The Carnivore Credo

Options
12346»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KetoKaHee wrote: »
    I read on a zero carb blog that you shouldn't intermittent fast while doing it. I love fasting and only eat 1 meal a day and hoped to do zero carb. I just don't want to over stress my system. Anyone experience success eating zero carb and fasting??

I've always done IF, usually 16/8.. sometimes 18/6 on keto, but eating zero carb reduced my hunger even further so now I do 18/6 or 20/4 much more often.
    I just eat when I'm hungry. It doesn't make sense to me to eat just for the sake of eating when I have plenty of body fat I still want to lose.
    I've never heard that theory of IF not being good for carnivore before.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That video is truly misleading on many fronts. The fact that humans are capable omnivores isn't really up to debate. It's a byproduct of our evolution. But, we're much closer to being carnivores than being herbivores. There's several incorrect "facts" as well, for example the part about vitamin C. We don't need plants for it, mostly because we don't need it when eating fresh meat.

The stomach acid thing is especially fun. We average around 1.5 while herbivores are around 4.1 to 6.1. That seems pretty close except that it's a logarithmic scale. Our stomachs are 400 to 40,000 times more acidic than an herbivores! We're also not the top, insectivores like bats often have pH values closer to herbivores. Do you know the pH of a cat's stomach? It's 3.6! No one would argue that a cat is an herbivore.

Reference: [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4519257/] The tables are especially enlightening. You'll see that stomach acid alone isn't a very good indicator. And, you'll see that humans fall well within the range of accepted carnivores. The number given for humans from that table is 1.5. So, super in the range for carnivores. Although the argument is more that it protects us from disease. This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective as we probably scavenged flesh in our earliest development.

It goes in similar directions when you actually investigate the science behind the other claims. Depending on the animals picked, you can end up with vastly different conclusions. Here's one with humans, a carnivore, and an herbivore. It comes to the opposite conclusion of the video.

carnivore-herbivore-omnnivore-comparison.jpg

Edit: Most of her arguments are just "I don't understand how human evolution, brain development, and tool use determined our diet--therefore we must not eat meat."
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh, my favorite part of the video is where she points out that atherosclerosis only develops in plant eaters and not in carnivores. . . as an argument for why we should eat plants! Because, guys, we develop that disease that animals eating plants develop when we eat plants! That means we are supposed to eat plants!!!

Also, call out to the cholesterol myth. That is, she makes the implication that dietary cholesterol raises blood cholesterol and causes heart disease. Which, we know isn't scientifically supported.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well, I liked the video and I thought she was kind of cute. I don't play a scientist on the Internet, so I'll just leave it at that.
  • JanineAytekin
    JanineAytekin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    IF is freaking AHMAZING!!! I am in full menopause, I feel wonderful on OMAD. Been on Carnivore since February 22 and have dropped 33 lbs so far. Never ever hungry. I grazed through the day for about a week and stalled my consistent weight loss for about 10 days. So I went back to OMAD eating ruminate meat, eggs, butter and salt only and I am back to consistently losing and I feel really excellent.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    There's strong reason to suspect that IF only matters when eating a species-inappropriate diet. I see no point to it when eating carnivore. Losing an average of 4.2 pounds a week (more really since you claim to have stalled for 10 days so more like over 5 pounds a week) isn't sustainable. You can force yourself thin, but you can't force yourself into health.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I’m glad you’re feeling so great on carnivore @JanineAytekin

I agree with @FIT_Goat that the fasting isn’t absolutely necessary on carnivore though, I lost a lot of weight on carnivore while still eating three meals a day. I’m still eating three meals a day and maintaining a normal weight, the lowest weight I’ve ever been as an adult.

Having said that, some people do seem to feel great doing one meal a day on carnivore. So there’s something in it that’s doing something for them.

A lot of people do lose weight quickly at first on carnivore and then get frustrated when it slows down. For me, not losing weight for 10 days isn’t a stall, that’s just a natural pause in weight loss.