OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm back from buying bew tires and having lunch with my son. I enjoyed spending time with him alone. Just the two of us. Now I gave to recuperate from the tire expense!

Cindy: my daughter in law just finished her 21 days. I'm interested in the diet part and eating more clean. The exercise part will have to wait as I'm limited on what I can do. She said she didn't feel hungry and has more energy. She also did the 30 min workouts each day.

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Van is fixed, so happy to have wheels again. Will go to Mom's tomorrow, we have lots to catch up on and a few chores to do. This is the part of winter I really lislike the most. The snow is melting and everything is covered with dirt and salt. The back window if the van was so covered in grime that I couldn't see out of it. The back wiper doesn't work and washer fluid reservoir has a leak. But it runs great so I will not complain.

Myra, praying that you get some relief from your pain. Thank you for still taking care of us despite your discomfort.

Cindy, I was wondering why you did not enter your books. Hopefully it will happen next time. Your love story on your blog was so beautiful. I can see you more and more in your books with every blog post.

Karla, what fun to watch the grandkids start to spell and read. My Izzy will start first grade in the fall. She is already reading and writing. Has been begging to go to school since she was 4. I miss her but the parents really make it difficult to spend time with them. They just can't seem to get it together!

Jeanette, so nice to hear that the family birthday gathering went so well. Your love for them all shines thru your posts.

Bert, that one on one time is so special. Glad you had it with your son. Sticker shock calls for a nap.

Janet, hope all went well at the Dr and you don't have to go back for a while.

I have been eating well, getting my water and working on extra steps.
    Patti
  • luzingg
    Options
    Bert, the folks I know that have done the 21 day fix loved it. Sort of like Simply filling. The containers are color coded for each type of food. You are supposed to eat so many containers full of each color each day. No weighing, if it fits in the cup you can eat it. It comes with a food suggestion list and lots of recipes. I think part of the diet plan includes Shakeology shakes but could be wrong on this one. I know my GF and her daughter have done this and they seemed to have lots of shakes.
    Patti
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Karla – whatever you did to get your mind back in the zone, I wish it were catching! You are on fire! I did find myself circling the house last night because I was so close to my 10K steps goal, and thinking of you the whole time LOL.

Patti – glad the van is fixed and you are mobile! I hate feeling trapped. I’m tired of winter too – I really just want spring to come. I know where you are at – I’ve been through some time in the last year when I just felt like throwing in the towel (and did, far too much!) I’m still working at tracking consistently again. Maybe if you can get to the gym again this week it will help.

Janet I hope you are having a nice, quiet rejuvenating day.

Cindy I saw your goal. I love green tea! But I drink the Lipton Diet citrus kind – are you drinking the brew yourself green tea? Probably healthier, but I love mine. I figure at least it isn’t soda!

Suzi – Welcome safely home! Hope you are doing well.
    Bert, I think my DIL has done the 21 day thing – she offered me the containers one time, but I just wasn’t prepared for that. Maybe it would be easier than tracking – I don’t know.

Myra, sounds like you are more than just down in the doldrums. Have you spoken to your physician lately? Please, get some help if you don’t perk up soon.

Vikki how much snow did you get? We got about 3 inches, and it is now turning to sleet and freezing rain. Oh joy.

MaryLynn what a nap! I actually hate it when I sleep that long during the day. I’m sure your body needed it, but I wake up totally groggy for the rest of the day.

Jeanette sounds like the birthday was a fun time. As I’ve gotten older I really don’t want things – I just want to spend time with people.

Beth, you must be under so much stress. Hope you can find a way to escape it soon – for your mental and physical health.
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    We had snow here today, about 3", and now we are supposed to get ice before it turns to rain around midnight. Son and DIL were going to come over for dinner, but they are staying home because of the weather. I have a turkey breast and stuffing in the oven, and broccoli to steam. I wouldn't have done the stuffing if I'd known they weren't going to be able to make it, but I had thawed the turkey so had to cook it. Guess we'll be eating turkey for a few days!

I just hope the weather DOES change to rain so the commute tomorrow is okay! Tomorrow is the baby shower at work. Everything is done and turned out very cute. I will get pictures once we have it all set up.

Drum roll please - I DID lose this week! I am down 3 lbs from last week's WI, so that is the 1.5 I had regained plus another 1.5. I am very happy with that. I also took my measurements. I found the piece of paper I had written them on before and it has been 7 months! I've lost 2 inches at the waist and belly and an inch at the thigh, but nothing at the hips and virtually nothing at the bust. So I still have a long way to go. I'd really like to get the bust going down - anyone have good exercises for that? My shoulders can't take the sprawls and push-ups and mountain climbers that would really help both the core and the back.

• luzingg
    Options
    Diane, congrats on your loss this week. I will get my mojo back, just in a funky place right now. I think learning my BFF has breast cancer really threw me for a loop. Sort of like "why bother when something like this can happen" I know it is wrong thinking but seems to be where my mind went. Gotta shake it off because I know it won't help her or me. Unfortunately there are no particular exercises to spot reduce any particular area. Our bodies each store fat in different places and will release it at it's own whim it seems.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hi, all - No time for personals tonight. Have been LIVING for the chance to see the full opening number from "Hamilton" on the Grammies tonight (don't normally watch the show, but Adele will perform too -- I will change channels when certain people come on).

Doc is pleased -- I see her again in two weeks. First round of revisions likely late March. Leg touchup after they heal a bit more and there will be just a bit of tweaking of my new nose too (she keeps saying "EASY!"). She is a perfectionist and I am happy to be her canvas.

Have been doing stuff most of the day, now tired but ready to chill.

Jeanette, I am not tiny! Am a size 10-12 (was a 26-28) but I have a totally horrid metabolism -- part genetics and part the fact that my body chemistry got monkeyed with during puberty with prescription amphetamines because Mom was embarrassed to have a fat daughter. Am told that affected my changing body's chemistry for good. Oh well. So I have to be below 1,200 to have a chance of losing. Normal calculations overestimate what I can eat, so I do my best. Have snacked my way through the last two days -- still no candy, pretzels or pizza but did have some cookies today. And peanut butter crackers. Sigh. Tomorrow, back ON, even with lunch out.

Have a good night. Oh, geez -- Grammies opened by someone I do not like. At all. EVER, under any circumstances. Great. Later!
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Diane- Yeaaaa. You go lady. I sure chuckled when I read about you thinking about me when you were doing the house walking!! Hey, it works!! LOL. Congrats on that great loss! Plus the inches!!! That is so wonderful. It takes time, but consistency does pay off.

Patti- So glad to hear of your positive day, plus repair of your van. I know you will have pleasure being with your Mom tomorrow. Maybe talk with her about your struggles on staying on program?

Suzi- Have you gotten back in your groove up there?

Jeanette- We had some horrendous storms today. The weather warnings kept beeping on the tv and Izzy and I would cuddle up. Very windy and pouring. They finally passed over. We had a fun day, we made purple cupcakes, practiced writing her name and I read her stories. It is all so fun at her age.

Tonight starts the season back of Major Crimes, one of my favorite shows. I am finishing up the kitchen, putting clothes away and checking in with you kind ladies.

Janet- I am worried about you too.

I am seeing my Internist in the morning and going over with her the nature of my fall. I just want to document these things for the future. Especially if this eye situation does not improve. The driving issue is very hazardous at times and I need to discuss with her the Trokendri XR I am taking.

In the morn folks!!

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    oh, and I'm watching the Grammy's...are you??
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Diane, we knew you'd see a big loss this week. Yay!!!!!

Karla, I'm fine. Trying to carve out more time for min-computer tasks. Need to whack away at home stuff and that's best dine when I can block the world out and focus. Have three small boxes in back if car from today's work. Had 6:7 days last week very much on plan. I'll take that.

Watched Grammies (but changed channels a few times to avoid things like Bieber). Will replay "Hamilton" performance several times tomorrow.

• cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-
    Yes I watched the Grammys'- confession 26 years ago I was there in person, Bob Dylan performed that night. It was amazing I stood next to Jon Bon Jovi- but that was the old life..... had some fun times tho'
    Diane- congrats on the loss. I need to be brave like you and take the measurements. I'm still not willing to step on the scale. I have a business trip next week so I have promised my self that in 13 days I will take them. So much going on.... I do brew my tea. I don't drink artificial sweeteners now. But I do love the Lipton green tea too.
    Karla- good idea talking with the doctor about the fall.
    Janet- you made me chuckle when you talked about Beiber- I watched just to see if he had improved- NOPE
    Bert- I am working on clean eating right now. It is becoming easier and trying to eat organic for the dirty dozen- not always easy at this time of year but working on it.
    Jeannette- did you get the lights down? What is hubby studying?
    Myra- how is your hip- don't wait to see a doctor. Let me know if you need something.
    Need to run for now- people are walking in and out of the office.
    Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Cindy
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning peeps and welcome to my weigh in day!! A glorious one it is!! I am down another 1.8 pounds. Putting me back in ONEDERLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and quite a step down into it too. So very happy and surprised, I thought it would be a stay or small loss as I felt I had been eating a little more this week.

Cindy- ooh la la- you are a celebrity eh? I just knew it!! Such a sweetie you are and you are coming around dear..it takes time to get it all rocking and become a habit we don't have to work so hard on.

I have to get going as I have a 9a doctor appointment and then on to the podiatrist office,

later, as I am floating here!!

Oh, we had some bad damage not far from me..

Karla
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm heading to the gym this morning and also will mail our gift to our great nephew. I thoroughly enjoyed my one on one time with my son. We had great conversations.

Patti: I'm willing to give 21 Day fix a try. I ordered the cook book and containers. I'm not interested in the shake part. I did shakes with Weight Watchers and was hungry an hour after I drank it. I know their shakes are different, but that's just something else to buy.

Diane: Congrats on your loss! Woo Hoo!

Does anyone know how to prepare jicama? What does it taste like? Look like in the store?

I turned on the Grammy's after I watched the season premier of "Major Crimes".....I love that show. Also, we had a ladies church meeting last night, so I didn't get home until after 9. I did like Lady Gaga's tribute to David Bowie. Have a great day everyone.

Bert

• luzingg
    Options
    Hello,

Karla, congrats on another good loss and welcome back to Onederland. You have certainly been on fire and earned it. Good job

Bert, I have had jicama but never prepared it. It resembles a turnip and the taste is described as a cross between a water chestnut and a pear. It can be eaten raw or in can be sautéed with other veggies. It does not turn brown or lose its crispness. Tell us if you try it what you think.

Janet, I have never been a fan of any of the award shows, so did not catch any of the Grammies. I do love music but not in that format. When I was in my late twenties my GFs and I would get together for "Hen Parties". We would eat, drink and trash the everyone on the award shows. It was all very tongue-in-cheek and we really had a lot of fun. Haven't thought about that in years.

Cindy, what a fun time that must have been to be live at that show and right next to Bon Jovi! Seems we all have so much history we have not yet shared. Can't wait for the day when we get our OMG retreat. We will need to be in a sound proof room or far from any other people, as the chatter will reach epic levels for sure.

Gotta run and pick up Mom's prescriptions and mail. Then a glorious day of just hanging with her. I so cherish every moment I have with her. I am up to about 20 guests for her surprise party. It is going to be all finger foods.....no dips/chips, no silverware. I am making 2 types of sangria. The caramel apple I had at the holidays and either a peach or raspberry one. Then lots of flowers, balloons and smiling faces!

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Patti- your day sounds wonderful and her party is really coming together. I'm sure she adores you and this will be so very special for her.

I hope I can get thru the 190's as quickly as I have the 200's. It's all about not sitting on my butt evidently. I get up during commercials and round the house. lol. Thursday I meet Jodi at the park to walk and Saturday we head to Destin and two of my girlfriends with garmins and their husbands are meeting us there. I hope we get some beach walking in.

At the doctor, so I better go.

Diane- don't forget the pics!!

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    b8kku3tyssyw.jpeg
    Izzy and he Paw Patrol outfit.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Up very early today - darned night sweats - so got dressed for the day to warm up and dry out! On the positive side, I hope to catch up on some personals with you all before the day really begins here.

It poured here yesterday, so stayed in and created a low impact aerobics routine to 70's music for 90 mins. Kept the arms really involved, so when it came to weight lifting after the cardio, it was an additional challenge to already warmed upper body muscles! It was kinda fun, but still prefer being outside.

Cindy: Congrats on finishing that 5th book review. Phew! That's quite a number to get through and comment on. When I have read romance, I'm not a fan of all that HEAT. It just seems to take the place of more interesting dialogue and complex character developments. Sounds like your newest one is giving you and your beta reader great pleasure. What a blessing to have such a gift! You're doing so well on your personal program of activities and nutrition, which is leading to some fantastic, long-term positive results for your whole being!

Bert: Glad you stayed safe when that weather posed a hazard to traveling to meet family. Still, it is so nice to reconnect with loved ones and I'm sorry you were not able to this time. Getting a full set of new tires has become such a large financial trauma for all vehicle owners! So pleased that you were able to enjoy some quality one-on-one time with your son at lunch. Myron and I each have one son from previous marriage. Both sons are happily married to fine ladies and now live too far away to see them regularly. I do miss the lunches we used to have! Your new photo is truly lovely... you both just GLOW!

Karla: Hoping that your son is recovering from that painful kidney stone. I'm sure he was grateful that you were able to be there for him and provide care for Izzy during that episode. Your new addition of that 20 minute upper-body regime sounds fantastic. I agree that combination along with the walking commitment sounds perfect for you. Any mix of activities that we can sustain consistently is really what we need; sometimes just changing things a little can make all the difference. So important to add lean muscle mass to replace the fat lost too.

Patti: Pleased for the return of wheels for you!! It is understandable that being mobile to get to your Mom's and the gym is important to your overall wellness. This has been such a challenging number of days since the harsh news of your friends diagnosis. Life is precious. You may even be grieving the "loss" of the uncomplicated closeness of that friendship. It can be hard to adjust, I know as I walked through this with a close friend many years ago. However, it can also bring you closer in unexpected ways. My heart aches for you my friend and I wish I could hug you in person and just let the tears flow, they are our "release valve". The winter weather you've been facing can also be such a drag on the energy levels. Big Hugs to you my friend. Hoping that this week moves forward positively for you. Be gentle with yourself please.

Diane: Wow, what a winter for you there! So many get together plans have to get changed but at least you have some wonderful turkey to enjoy! Hope that the weather cooperates soon for you and that it improves greatly before the shower, which sounds like a lot of fun! Will look forward to seeing pictures if you aren't too busy to do so. Congratulations on the results of your dedicated tracking, with new measurements and lower scale numbers. Happy dance!! Wouldn't it be great to find something that would "spot reduce"?! Alas, I don't think it exists. What DOES work is staying active with aerobic activities burns that fat we are carrying around. Anything that gets you perspiring or breathing heavier, whether walking, stairs, swimming, weight training, whatever we will consistently enjoy doing. Adding your commitment to those healthy habits at the table is already paying dividends. Don't forget to celebrate NSV's too!

Janet: Good to hear that the doc is pleased with your progress and that you are healing nicely. You have known your body so well and have learned to listen to it's messages too. As you continue to make healthy choices, it may change and that makes it tough to find the right mix of foods and activities that work well for your lifestyle. Enjoying all the colors and textures of a new wardrobe can be a delight. You've undergone remarkable changes in the recent past and face new ones ahead. Such an exciting time can also be exhausting emotionally and physically. Finding a new rhythm we enjoy and moving to that music is a journey we share.

Jeanette: Glad to hear how well hubby's birthday celebrations turned out for you all! Shared times with friends and loved ones is something to be treasured. I'm a bit like Alanna on the olives... I could snack through a hole can of black olives...can't stick to just a few, so I just don't keep them in the house, though I do use olive oil! In regard to our wardrobes, I hear ya. Just getting leaner inch by inch we CAN and WILL move back towards some of those favorites. Sundays are my greatest challenge, as I live in my workout gear for much of the rest of the week. Finding something dressier that looks and feels good is at least slowly improving as a recomposed "me" emerges, with more toned form and better posture as a bonus. We are a unique and special creation and are perfectly loved. I'm so grateful for your friendship here!

Hugs to those I've missed.

MaryLynn
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I have been having some good days this week; feeling normal! I got a lot done yesterday including taking down the Christmas lights and while I had the ladder
    out I went ahead and cleaned the gutters a bit. It was actually a good gentle workout for me.

Today I get to hang with Alanna for a few hours. I knew she was coming over around 1:00 as Avery (Alanna's sister) has to have a paternity test against Alanna's dad,
    but he called and asked if I could watch her from this morning until after the test. I don't mind so much; love my time with my little angel.

I'll have to forgo personals today since she will be here soon, have a wonderful day
    Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Saw this quote and thought I'd share -- great for perspective on our shared path: "You don't need to be a saint; you need to be a smart sinner." (Dr. Lawrence Cheskin, director of the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center)

Good morning and HOORAY, KARLA! You have the mojo in a big way. Wow -- your Valentine's Day celebration looks almost as big as Christmas. Izzy is such a mini-you in looks and spirit.

Patti, your mom's party sounds lovely -- finger foods are a great idea too.

Cindy, you have boundless energy. Do you loan any of it out? Of all the classic rock stars, Bon Jovi has probably aged the best -- still a very ttractive guy. It would be cool to see Dylan live. Am a fan of his work though not so much of his singing. Still, I'd love to attend one of the big award shows someday, in a designer gown and serious jewelry, of course!

Bert, I am a jicama fan -- it is crunchy like a water chestnut but has a bit of sweetness to it. Very refreshing in a salad or stir-fry. I usually just peel and julienne it and store what's left in water with a bit of lemon juice.

MaryLynn, you are so right about the exhaustion. That's right where I am. New phase is about to start, though, and I'm excited, and I'm an introvert who often has too many demands, which is why I'm feeling the need for a recharge soon but trying to channel nervous energy into productive action. Thinking I'll put the "Hamilton" cast album on while I work around here today.

Weeding out clothes is one thing -- figuring out a new style is another. I plan to go to a big department store (maybe Nordstrom in Chicago, with gift cards I've saved up) and use their no-cost personal stylist to play paper dolls with me. Turns out I have no waist, which was a huge surprise. And my torso is a bit oddly-shaped because of scoliosis (which was never diagnosed until a few years ago). Stuff and proportions that used to be go-tos aren't so great so I want a professional to help me figure it out.
  • bertevans
    Options
    Janet: I love Nordstrom especially in Chicago. I've been to the one downtown and also a old orchard mall which is close to our son's house. I love to shop in Chicago. Indy also has a nice Nordstrom.

I tried the jicama and honestly haven't decided whether or not I like it. I made grilled cod, breaded eggplant, and stir fry veggies.

Bert