Histamines, inflamation and biohacking experiment starting

Options
123457»

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate and cashews. LCHF ok as an afternoon snack, or stress eating choice for me... ummm no. Apparently not. Cloggy last night and headache this morning to accompany what feels a bit flu like. Will check electrolytes are all good but right now pretty sure that yumminess is to blame. Anyone else have issues with either?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    OP I am so glad for you that you can eat beef. I know a couple of people with "alpha gal" which causes them to be intolerant to meat from animals that walk on 4 hooves, so they are restricted to poultry & fish.

Concerning your last question, I myself do not have a problem with dark chocolate or cashews. I do get a "hangover" and stuffy nose, etc, after eating mushrooms, fruit with skin that hasn't been peeled first, alcohol except vodka, aged cheeses, onion, garlic, and to some extent legumes. So I have a bit of a problem with peanuts, but not cashews.

This is a fascinating thread, I hope you find your way. I empathize with you.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @KetoneKaren thxs for sharing. You have an interesting stuffy nose list there.I do appreciate your empathy and each of the folk sharing here. Makes it easier to tackle my own frustration of could it just be something non food related. Please let it be something like brussel sprouts which i can live without, not common foods!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Still listening but no help.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @KetoneKaren thxs for sharing. You have an interesting stuffy nose list there.I do appreciate your empathy and each of the folk sharing here. Makes it easier to tackle my own frustration of could it just be something non food related. Please let it be something like brussel sprouts which i can live without, not common foods!

@SamandaIndia - I find that some dark chocolates are triggers for me - and some are not. I can't eat the cheaper forms (generics and the like) or the 100%, even cut with other stuff, but I found THIS NOTE... Doesn't look like it was actually the nuts/chocolate that triggered it, but likely something you ate BEFORE this...

Then there’s a second category of foods that don’t contain histamine themselves, but can cause your body to release more of it. These foods include:
    Fruits and vegetables: citrus fruit, papaya, strawberries, pineapple, tomatoes, spinach
    Meat: Fish, shellfish, and pork
    Other foods: Chocolate, nuts, and raw egg white

http://paleoleap.com/histamines/

http://www.histamineintolerance.org.uk/about/the-food-diary/the-food-list/
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Thank you @KnitOrMiss I think vietnamese food may be my new best friend. I love it and have found a number of tasty options. I will check your websites out tomorrow. Late here after long work day. V interested to explore them.
  • SamandaIndia
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yesterday soft cheeses like camembert at a friends 50th after no cheese for weeks. Aside from headache and sinus pain, I awoke up today with my upper legs and arms both having a pimply rash where hair follicles look blocked. At least that rash reaction is crystal clear. Caesin in dairy is the likely suspect. (Thxs google)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm glad it's a clear reaction, but sucks that it happened! Ugh.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @KetoneKaren your list looks suspiciously like allergies to yeasts & molds, ever had that checked out?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh No but that is the same conclusion I came to...glad to have someone else see that same common theme. I did have some kind of local reaction to a penicillin shot when I was a kid, too, so that also seems to fit with that premise.
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    probiotics n doing a specific diet to improve gut biome.

I've been taking various probiotics for the past year to rebuild my gut biome after chemotherapy last summer, but didn't really start feeling an improvement until I began drinking about 4 oz. of kombucha every day. I started out by purchasing it, then learned how to make it at home. It's really easy and much less expensive than purchasing it.

Kombucha is a fermented green tea drink that has active cultures in it. It tastes a lot like apple cider vinegar, but when you make your own, you can stop the fermentation where you like it: mild or strong, "bubbly" or not. I feel much better since I've been taking kombucha & have markedly reduced my problems with constipation, IBS, and lower bowel pain since incorporating it into my day.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @MaryDeLoria - I had to stop drinking Kombucha due to histamine reactions, so for those of us with histamine issue, Kombucha is not a friendly thing... It's actually likely what triggered or contributed to the onset of my migraines last year... So sad, as it's a fabulous thing, but it wasn't worth the rest of the headaches....literally. In fact, I recently decided to stop the Scoby Hotel I have, and I need to retire what I have left. :(

I paired diatomaceous earth with my onset of probiotic use and have seen improvements that way, too.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Hi folks. Back on deck. Survived business trip to bangalore with no sinus reaction. Stunning result. Bangalore is where my sinus reactions originally got worse and fatigue kicked in. I realise there is a LOT of added sugar in drinks and meals. For example fresh lime soda comes sweet or with salt. Given a choice I skip sugar but I can see how without strict awareness and vigilence my Candida population startied to party! This time I was vigilent but found it difficult. Happy to be home and home cooking again.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Fresh lime soda with salt, OMG.... makes me think of kalamansi and wish to be back in the Philippines
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    A variable worth note: stress. My face goes flakey this week is it the yoghurt, likely, but could also be bad habits assoc stress such as no exercise, dehydration, lack of sleep plus a hormonal response to my mind on overload. Our bodies are such fascinating machines. Think mine might need a "tune up".
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    BTW chocolate caused sneezes this week, as did BBQ chicken (from shops) but next day leftovers of that same chicken was fine, no sneezing. As a scientist the lack of constraints on variables is making any conclusions null n void, or at the best dodgy!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've had no significant issues, but I do get a bit of histamine reactions with older leftovers. I wonder if being on more supplements/probiotics/DE makes a difference? Or even the stomach acid/digestive enzymes stuff - it seems the more internally demolished things are, the less problems they cause? I seem to be less carb sensitive in general since upping my supps game... Food for thought, maybe?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Any suggestions where to find low histammine with low carb recipes. My search is on. Thxs. Will report back what I find.

@SamandaIndia - I can't get to the last post on this board (backwords hacking from links), but ... have you read about or heard about this?

http://healinghistamine.com/the-role-of-vitamin-d-in-histamine-inflammation/

What does your vitamin D response look like?
  • 53YOWM
    53YOWM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate foods that are high in quercetin: http://www.quercetin.com/overview/food-chart