Dating life Post Surgery

Options
NicoleL874
NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
I cannot be alone in the single but dating life. It's so weird to try and meet people, then figure out how much to tell them and when.

I'm meeting a new guy this Saturday. Nervously excited. We are meeting in a forest preserve to go for a walk. That's new. I like it. He's active and loves being outside. So, we'll walk and talk and see how that goes...

Seriously, anyone else single? lol, I need buddies who feel my pain! *smile*

Replies

• NicoleL874
    Options
    @garber6th I was on in the Spring, met some odd ducks, then met the oddest and for whatever reason decided to stick it out with him. Looking back, I knew the whole time that we really weren't right for one another. My best friend now says, "Yeah, I knew in May it wouldn't last, you weren't listening to yourself." Now, I see he was the training wheels. I am so not self-confident that I needed someone who had pie in the sky ideas of us and seemed to love me unconditionally. Now, I'm back online. *sigh* I am meeting this guy, we get along great. He's new to the area and I'm trying to convince myself that even if there are no sparks a new workout buddy would be great. Emphasis on the word *trying* lol!

@chubby_checkers So how did you meet your SO? Or was he one of the two? NOT COMPLAINING AT ALL, but I do think I'm the ONLY female who hasn't received the rando dick pic. lol
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    @garber6th Oh, and I'm really kinda weird too. I don't know if I'm *really* weird or just weird in my head. Either way, I'm trying to overcome it and be more *me* when I first meet people. I'm usually incredibly reserved until I know someone, then there's a WHOLE LOTTA Nicole going on. Shocks the crap out of people. I think that's part of what happened last time. And yeah, that's hilarious about the pics. I'll have to keep your quip in mind to use, lol!

@anbrdr Yeah, the last guy said in his profile that he was into fitness. "Fit n dis whole sammich in my mouth" is what it should have said. I feel like I wasted my whole summer with him. I did continue to eat right and workout (albeit less than I was before) so now I'm excited to meet someone who seems to be incredibly active. To the point I'm a little nervous about keeping up! lol

We did exchange numbers, I did reverse look it up, found his name, address, FB page. I've sufficiently stalked him online, lol! As a single woman, I feel it's my duty to do so. ;)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    @chubby_checkers So how did you meet your SO? Or was he one of the two? NOT COMPLAINING AT ALL, but I do think I'm the ONLY female who hasn't received the rando dick pic. lol

He was one of the two. :)

Spend anytime in the online dating scene and you'll get one (or a dozen). I usually responded with "aww. It's so cute and tiny!" I got called a b*tch a lot. Lol!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    I'm only on plentyoffish, it's free. I'm 42, and have been finding guys in that age range, but yeah...lots of "WOW" moments.

My "NOPE" list isn't too long.

If there are a ton of pics, but all with other people so I have to figure out which is you, nope.
    If there are too many memes, and one or two pics, nope. It's not Facebook, I want to see YOU.
    If I receive a message that just says, "hi." or "hey there", I don't have the time. I have a profile, why did you message me?
    If they don't have their profile filled out, or cannot put a cohesive statement together (use "r" "u" "2") forget it.
    Yeah, anything other than "divorced", "widow", "single" is a no go.
    If they ask for my phone number in the first conversation. My profile says I will not give it out quickly, so don't ask.

I'm quick to block, lol, I like the block function.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    If there are too many memes, and one or two pics, nope. It's not Facebook, I want to see YOU.
    If I receive a message that just says, "hi." or "hey there", I don't have the time. I have a profile, why did you message me?
    If they don't have their profile filled out, or cannot put a cohesive statement together (use "r" "u" "2") forget it.

I'm quick to block, lol, I like the block function.

All of this!! I also have on my profile that if you have no picture or your profile isn't complete, or if you are not local, please don't contact me. Do you know how many people from out of state with no picture or profile contact me??

It amazes me that I am on a site for people over 50 and a LOT of these men cannot form a complete sentence, let alone a sentence without "r", "u", etc.
  • garber6th
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    My other red flags are heavily religious folk, smokers, racists, and homo/trans phobes. Pretty much anything else is flexible

Yes!

• NicoleL874
    Options
    Well, I did go on a date Saturday. Met in a local forest preserve, walked over six miles. Had great conversation. Got a great hug goodbye. Had the possibility of something for Saturday night, but he texted late that he was exhausted. Little contact since. I'm over-thinking, like I always do. I just hate electronic communication as a primary method. His profile said that exact thing.

Now, to breathe and wait for him to contact me again. (I did text yesterday) We'll see...

• garber6th
    Options
    Well, I did go on a date Saturday. Met in a local forest preserve, walked over six miles. Had great conversation. Got a great hug goodbye. Had the possibility of something for Saturday night, but he texted late that he was exhausted. Little contact since. I'm over-thinking, like I always do. I just hate electronic communication as a primary method. His profile said that exact thing.

Now, to breathe and wait for him to contact me again. (I did text yesterday) We'll see...

The waiting is the hard part! I hope it all works out the way you want it to. Keep us posted!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    Don't short change yourself...but remember that what you think you want may not be what you need. Keep an open mind. Don't invest time or energy into someone that can't contribute to you meeting your goals whatever they may be.

^^^^^ SO. MUCH. THAT. ^^^^^

I got out of the recent four-month debacle slightly scathed. Really, learning more about me and what I need vs what I thought I needed or deserved.

Then, after the date on Saturday, I spent a LONG time thinking about what I want in a relationship.

For me, it's been decades of self-isolation spotted with few bright spots of wanting to be with people. Now, I want a relationship, but didn't think I could get or deserved more than I had found. Looking back I see how miserable I was just settling. I'm active, like being active, like doing things, like exploring life and need to find someone who does the same.

Hey, thanks to all my internet psychiatrists! lol
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Confidence is badass!
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    So I signed up for google voice, got a fake phone number, figured out how to get it working...

Do you guys ever go out with people that you know there's really nothing? Like, just getting your feet wet kinda thing? Does that make me a horrible person? lol *sigh*
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Nope, I think it's normal.

The Google Voice number is a really smart idea! No sense in giving all the weirdos your real number.