30 Days of Only Ground Beef

Options

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    goldstitchesfashion.com

had to visit that site ofc --- fun leggings!
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    That's a great site. The Blood Mermaid leggings are killing me
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You guys are turning me weird. ;) All this talk has had me craving ground beef for a while. I had a lot of other meat on hand (on sale) so I hadn't bought ground beef in a while. It was on sale this weekend so I just cooked a 4-lb package of it. I tried cooking it in the oven for the first time (nice and easy!) in a 9x13 pan ... and I totally ended up scooping out some of the juice and drinking it straight afterward. Never would have dreamed before this WOE that that would ever sound good to me but it was delicious.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Lol I want to see a photo of you wearing those!! They're awesome :wink:
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Lol I want to see a photo of you wearing those!! They're awesome :wink:

Sure, soon as I find $70 in the laundry. :D

@macchiatto Awesome to hear! You just baked a tray wall-to-wall with ground beef? To what done-ness? I'm interested in a new way to make it!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @glossbones I followed these instructions: http://simplyfrugallifestyle.blogspot.com/2012/05/time-is-money-cooking-ground-beef-fast.html

It did take longer to cook than mentioned in the blog; I think closer to an hour by the time it was done? (Medium-well I would say.) Then after scooping out a portion for my lunch, I put the rest in the Kitchen Aid mixer to quickly break it up (rather than using a slotted spoon or potato masher as the blogger recommends). Now it's in the fridge ready for quick and easy re-heating!
  • glossbones
    Options
    Hmm. I'll save that for tacos when I've added spices back, but I'll stick to my near-raw meat for now!
  • glossbones
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Holy hell, guys. How am I already on day 25? I'm feeling a little sad that it'll be over soon. It's like Stockholm Syndrome. Delicious, delicious Stockholm Syndrome.

I decided, today, for a matter of convenience, to eat both my meals at work. I ended up driving home at lunch yesterday because I forgot a couple things, and hung out long enough to eat my burger from the home fridge instead of the work stash that was - for some unknown reason - in the work fridge. So I ended up short one patty at home and plus one patty at work. Add to that, I was extra hungry this morning (after ignoring what I thought was anxiety hunger last night but now I think must have been actual hunger), so I just ate my first big fat patty. I decided to mix it up, and make a cup of beef bouillon and pour that over it. Expected it to taste better, I guess. It didn't taste bad, but it tasted like... the beef version of chicken soup. And, since I also heated up my meat in the microwave first, the hot bouillon ended up overcooking the outside of my meat-soup-patty. I probably would have done just fine pouring hot bouillon broth over cold patty. Might do that with my afternoon big fat patty. If it doesn't work out, the bouillon-over-beef concept is dead to me, and I'll return to the coffee-over-beef caramel deliciousness.

Mmm... Stockholm Syndrome... (Holstein Syndrome?)

Did you know there's a variety of cattle called "Beefmaster?" That seems kinda effed up. I mean.. sure, it's not going to know you named it after its own dead carcass that others look forward to draining and consuming... but... I'd rather be a Holstein or a Dwarf Lulu. Or a Florida Cracker. Just sayin'.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @glossbones, lol!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You know, after today, I only have two more days of doing this. It went pretty fast. I am super-bored with it today. My wife made burgers for dinner, and I can't bring myself to eat right now. I just don't feel like it. I barely finished my pound at lunch.
  • glossbones
    edited April 2016
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    You know, after today, I only have two more days of doing this. It went pretty fast. I am super-bored with it today. My wife made burgers for dinner, and I can't bring myself to eat right now. I just don't feel like it. I barely finished my pound at lunch.
    Think it's the anticipation of being nearly done?

I'm having an extra hungry day. Had 8.5 oz more than normal, feel like I could eat another.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've read a lot of posts in this discussion but could you guys clarify something for me?

Do you still count calories in this all beef "diet"?

Last week I got 1.1 lbs of bone in ribeye steaks, grilled them, ate them easily and then looked up the calories. If my googling was correct they were over 1600 Calories. I love beef but with that kind of calorie value I don't know how to fit it in my daily 1350 allowance.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I don't count calories at all. I eat as much as my body direct me to eat. In general, I eat more than MFP says I should be able to. In this experiment, I have been eating just about what I calculate is my normal amount of calories, and well over what MFP says. MFP says I should eat around 2300-2400 to maintain my weight. I typically maintain with around 2800 a day. I have been averaging a little over 2600 and losing steadily.

Counting calories is something I strongly discourage. I don't believe it's part of the original intent of the vast majority of low-carb plans. One of my threads on calorie counting describes many of the original plans that people follow on here, as well as the opinions of many experts people look up to, and nearly all of them say don't count calories, just restrict the carbs. The calories will take care of themselves. Trust your body.
  • glossbones
    Options
    Like FIT_Goat I don't like to consider calories during my normal eating. However I have been calculating and tracking calories as part of this experiment so that someone can't point to CICO to explain the results.

I have my caloric goal in MFP as 1350, which is how I set the carb limit I prefer. My usual CI is usually closer to 1600, sometimes much MUCH higher. I'm currently eating usually around 1700 calories of ground beef and coffee daily. Today it was higher than usual as I got hungry again in the evening (I ate my two meals much earlier than usual and had denied myself extra food last night when I got hungry).
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    *Holstein Syndrome. Too freaking funny.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Oh, I guess that also means I have completed 4 full weeks after today. LOL, didn't even notice.

There will not be a weekly update tomorrow. I am saving that for the end of the experiment. No point in having two that close together.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL Holstein Syndrome :D
    And yeah... beefmasters seems wrong.

On the flip side, years ago when we were expecting our first son my hubby wanted to name him Angus. I come from a farming family and just couldn't name my kid after my favourite beef. ;)
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I... just love the name Beefmasters. Can we have a group?
  • glossbones
    Options
    Weight's up about 0.4lb today. Slightly less than the weight of the extra patty I ate last night. :D

Hopefully today's a bit less hungry. I'm wearing a slim black dress and I don't want Contented Lion belly.