100% Challenge - Mon 5/23 to Until - Join Anytime!

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

04/19/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking today and only did 5200 steps + 11 cents, I misread the weather and turned for home when it started raining on me, and me with no rain gear :) The temperature this morning was 53/51 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking until the rain came :(
    I did get back outside yesterday afternoon and went shopping for Onions for my Brother and a quart of 1% long life milk for the pantry shelf. I am pretty sure I will use it up before February 20, 2018 :)

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/20/2017 Not 100%

Anthropologist was taking lessons from a witch doctor in South America.

The witch doctor said "this palm tree helps stop constipation."

The anthropologist said "How?"

The witch doctor replied "with fronds like these who needs enemas?"

Hi
    I was out walking today and did 5800 steps + 1 cent, The temperature this morning was 49/49 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking until the rain came,
    i was prepared since I took my backpack with the rain jacket along, unfortunately I was facing into the breeze and the rain blowing into my face made me decide to shorten my walk :(
    I did get back outside yesterday afternoon and went for more steps bringing my step count for the day to a little over 10K when I arrived back home and over 11K by the end of the day :)

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/20/2017 Not 100%

Anthropologist was taking lessons from a witch doctor in South America.

The witch doctor said "this palm tree helps stop constipation."

The anthropologist said "How?"

The witch doctor replied "with fronds like these who needs enemas?"

Hi
    I was out walking today and did 5800 steps + 1 cent, The temperature this morning was 49/49 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking until the rain came,
    i was prepared since I took my backpack with the rain jacket along, unfortunately I was facing into the breeze and the rain blowing into my face made me decide to shorten my walk :(
    I did get back outside yesterday afternoon and went for more steps bringing my step count for the day to a little over 10K when I arrived back home and over 11K by the end of the day :)

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/22/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking today and did 7660 steps, The temperature this morning was 51/53 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking until the rain came as I was heading back home, I was prepared just in case as I took My rain jacket along. I did not put the rain jacket on as it was a light drizzly type of rain and the Hood on the Hoodie protected my head and the hoodie was enough to keep me dry for the last minutes.
    I did not get back outside yesterday :(

On a different note. I may have mentioned that I ordered a New Shredder ? Anyway...
    I suspect that is why I woke up during the night with a sore left shoulder :( I did not lift it, I slid it and then when I took it down the stairs I laid it on the wide side and slid it down slowly from below letting friction and the rungs keep it to a safe speed.

It came Yesterday, Talk about heavy duty as well as just plain heavy. 66 Pounds shipping weight, Labels saying Two man Lift and and Team lift. I suspect from two different sources. It is a beast and came with a bottle of Oil to lubricate the cutting wheels each time You change the Bag or if not using a bag empty the Bin. The Bin is larger too. It does a more rectangular cut than the old one so I expect to use both, It is much faster too, It chews through CDs and DVDs easily and fast. The old one despite saying it shreds discs too often stalls on a overload and auto reverses making doing them frustrating. Bottom Line is that it was not cheap OTOH I went cheap a couple of years ago when I bought the last one at Staples and it only really worked well on paper. Live and Learn :)

Tying into the First image of today's post
    I drove Moms 51 when I started driving and a 1964 Hawk Grand Turismo. That is the one with the Long hood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Gran_Turismo_Hawk
    Pictures for anyone curious can be found on that website.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    Overview
    Manufacturer Studebaker
    Production 1962-December 1963
    (1962-1964 model years)
    Assembly South Bend, Indiana, United States of America
    Australia [1]
    Body and chassis
    Body style 2-door coupe
    Layout FR layout

The Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk (or GT Hawk), a sporty coupe sold between 1962 and 1964, was the final development of the Studebaker Hawk series that began with the Golden Hawk of 1956.
    It had the 289-cubic-inch (4.7 L) V8 engine (210 or 225 horsepower) teamed with a four-speed on the floor

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/22/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking today and did 7400 steps, The temperature this morning was 46/41 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking.
    I did not get back outside yesterday, however I did hit my daily goal of 10K steps :)
    While I was walking I stopped at the produce store and picked up Bananas that were just green enough that the first one on the counter will ripen for Monday Morning and the rest went into the refrigerator. I also picked up Sweet Plums, Bartlett Pears and a 1 pound container of Strawberries for 99 cents.

What happens when you leave your dog at home alone:
    Scientists reveal the stress pets go through when isolated

From Here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4432134/What-happens-dog-leave-alone.html
    Few dog owners enjoy leaving their pet alone while they head off to work.
    But most dog lovers have no idea how their animals cope once they have been left alone.
    Now scientists have revealed how dogs spend up to half an hour howling, barking and whining after their owner leaves them alone.

Find the rest of the article by following the link.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/23/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 6500 steps + 1 cent, The temperature this morning was 48/45 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/24/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 6200 steps, Yesterday I went back put in the cfaternoon and ended up over 11K steps for the day. The temperature this morning was 51/52 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking until the light rain started. That was blown into me as I was on the homeward leg of my walk so I shortcut it slightly :(

From Here:
    https://www.studyfinds.org/change-lightbulb-household-chores-study/
    Survey: 1 In 5 Adults In The UK Can’t Change A Lightbulb, Boil An Egg
    22Apr - by Study Finds - 473 - In Brain Studies Education Studies Intelligence Studies
    LONDON — Are you handy enough that if a lightbulb went out in your home you’d be able to change it? Believe it or not, one in five people aren’t so skilled. In fact, a new survey of people in the United Kingdom finds not only do about 20 percent of people not know how to change a bulb — the same number aren’t sure how to boil an egg, either.

The British insurance company Aviva recently released their annual Home Report which detailed, among numerous findings about how people do work around the house, relatively common tasks that people encounter. The company surveyed 2004 people across the UK in February and March about their habits and roles at home.
    Lightbulbs
    A stunning new survey from the United Kingdom found that one in five people did not know how to change a lightbulb or boil an egg.

In addition to just one in five not being able to change a lightbulb or boil an egg, the survey found that nearly a third of the participants couldn’t cook any meal on the fly. And if someone were to spill a portion of their meal on their clothes or on the floor, only 59 percent would know how to get rid of the resulting stain.

Only 37 percent could change a flat tire.

The findings were even surprising to the folks behind the study.

“As a nation we tend to take pride in our ability to do things ourselves in and around the home, so it’s a surprise to see there could be a skills gap in places,” says Aviva Propositions Director Adam Beckett in a press release. “That said, we also know that people lead busy lives, so while we enjoy doing things ourselves, we also appreciate the opportunity to leave things to a professional from time to time, particularly with some of the more challenging jobs.”

Interestingly, while 50 percent of those surveyed said they learned how to do a home task on their by trial and error, plenty of people are turning to the internet for help, especially millennials. The study found four in 10 people aged 25 and under prefer learning do-it-yourself chores online. That’s more than twice the number in the age group who turn to an actual book for help.

Here’s a look at the polled tasks and the number of people who indicated they could successfully complete them:

Task Percentage who feel confident doing this task
    Boil an egg 81%
    Change a light bulb 79%
    Cook a complete meal without using a recipe 69%
    Read a map 66%
    Sew on a button 65%
    Unblock a sink 62%
    Remove a stain from a carpet or clothing 59%
    Change a baby’s nappy 57%
    Wire a plug 57%
    ‘Bleed’ a radiator 53%
    Check oil levels in a car 53%
    Put up a shelf 47%
    Put up wallpaper 39%
    Change a flat tyre 37%
    Change a washer on a tap 30%
    Fit tiles 22%

Click here the link above to read the entire report, which broke down the findings by age groups and revealed many other interesting results.
    Also to read these other articles.
    Mindfulness Practice Benefits Women Much More Than Men, Study Finds
    Study: People Who Bike To Work Live Longer, Have Lower Risk Of Cancer
    Lower Your Risk Of Heart Disease — By Eating This Snack With Every Meal, Study Finds

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/25/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 3400 steps, The temperature this morning was 53/55 degrees. It was not a nice day outside for walking until the light rain stopped. I Got started late and finished early as I am feeling a bit under the weather.
    From Here:

https://www.studyfinds.org/peanuts-heart-disease-study/Survey

Lower Your Risk Of Heart Disease — By Eating Peanuts With Your Meal, Study Finds
    19Apr - by Study Finds
    STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Looking to add an extra layer of protection against having a heart attack? Just add a side of peanuts to your lunch or dinner.

A new study finds that including peanuts with a meal helps keep your arteries stronger after eating — an important factor in allowing healthy blood flow, which lowers your risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases that can result in heart attack or stroke.
    Peanuts
    A new study finds that eating a side of peanuts with your meal may help keep your arteries healthy and prevent against cardiovascular diseases.

Researchers at Penn State University studied 15 overweight and obese men who were otherwise healthy, and had them eat a high-fat meal, following by three-ounces of unsalted peanuts (about three times the amount of an average serving) ground into a shake. A control group was then instructed to eat the same meal, but those participants were fed a shake that contained no peanuts, but was similar in size and nutritional value.

Thirty minutes after the meal, the researchers drew blood from the participants and measured for lipid, lipoprotein, and insulin levels. Blood was drawn again an hour after the meal, and then again at two hours and four hours after the meal. Blood flow was monitored via ultrasound.

LIKE STUDIES? FOLLOW STUDYFINDS.ORG ON FACEBOOK!

The authors determined that the individuals who consumed the peanut shake saw a 32 percent reduction in levels of triglycerides — or fat in blood — compared to those who had the control shake.

The researchers say that grounding peanuts into a shake isn’t necessary for the result — people should see the same effect if eaten normally.

“Typically, whenever we eat something, it causes the arteries to get a little bit stiffer during the post-meal period, but we have shown that if you eat peanuts with your meal, this can help prevent the stiffening response,” says Penny Kris-Etherton, distinguished professor of nutrition at the university, in a press release.

“When the stiffening response happens in the cells that line the arteries, resulting in decreased elasticity in the arteries, it can limit the availability of nitric oxide, and when there’s less nitric oxide, the arteries don’t dilate that much,” she adds. “What you want is a dilation of the arteries and for them to be really elastic.”

Kris-Etherton says that stiffened arteries force the heart to work harder and thus raises the risk of disease and potentially heart failure.

“After a meal, triglycerides increase and this typically decreases the dilation of the arteries, but the peanuts prevent that big increase in triglycerides after the meal,” says Kris-Etherton. “And that may be the mechanism behind this effect, because the triglycerides are not getting so high, which may explain why there is not a decrease in artery elasticity.”

The study was published last month in the Journal of Nutrition.

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/26/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 7200 steps, The temperature this morning was 59/60 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking despite the cloud cover. The Dense Fog in the forecast has not shown up so far. The plan for today is a trip to eastern Pennsylvania so that should add to my step count nicely.

From Here, More information and details by following the links:
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/biotech/sd-me-salt-diet-20170425-story.html

Higher sodium intake associated with lower blood pressure. You read that right.
    In another blow against decades of accepted medical wisdom, one of the most prestigious, long-running studies reports that lowering sodium intake doesn’t reduce blood pressure.

The study also implies that most Americans are consuming a perfectly healthy amount of salt, the main source of sodium. But those who are salt-sensitive, about 20 to 25 percent of the population, still need to restrict salt intake.

Consuming fewer than 2,500 milligrams of sodium daily is actually associated with higher blood pressure, according to the Framingham Offspring Study report, given today. The American Heart Association recommends consuming no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily, equal to a teaspoon of ordinary iodized table salt.
    And
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/04/24/bay-area-low-income-100000-san-francisco-san-mateo-county-hud/
    SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – New figures from the federal government finds in parts of the Bay Area, some people who bring in a six-figure income can be considered “low-income.”

Edward Apana of South San Francisco – married, with 2 children – says the cost of living in the Bay Area is a challenge. So to hear that six-figures is now considered “low income” is a bit shocking, but not that hard to believe.

“Between the two of us, we can still make San Francisco, San Mateo County home,” Apana told KPIX 5 “If one of us were to lose our job, it would be kind of tough.”

The new numbers come from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and specifically have to do with eligibility for government assistance for housing.

HUD says a family of four in San Francisco or San Mateo County with an income of 105,350 is now considered “low income.” For Alameda and Contra Costa County, $80,400 is considered low income.

Hmm...

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/27/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 8300 steps, The temperature this morning was 58/59 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking despite the cloud cover. The Dense Fog in the forecast has not shown up so far, It is getting foggier strangely to me. The plan for yesterday was for a trip to eastern Pennsylvania which should add to my step count nicely. However on the return home I left my fitbit sitting so I missed some of my steps :(

I am sitting here resting for a few minutes before I go out to mow the lawn :(

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/28/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 7400 steps + 11 cents, The temperature this morning was 66/64 degrees. It was a nice day outside for walking despite the Sun. I did start to feel the heat from the sun on the return leg of my walk. I got a late start as I slept late after being woken up by a 4:30AM Thunderstorm that lasted until after 5AM with large rain drop noise :)
    I did go out to mow the lawn, yesterday and ended up the day at 11.6K+ for a step count. Next weeks mow will be my brothers turn as we alternate. Today is go out and mulch using the bags we bought earlier this week at $2 for a 2 cubic foot Scotts Brown Mulch.

Have a Great Saturday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/29/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 8500 steps, The temperature this morning was 61/61 degrees. It was another nice day outside for walking. I got a late start as I slept later than usual :)
    We are forecast to be in the 50s today too, yesterday it was 86 in parts on NJ :( Yo-Yo temperature this month sadly. That does make it hard to settle into any rhythm.
    While walking I stopped for two eggs and a cup of Decaf, I turned some of the eggs into a sandwich using the toast and brought the home fires back to the house where my brother will use them tomorrow in his breakfast. Then I stopped at the Dollar store and spent a whopping Three dollars on a Box Of Blueberry Pancakes, a box of Blueberry Waffles and a Quart of 1% milk that will be safe on the pantry shelf until it reaches its Best if used buy march 20, 2018 :) I love the long shelf life since it means I can keep One in the Refrigerator and two on the shelf as every now and then they run out of the 1% and only have 2% or sometimes only whole milk.

I ended up the day at 10.2K+ for a step count. We went out Saturday and mulched using the bags we bought earlier this week at $2 for a 2 cubic foot Scotts Brown Mulch.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

04/30/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 5300 steps, The temperature this morning was 60/52 degrees. It was another so so day outside for walking. )
    The air is somewhat hazy outside. While I was walking I did see a Fox come up a side road running through peoples front yards and turn down the cross street heading towards the park. That makes two Foxes I have seen in different parts of town.

Our Weather forecast Sunday night indicated Semi to severe Thunderstorms overnight on Monday into Tuesday.

I ended up the day at 10.1K+ yesterday for a step count.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

05/01/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 6100 steps, The temperature this morning was 70/71 degrees. It was a poor day outside for walking. As I was leaving the 7-Eleven with my coffee it started to rain. So I stayed under the overhang for a while until it let up. rather than take a chance I headed for home while it was stopped.
    The Thunderstorms in the forecast failed to appear where I am. Oh well, I do not think it even rained much overnight, it looks as if the rain and thunderstorms went past to the north of Central NJ.
    Currently it is a beautiful looking day outside the window, Oh Well :)

I plan to either go to CostCo or the ShopRite later when my brother leaves for a while. I want to get some more protein shakes and Fruit.

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

05/02/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 7400 steps + 1 Quarter, The temperature this morning is cooler than Tuesdays 59/59 degrees.
    Currently it is a beautiful looking day outside the window.

I went to the ShopRite and spent around $40. I planned to get some more protein shakes and Fruit. I managed to forget the Protein shakes :( Now I need to go back in the next couple of days or switch to using an alternative before I go walking. I may be able to get there this morning :)

Have a Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

05/03/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 6000 steps + 1 cent. The temperature this morning is cooler than yesterday at 45/41 degrees. Yesterday between the Grocery Shopping, unloading Garden supplies and then spreading Lime on the yard I ended up the day with 13,800 steps so between these two days I am near my average goal of steps.
    Currently it is a beautiful looking day outside the window.

I went to the ShopRite again Wednesday and spent around $69.95. I planned to get some more protein shakes and Fruit. The Atkins Protein shakes were on sale where the best price was to buy three, so I took advantage of that and bought three of three different flavors so I now have a 36 day supply of them plus 7 Muscle Milk Chocolate Protein Shakes. I also bought a bag of Clementines on sale so between those and the Pinata Apples I bought Yesterday and the Bananas on hand I am good for fruit too. Then since Poland Spring Water is on sale I bought three and got a coupon for $2 off a future purchase as long as I use it before May 17th.

I managed to forget something again, OTOH it was seltzers for my brother and a optional if they were on sale only item. I really need to start creating a shopping list.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

05/04/2017 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 6200 steps. The temperature this morning is warmer than Thursdays at 54/52 degrees. Yesterday I ended the day with 11,500 steps. I ended up going back out in the afternoon which is why the step count was up. Currently it is a darl, dreary day outside. The forecast rain has not arrived beyond a light drizzle that went away. The breeze that was predicted has arrived however :)

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

05/05/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 8800 steps. The temperature this morning is warmer than Thursdays at 60/62 degrees. Currently it is a darkish, dreary day outside. There was a light Rain around 6:20 according to my brother :) I slept late and missed it :( Not.

While I was out I stopped for 2 Eggs and Whole Wheat Toast as breakfast and brought the Home-fries back since my brother will use them later today with his dinner or Sunday morning as a part of Sunday's breakfast.

The Phone just rang with a number that I looked and and did not answer. The number is 862-210-2406, A quick Google search shows it has been used for several types of scams. I never answer as there is always a possibility that I might slip up and say "Yes" or something else in the affirmative that could be recorded and used as proof I purchased something.

Have a Great Saturday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

05/05/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 8800 steps. The temperature this morning is warmer than Thursdays at 60/62 degrees. Currently it is a darkish, dreary day outside. There was a light Rain around 6:20 according to my brother :) I slept late and missed it :( Not.

While I was out I stopped for 2 Eggs and Whole Wheat Toast as breakfast and brought the Home-fries back since my brother will use them later today with his dinner or Sunday morning as a part of Sunday's breakfast.

The Phone just rang with a number that I looked and and did not answer. The number is 862-210-2406, A quick Google search shows it has been used for several types of scams. I never answer as there is always a possibility that I might slip up and say "Yes" or something else in the affirmative that could be recorded and used as proof I purchased something.

Have a Great Saturday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Options

05/06/2017 Not 100%

Hi
    I was out walking this morning and did 7600 steps. The temperature this morning is cooler than Saturdays at 51/51 degrees. Currently it is a bit dark outside. That is in contrast to when I left the house and the Sun was shining and the warmth from it felt good. On the return leg after the clouds moved in and the breeze picked up it was a bit chilly.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger