body can keep metabolizing fat which is what I want to do instead of burning exogenous (coconut oil) fat (that starch stuff is magic!). I haven't done 6x21:3 in a week for a long time so it may take some getting used to again. I will deal with the heat of afternoon workouts. Wish me luck!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Was able to walk for 3.25-miles today and jog for .75 miles (3x1/4-mile increments). Felt ok. Still trying to get lungs all cleared out completely. Am making progress. Did this after the fast.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan... And awesome on your workout after being sick - it's always so hard to get back into - especially when the lungs have been affected.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I haven't walked since last Friday and I need to get back to it because I really do feel better when I exercise even if it's just walking :) Good luck this week :)
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Love your plan, Bob! And good for you with getting back into it even while sick. I am a complete baby when I'm sick!
  • barbheart
    Options
    Bob what starch is that and for what purpose?... Could it be that your cold is a detox symptom?... maybe you come out of it strengthened?... good on you for those walking miles and for setting up a new eating routine may it bring you the goals you are looking for! :)
  • blambo61
    edited August 2017
    Options
    barbheart wrote: »
    Bob what starch is that and for what purpose?... Could it be that your cold is a detox symptom?... maybe you come out of it strengthened?... good on you for those walking miles and for setting up a new eating routine may it bring you the goals you are looking for! :)

The starch is UCAN suprstarch. It was invented to treat kids with glycogen storage disorder. It allows people with that disorder to sleep through the night without having to get up and eat and not go hypoglycemic and die. Sports people use it also. It allows folks to get some carbs and at the same time not shut off fat metablism like eating a lot of glucose gel would. I read that 17 of the 2016 US Olympic marathon trialers used it. I think there are diet applications also as I described. Stuff works like magic for me (only 80-cals of the stuff will allow me to run and burn more than 700 cals without bonking at the end of a fast where I would probably bonk after running enough to burn 300 cals without it. I think bonking must be triggered by blood glucose rates as well as levels and maybe that is why you can keep going on it even though it isn't providing enough cals to make up for what it allows.

I'm pretty sure my cold has to do with me getting run down not sleeping much for a week and putting in 11-miles a day while doing it. Then being exposed to continued bad air that we are having right now. There is a lot of dust in the air. I always do better in the winter. Thanks
  • barbheart
    Options
    So Bob... the starch is a substitute to eating more carbs in your diet?...or a way to eat more carbs without spiking glucose in order to keep burning fat? you take it in your window?
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You're a champ, Bob, for going at it when you aren't all the way recovered from being sick, and your plan is awesome! I'm like @brittdee88... total baby when sick. lol
  • blambo61
    Options
    barbheart wrote: »
    So Bob... the starch is a substitute to eating more carbs in your diet?...or a way to eat more carbs without spiking glucose in order to keep burning fat? you take it in your window?

I take it to:
    1. Keep me from bonking while working out after a fast
    2. It doesn't upset my stomach if I eat it right before working out
    3. It doesn't stop fat metabolism so I can keep burning my body fat
    4. It doesn't make me hungry like about anything else would

Coconut oil does all these too except I will be burning that fat instead of my body fat and I worry a little about eating that a lot since it is saturated fat.

I'm not using it to get more carbs, just to accomplish the objectives I mentioned. It is too expensive to use just to get more carbs.
  • blambo61
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm feeling pretty good and not coughing up much now and ran 1.5-miles today (3x400m, and 6x200m and also walked 3-miles). I am out of shape compared to 3-weeks ago but that should come back if I can keep working out.

Was 1-lb lower today than yesterday (I have an analog scale so about the smallest number I can read is 1-lb) so that was good. I was 204 this morning which is an all-time low for me since starting this diet. That was a 2-lb loss for the week. I've done a 21:3 fast Tues - Today and it is paying off. SW 252, CW 204. Hope to get below 200 this month!