Wow that's amazing and kinda scary :#
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Fantastic pictures. What an experience!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Very cool, would love to have such an experience.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Super cool pictures!

Great that you caught the gain before it got out of hand. That's always my issue, I know when my weight has gotten out of control, and I stop weighing daily. I am going to use you as inspiration and NOT do that this time when I reach my goal weight. I would like to ditch the scale one day, but I'm pretty sure it won't be for a few years after I am confident I can do this without sticking my head in the sand about any gains! Who knows, I might never be able to ditch the scale... Weighing every day sure is better than trying to enter every morsel of food into an app for the rest of my life, which is the freedom that OMAD gives me...
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Iv'e been a compulsive weigher since I was a teenager. Then I did it to monitor how much I was gaining cause I was trying to gain then. I would weigh before a workout and after a workout. I imagine I will always do the same even if I get skinny again. I actually like weighing myself. No need to ever ditch the scale? Good luck!
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Super cool pictures!

Great that you caught the gain before it got out of hand. That's always my issue, I know when my weight has gotten out of control, and I stop weighing daily. I am going to use you as inspiration and NOT do that this time when I reach my goal weight. I would like to ditch the scale one day, but I'm pretty sure it won't be for a few years after I am confident I can do this without sticking my head in the sand about any gains! Who knows, I might never be able to ditch the scale... Weighing every day sure is better than trying to enter every morsel of food into an app for the rest of my life, which is the freedom that OMAD gives me...

• blambo61
    Options
    Well I have an unusual post to make. Tonight at scouts we had a weight gain (eating) competition (we've never done that one before). Kids wanted to do this. I ended up being the winner!? I put down 5.8-lbs of stuff. I drank a lot of milk so lot of it was liquid. I don't think tomorrow's weigh in is going to be very good! One thing about dieting I believe in, splurge on special occasions which this kind of was. Don't do it often though! Percentage gain-wise, the kids were all ahead of the adults. I think I will be a couple of lbs heavier tomorrow but it should all be gone in about 2-days of fasting. The cost to me is no loss for today and the next couple of days.
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    LOL! I can't even imagine what 5.8 pounds of food looks like. Did they make you get on the scale before and after or did they just weigh all the food and put it in front of you? That's one contest I rather judge. That's pretty funny though. Good luck on your fast; you guys are pros at fasting that's for sure.
  • blambo61
    edited September 2017
    Options
    katjustkat wrote: »
    LOL! I can't even imagine what 5.8 pounds of food looks like. Did they make you get on the scale before and after or did they just weigh all the food and put it in front of you? That's one contest I rather judge. That's pretty funny though. Good luck on your fast; you guys are pros at fasting that's for sure.

We weighed before, during, and after on a digital scale. I ate 1-piece of pizza, 3-breadsticks, 1-large piece of Kentucky fried chicken, 3-small pieces of chicken, about 40-oz of milk, about 8-oz of root-beer (that was a mistake), 5-tacos from taco bell, and a small piece of brownie, and about 10-oz of water. I think that was it. I ate 2.67% over my starting weight. Some of the kids ate as high as 4.24% of their beginning weight even though the amount they ate was less than what I did. I did fast all day (I did eat a couple small bowls of a cassarole before I went cause I wanted to have something descent in me and not all junk food - I would have probably been over 6-lbs if I included that) and I ran after the fast so I was hungry.

I just got on the scale and I'm only about 2-lbs over my morning weight right now and I will probably loose that much tonight due to water loss by respiration. I think I will come out even tomorrow from what I started at today (so I basically gained back what I lost today). I don't plan on doing anything like that the rest of this week! I'm actually running in the afternoons now cause I'm having a hard time fasting while running in the mornings.
  • amflautist
    Options
    Thinking to myself: Do not read this. Do not think about this. Do not think about a white elephant. If only I had never read this account of your boy scout binge ...

I think I'll go play in the traffic for awhile.
  • amflautist
    Options
    I'm OK now. I fixed myself. First I thought about playing the game with a bit of learning thrown in. I looked up the poverty rate for kids under 18 in the US. It's 20%*. And that reminded me it is time for another check to my food bank. Fixed. All thoughts of binging now under control.

*The poverty rate for children under 18 was 19.7 percent in 2015, down from 21.1 percent in 2014 and the number of children in poverty was 14.5 million, down from 15.5 million in 2014. Children represented 23.1 percent of the total population and 33.6 percent of people in poverty (Proctor 2016, p. 14). [http://www.worldhunger.org/hunger-in-america-2016-united-states-hunger-poverty-facts/]
  • blambo61
    Options
    amflautist wrote: »
    Thinking to myself: Do not read this. Do not think about this. Do not think about a white elephant. If only I had never read this account of your boy scout binge ...

I think I'll go play in the traffic for awhile.

Sorry
  • blambo61
    Options
    amflautist wrote: »
    I'm OK now. I fixed myself. First I thought about playing the game with a bit of learning thrown in. I looked up the poverty rate for kids under 18 in the US. It's 20%*. And that reminded me it is time for another check to my food bank. Fixed. All thoughts of binging now under control.

*The poverty rate for children under 18 was 19.7 percent in 2015, down from 21.1 percent in 2014 and the number of children in poverty was 14.5 million, down from 15.5 million in 2014. Children represented 23.1 percent of the total population and 33.6 percent of people in poverty (Proctor 2016, p. 14). [http://www.worldhunger.org/hunger-in-america-2016-united-states-hunger-poverty-facts/]

I realize we are very fortunate compared to some. I do realize that there are many that are hurting. I do on a regular basis participate in voluntary work for others and also donate financially to a few different things to help those in need. In my church, we fast once a month and use what we would have spent to help those who are needy. We also have an opportunity to donate to a perpetual education fund that gives out micro-loans to those that it will really help throughout the world. Also there is a humanitary aid fund that we can donate to that helps people throughout the world during natural disasters. There are other funds we can donate to that build up the church like tithing, missionary work, and a couple of others. I do believe if we forget the poor, our prayers are in vain (per a few Bible passages). Yes we did splurge a bit, but also all those I was with are of similar mind as me and also participate in a lot of giving. I hope we are on the right side of things. You make a good point.
  • amflautist
    Options
    I was not worried about you, I was worried about me. I'm prone to bingeing. I had to find a way to stop thinking about a white elephant.

You do a LOT more than I do regarding voluntary work. I don't even go to church anymore. I have no right to preach anything to anyone. I'm sorry for my outburst. Very sorry. I apologize.
  • blambo61
    Options
    No problem, I'm sorry about maybe too much food discussion. I know you were just pushing back a little philosophically on reasons why we shouldn't binge.

I do wonder why we show each other food pics and discuss it a lot when we are trying to avoid it. I guess pics give good ideas for meals and also show how good we can eat even while on omad and people do seem to enjoy it. I do find it interesting though. No offense taken.

I added up the calories and it was about 3700. My TDEE yesterday was about 3000 so I was 700 over. That is 0.2 lbs of potential fat fain at most so not a lot of damage done.

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    No problem, I'm sorry about maybe too much food discussion. I know you were just pushing back a little philosophically on reasons why we shouldn't binge.

I do wonder why we show each other food pics and discuss it a lot when we are trying to avoid it. I guess pics give good ideas for meals and also show how good we can eat even while on omad and people do seem to enjoy it. I do find it interesting though. No offense taken.

I added up the calories and it was about 3700. My TDEE yesterday was about 3000 so I was 700 over. That is 0.2 lbs of potential fat fain at most so not a lot of damage done.

It's the fix! It's the same reason I watch Food Network all the time! If I can't eat it, I at least want to see it! LOL

(but seriously....)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

It's the fix! It's the same reason I watch Food Network all the time! If I can't eat it, I at least want to see it! LOL

(but seriously....)

Also, we can eat anything we want on OMAD so why not share our food pics! I think, for me, it really enforces the idea that there is no deprivation happening...
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    katjustkat wrote: »

We weighed before, during, and after on a digital scale. I ate 1-piece of pizza, 3-breadsticks, 1-large piece of Kentucky fried chicken, 3-small pieces of chicken, about 40-oz of milk, about 8-oz of root-beer (that was a mistake), 5-tacos from taco bell, and a small piece of brownie, and about 10-oz of water. I think that was it. I ate 2.67% over my starting weight. Some of the kids ate as high as 4.24% of their beginning weight even though the amount they ate was less than what I did. I did fast all day (I did eat a couple small bowls of a cassarole before I went cause I wanted to have something descent in me and not all junk food - I would have probably been over 6-lbs if I included that) and I ran after the fast so I was hungry.

I just got on the scale and I'm only about 2-lbs over my morning weight right now and I will probably loose that much tonight due to water loss by respiration. I think I will come out even tomorrow from what I started at today (so I basically gained back what I lost today). I don't plan on doing anything like that the rest of this week! I'm actually running in the afternoons now cause I'm having a hard time fasting while running in the mornings.

Oh it doesn't sound like that much food....but a lot of liquid.
    Yes, I enjoy the food pictures because it gives me ideas and it shows me that people are losing eating very decent meals. If I didn't see pictures then I would definitely be thinking I'm eating too much and then I would feel guilty and that would lead to failure. I so admire all of you that can fast but truthfully it makes me feel like I'm lacking in that department but....I'm really trying to not make this OMAD a chore (for me) so seeing people not eating is harder on me than people eating maybe too much or not the right kinds of foods. We are all so uniquely intricately wired. Strength to everyone :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    I'm back to working out at the end of my fasts. Aug I worked out in the mornings and I would eat a lunch on those days which also made it really easy to eat lunch on other days. I ended up gaining about 4-lbs or so. So now I'm back to working out at the end of the fast and the last two days have been not very hard doing that. I've always lost if I just do my 20:4 routine 6-days a week. I don't have much success if I try to mix it up (omad vs tmad days). Well I've got to lose this 4-lbs again. I think this is about the 3rd time. Fortunately though I haven't gained more than 5-lbs in several months so what I was doing isn't a bad maintenance plan for me but I just can't lose weight doing it.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Does this mean you're going to do 20:4 and work out right before you start eating?
  • blambo61
    Options
    Does this mean you're going to do 20:4 and work out right before you start eating?

Yes, my challenges doing that are bonking if I don't eat before and getting upset stomach if I do eat before when I exercise. I can overcome both those by eating coconut oil or ucan super starch about 30-min before I do the workout (I won't bonk or get an upset stomach). I would probably work out in the morning and not take that stuff if I was in maint mode but I need to fast more for weight loss. It is still warm in the afternoon so I will have to deal with it.

I went on a long hike fasted monday and Tues I ran after a 19-hr fast or so and took the starch and no problems at all. That starch stuff is expensive so its not a maint mode option for me but it is a weight loss option. The stuff is miraculous in my mind. I eat 80-cals of it before working out and can do an 800 cal workout without bonking. If I ate nothing I could probably do a 400-cal workout and then I would bonk.