anyone interested in the whole30?

Options

Replies

• jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    HI all--how's it going? Day 21 here, and it's going really well. Especially since I got myself to the doctor finally and got some antibiotics for this lingering cold (last week I'd wondered if it was detox...but turns out it's a sinus infection) and feel so much better! I've had so many good meals, and have really been branching out more, eating more fish, different veggies, etc. Tried two new recipes this weekend (both from everydaypaleo.com I can't recommend enough:

1. http://everydaypaleo.com/sausage-egg-and-sweet-potato-breakfast-skillet/
    (calls for pork sausage, but I couldn't find any that didn't have sugar in it--I couldn't believe it when I read the label on the sweet Italian sausage I've been buying at the grocery store for years and found corn syrup on the ingredients list!--so I used some veal sausage we got at the farmer's market)

2. http://everydaypaleo.com/cumin-spiced-slow-cooked-pork/

If nothing else, this 30 day program has made me much more aware of all the crap that's in food--it really does inspire me to make much more from scratch (and I'd have never thought of myself as much of a processed-food eater, but even the foods I thought were pretty "clean" really weren't!).

How's everyone else doing?

Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Can you buy ground pork and add spices to make your own sausage?

This is what I do. I like "Make It Paleo" Cookbook's sausage recipe. I don't have it on hand (it's at home, I'm at work) and I don't believe the recipe is available online. I'll try to locate it nonetheless to share it. It's tasty!

On Day 1 as I displayed blatent disregard for the Whole30 rules this weekend. TIRED today... and hungry - for munchy foods like almonds and such. I have none of that with me at work, so I'm toughing through.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Here is that recipe I promised. I didn't realize Make it Paleo and The Primal Palate/Food Lovers Kitchen were one in the same.

http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/breakfast-sausages/
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Here is that recipe I promised. I didn't realize Make it Paleo and The Primal Palate/Food Lovers Kitchen were one in the same.

http://www.primalpalate.com/recipe/breakfast-sausages/

Thanks so much--I'll definitely try this!
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Also, if you haven't made Melissa Joulwan's paleo mayo, you really should! Use EXTRA LIGHT olive oil, otherwise the olive flavor is pretty overwhelming. And definitely take her advice about letting all the ingredients come to room temperature first. I had an unfortunate liquid-mayo situation the first time I tried the recipe. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Crickets around here!

Well, I'll post to myself. Day 28 of the Whole30. It's been great. I feel really good overall and am definitely planning to continue eating this way after Wednesday when the month is up. I may actually continue full-bore for a few days after Wednesday because I've had a lot of cravings the past couple of days (hormonal) and I feel like I need some recovery from that. But, I'm really looking forward to re-introducing certain things, so not sure how long I'll last! A little afraid to weigh myself, because even though this is not *really* a weight-loss program, I'm certainly hoping it's helped me there, too!

Hope you guys and gals are all doing well.
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @dandelion39 Great job getting through the month! I am on day 12 of my whole 30... The one exception to the "rules" is that I've been weighing myself. I've lost about 5 lb so far in the 12 days. I did exercise too, though- I started Ripped in 30...so I'm not sure if that effected my weightloss (I hear you can gain weight from muscle during Jillian's workouts)... Definitely not complaining about 5 lb though!!!!

The only thing that has been getting me through the month are turkey patties for breakfast and salads for lunch using Melissa's Paleo Mayo to make ranch. Like you mentioned- it is AWESOME!

Good luck with your reintroduction of foods soon!
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am on day 8! I really didn't think I could do it, but so far so good:smile:

http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/2013/04/homemade-olive-oil-mayonnaise

This is the recipe I used for homemade mayo - not as much patience required (as I too had a liquid mayo the first time.)

I was looking fo ra breakfast sausage recipe - thank you to who posted it.

Chicken breast and roasted vegetables have been my saving grace.

I love salad but need to find a good dressing, any suggestions? Haven't had one since starting the Whole30.

Wishing you all the best of luck!
  • shuki_cotren
    Options

I love salad but need to find a good dressing, any suggestions? Haven't had one since starting the Whole30.

Paleo Ranch dressing is just Paleo Mayo with added spices. I made a different version of paleo mayo:
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

Then here is what you add to her Mayo recipe:

Ranch Dressing
    1/4 cup homemade mayo
    1/2 clove garlic, minced
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoons dried chives
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    salt and black pepper, to taste
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/recipes-index/

These are just some of the sauces off of Melissa Joulwan's "Recipe Index" on her blog. She is the author of Well Fed (a paleo cookbook)

Spices & Sauces

Best Stir-Fry Sauce EVER: that’s all you need to know
    Basil Pesto: the paleo take on the traditional
    South Indian Curry Sauce: works on any protein
    Homemade Olive Oil Mayo: silky, creamy, and good for you
    Creamy Italian Dressing: tangy goodness makes salad decadent
    Southwestern Cumin-Lime Dressing: earthy cumin with the zing of lime
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    A BIG thanks to everyone posting their recipe links! Day 15 for me! First real craving came today...cream cheese? LOL!!!
    Overall, my health has greatly improved; no more morning aches, brain fog, and restful sleep. I sometimes "think" my clothes seem slightly bigger, 15 more days and I'll be checking on that for sure. I had taken measurements and pictures prior to starting.
    Hope everyone is seeing improvements!
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks shuki_cotren for the recipes. Last night I did homemade mayo with adobe seasoning and a little water. Best salad ever. I will try your ranch recipe tonight.

Day 9 here I come :flowerforyou:
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Hi all...glad you're doing so well! I have those *creamy* cravings too (like for cream cheese). It's more for the texture than for the actual product. I've just finished reading It Starts With Food, and that's really motivating me to keep this program going after it's officially finished on Thursday (today's day 29 for me!). Also, I love reading the paleo/primal success stories on Mark's Daily Apple. What a great site that is! I'm definitely feeling like I've lost some weight, though probably not that much. But I'm going to wait another week (maybe less) to weigh myself because I always gain a lot monthly and I don't want that bloat confusing my Whole30 results. So, it will probably be a Whole35 or 37 by the time I weigh.
  • climberchic
    climberchic Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I've really enjoyed reading your discussions. I will be starting the Whole30 tomorrow and am very excited about it. I know that it is going to be tough for me because I do like my sweets and bread. The one upside for me is that I also really enjoy everything that you should eat on the whole30 and Paleo. My challenge will be eliminating snacking. I will keep you all updated on my progress if you'd like!! Thanks again for sharing your stories and providing inspiration. :smile:
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Good luck, climberchic! Snacking is the hardest part for me--at certain times of day, I just really want something crunchy and snacky. My advice is to cut up lots and lots of veggies and make Melissa Joulwan's Italian or ranch dressing to dip them in. If you're trying to lose weight, stay away from the nuts...they're so tempting, and so caloric. I should have eaten fewer this month!

Day 30 today! But, I'm not stopping tomorrow...going to go a few more days.
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Me again...just thought I'd share some recipes I tried last night:

Chicken, broccoli, and cabbage stir-fry: http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-chicken-stir-fry/
    (I added 5 spice powder to the stir fry sauce, which gave it a nice depth of flavor)

Cauliflower rice: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626071845/another-simpler-version-of-cauliflower-rice
    (I didn't add any of the spices recommended in the recipe because I just wanted a plain base for the stir fry)

The "rice" in particular was really great...even my hub, who resists substitutions for "regular" food, gobbled his up!

Enjoy!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!!
    Well another week has flown by, and I've been doing pretty good.
    No real temptations this week, I think my sugar crush is done with. I had a plum yesterday, I don't think I had ever noticed how sweet fruit is!
    My clothes feel a lot looser, can't wait to do pictures and measurements next Monday (the 26th)...but I'm ready for another nice surprise~
    Have a great week, and FR me if you like!
  • climberchic
    climberchic Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! So, I "sort of" started the whole 30 last Wednesday. I did great Wednesday and Thursday but then had to go on a road trip. I fell right off the wagon at all the gas stations. No worries though. I got my Mom on board and we kicked off again for a reset on Monday. I am now on Day 3 and I must say, I am super pleased. It hasn't been hard so far, but I've always enjoyed vegetables anyway. Think I'm going to start a new topic with my food choices. Good luck to everyone!!
  • dandelion39
    Options
    Hi all—just thought I'd check in and let you know my results after 5 weeks on the Whole30. (I added a week because I didn't want to weigh myself in the middle of shark week and get depressed by all the hormonal bloat weight!) Drumrolll....I lost 9.5 lbs. That's absolutely huge for me, so I'm thrilled. Oh, and my hub lost 15 in four weeks! I think he's lost more this week, but he hasn't weighed again. I also lost inches from my waist and hips. Yay! I'm definitely sticking with a primal/paleo eating plan.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hi all—just thought I'd check in and let you know my results after 5 weeks on the Whole30. (I added a week because I didn't want to weigh myself in the middle of shark week and get depressed by all the hormonal bloat weight!) Drumrolll....I lost 9.5 lbs. That's absolutely huge for me, so I'm thrilled. Oh, and my hub lost 15 in four weeks! I think he's lost more this week, but he hasn't weighed again. I also lost inches from my waist and hips. Yay! I'm definitely sticking with a primal/paleo eating plan.
    `Aside from the weight(this is the side effects of a whole 30)how do you feel?
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Day 12 of Auto Immune Protocol and it's all going very well.This is my 2nd whole 30 but the first time doing AIP..I had a hard first week of being tired but now feel in fantastic mode.
    Digestion seems to be back to normal and fitness is improving..sleeping really well(although this is never an issue)and realised that it's not possible to eat anything outside of the home.
    I did this week and I have suffered from it for 2 days..and it was only chicken that said it just had spices in it..hmmm...at least I know.
    Looking forward to seeing if I get to eat chillies again or if they are going to be off the table for a while..I miss them dearly.