Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Something I wrote elsewhere:

I lost weight the first 5 months on OMAD and then I maintained for about 19 months after that without losing much. I just didn't want to do it. I re-committed myself 3-weeks ago to just not eat tell after 5:00 pm and then anything goes after that (I don't follow a strict one plate rule). It has been a little bit of a struggle but actually much less than when it was ok to occasionally give in or when I had splurge days (I'm not doing any splurge days which I've done most of this diet). I find that it is actually helping me at work because it forces me to really get into the work to ignore being hungry. Before when it was ok to cheat, I would dwell on the food and it hurt my work productivity. Very strange but that is how it is working with me. Making this decision has really helped me. I'm not sure how this might translate to others cause it took me this long to make that kind of decision but if you can do that, then it's just one day at a time and when 5:00 pm comes (or whatever you eating window is) it is all good!

I weigh everyday but I'm only going to log once a week whether it is high or low for the week. I will log tomorrow and report. I've got a good report for this week!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Ran a 5-k today after work (fasted except ate a scoop of superstarch (I don't count that as breaking my fast although technically it is some calories [about 80-100]). Ran 28:19 (9:10-min/mile pace) in cold little windy conditions with wind in the face on the way out. Ran too fast first 1/2-mile (8:20 pace) and I think that and the wind made it so I couldn't break 28-min. Ran 1-mile warmup before, and 1.5-mile after the race really slow. It hurt but was fun at the same time!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Great that you're noticing getting satisfied on less food. I've never liked being overfull and I just don't go there. Sounds like you're really digging your runs! Must be those endorphins kicking in. I used to swim laps at the rec center...I would swim 1.5 hours straight freestyle and when I got done I would flip over on my back and I would feel like the pool was full of glistening diamonds. I just had a feeling of "Awe, the world is so beautiful". It had to be the endorphins :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    katjustkat wrote: »
    Great that you're noticing getting satisfied on less food. I've never liked being overfull and I just don't go there. Sounds like you're really digging your runs! Must be those endorphins kicking in. I used to swim laps at the rec center...I would swim 1.5 hours straight freestyle and when I got done I would flip over on my back and I would feel like the pool was full of glistening diamonds. I just had a feeling of "Awe, the world is so beautiful". It had to be the endorphins :)

Don't think I've gotten into the runners high much yet but I have experienced that. I used to swim a little also and I would feel that why after a long swim. Swimming is a great exercise and does make me feel real good.

• blambo61
    edited September 2017
    Options
    WEEKLY REPORT

WEIGHT:
    Date........Weight (lbs)......Loss (lbs)......Total Loss (lbs)
    09/01/17............211
    09/08/17............209................2......................2
    09/15/17............208................1......................3
    09/22/17............203................5......................8

EATING:
    21-days straight of no eating tell 5:00 pm or later every day. Ate ad libitum after that.

I do take some starch at 4:00 pm before run but I’m not counting that as eating (it’s my post so I can count it as I want :) ). I need to do that or I will bonk while running. It is about 100-kcals. I probably don’t eat much more than the one-platers who stack it full, it’s just spread out more. I think I was a little less than 2000kcal/day this last week.

EXERCISE:
    Fri: Rest

Sat: Hiked 9.6 miles in mountains (very steep) with a 20-lb pack or so. Did so fasted with no problem (had food with me in case needed it). Was probably over a 3000-kcal effort. Wanted to fast tell 5:00 PM. Second it turned 5:00 pm, I ate something!

Sun: Rest

Mon: 1-mile warmup run (11:00-min/mile), stretch, strides, rest, 2x800m, 2x400m, 2x200m with 400m walk in-between

Tues: 3-mile run moderate pace for me (9:28-min/mile). Later in evening small hike (1-mile) with scouts up steep hill and back

Wed: Rest

Thurs: 1-mile warmup (11:00 min), stretch, 5x50m strides with walk in-between, rest, 5-k in 28:19 (9:10-min/mile pace), rest, 1.5-mile cool down. Went out too fast and had wind in the face for 1st half. Probably cost me breaking 28 min.

COMMENTS:
    No cheat days seems to be working for me. I think it is making the stomach shrink even more. I get full on a small plate of food. I will eat about that much more snacking for the next couple of hours. I’ve lost 8-lbs in the last three weeks which is great for me. The temporary gain I had seems to have gone. I’m planning on getting to 180 this time. The plan is not eating before 5 unless it is Thanksgiving or Christmas. No one is forcing me to eat so I can choose. See you all.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes Bob you're really doing so well and activity level so high.
    "Second it turned 5:00 pm, I ate something!" this sounds like me. lol
    when that eating window opens I waste no time!

Your 5K time was very good, especially considering conditions.
    I'm doing one on Oct 1st, a little charity run nearby. I want to see where I'm at, have some fun and establish a marker that I can aim to improve on. I have no idea what my time will be but at this point I'll be happy just to put in a solid sustained effort.
    Great job on your new plan of attack.
  • blambo61
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Holy smokes Bob you're really doing so well and activity level so high.
    "Second it turned 5:00 pm, I ate something!" this sounds like me. lol
    when that eating window opens I waste no time!

Your 5K time was very good, especially considering conditions.
    I'm doing one on Oct 1st, a little charity run nearby. I want to see where I'm at, have some fun and establish a marker that I can aim to improve on. I have no idea what my time will be but at this point I'll be happy just to put in a solid sustained effort.
    Great job on your new plan of attack.

Good luck on your 5k! Get a baseline to where your at and you can go from there. There is a little 5k series by where I live and for the next 6 thursdays at 4:30 pm, there is a 5k. Usually there are about 100 people or so there. It is a lot of fun and I plan on participating. I'm finishing about 2/3 back or a little more in the back of the pack right now.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    YAY, Bob! Awesome, awesome drop! I also never really planned to have any splurge days when I started this, so I am happy to see that is working out for you!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    When I'm ready to get down to 125 I think I will try doing what you're doing but it will be strictly OMAD...What do you think you're eating plan Wil be once you get back to your goal weight?
  • blambo61
    edited September 2017
    Options
    When I'm ready to get down to 125 I think I will try doing what you're doing but it will be strictly OMAD...What do you think you're eating plan Wil be once you get back to your goal weight?

I think my eating plan will be doing a 16:8 about 6-days a week and an OMAD day on Sunday. My lunches will be a big low carb salad. I maintained well the last several months doing that. I don't do well trying to mix it up like OMAD some days and eating 3 meals the other days. I need consistency or I typically won't fast on the days when I'm supposed to cause I'm not used to that routine if I'm eating on the other days.

I think another method I may try (something a skinny 58-yr old friend of mine at work does who can run a 1/2 marathon at a 7:00 min/mile pace right now - I can't run one mile at that pace) is he runs in the mornings and then he typically doesn't eat a big breakfast or lunch (he sometimes eats a big lunch) but he just snacks on seeds, nuts, and fruit throughout the day. He will bring bags of that stuff and several pieces of fruit and just snacks. I don't know what he does for dinner but this appeals to me cause I will probably run in the mornings when I hit maintenance (it's hot here in the summers) and I would like to snack like he does after (I could fast tell lunch and do the salad thing also like I described above). I could also see me getting into trouble doing this and eating too much but as long as I'm not trying to eat big for breakfast or lunch, it might work. I think I will do one of these two methods but most likely will do the 16:8. Will see. I've got to get there first!

What about you? You seem to be doing really well with mixing up fast and feast days.

I guess we can try all sorts of combinations of what, when, and how much we eat to tweek it for our own individual needs.
  • blambo61
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Today really stunk! I was hungry by 9:30 a.m.. I did stick it out though and dove into a bag of peanuts at approximately 5:00:01! Every day is a little difficult but today more-so.

Ate at a friends house tonight and had some M&Ms. I just weighed myself before bed and I'm up 3-lbs from last night! Dang carbs. I should be fine though. I may have overeaten tonight by 500-cals or so and that is it so not much real damage and should be gone in day or two.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Wow Bob -8 lbs in 3 weeks is really great. I hear you on the hungry the past few days. Not sure what it is, maybe the being back at home thing, but I've been so hungry. Only made it to 3:30 today.
  • katjustkat
    Options
    OMAD has really, noticeably accelerated your weight loss! I love the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) method. When I get hungry I have to get busy...busy is an auto shut off to my hunger. Also when I am humming along and everything is hunky dory, all of a sudden something inner will challenge me and trip me up. Maybe it's just a reminder that the brain is searching for it's control of the body and what it considers 'normal'. If we can get past that, then the brain will eventually find a new normal.
    The Hypothalamus, pituitary gland rule us, I believe... but...I ain't no doctor & I don't play one on tv :p :
    https://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/hypothalamus
    https://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/pituitary-gland
  • blambo61
    Options
    OMAD has really, noticeably accelerated your weight loss! I love the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) method. When I get hungry I have to get busy...busy is an auto shut off to my hunger. Also when I am humming along and everything is hunky dory, all of a sudden something inner will challenge me and trip me up. Maybe it's just a reminder that the brain is searching for it's control of the body and what it considers 'normal'. If we can get past that, then the brain will eventually find a new normal.
    The Hypothalamus, pituitary gland rule us, I believe... but...I ain't no doctor & I don't play one on tv :p :

What is helping me mentally is the goal of not eating before 5:00pm. That is my only rule. I can deal with that.

Today I went to my nephew's daughter's baptism. There was a lot of family there and some friends and a lot of food. I wondered if I should eat and if it would be awkward if I didn't. I was about to ok it this time but it turned out that it was pretty informal and nobody would even notice if I wasn't eating so I didn't! It is really easy to make excuses. The situation I was in could have been a valid excuse but it sure is easy to make them even when there isn't a valid excuse. Came home fasted, just ran 5.5-miles, and am now enjoying some pizza and a salad! Each day I get to 5:00 is a success for me in my book. I eat as I please after that. I hope I will still lose weight that way. Actually I think no splurge days is helping me eat less because my stomach is shrinking more but I still get to eat what and as much as I want as long as I fast tell 5. That is my goal and I hope to make that each day!
  • katjustkat
    Options
    Yes, I do the same: 5pm ding ding ding. We have always eaten exactly at 5 and believe me...dinner is on the table at 5 straight up. Luckily my family has always been programmed to eat right then and they are right there to the second without having to corral anyone.
    At those 'eating' gatherings people are usually walking around and no one keeps tabs of anyone else's plate. I do great as long as I stay away from the food table; out of sight out of mind.
    I bet you're feeling pretty happy tonight that everything turned out just right and you had 100% successful on plan day! Got your run in and you get to sit down and enjoy pizza and some tv I would think.
    Ya...during the day I try to remind myself that the day is for hydrating and 5 is for feeding...seems to help.
    Nice job today :)
  • blambo61
    Options
    @katjustkat

Thanks! I am happy I made it today. I'm 22 days without a splurge day (I think a couple more than that actually)!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

What is helping me mentally is the goal of not eating before 5:00pm. That is my only rule. I can deal with that.

Today I went to my nephew's daughter's baptism. There was a lot of family there and some friends and a lot of food. I wondered if I should eat and if it would be awkward if I didn't. I was about to ok it this time but it turned out that it was pretty informal and nobody would even notice if I wasn't eating so I didn't! It is really easy to make excuses. The situation I was in could have been a valid excuse but it sure is easy to make them even when there isn't a valid excuse. Came home fasted, just ran 5.5-miles, and am now enjoying some pizza and a salad! Each day I get to 5:00 is a success for me in my book. I eat as I please after that. I hope I will still lose weight that way. Actually I think no splurge days is helping me eat less because my stomach is shrinking more but I still get to eat what and as much as I want as long as I fast tell 5. That is my goal and I hope to make that each day!

It's actually amazing to me that people really don't notice when you aren't eating. Plus just saying "I'm not eating" is enough for most people (except flight attendants - they REALLY want you to eat - and they want you to eat often too, like every couple of hours!).
  • brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    It's actually amazing to me that people really don't notice when you aren't eating. Plus just saying "I'm not eating" is enough for most people (except flight attendants - they REALLY want you to eat - and they want you to eat often too, like every couple of hours!).

That is hilarious, because in my experience, US flight attendants try to avoid giving you snacks if they can. They don't wake you up, and they walk by your row so quickly that if you aren't looking straight at them ready to respond about your drink or snack request, they've already moved on. It's definitely been different for me on international flights, though. On all of my flights to and within Asia, I have literally been served food almost nonstop, even on shorter flights. I will never forget that I was on an early morning 2-hour flight from Hong Kong to Manila, and I was served both breakfast and a snack! And I got 2 drinks! I was dozing off before breakfast came out, and the attendant woke me up to serve me. I've been on 5-hour US flights and not even gotten a snack!
  • minigrrll
    edited September 2017
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    minigrrll wrote: »

That is hilarious, because in my experience, US flight attendants try to avoid giving you snacks if they can. They don't wake you up, and they walk by your row so quickly that if you aren't looking straight at them ready to respond about your drink or snack request, they've already moved on. It's definitely been different for me on international flights, though. On all of my flights to and within Asia, I have literally been served food almost nonstop, even on shorter flights. I will never forget that I was on an early morning 2-hour flight from Hong Kong to Manila, and I was served both breakfast and a snack! And I got 2 drinks! I was dozing off before breakfast came out, and the attendant woke me up to serve me. I've been on 5-hour US flights and not even gotten a snack!

On Qantas it's like they are trying to fatten you up for something! There are 2 meals and countless snacks that they bring to your seat. They even bring an ice cream bar at some point. One of the snacks is always a hot sandwich or piece of pizza too, which is a meal in itself. There is also a big rack of more snacks and drinks at the back of the plane filled with garbage like KitKats and Timtams and granola bars and cracker and cheese packs. It's ridiculous - especially on the flight coming home that leaves close to midnight and gets in at 6am to Australia. No wonder I always felt like crap by the time I got off - I'd probably eaten about 3 days worth of food in 13 hours. Ugh, makes me queasy just thinking about it now.

And yeah, even the Qantas domestic flights that are under 2 hours they manage to rush that cart up and down the aisle a few times!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    WHOA! That is A LOT of food! I have never flown Qantas. I guess you're getting your money's worth? Lol!