OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hello from exhausted woman. Short version: new iPhone delivered at 1. Got to store at 1:40 and left at 8:15 -- not counting the three times I left but then it started eating data ( gig every five minutes!) so I kept going back, Total "Groundhog Day" deal. Finally had to swap the phone out, which added the final hour. It's still loading up here. Five guys helped me and all were terrific. But I am bleeping TIRED!!!!
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good grief Janet- Explains why you didn't answer my text last night, probably never received it with all that going on. Makes me nervous to get a new phone!

Cindy - You ride your own broom with pride too my dear. Your Wizard of Oz tree will be adorable. Do share pictures! Cracker Barrel is full of Halloween and Christmas decor!! Gorgeous too.

I have enjoyed the back door open the last two days working at the back dining table. Fall is finally here after a very hot year.

I am still pacing myself. All these drops are a pain, no makeup and wearing the shield taped to my face at night is annoying. But, all is worth the restored vision.

Fun evening with the Grands, JJ and I are enjoying the morning together while Izzy sleeps. Glenn has ran to his office for an early meeting. This evening Glenn and I are meeting my BFF and her hubby at that brewery for the Bama game. Adult fun.

TT: What are some of your favorite tailgate foods, healthy or not?

I am going to go get the ingredients to make a pineapple cheesecake, you can bring your own food to the brewery.

Karla
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Quick stop

Janet, it does seem the the world of technology is working against you these days. Hope this is the new of it. It helps that you are such a sweet and patient person. Hope you can relax while you figure out the new phone.

Karla, the brewery sounds fun and bringing your own food sounds even better. So happy your surgery worked. How much longer do you have to wear the shield. I don't remember Mom having to wear hers this long but that could be because I had to come home 2 days after her surgery.

TT: I love anything oozy, gooey, cheesey that you dip anything crunchy and salty into. Hence, I do not tailgate!

Off to see mom real quick, pick up her mail and drop off her new magnifying glass. Then going to the shower (the gift turned out so cute but was a lot of work) and after to deliver the food to daughter's BFF and visit a bit. Edd wants to go to a hayride and bonfire tonight that an old friend of his has every year. I am not enthused, don't know the guy, and may beg off if it is too rainy and cold. Need a do nothing night I think

Later
    Patti

• xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies,

Hope that the weekend provides you all with some valuable "downtime" to refresh and renew the body, mind and soul. Some weeks just seem to be filled with errands and appointments that can test one's patience to the max, as has been the case for several of you lately.

Whirlwind of a week here; Myron's 73rd birthday was Thursday, so we went shopping for some new footwear that he desired and also picked up a spiffy new cologne for him! Of course, we just grabbed some lunch while out and about and the healthiest available was Subway. Had loads of fun and laughs together just poking around in the city and picked up a few items we needed from Costco as well.

Yesterday we went to the local salmon hatchery and watched as the first of the season's returning salmon worked their way up the "ladder" at the site. The advantages of living near such beautiful forested ocean spaces is easy to see on the hike we fit in afterwards. Fortunately the bears were absent, as the salmon-run has just begun, but we did keep noisy!

Today it is pretty rainy outside, so will need to find indoor activities to keep ourselves busy. If the rain levels off some this afternoon, could get out for some more hiking in the area nearby.

Pleased that you are taking the recovery slowly, Karla and that the vision is so much better!

Cindy, as you close down the camping for the season, hoping you can find moments to relax.

Janet, those storage projects are wonderful ideas and your carpenter sounds skilled to deliver.

Patti, your energy levels always amaze me. You seem to accomplish it all with a smile!

Suzi, hope all is well in your world as you settle back into the regular routines of life at home.

Myra, wishing you a great weekend with family as you find ways to keep active with furry ones.

Big hugs to you all and thank you for your stories, comments and humor. You make my day!

Love,
    MaryLynn
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Phone finished loading and is working fine. Whew! But I had to go back to wipe my old phone. Ran errands this morning, now in until Monday, hoping to watch football and maybe get some sleep (last night wasn't good -- no surprise).

New month, new resolve here. Wish me the power to perevere.

TT: Apples are a must. Any kind of dip is good too. With tailgating, the worse for you, the tastier!
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning friends. We had fun and all the Alabama teams won yesterday. College, that is. We are so proud of the local Alabama Jags team. We were not expecting them to win again San Diego as they were on a winning streak, but they did. Did anyone see that Tennessee Georgia game. Wowzer. Fun times with my BFF and Glenn finally has a Football wife. lol.

I finally was able to focus enough this morning to complete the credentialing on the new PA at the Family Practice office and I am going to ride out there this morning and close the books. Jason goes back to court in the morning on that child support issue, he didn't say if he wanted me to go, but the judge is supposed to rule on that lien that is on his house that his exwife is responsible for. Such a HOT mess as the saying goes. I have that crown startup on Tuesday and back to Birmingham on Thursday evening, plus Angelique has the surgery on Thursday morning in NOLA. Uggggh.

Seems like we all have bunches going on with family and friends. Thank good we have each other and this board to console each other.

Janet- I concur with Patti that you have been through the mill with the electronics with your DVD player and now your phone. Geez. I hate technical issues defer them to Glenn. lol.

Mary Lynn- Sounds like a fun day out with your hubs.

I better get going,

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    TT: How about this week we do a recipe swap? It's always nice to post fall recipes. Do you have anything new or old to share? Let's do it on this board and not our other one. I saw several on Facebook. An oreo ball halloween set that were too cute. But also a couple quick cake recipes that looked interesting. There are lots of pumpklin spice going around. Cindy has always liked my chicken tortilla soup recipe. That reminds me, I tagged a good looking crockpot butternut squash soup on FB yesterday too.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good Sunday morning, or nearly afternoon here. The shower yesterday was a tea party complete with scones, macaroons, lemon and lavender tea biscuits, clotted cream, strawberry lemonade cookies, dates stuffed with goat cheese, chicken salad croissants and 5 pots of different flavored teas. All of it homemade by the bride to be and her BFF. My favorite of everything I tried was the goat cheese stuffed dates with th npmacaroons a close second. Since I and a few others were not tea drinkers we had our choice of fruited water or wine for our tea cups. I had a little of both. So decadent to drink wine Fromm a fine china cup, lol.There were 2 very quick and easy games with the loveliest prizes. So enjoyed meeting more of my daughter's family, especially her Aunt Betty who is 79 years old and the current matriarch of the clan. She had tears in her eyes as she told me how much Susie's mother would have loved to have met me and how happy show would have been to have known that Susie found me. Now I won't feel like a stranger at the wedding. My granddaughter to he's sister works in the forensic lab for the Nashville PD, what an interesting job and she was an absolute hoot! Did not get to deliver the meals to my daughter's BFF as she was not up to company by the time we were done at the shower so Susie will deliver them today. I added 2 of the mini meatloaves, so with the other food there was enough for 5 or six meals. My personal victory of the week: I had a large bag of Hint of Lime Tostitos, to go with the soup, sitting on my counter since Wednesday and I did not open. This is one of my very favorite chips. Today I am going to make the rest of the peppers into jelly. I need the freezer space. I want to be able to include the jelly in some Christmas gifts this year, if Edd doesn't eat it all, lol.

Karla, your week sounds very busy, especially with the trip to B'ham. Will you be going up wed and spending the night or are you going to make it a one day trip because of Evangelique's surgery? Is Glenn going with you? Your day yesterday sounds like exactly what you needed to wind and decompress from your week.

Cindy, anxious to hear how your book selling went. Hope Rick is not too upset over closing the camp early.

Janet, enjoy your laying low time with your new phone and DVD player.

Mary Lynn, you and Myron seem like a perfect match, always enjoying your time together doing the big and little things. How long have you been married? What did you both do for a living?

Myra, so hope you stop by to visit with us soon. How is it going with your new fur babies?

Suzi, how are things in your world?

TT: will need to find a good recipe to share, stay tuned.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Hi, all -- Technology mostly cooperating. I have a new router I have yet to install because I just don't feel like it. When the mood strikes, will do that.

Hoping for a very quiet day except for a few chats with friends. My dear friend who lost his brother to suicide on Monday called -- therapeutic for us both. And our other great friend (the three of us are a wacky unit) called later; he and I had a great talk about lots of things too. So glad I have these terrific guy friends of long standing. Kinda makes up for my brother being sort of a jerk to me most of the time. And they have both chosen first-rate women, who are also my friends.

Karla, another heavy week for you -- do you have a vacation on the horizon soon? A REAL one -- getting away without a strenuous agenda? Hope so.

Hoping for a very quiet day here -- carpenter will be back early tomorrow. Have a fair amount of thigns to do and hoping to get the straightening up done shortly and move to something productive (pants organization?). Trying to get online tasks done soon and move onward to football -- two good games here (and I can watch my Patriots' highlights via Red Zone).

Michigan won. Louisville lost a close one, and I loved the wild finishes for TN and NC. Karla, sorry, had hoped KY would play well above their ability -- my dad really detested Saban, for good reason, so I must always root against Bama, though if they played ND I might have a tough time deciding.

TT: I rarely use recipes but will give it some thought. Need that tortilla soup recipe again, please, and need to check out the soup recipe you posted yesterday -- I do my own. I would suggest, though, that we not post Oreo/cake/etc. recipes here -- too tempting!

Have a great day and may the coming week be kind to us all.

• cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies-
    Book event is next Saturday but I am organized and ready except for the price page and one page sales sheet Just posted my blog- being silly
    We didn't officially close camp Rick is still hoping for one more weekend. But we didn't stay I did a bunch of cleaning out an lots of papers to shred- I have bank statements from '95
    Didn't realize it was that bad.LOL
    Janet- so sorry the phone is giving you issues.
    Karla- the patch will be more than worth it in the long run
    Patti- what is the saltine toffee you speak of.
    MaryLynn good thing you missed the bears- Salmon is their favorite meal I think.
    Suzi- If you're lurking- hello
    Need to run- Cindy
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! We came home from the lake Friday and I had a very busy day yesterday - WW and then Old Timers Day in Jones, my hometown. Meant to get here to check in, but didn't quite swing it. We had a good relaxing time at the lake and were much lazier than we usually are when we go. We fished and boated a little, but the water is already too cold to swim - I'd been holding out hope we'd get one more swimming trip in but no such luck.

At WW yesterday, I was down 1.2, which I'm very proud of given I was on steroids! I focused on tracking all my food and although I was way over my weekly "bonus points" (I follow the Simply Filling plan) and didn't get in much exercise, was successful. I didn't starve myself either. The steroids made me much more hungry than usual, but after too much cake and sweets at the wedding last Saturday evening, I made sure to up my protein at meals and had things like FF Greek yogurt, beef jerky, nuts and fruit for snacks between meals. I'm very happy with the outcome.

This week, my focus will be to up the exercise, with a goal of 10,000+ steps daily, the Y twice. I have made myself a list of outdoor chores that need to be accomplished and will help keep me active too. My goal for the week is 100 fitpoints.

Karla - I like having recipes for our topic this week. But agree with Janet that we should focus on HEALTHY recipes. We need to be sure as we support each other, that we are providing support for a healthy lifestyle and don't wind up being "co-conspirators", reinforcing unhealthy habits. Now, I don't mean for that to sound like that's what has been happening, I don't believe it has. I just offer it as a cautionary tale.

I'm so happy to hear of your eye surgery success!

Janet - I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. A coworker of mine once said that he believed suicide to be the ultimate act of selfishness. I thought that a harsh statement given how terribly desperate someone must be to even contemplate taking their own life, but the toll on those left behind is absolutely horrendous.

UGH! Technology HELL!!! Been there, done that and am probably gonna be taking a little trip myself before long. I literally HATE the new laptop I got less than a year ago. I let Kade, (Jessi's boyfriend's brother) talk me out of getting a MacBook when my old laptop died. Now Jessi and Garrett are on a break, Kade's in school and working full time and has been "too busy" ever since Jessi and Garrett's break to help. This piece of crap won't stay connected to the Internet and has somehow spontaneously deleted my apple drivers. Now I can't even load all that music from the CD's I re-ripped onto my phone. My next good paycheck is going toward a new MacBook. Jessi and Garrett, Kelly and her husband and both their kids all have Macs and are very happy with them. They're also very happy at how easily their computers interface with their iPads and iPhones. Count me in!

Patti - oh happy dancing hugs for you! I just LOVE that Susie's aunt said such nice things and you are getting to know her adoptive family as well as she is getting to know yours! Also very good to hear better news on your Mom's eye and am glad she is agreeable to the medical alert button. That should help relieve some of your worry about her. That stubborn attitude can be both a blessing that helps enable folks to maintain independence as they get older, but can also be a bit of a curse when they really do need help. Heaven knows I certainly lived that with my Daddy.

Cindy - good for you for donning your witch hat and demanding to come home rather than stay and be cold and miserable. Great job at finding a compromise with Rick and agreeing leave camp open to maybe squeeze out one more weekend for him. Best wishes for a huge success at the author event next weekend.

MaryLynn - I know y'all are enjoying your hiking and cool fall weather. We've finally had a bit of a break from daytime heat this past week, and will have temps into mid-80's this week but nights have cooled off quite a bit. My tomatoes, which were nearly played out from heat when we got home from our trip, are mounting a comeback with the cooler temps.

Bert - hope you're having a wonderful visit with your brother.

I'm off to troll through recipes. Our family is currently working on a cookbook project and I need to get some things submitted. While I'm in the business, I'll post some of them here.

Suzi
  • luzingg
    Options
    Suzi, so happy to see you here and even happier to hear of your continued success. Can't wait to see what family recipes you share with us.

Cindy, oops I got the weekend wrong. I did the file clean out a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how far back I had kept some stuff. It was interesting to see my tax returns from when I was a new nurse.

Janet, you have the best friends and they always seem to lift your spirits, console your sole and share in your joys and sorrows and you do the Sam effort them. Count yourself truly blessed.

Well I tackled the pepper stash in my freezer, it took over 4 hours to clean and process them all. Started with 8 gallon bags of frozen peppers, this equates to 16 cups of minced peppers. I used 8 cups to make 19 half pint jars of jelly. I froze the rest and will turn them into jelly at a later date. Ned to buy more jars and more pectin. I am bushed. The last of the jars are being processed now. I have shared the jelly with several people and all have said how much they love it. Ok now I have to sign off. I just poked myself in the eye and even though I wore gloves for the whole deal it still burns like fire. Cold compress and keeping eye shut should fix it.

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning :) I'm going to head back to the workplace this morning, but I won't push myself. Glenn is wanting me just to totally retire. I am going to court with Jason this morning on that lien on his home, moral support, plus near podiatry office so I will go there after. It is so difficult when it I is JJ's mother he has to fight against.

Suzi- yes, I am excited about your family recipes and still want to obtain that previous published cookbook. Can u out send me the link again? I'm sorry about the kid recipes, but I still cook for my family in addition to my healthy dishes.

Patti- So happy for your growing connection to Susie's family. You need your own bloodline side in addition to so much of Edd's. It is what makes us whole. Her Aunt sounds precious.

Janet- You are a treasure of a friend to many, me included.

I need to run. I will keep you posted.

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Good morning, friends.

Patti, what a lovely shower. Your family continues to expand, and to hear how welcome you are -- especially what Susie's aunt said -- warmed my heart. We should have lunch again soon!

And yes, I feel deeply blessed. As the family Martian, I had to seek "my tribe members" elsewhere, and found them in all places. When you're a lifelong singleton whose family considers you "different" because of it, friends are essential to sanity. And you are all in that band!

Karla, sending good thoughts for Jason's court appearance. So hard to have within-family legal squabbles. Hope you can move up your retirement date.

Suzi, you're doing SO well -- makes me very happy.

Cindy, hoping this week will be less fraught. Sounds like you had a productive weekend. Going through papers is down my list but necessary. My local Goodwill has locked bins where you can deposit stuff to be shredded.

Bert, hope you and your brother shared a lot of hugs and joy.

MaryLynn, can you send some of your energy this way, please?

My October resumption of my "resume" has been successful so far and day three is here. Aiming to get used to saying NO while out and to making good choices at home,

• luzingg
    Options
    Monday, Monday........good morning

Karla, sending prayers that things work in Jason's favor in court today. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some woman will go to just to be vindictive. Mike went thru it with his ex but I am happy to say she never used his daughter as a pawn. Are you ready to retire and in a place where you can? If so, go for it. I retired at 53 and never regretted it.

My jelly doesn't seem to be setting, will know for sure later today. There is a fix but it means emptying all the jars, resterilizing, redoing the jelly, refilling and reprocessing the jars. I want to cry but not willing to just chuck them all. Oh well. Grocery trip coming up. Need to get ready for my Yaya weekend. Think we will be scrapbooking so need to get some stuff together to finish an album I have been working on for 2 years, lol. Keeping the food simple, eating up all the stuff in the freezer there plus some fresh veggies. Had some wild dreams this morning, very funny stuff, all related to the cabin. So much so I wanted to go back to sleep to continue the story.

Better get it in gear
    Have a wonderful start to your week ladies
    Patti
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I've been MIA for several days as I was visiting with my brother. We had a good visit. I helped organize his closets from the move to the first floor apartment so he could have better access to them, and I also cooked lasagna, chili, and peanut butter fudge. I got them all in individual bags and froze them. He's having pain around his waist. The doctor is ordering another MRI as he thinks the radiation may have done something to that area as that was where the radiation was administered.

Janet: I hope your storage units will help you.

Cindy: Mike had his colonoscopy. The doctor removed 3 polyps and we are waiting for the results. He also has a few diverticulo that aren't a concern at this point. We are both glad he had it done. The doctor told him if he had waited, the polyps could have turned into cancer.

Patti: So glad there are no tumors in your mom's eyes. OMG about what the drs in her town told her. I can't imagine having injections in the eye. It's good that she is now asking for help.

Suzi: I've never had a root canal. I hope it wasn't too bad for you. Congrats on your weight loss.

Karla: Congrats on your procedure. Hope your drooping eyelid clears up for you.

I'm heading to the store. Today is a gorgeous day. I'll work in the yard for a while. I've been busy this morning getting things finalized with my students. Have a great day, everyone.

Bert
  • smack59
    Options
    Mornin' y'all! I've been to yoga class and the grocery store, taken Dinky on our one-mile loop through the neighborhood, showered, posted another recipe to the Family cookbook. Whew! Time to check in here and post a couple recipes.

Janet - I would like for you to try something for me, please. Try some form of visibly giving yourself credit for each good decision you make. You are so strict with yourself! I understand that you know your body best and know what works for you - nobody can argue with your supreme success! I know, too, that you've endured many years of bullying and I believe that has taken a toll on your ability to celebrate your successes. Just try keeping a small notebook and pen handy, and every time you say no to a treat, or yes to a healthy choice, make a note about it. This practice was truly eye-opening to me, and I think it will be to you, too.

Karla - I'm not sure what cookbook link you're talking about. The original cookbook was printed about 25 years ago and the company is out of business, so we're doing another one.

Patti - Hope you get the jelly jelled. What a PITA to have to empty jars and redo!

Bert - so glad you had a good visit with your brother and I'm sure he is very appreciative of your help with meals and closets.

Waving hello to everyone else......here come some recipes.

Suzi
  • smack59
    Options
    Veggie Salad

Ingredients:
    2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
    1 yellow squash, diced
    1 zucchini, diced
    2 large carrots, diced
    1 small red onion, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    1 cucumber, diced
    1 large stalk celery, diced
    1 cup frozen green peas
    2 cans corn, drained and rinsed
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda)

Directions:
    Mix all vegetables together in large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients together in small bowl and mix well. Pour over vegetables and stir to coat. Store in refrigerator.

Number of Servings*: Not sure, but a LOT!

This makes a huge batch and you can pick and choose what veggies you want to use. I like to mix as many different colors together as I can because it looks so pretty. It keeps well in the fridge for a week or more. I use a mandolin to process as many of the vegetables as possible to speed up prep time.
  • smack59
    Options
    Nancy's Southwest Stew
    Ingredients:

2 lbs. very lean ground beef
    1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
    1 can (15 oz.) ranch style beans
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 small jar picante sauce
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    salt to taste
    1 large diced yellow onion
    2 cans (17 oz.) whole kernel corn
    1 tsp. ground cumin (or to taste)
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    shredded cheddar cheese, optional

Directions:

In skillet, brown beef and onions. Drain any excess fat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 15 to 20 minutes

Nancy, my Mama, loved to collect new recipes from magazines and try them out on us - with varying degrees of success. This is one of her keepers. My Daddy liked it so much that after Mama died and I was doing much of his cooking, this was about the only thing he would request.

• smack59
    Options
    Strawberry Shortcake

Ingredients:

1 quart strawberries, cleaned and sliced
    2 small packages fat free, sugar free instant vanilla or French vanilla pudding
    Skim milk as called for on pudding packets
    8 oz container fat free Cool Whip
    1 pre-made sugar-free angel food cake

Directions:

Tear angel food cake into bite-size pieces and put half in the bottom of a deep bowl or other glass container. Top with half of strawberries. Mix one package of pudding with milk then pour over strawberries and cake pieces. Repeat layers of cake, strawberries and pudding reserving a few strawberry slices as garnish (if desired). Top with Cool Whip and garnish with reserved strawberries.

Chill for at least 15 minutes before serving.

This recipe has been modified to make it more heart-healthy and WW-friendly. I always make these modifications and nobody ever knows the difference unless I tell them. I have a large cut-glass bowl with tall sides that was my Mama's and I put it in this bowl - looks really pretty and makes me think of both my Mama and my Gram, who was diabetic and LOVED strawberry shortcake.