OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies-
    Its a wicked tough Monday but I will hang tough and make it out the other side. Things are still a struggle in my personal life- have I told you how awful severe depression can be on those who love the people who suffer. Sigh- I could use some prayers of support to get through.
    Work if fine overall and everyone is traveling this week to Phoenix so it will be quiet here. Working on a newsletter and just needed a break.
    I'll post my chili recipe or soup but not until tomorrow.
    Hugs to all
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Suzi, you packed a lot into your day. You make me feel lazy. Thanks for the recipes

Cindy, saying prayers for you and your love one. My daughter suffers with depression but I don't think it severe at this point. I know she is on medication and has been for many years. She tends to not communicate with me much when she is depressed.

Here is my addition to the recipe collection

Skinny Garlic Chicken

1Tbsp EVOO
    2 Tbsp fresh chopped garlic
    1/4 Cup brown sugar
    1/2 Tbsp water
    4 4ounce BS chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 450. Spray cooking sheet
    In small pan sauté garlic in oil until tender, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in brown sugar and water
    Put chicken on baking sheet, season with S&Pp, cover with sauce (can prepare to this point and put in fridge)

Bake 15-20 minutes

This is very tasty and tender.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hi again, everyone! Some good recipes here. Great idea! Stocked up today on pantry staples (canned tomatoes, beans, pumpkin) and got ground turkey to make chili.

Cindy, big hugs. Full empathy here, based on tough experience.

Bert, I know you were a big help to your brother; glad you had time together.

Patti, hope the jelly sets up -- is it made from hot peppers? Yum.

Karla, hope you can relax this evening. I second Patti's suggestion that you obey the urge to retire. I did it a few years early but have never regretted it. With your Wyndham membership, you can have your tie free to travel and enjoy the grandkids -- and less stress, which you've had far too much of lately.

Suzi, you're right -- I do have difficulty giving myself credit, partly because I have always had to fight to get any credit for lots of things - & I just get tired of the fight. The world was very hard on me an taught me to be hard on myself. While I am not a notebook person, I promise to begin and end each day giving myself credit for what I accomplished and to set my intentions for the next day. Your support and wisdom are treasured!

So far, so good today. I have fresh tilapia to make for dinner and will have a salad. Hope everyone has a relaxing evening.

• smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Janet (((BIG HUGS))). I just absolutely LOVE you and wish I could do more to help you feel the love. I was fortunate enough to be raised by a very loving and supportive immediate and extended family. While in high school, I encountered some pretty extreme sexism in athletics. Girls just weren't considered important enough to receive the same resources boys athletic programs did. We had to fight for everything we got. I had enough of that crap then to last me a lifetime and absolutely refuse to put up with it ever again.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I have a visit this morning and then will run some errands. I have a meeting at church tonight. Have a great day everyone!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Last night we had our new Allstate Rep meet us about our policies and he brought his Allstate investment partner and he and Glenn had s great meeting. We have a huge amount of life insurance policies they reviewed for us we revived advise on and I have homework to do to obtain information we need to make decisions.

Suzi- I'm going to make that Southwest Stew tonight! Glenn will love it. I have made the strawberry shortcake with layers of yogurt and fruit in a fluted glass dish and it is awesome. Thank you. The cookbook was one your Aunt made and was for sale.

Patti- The garlic chicken sounds simple and tasty. But what is BS chicken? Please take the time to meet Janet for lunch, how I envy you being close enough to do so.

Bert- you are a marvel of a sister. Prayers for Mike's results. Thank God he got the colonoscopy. So many do not dovthis test.

I start my crown today, finally!!

Karla
  • smack59
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Karla - BS chicken is boneless, skinless, I believe. Hmmmmm.......the only other cookbook I can think of is one Kelly and Mike's Mom, my Aunt Peg, would have been involved in for the church a looooonnnnnnggggg time ago. So sorry, but I just don't know. There is a huge word file a WW buddy gave me back when I first started that I has a ton of crockpot recipes with the old original points values. Could that possibly be what you're thinking of?

Bert - I'll just echo Karla's sentiments on Mike's colonoscopy results and the fact that he's willing to have one.

I'm working in the office all day today so I need to get with it! I'm trying to knock out as much as I can this week in hopes of having most of next week free to shop and do all the girl stuff I want to while Dave and the boys are fishing all week!

Suzi
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Karla, good luck with the first stage of your crown and getting your policies updated. How did court go yesterday for Jason, hope it was all in his favor. BS is boneless, skinless. I have made this dish and it is delish and so easy. You need not worry about me finding time for Janet, she is a major joy in my life and I love having her close enough for us to meet when we are both are able.

Janet, speaking of meeting, let's find time to do so before the weather gets bad and before you get your foot fix done.

Bert, your visit with your brother sounded so productive. I bet he wishes you were closer. Hope they are able to control his pain and find no more problems from his radiation. How blessed he must feel to have you as his sister.

Suzi, love seeing you here and love your advice to Janet. I too feel fortunate to have been raised by such a supportive family.

Cindy, at least you will have some peace and quiet in your office this week. Enjoy it while you can.

Need to buy more lids for my jelly jars so that I can fix the "set" now that the trial batch worked. Hope to do that tonight or tomorrow. Will be so happy to get my hair done tomorrow. It grows so fast that the stripe is looking like a landing strip on my head, lol. I am going to start growing it out to a short bob with bangs. Have 3 styles to show my hairdresser for her input. Menu is set for the weekend and I will hit the grocery tomorrow for what is needed. I have lots of food in the freezer at the cabin and this menu will use up most of it. That was my goal. There will only be 4 of us this year but we will have a fun and relaxing time. Mom is all set up with her Lifefone, she begrudgingly put on the pendant yesterday and tested the system. I also spoke with the office manager at her apartment complex to give her a heads up. The crew there is so nice and the maintenance guys have always been extra helpful. Speaking of mom, time to head her way so we can watch our recorded shows and finish up some paperwork for her Lifefone.

Until later
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    Options
    Just doing a quick drive by-
    Hello
    Until later
    Cind
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Patti- No offense on Janet, just noticed she has mentioned it several times now. :) Jason's court went with him making support payments to the lien instead of ex, doesn't seem right, but what judge declared.

Cindy- Hi girl.

Dentist was great, temporary is on and I am picking up Shrimp and Grits for lunch. Something easy to eat.

Karla

• xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies,
    Dropping by to say hello and see how you are all coping with what is "on your plate" lately,

Now that I think of that phrase, it reminds me to be mindful of what is literally on mine. One tactic that seems to be working in our lives is to use smaller plates. Measuring serving sizes also seems helpful to me, along with an effort to always include some produce (veg or fruit). What we are finding ourselves doing is eating our "more substantial meal" earlier in the day and if we are truly hungry in the evening, we often enjoy a bowl of cereal and milk/yogurt.

We went back out to watch the salmon coming upstream at the fish hatchery nearby and enjoy a walk in the woods. This time a small black bear was browsing along our river pathway! That cut short the walk, as we turned around pretty quickly! The bears are more interested in the salmon than in pursuing people, but I didn't want to surprise or interrupt them in any way.

After poking around the local rivers for a couple of hours, we headed to the grocery store to pick up a few needed items. Whenever I see crab, I crave "crab cakes", so we picked up some crab meat. I've never made them and would love to hear any ideas or recipes from you girls!

Enjoy your day, including the food you select and the activities you engage in, as well as the time you are able to spend with those you care about, including yourself.

Love,
    MaryLynn
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Suzi- Have you tried the stew with Ground turkey?

Hi Marylynn

Karla

• luzingg
    Options
    Mary Lynn, here is a recipe for crab cakes I have tried and like, it was actually a WW recipe, I think

1 1/2 T egg whites
    1 1/4 T mayo (lite or full fat, you choose)
    3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
    Dash of Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning or your own mix of celery salt, garlic powder and cayenne, to taste
    2 T finely diced celery
    1/2 pound lump crab meat
    1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
    Finely minced red onion, green peppers or sweet peppers (all optional and to taste)

Mix together, gently form 4 patties and chill at least 30 minutes
    Spray pan and crab cakes with olive oil and fry until golden brown

• luzingg
    Options
    Nice day with Mom, all caught up on our shows and enjoyed a nice lunch. Edd came and hung a towel bar for her and then took her car home to wash, wax and polish. He is such a caring, loving man for a gruff old biker dude. Jelly is all redone and I will wait a while until I finish the last of the peppers, may turn them into relish! TRX cancelled tonight, bummer.

Karla, what an odd judgement, but then the court system these days seems rather odd.

Mary Lynn, I think I would have totally panicked if I had seen the bear even knowing he was more interested in the salmon. Maybe you and Myron are too skinny to eat!

Patti
  • smack59
    Options
    Karla - yes, I've done it with ground turkey and it's just as good. Most of the time I get 96/4 hamburger if I can find it. If not, I get lean ground turkey. For my Simply Filling WW plan, either one works.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. My visit yesterday was amazing. My student did a wonderful job and is very organized. It will be difficult making suggestions to improve. Today is the day to set up items for the church rummage sales. I'm not into rummage/yard sales, but I want to help the lady who is my teammate for the Turkey Dinner. So as I say, "Suck it up, Buttercup!" :)

Patti: I'm sure it helps both you and your mom to have the Lifefone.

Karla: Good luck with your crown.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • cindyr619
    Options
    Hi Everyone-
    its a new day and a new opportunity to focus on our health.
    Patti- that crab cake recipe sounds delish- I hope you and Janet can see either other soon.
    Karla- a temp crown is a work in progress so glad the worst is behind you.
    MaryLynn- bears typically are vegetarians but watch for mom's and babies- they won't want to eat you just keep you away - and maybe don't want to share the salmon.
    Suzi- I too use extra lean beef- I've cut down the amount in chili to a half pound and up the bean content. I'm making some tonight for my friend you broke her hip, had surgery and husband is dealing with ALS- so sad.
    Next Thursday is the hypnotist- I'm really mentally preparing to be successfully in managing my stress eating and only eating when truly hungry and not by the clock. I am hopeful I can turn this around. Good news I've stopped gaining for for now I'll take that as a victory.
    Need to run but wanted to check in- have a good day everyone.
    Cindy
  • smack59
    Options
    Mornin' y'all! I'm sitting in the cath lab with Dave. He's having an angiogram this morning. Absolutely no symptoms, but cardiologist saw a minor irregularity of some kind during his treadmill stress test several weeks ago. Since Dave's heart issues are strictly hereditary, and he's never had any outward symptoms, the doc takes no chances with him. As Dave puts it, he's here for his "annual tune-up". We'll see if he gets more stents this time or not.

I had a bit of an "aha moment" last night. After hitting a scale number at home Saturday morning that represents true progress and doing a great job of tracking to get myself back there.....again, I gave in to the sugar monster this week. I am kicking myself for buying too much candy the other day when I had a very intense sugar craving I couldn't shake. What I should have done was buy ONE candy bar, but I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted so I bought 3 different kinds. To make matters worse, I bought multi-serving packages. WTH?? Have I lost my dang mind?!?! Now, to give myself credit, as I preached to Janet, I tracked it....all 66 points of it!! The leftovers are still at my office and I have every intention of tossing it in the trash when I'm there next - now I need to carry through with it. So, back to the aha moment. I recognized last night that this is a pattern for me. I get to that # on the scale and immediately start sabotaging myself. I'm determined not to let myself go down that road this time, but I want to figure out why I keep doing this. This is the second time it's happened this year alone, and his makes several times since my initial regain after maintaining near-goal weight for 3 years 5 years ago following my Daddy's death. I don't know whether it's somehow subconsciously connected to his death - it if is, it's really deeply buried because I've not been aware of thinking more about him or anything like that. Maybe it represents progress and this is the point I start thinking I've "got it made" and ease up - I think this is more likely, but it would also be easier to kick the pattern to the curb if this were it, wouldn't it? I don't know. I've got some thinking to do and would like to hear your ideas on how to stop this crazy cycle.

Suzi
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Suzi- I think we all do the same thing. We feel good about getting to a certain spot and then reward ourselves, and then up we go. You caught it, have recorded it, and can turn it around. I made your stew last night with ground round. I only used one pound of it and increased the Ranch Beans, just exactly as Bert said, without knowing that of her!! It had great taste and Glenn really exclaimed over the flavor. Thank you for it.

Cindy- I am excited to hear of your hypnosis, one of the few forms of weight loss plans I have not tried. Stress has been in so many of our lives and we must find ways to deal outwardly with it so it does not affect us inwardly. I have had some very rough times in my family that have cost me dearly lately too.

Patti- It warms my heart every time I read about your mother and your daughter. For so long your never had either in your life or in your town. You are so blessed to have them both.

Mary Lynn - You and Myron remind me of the comfort level that Glenn and I have reached. We adore being with each other no matter what we do.

Bert- It must have been ESP when I made the Stew last night because I did just as you mentioned, I cut down the lean Ground Round to one pound instead of two that was in the recipe and put two cans of the Ranch beans. One can of corn, not two. One can of black bean with low sodium. It was really good. Like a mexican chili really.

I better go. My oil change is done.

I get Izzy tonight for a day at home with her tomorrow. Always fun. We are going to get our nails done.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    Hey ya'll, it is going to be a beautiful day here. Top down weather to be sure. Lots to do to get ready for the weekend. We are leaving in the morning or early afternoon. Need to get the winter cover on the boat, set up my son's cabin for the weekend. Mostly need to figure out how to work this Apple TV and DVD player and set up the beds. Then haul all the stuff for my cabin to his that we will need for cooking and scrapping. I forwarded my hairdresser that I am coming with some pictures for her to help me choose a new hairstyle to work toward. She will be honest about what will work with my hair and face shape. Grocery and Costco on the list for before and after hair appointment.

Cindy, I think your attitude about the hypnosis is what will make it successful for you. Prayers for your friend. So much to deal with all at once. Wish I could take her some food. My daughter's friend was so appreciative of the soup, meatloaf and pot pie I sent to her. It matters and makes a difference in their day.

Suzi, I think you are on to something. Trying to find that trigger that causes us to stop our good and positive efforts, based on a scale number, is truly a difficult task. Changing that dialog from "this is where I usually stop and start regaining" to "this is where I need to redouble my efforts to push past this number" may be a start. I had a leader once say that we hit that spot and deep down seem to tell ourselves "I know this is the best I can do. I usually don't get past here. I actually feel pretty good at this number". Any or all of these deep seeded thoughts are enough to sabotage our best efforts. I like that you are working on your credit system.

Karla, enjoy your day with your sweet Izzy. I know she is the eternal sunshine in your life.

Janet, miss seeing you here yesterday. I know your heart is heavy for your friend. Sending hugs. After next week my days should free up. How does Monday the 17th or Wednesday the 19th look to you?

Time to move
    Patti