OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Lisa, so sorry you got frustrated in your workout. You seem like you are extremely active, so that has got to really mess up your day.

Bert, glad you are getting around some, and hope things clear up quickly! I have no advice to offer beyond what has already been offered.

Monica, I love my FitBit too, and also try to get 10,000 steps a day! It's hard because I can't wear mine in my office, so it looks like I don't move at all for 8 or 9 hours.

Patti and Karla, congrats on the losses! I'm hoping that I continue to lose 1 pound per week - I know I won't keep up the first week's rate!
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Janet- I'm glad you are getting over your bug. and thanks for the back-story... i knew you were healing, but not sure from what. congratulations on not only losing that much, but now keeping it off!

Diane- congrats on the first week's loss and the good workout today!

Lisa- sorry about your ill-timed email checking ;)

Mary Lynn- great hike!

Monica- welcome!
  • Meanica922
    Meanica922 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Icuconley..I have a jawbone up...it was discontinued so was inexpensive but works for my purposes....thanks everyone for the welcome :)
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls- late night check in- just recorded dinner and I went over by 300 calls- not sure how that happened except I opened my mouth and ate two cookies- with dinner. sigh.
    So nice to see new faces- I''ll be back tomorrow for personals
    Have a great evening and Patti I am putting a couple of vids on order. Thank you
  • BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies! Made it here :)
    Hope everyone is off to a fresh start this week. Welcome new group members. Happy to have you! I'm Vikki and I just joined as well. And I'm from Virginia. That should be easy to remember, Vikki from Virginia ;)

Wow! Cannot believe how many posts since I last checked in! I am going to try and check in when I can, but I may not be able to keep up with the pace of the conversation. I hope I can still be a part though, bc I think you ladies are so sweet. It's just that I have made a personal commitment over the past several years to avoid social media, such as FB etc, bc of the time factor. I thought I would try a MFP Challenge though for motivation and to meet some new friends that are committed to MFP. The few friends I have on here, seem to drop out and never stick with it. So please feel free to add me as a friend if you are committed to the journey.

Years ago after our son was born, I was a part of an online community of mommies. I even started a group myself. I know and appreciate the value of these online friendships. I met some amazing ladies and formed meaningful friendships with some of them and we still keep in touch to this day. We have never had the opportunity to meet, but we still hope to one day. So I think it's awesome.

TT: I am so pleased with my start to the new year. I met my goals last week of 4 days of cardio, 3 days of strength training and came in under my calorie goal 5 days. My weigh in days are on Fridays, bc I try to be the most disciplined Mon-Fri and splurge some on the weekends.

So far this week I ran Saturday outside 3 miles. I am a "fair weather runner" meaning that I only run in comfortable conditions :wink: For me that means the temp must be between 50-70 degrees outside. Saturday was 53, very warm for January here, so I decided "why not?" I usually only run in the spring and fall and only 1-2 days a week at best bc I get joint pain if I try to do more. My body likes the treadmill much better. It is below freezing here the past two days! This weather has been nuts. So warm a week ago, my flower bulbs were coming up and now freezing.

I did 30 minutes of cardio on my elliptical at home today due to time constraints, but am planning on going to the gym tomorrow. 2 days down, 2 to go!

Karla: Great loss girl! So happy for you. The scales haven't moved for me yet, but it's just a matter of consistent workouts and strict tracking. And I cannot imagine losing a child. That is terribly sad. I am glad she has you as a friend.

Patti: Great loss for you too!

Monica: Welcome and I am 44 too! Will turn 45 next month :) Congrats on your loss this week.

Janet: Glad to hear you are feeling better. I wondered what you were recovering from, thanks for sharing.

Myra: It's me, Vikki that has the 9 year old son, and it's okay! I can't keep up here lol!

EniadS: I'm so sorry, but couldn't find your real name in this thread of conversation, but wanted to say excellent loss! I will look back on the goal page for your real name.

I think everyone is just doing GREAT on the exercise front. Keep it up ladies! I think everyone here exercising is really motivating everyone.

Oh and I wanted to say that my hubs and I had a nice date night this weekend. To those of you who are grandmothers and keep the kids so your kids can have a date night, you are awesome. I am SO appreciative of my MIL keeping our son every once in a while for us so we can go out. "We" are the ones that need to do a better job at making it a point to go on dates more regularly!

Be blessed ladies, good night.

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hello and good evening friends. Welcome to all and extremely pleased everyone seems to have found us.

Janet - poohy on your for rooting against my team. Lol. I can't control the coaches but Saban has an excellent record. Sorry he broke some promise while at Michigan State. I heard something about his time there.

Bert- I hope you are feeling better each day.

Diane- congrats on your loss lady!! I was wondering if that little group was still meeting at your gym. There is nothing wrong with modifications to any move. You are there, and you are trying! That's what count.

Cindy- I just can't have cookies around anymore, they always find their way to my mouth too. Get them out, freeze them or something. Lol.

Blessed - you are so right about online friendships. It is amazing. Congrats on meeting your first week goal!!

Monica- one of my BFF's name is Monica, glad to have you.

Patti- I did the four fast miles DVD tonight. That ones goes by so very fast! I love my Garmin! I am at 9542 steps right now and will go over 10k before nighttime. I picked one up from a resale site for my pal Monica for $35!!!!

Con't

Bathroom break,,,
    Karla
    ( please put your first name at end of your posts to help us remember, not sure I like the list off on another board)

• akachase
    akachase Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I will work on learning more about you all a few at a time. What a wonderfully active group this is.

For exercise, I did a 3 mile walk away the pounds video and 30 minutes of RT. My Fitbit vibrated a few minutes ago which means 10K steps are done today. Food is all logged and under my calorie goal with no rubbish.

It's a start, something to build on. 25 pounds won't disappear overnight or without effort, but they will if I want it badly enough and do the work.

Hugs all around. Have a great night.

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi all - man, I am wiped out! Went to the gym for a lifting session and I gave it everything! Will respond to your posts in the am! Have a great night!

Lisa
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Roll Tide!!!! Alabama won the Championship game against Clemson. It was a tough game..

see ya tomorrow..
    K
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Karla- i must admit i only know of "roll tide" from a TV show ;) but... CONGRATS!

Vikki- 9 year old son, got it! :) and you are in VA, not far from NC! my strawberry plants were blooming before winter "came back" oh well.

Cindy- i just hate when cookies "attack" me :( last week, i had a bad day, and i didn't even bother baking them first. and my mental health paid dearly for it the next day. sigh.

Lisa- great job getting back to the gym and giving it everything! i remember doing that once, about 15 years ago, and the next morning i had a hard time holding my toothbrush, LOL

TT- i can only assume this means "truth time"? I really have no excuse for not doing some light upper body work. my husband has dumbbells in his mancave. i also confess to not logging my weight on MFP when i've gained (like over the holidays) I keep track of it elsewhere, but not here because, honestly, i've lost probably 300 pounds... it's just always the SAME five pounds! i don't feel right being "liked" every time i lose the same five pounds... i hope this makes sense. at any rate, i'm still a few pounds away from being comfortable tracking my weight on MFP.

it would seem folks here really like leslie sansone (sp?) dvd's. my PT has recommended "walk away the pounds" to me, but i've resisted because, frankly, walking just doesn't help my head. I walk with my former running buddy.... but, it's the "venting" we do during that hour that helps my head!!!!

keep up the great work, everyone! Hope Janet feels a bunch better today, and that Bert is making great progress on healing from her operation!

Myra
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! It's very cold here. My cleaning lady is coming this morning to do things I can't. I'm hoping to keep her to do those things that aren't good for the back after I'm cleared by the doctor. Have a great day.

Bert
  • lcuconley
    edited January 2016
    Options
    so, my cardio workout today is going to be shoveling. We got about 5-6 inches of snow last night with more coming today! Yoga at lunchtime will hopefully work out some of the soreness from yesterday's workout as well as all of the shovelling!

(why does shovelling have two "l's" and traveling only has one??)

bert - my cleaning lady came yesterday...only I don't have the excuse of a bad back! :-) I often say that, 20 years ago, my cleaning lady saved my marriage!

blessed - yay for date nights! We used to have them every week, but I stopped working about 6 months ago: no more nanny, no more date night. Tim and I have never lived close to family since we got married.

myra - this morning is so much better than I expected. stiff from my workout last night, but able to brush my teeth!! also, your story about the cookie dough: it is amazing how we continue to think that eating will make us "feel better", but it does the opposite! why can't we learn this!?!?

akachase - it sounds like you had a great day on all fronts!!

karla - congrats on bama's win! more importantly, congrats on your steps!

diane - I totally agree with Karla. Modifications are awesome. Keep it up!!!

lisa
  • lcuconley
    edited January 2016
    Options
    merged my two posts...
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Congrats, Karla (it was Toledo Saban lied to and left). Wild game. Snow is gently falling here so I zoomed out for Rx refills before the roads get bad (KY drivers can't handle flakes).

Cindy, cookies happen to the best of us. Carbs call to us -- the worse for us, the louder the voice.

Myra, thanks for the good thoughts. A bit better each day!

Bert, hope your recovery contiues apace.

Hoping I can start back with more veggies and some spicier foods -- going to cook butternut squash today because that should be mild enough for whatever gripped my system.
  • judyannsews
    judyannsews Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I finally found this group again...you guys jump around like jack rabbits!! I have decided to try to just come here on my desktop computer. My IPAD doesn't seem to like My Fitness Pal discussions...maybe this will be better.
    All the schools around here are closed today...we are getting our beautiful Lake Effect snow...love Lake Michigan. The wind is also howling, nice day to stay in.
    I lost another pound and a half...I am so thankful. I am not tracking...I am just tired of it. So I am following the Eat real food, mostly veggies and less of it plan...so far it is working good.
  • Meanica922
    Meanica922 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All
    I wish my weekly weigh in was today instead of yesterday....I had my cheat day on Sunday and my week loss wasn't very good at 2.8 because when I got on the scale this a.m. I was down an additional 3 lbs....thinking my indulgences bloated me up....it is snowing this a.m. and the hubs is crabby...since we work together it doesn't make for a very good day but I am very adept at tuning him out...I will get a kiss and a sorry I was crabby later :)....Congrats on the Alabama win...will check back later and see how everyone is doing...HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL :smiley:
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Snowy hello from Ohio,

Myra, TT means Today's Topic but often turns into Truth Time. Thanks for sharing your truths with us. We all have these truths in one way or another, it is learning to change our truths that is so difficult and takes so much time. Please do not apologize for you current truths. When you are ready to share you will.

Janet, I know you are reveling in this winter wonderland. I am dreading going to the gym but the roads should be in good shape by then. If not Edd will take me. Sounds like slow steady improvement on your crud issues.

Judy, glad you found your way to us and congrats on another loss. I prefer using my laptop for MFP, the ipad works but is not as easy to use. I stopped tracking for a couple of months and now am glad to be back to it. I feel much more in control and I really hate to track the bad stuff so try not to eat it in the first place. This plan does not always work

Lisa, you are inspiring me to get out my weights. There is a Women and Weights class at the gym but the trainer gets on my last nerve. She doesn't stay on task and gets distracted easily. I want to get in and get it done. Not confident enough to just go do free weights by myself. I had a personal training session that I won and my trainer set up a whole program for me, it is on paper at my cabin! I have been fooling myself that TRX is a weight training class but trully it is more about core, even though the exercises use ever muscle in my body. I love the class dynamics and feel like I push myself harder than when I am left to my own devices.

Bert, yeah on continued healing and housekeepers! I have never been able to justify the cost, so my house stays messy but clean.

Karla, enjoy your time with Tammy, even if the weather isn't cooperating her condo is so relaxing and your friendship so dear. You both will make the best of it.

Not much on tap today. Edd is going to go over to Mom's to clean off her car, after he does ours. Probably just do some laundry and clean the bathrooms. Oh what fun I have on a snow day.

Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-

Karla I love the idea of signing our post with our names-we have grown so much it's hard to keep track of everyone. and the cookies were frozen.......... nothing was going to deter me last night.
    Diane- great news on the RV and retirement- you and John must be so thrilled.
    Janet- glad you're feeling better today.
    Monica - welcome to our group- great loss
    Judy- I think we've settled on one spot now- it took me a minute to find the thread today too- did you book mark us?
    Lisa- you are the exercise bunny- I'm impressed with all the time you devote to your exercise plan- I forget- are you at goal?
    Myra- good that you are here too.
    Vicki- I agree social media can be overwhelming but to me this is about my health not strictly social.
    Well I stayed the same this week- and I'm ok with it since Thanksgiving I've been steadily gaining each week. I have honestly recorded my weight and I'm not thrilled but working hard to see the numbers slide in the other direction.
    I didn't exercise last night- stuff happening but I do intend to meet Leslie for a 30 minute walk.
    Patti- I'm going to order the vid's you mentioned - Leslie does such a good job with everyone one I've seen and the 30 minutes might just be the ticket.
    Went to an off site meeting this morning so I need to focus and get some things accomplished. I'll be back later.
    waving to anyone I missed.
    Cindy
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Judy & Patti -- MFP plays nicer for me on the iPad using the app rather than the website.

Bert -- Glad you have a cleaner coming. Last year I finally broke down and decided I need a professional cleaner biweekly -- just too much pain to clean seriously on my own. I cut a few corners on other things to make it happen and has been worth it in terms of peace of mind. Plus, my cleaner is a gem and has become a friend. Makes it easier for me to spend my time working on clutter-busting and weeding out.

We got another couple inches of snow but it's melting rapidly now -- was gorgeous coming down. But my driveway and street are clear.

Had a sweet potato with a teaspoon of sesame oil for lunch. Am a bit rumbly but determined to get back to the food that works best for me and will ride it out. Am starting to get papers together to do taxes -- talk about no fun! But I am having a fairly content day at home with way too much help from the cats. Will try a salad tonight with some fish or poultry. Bloodwork tomorrow for the endocrinologist appointment next week.

Back later!

Janet

• lcuconley
    Options
    hi all !

I just did 25 min of yoga...wow, I feel SO much better!! I wanted to go to the gym for a class, but had too much to do at home...Patti, I am doing laundry, dishes, etc along with you!

Cindy - I have really been committed to exercising since coming back from vacation. I really enjoy it and work hard to fit in all kinds of different things to keep myself engaged. I am NOT at goal...I have approx 40 pounds to lose. I know what works to get where i want to be: lifting, logging and doing various cardio activities. Every time I buckle down and do that, I lose. oh, and slow down the alcohol consumption.

Janet - I use my ipad for certain MFP things and the website for others. I wish the app were more comprehensive. I love sweet potatoes, but the rest of my family says "yuck!". I don't get it. we are getting more snow, but its not going to melt any time soon!

patti - I love lifting, but there is no doubt about, executed correctly, TRX is lifting! its using your bodyweight and is super effective, so keep it up!!

monica - wow! congrats on your weightloss success. I have my weigh in day on Friday because I find weekends so much harder! I could NEVER work with my husband...kudos to you! tuning out a grouch is wise!

judy - eat real food, mostly plants, eat less...effective strategy!