30 Days of Only Ground Beef

Options

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @glossbones , since I am running this on trial bases, I will not even try tracking anything but how I feel. My parents are coming to town for a week and I work this weekend (hurrah for 14-day work weeks), so I don't want to over-limit myself. If the next 5 days goes well, I will be jumping right back into it once family leaves town, and probably re-configuring my normal diet closer to ZC.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    @glossbones , since I am running this on trial bases, I will not even try tracking anything but how I feel. My parents are coming to town for a week and I work this weekend (hurrah for 14-day work weeks), so I don't want to over-limit myself. If the next 5 days goes well, I will be jumping right back into it once family leaves town, and probably re-configuring my normal diet closer to ZC.

Most people seem to be catering to their own lifestyle allowances. I just wanted to share that spreadsheet because Jodi wasn't the first person to ask how to get that chart of weight vs. trend weight.
  • Lillith32
    Options
    @glossbones , thanks! I appreciate it. This challenge should be fun!
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    nice one @FIT_Goat - my husband is a fire fighter, he thinks it's the best job in the world! take all the time you need for your training, we all know you're still lurking there in the back ground if any of us needs anything :)
  • glossbones
    Options
    Eating out for lunch again today. Told my friend I only need to eat somewhere that serves burgers, and she picked Chili's. Their burgers look to be quarter pounders. Hope if I want three of them they won't charge me for three separate burgers (their double burgers look to be half-height patties). I'm sure I can rely on my friend to eat any sides they give me.

I have been taking magnesium chelate glycinate over the past three days, along with Midol. The Mag for my sciatic pain and severe calf muscle tightness. The Midol for lower back pain, and shark week bonus prizes.

The weight I gained over the weekend is all gone again. I'm feeling a loss of focus lately. Not sure if it's related, but I will be watching carefully when I do add eggs in on April 11 to see if that changes anything.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/beef/show
    ^ Calculator for nutritional content of both cooked and raw ground beef allowing for different percentages of fat.

I found this while looking for something else. You guys prolly already know about it, but I figured I would pass it on just in case.
  • glossbones
    Options
    Chili's burgers probably would have been fine if I hadn't had Bareburger last week. In comparison they were dry and ... canola-tasting. I only ate two of the three 1/4 pound patties I ordered, send the third home in my friend's doggie bag.

Now I have heartburn. Was the it the added ingredients? Their (not very tasty, either) coffee? No idea. But blech. I was bound to run into a problem with eating burgers out somewhere.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yea, burgers out just aren't as good as what we make at home! Sorry you're feeling it!

Day #10 for me on ground beef! Scale bounced up two pounds this morning. I've never had a drop without a bounce, so it doesn't bother me. It's a work day for me, so I had a 5 oz. patty when I got home, and this evening will have 8.

I'm really surprised that I'm not missing cheese! I believe this is the longest I have ever been without it! This experiment is interesting! Look forward to continued positive results!
  • Lillith32
    Options
    Day 3 of all meat. I love it. I don't miss veggies at all. However, I have sugar cravings from hell because shark week, so today I learned they are easily killed by buttery steak. If this continues as good as its been these last few days, I may be switching to ZC for good.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Day 5 and I feel great. Beef mince still heavily featured. Work canteen yesterday: 1 chicken breast, 2 eggs were the meativore options without sugar or flour added. White plate n white contents. Boss possibly thinks I am nuts. Credit to him, his face said WTF but he did not vocalise it. Weight still dropping.
  • glossbones
    Options
    Here's my Week 3 recap. I am looking forward to the experimentation to see what I can and can't add back, but in general I'm super content with eating this way, and I will miss the simplified grocery bill!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/glossbones/view/week-3-of-ground-beef-challenge-830107
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It does make food shopping and meal planning a really quick process. Your weight has been dropping nearly as rapidly as mine.

Like you, I am not as sick of burgers as you would expect. I am excited to have more variety, but I still love some burgers and know they'll be a normal component of my diet. Before this challenge, I almost almost had 1-5 pounds of ground beef thawed in the fridge in case I felt like burgers. I can't imagine that being any different after the challenge.

I did my body measurements today. My body-fat percentage dropped again, but only 0.2% this week. Still down about 1.4% for the length of the challenge so far. The Covert-Bailey estimated percentage has been below 20% two weeks in a row and is getting near 19%. In my ideal world, it would be near 14% but I'm patient. The military method is near 21%, although that method is one that I trust less. It's highly dependent on my neck measurements and I have a hard time getting consistent measurements for my neck. I would ask my wife to help, but having a rope wrapped around my neck might be too tempting for her. :wink:

This morning is rough. I am making bacon for my wife. She wanted bacon and asked me to cook it for her. It is hard to cook bacon and know you're not getting any of it.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >This morning is rough. I am making bacon for my wife. She wanted bacon and asked me to cook it for her. It is hard to cook bacon and know you're not getting any of it.

Cooking it in the oven helps with that, and IMO makes for better bacon anyway.
  • glossbones
    Options
    I'm amazed by how I haven't had trouble being around the food I love. My husband even ate some of my favorite carbage out last night and I was totally content to sip my French press decaf coffee while he and our friend ate pizza, tiramisu, and locally made ice cream.
  • glossbones
    Options
    76j4kdjiwnay.jpeg

My meals for the next four days.
  • glossbones
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    . It's highly dependent on my neck measurements and I have a hard time getting consistent measurements for my neck. I would ask my wife to help, but having a rope wrapped around my neck might be too tempting for her. :wink:

As a hobby seamstress, I was taught to find the waistline (not the belly), you wrap the string around the middle, then bend a little side to side so it can settle into place, then measure that point. I've been trying to use that for the neck, too.

There are affordable myotape measurers on Amazon.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »

What size are dem patties?

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm on day #14!! I've lost a total of 5 pounds, so far! I went through a couple of very unhungry days, but the appetite has returned now. I'm managing to consume right at a pound of ground beef a day, now that I actually feel like eating.

I've come to a sad realization though! My relationship with cheese will have to change! It's really my only change, and to have the drop on the scale I have seen the past week can't be ignored! I'm not happy about it either! My testing will be in the cheese department once I return to eating foods besides ground beef! This is the longest I have ever gone without cheese, in my life I would believe!

Any tips on the best way to test cheese for sensitivity is appreciated!
  • glossbones
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    glossbones wrote: »

What size are dem patties?

11 1/8 ounces!
  • glossbones
    Options
    One week left! My husband's birthday is this weekend, and he's going for total carbage. Pizza and cake for a gathering of friends, Burger King's Angriest Whopper on the actual day. He's going to feel so awful! :D That's on him, adults are allowed to make decisions for themselves and that's nothing to do with me.

I was extra hungry yesterday but my patties were all rationed out so I didn't respond to the hunger. So I'm quite hungry right at the moment and am considering eating my lunch ultra early. Maybe around 10am or something. I think coffee increases my appetite, and I've had extra today.

My weight is continuing to drop, despite CICO demanding the opposite of me. Although, now that I've turned the bpm monitor back on for my Fitbit, some of my CO measurements are spiked and I'm wondering how accurate that is. It's not every day, but it's not my most active days. For example, on Friday I'd tell you I was just sitting in the car all day, but I had almost 2000 calories out versus my usual ~1700. Wondering how that's calculated.

If my calves weren't so big I'd be in a size 6 pant, but I wear skinny pants and so I've got a baggy waist gap but my size 8 pants are still being held up by my big legs. On Friday I had my annual exam and, knowing I'd be getting on the scale, I wore only capri leggings and a lightweight tee. My husband told me several times I am allowed to wear such things in public, now. So now I'm in danger of spending all my treadmill money on goldstitchesfashion.com. :D

All last week I was so busy I didn't get to do my usual weight training, so I'll be returning to that today. My neck and back are killing me from lax muscles and bad posture.

At the grocery store I had such a short list that I grabbed more 80/20 for myself. Portioned that into 8.5 oz pieces and froze them. I was thinking that would be ready for my add-in of coconut oil next week (changed my mind from eggs, just want an answer on coconut oil straight-up with no variables), but I will actually need to start eating them on Wednesday, then I'll have to eat three of them daily to hit my calories in. In that case I'll need more meat on Sunday. Silly me.

Don't mind me, I'm rambling because I'm hungry and talking about meat is almost as fun as eating it. ;)