Projects to keep me off the streets - Fire Department Table, Kayak

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,133 Member
    Options
    The idiot does very fine work. Loving these updates!!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    q6g5ssaqqqir.png

All pieces glued up with epoxy.
  • Farback
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    You only post that stuff ^^^^ because you know it makes us tech nerds swoon! ;)
  • Farback
    Options
    No point in having cool software if you don't show it off.
  • Farback
    Options
    Completed the end tables today, and made progress on the Greenland paddle.
    c5g6q17osohb.png
    Cleats glued and doweled into blind holes in the sides.

31amnfed8ods.png
    The tops are glued and doweled vertically into the cleat with screws as extra security.

5q6ujpz20be9.png
    The one with the most flaws is mine. I drilled a 1" hole in the back of the shelf to allow a power bar for various chargers.

4z367g9vtq0k.png
    The customer gets the better one. These are my first cabinets. I learned a lot doing these.

And, some work on the paddle.

2xz0wqsrfmw9.png
    Ready for shaping

pe38am3rzaqv.png
    Bandsaw cuts made, marked out for cutting facets with the draw knife..

qrmwlz9twq58.png
    Lots of lines and angles to lay out,

a5r8tpf0ctb1.png
    This is the parts that are not a paddle.

jwkofc8w87zw.png
    Starting to look like something.

yjqfzen07pim.png
    The large spokeshave is a Veritas from Lee valley. You can't beat good tools. Spent an hour sharpening the knives and chisels before starting on a solid three hours of shaping with handtools. No workout needed today.

aqhrkqtics2w.png
    And, after a long day, a drink of scotch before all hell breaks loose with the weather. 40 to 60 CM expected through the day tomorrow. Got to get to work early, worst conditions locally start at 08:00 till 16:00. Maybe out on a big red truck through the night.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Amazing artistry. :mrgreen:
    Stay safe in the weather. :worried:
  • Farback
    Options
    Finished the paddle tonight after a nap brought on from working 27 hours, a couple fire calls, and cause, well, I am 60.

Contours cut with a spokeshave, then sanded 40,60, 100,220 with Tung oil finish. Nice feel and weight despite being all hardwoods, ash, walnut and cherry blade edges for rock whackin.

pxz029iqbpil.png
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Lovely!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    All looking impressive!
  • Farback
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bbsiqxi92xql.png
    I'm making a second paddle to carry as a safety spare. It will break down into two pieces to fit under the bungees behind the cockpit. It's a solid piece of cedar, not snazzy hardwood laminate. Should only take a couple evenings. Did all the initial layout and saw cuts tonight.

bh1jsaqw3ypj.png
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Sawyer! There's a blast from the past. I'm thinking perhaps this is a remnant of the company that used to make some very popular canoes hereabouts. At one point, I nearly bought one (solo boat). Instead, I got a used Wenonah, a somewhat-outdated racing model solo boat, all very light and efficient, that the previous owner had adapted for seated paddling (tractor seat and foot brace) rather than kneeling. Have liked the Wenonahs ever since - this is flatwater country, mostly (lower Michigan). But Sawyer built some nice hulls, of a modern sort, too.
  • Farback
    Options
    I looked up Sawyers parent site, they're still round and have lots of neat stuff. I ordered this part from CLC boats. I went looking for the prt on my side of the future wall 2.0, and found no distributors here, but found Sawler's website, http://www.paddlesandoars.com/
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Yes. The canoes were built in Oscoda MI by the same Sawyer family that give the current oar/paddle business its name. The canoe company eventually went out of business, sadly for many who were fans of the boats. The oar & paddle people's logo is similar to what was used for the boats, IIRC, which is why I thought they were related. I see there's a bit of history on the web. Nice to know a bit of it lives on! :)
  • Farback
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My new apprentice, my grandson, and I are busy. Making two paddles, a doll bed for his sister, picked up lumber for his cousin's toy box, and planning kayak builds for him, his sister and other cousin, the 5 year olds.

16830815_10158184851740537_2864061950120470686_n.jpg?oh=bcd222a4daa072476fe05e3e2ffa4452&oe=594ABD77
    Greenland paddle blank anthropomorphically sized for the owner.

16806981_10158184852500537_2491961682288568068_n.jpg?oh=09c9de72820bbf19971aa19947b1b455&oe=594C224B

Accurate layout to within 1/32"

16831956_10158184859515537_8512135076312626080_n.jpg?oh=eeea9500e6f4b54436e39e78fd24cb2c&oe=593C9911

Learning to use some of the safer power tools.

16832384_10158184860320537_6343060385074829097_n.jpg?oh=7487423847b918775a9def0734ce8b84&oe=593E1375

My completed hardwood paddle, and the cedar blanks for our current paddes in progress.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    So much math. My head hurts.
    At one point, Mattel made a talking Barbie doll that said (among other things) "Math is hard" (caused quite a stir). Are you suggesting it should've been the talking Ken doll, instead? ;)

No, you can't fool us . . . you love this nerd sh- . . . . stuff. :)

In all due seriousness: That's a beautiful toy chest.

I have a painted blanket chest that my great-grandfather - whom I never met - made, and I value it greatly.

(I also have a fascinating - we never knew- maybe originally tack chest? - that someone made and that was left at the farm my grandparents bought in 1922, when my dad was 5 y/o. When I got it, it was painted with white paint gone cream, with added duckie decals, over the presumably original iron oxide barn paint. I stripped off that layer back to the iron oxide. But that's not what makes it fascinating to me - to me, the features are the 16.5-inch-foot-wide clear pine (I surmise) planks that make up each side, and forged nails (other than some later repairs).)

You're making a wonderful heirloom, something that will be valued by generations you, sadly, may never meet. But they'll know you by your handiwork. Well done.
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I remember that 'dumb Barbie' scandal. We raised two strong, independant minded daughters. They'd have had nothing to do with that sort of thing, and god help anyone who tried to treat them as second class citizens.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,133 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My father made blanket boxes for my sisters and some of the grandkids. I asked my daughter if she wanted one and she declined. I might ask Dad to make one regardless. Perhaps she will want it one day?

Either that or something smaller... a keepsake and/or heirloom... Dad won't be around forever....

OR I'll have to learn to make one myself. I've tried my hand at woodworking and did okay. To take it to the next level means new tools....
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    My father made blanket boxes for my sisters and some of the grandkids. I asked my daughter if she wanted one and she declined. I might ask Dad to make one regardless. Perhaps she will want it one day?

Either that or something smaller... a keepsake and/or heirloom... Dad won't be around forever....

OR I'll have to learn to make one myself. I've tried my hand at woodworking and did okay. To take it to the next level means new tools....

New tools are always good ;) .

As a generally crafts-y person, I frequently delude myself into believing that if I buy the tools for some new activity, a bit of raw material, and instructions . . . well, that's utterly equivalent in and of it self to actually being able to do the thing.

Then I try it, and usually decide there might be some practice involved, too. ;)

I think @Farback's been practicing for a while, and it shows. A good example for us all! :)