New and Improved Ice Cream Review Thread

Options
1234568»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Just a driveby to say don't bother with the Breyers Gelato Indulgences cookie dough flavor. I don't mind their chocolate or caramel truffle ones for low calorie days, but the cookie dough is just sad. Mostly vanilla with a tiny bit of fudge ribbon and a few cookie dough blobs sprinkled on top. Bluebell cookie dough (once it's back from being recalled) is much better for comparable calories.

If you're looking for a low(er) calorie ice cream to try then give Bluebell Pecan Pralines 'n Cream a go. I'm really impressed and surprised with the amount of flavor it has for 190 calories.

I've found all the breyers gelato indulgences flavors to be really meh. The texture is too lite. It's like a cake with whipped icing when you were expecting buttercream. So disappointing...
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I love living in CNY. Because Perry's. This one's new and it's nougat ice cream, salted caramel swirls, fudge chunks and peanuts. It tastes like a Snickers and is soooo good:

Candy-Bar-188x156.png
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Just a driveby to say don't bother with the Breyers Gelato Indulgences cookie dough flavor. I don't mind their chocolate or caramel truffle ones for low calorie days, but the cookie dough is just sad. Mostly vanilla with a tiny bit of fudge ribbon and a few cookie dough blobs sprinkled on top. Bluebell cookie dough (once it's back from being recalled) is much better for comparable calories.

If you're looking for a low(er) calorie ice cream to try then give Bluebell Pecan Pralines 'n Cream a go. I'm really impressed and surprised with the amount of flavor it has for 190 calories.

I've found all the breyers gelato indulgences flavors to be really meh. The texture is too lite. It's like a cake with whipped icing when you were expecting buttercream. So disappointing...

I'm not a huge fan of them, but I can eat the ones with truffles in a pinch if I only have 160 calories to spare. I always find the Breyers base disappointing whether it's ice cream, gelato, or whatever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I love living in CNY. Because Perry's. This one's new and it's nougat ice cream, salted caramel swirls, fudge chunks and peanuts. It tastes like a Snickers and is soooo good:

Candy-Bar-188x156.png

That sounds awesome
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    So I just had my second portion of the Tillamook Choc Covered Strawberry Gelato. I am a big fan of Tillamook's Marionberry Pie ice cream, but I have to give the gelato a solid thumbs down.

The first serving was obviously from the top of the pint -- and it was covered in chocolate fudge chunks to the point of being too much. This second bowl didn't have a chocolate blanket on top. But there were still a ton of mixed-in pieces -- great if you like that many mix-ins, but it was too much for me. Additionally, as might be guessed from the picture, the strawberry is not well blended, so this serving had very little strawberry flavor. It was more of "choc chunks in bland mascarpone" than a true "choc covered strawberry" flavor, and honestly the "sweet mascarpone" gelato really just came across as a bland base without much flavor of its own, and certainly not that I would identify as mascarpone unless prompted. Finally, beside the flavor issue, the base was uninspiring -- not rich and creamy as hoped for, and not particularly stand-out in any way -- could have been any old ice cream versus a "farmstyle gelato."

All that for $5+ for slightly less than a pint, and I cannot recommend this gelato. I'll finish it (it's not bad in that I won't eat it), it's just that it is expensive, calorific, and not particularly well done. I'll have to get a batch of the Marionberry Pie ice cream to restore my fuzzy feelings for Tillamook.

Bolded an old comment above.

I haven't been eating much ice cream (but the weather is warming up!) And I know this group is just about dead. But if anyone is still checking in . . .

Tillamook ice creams are still really good! I bought Marionberry Pie again for my kids but then decided I needed to try it myself to see if reality matched up to memory. Outstanding! Rich base; really sweet blackberry flavor, and delightful bits of pie crust. One of my favorites - try it if you get the chance.
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    I know it might seem like I stump for Perry's, but if you like raspberry, I highly recommend this:

Rocky-Mountain-Raspberry-1.png

The base is so creamy and there are lots of fudge chunks. *drools* My husband and I finished the quart in one night.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Posting this for the benefit of those in the greater NYC area . . .

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Tipsy-Scoops-Ice-Cream-Barlour-Alcohol-Booze-Murray-Hill-Opening-Weekend--421565963.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Opening lines:

"As if ice cream wasn't decadent enough, now you can get it infused with booze.

A new ice cream "barlour" opened Sunday in Manhattan, strictly for the 21 and up crowd."
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    Well now. It looks like a trip downstate to "visit Dad" might be in order.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Snagged the Bluebell Bride's Cake yesterday and it's really good. Almond base with chunks of soft cake and a swirl of real frosting. There's not much point in photographing it since it's just white, but I recommend it. 190 calories per serving.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Snagged the Bluebell Bride's Cake yesterday and it's really good. Almond base with chunks of soft cake and a swirl of real frosting. There's not much point in photographing it since it's just white, but I recommend it. 190 calories per serving.

That sounds good. Too bad I haven't seen it yet.

Instead I've been rediscovering Bluebell's Cookies and Cream, Pecan Praline and Salted Caramel (this one's not great - just basic caramel).

I want to try their Ice Cream Cone flavor, too - though I suspect I'll be happier buying sugar cones and crumbling them into vanilla ice cream myself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

That sounds good. Too bad I haven't seen it yet.

Instead I've been rediscovering Bluebell's Cookies and Cream, Pecan Praline and Salted Caramel (this one's not great - just basic caramel).

I want to try their Ice Cream Cone flavor, too - though I suspect I'll be happier buying sugar cones and crumbling them into vanilla ice cream myself.

I like the Pecan Praline a lot-- I've been eating it for a couple of weeks.

There's a Grooms Cake flavor too that I saw but haven't tried-- it's the chocolate version I guess.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I guess my question was missed. Wasn't there a flavor that was pretty unanimous for the Talenti sorbetto that people didn't like? It was in the old lost thread. :(
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I guess my question was missed. Wasn't there a flavor that was pretty unanimous for the Talenti sorbetto that people didn't like? It was in the old lost thread. :(

I thought everyone was very anti mango and raspberry if I remember correctly but I seem to recall mango getting the brunt of the anti-sorbetto sentiment...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I thought everyone was very anti mango and raspberry if I remember correctly but I seem to recall mango getting the brunt of the anti-sorbetto sentiment...

That seems right.

I have seen the chocolate one but I don't like icy ice creams so I don't think sorbetto is going to do it for me.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

I remember I hated the lemon sorbetto Talenti. Disgusting.