Projects to keep me off the streets - Fire Department Table, Kayak

Options
Farback
Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
The new Chief (my successor after the wee heart attack thing) asked me to use my limited skills to make a table for the apparatus floor. Commonly known as the 'liar's table'. Many of us eat lunch and generally hang out there, and the present one is often quite crowded. I'm building a 4' by 10' heavy oak table which will have our department crest epoxied into the top. These are popular in fire halls across North America. It's being built in secret, and will just appear late one night. I'll post updates and pictures as I go along if anyone is interested.

Replies

• Farback
    Options
    Today's efforts was to turn a pile of rough cut lumber into pieces for legs (laminated pairs of 2" x 4") and aprons, and cross braces. Five hours of ripping with a new blade and planing to planned thickness took this pile of rough lumber to this pile of dimensioned pieces.

ob0awd26kumj.png

qdg2dz8e9eve.png

Some ten foot runs on these, had to set up a long line.

7uj1udsmzt20.png

1ceawb8dzd4p.png

If women don't find you handsome, they should find you handy. Or coated in sawdust.

gt6ifp4kqh55.png

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Or all three! Nice work today. I'll look forward to the finished project!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have mad skillz :mrgreen:
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce! I'm following the thread for sure and look forward to the progress as well as the final product.

So wish I had spent more time with my Dad to learn some of his carpentry skills. Hopefully God will eventually bless me with a man who has some handy skillz.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    How interesting.. why is it called the liars table? I look forward to see the finished product :)
  • Farback
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    How interesting.. why is it called the liars table? I look forward to see the finished product :)

The longer we talk the taller the tales.
  • BBee5064
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I see :)
    Makes sense now
  • Farback
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ran the top planks through the planer today to get uniform thickness and smooth finish.

Cut the leg pieces at 30", finished length will be 29 1/8 which will result in table top being 30" when added.

Blade change and set up on the band saw.

Made test cuts to waste pieces to figure out how I'm going to do the compound cuts to the legs to tenon in the apron rails. Combination of band saw, carefully adjusted and stopped table saw cuts, Japanese draw saw and and chisel work. I had to go in to work to follow up on a problem from last night, so I used my Autocad to make a drawing for the leg cuts. Four hours work today.

vxp87ah8waqn.png
    7ejl21rca8fy.png
    nlu5be894mcf.png
    6azxqtyh4sqd.png
    0nn4jpi5box6.png
    4q4r68iqvmxf.png
  • Farback
    Options
    Went back at it for an hour, but getting tired and can't afford to make mistakes with expensive oak. The leg design has a mirror image effect, so there's two of each cut, A,B,C,D.
    j74t4990ch3b.png
    lq348shsfhkf.png

The shop is cleaned up for the night. I have a good sawdust collection system that connects to all the tools, plus a box fan blowing through a furnace filter and an in-line fan tee'd into the dryer exhaust vent to the outside. All works well to keep the dust managed. I have two full bags of sawdust so far on this job.

c5wsae6awtgw.png

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Looks like it is coming along nicely. A lot of work. Should keep you out of mischief for a while.
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Dude...awesome! I'm a bit jealous of your skills.
    Our "liars table" can be found in the local bar...I know what you mean about tall tales.
    I've been both a firefighter and an underground miner. I think miners are worse. LOL
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Oooo! Nice shop! I mean, that's gonna be an amazing table and all, but I seriously have shop envy. Even daddy (the actual professional carpenter) didn't have all that swell dust-management stuff. Rockin'! :)
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks Anne. I build my own kayaks, and there's actually a 90% complete one hanging from the rafters in some of these pictures. A winter job to finally complete this boat.
  • Farback
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Another 5 hour day on the table. Finished the rough build of the legs, fitting and finishing yet to go. Lots of innovative cutting today, and chisel work.. Next step once glue drys is to cut a couple short pieces to the size and shape (45 degree chamfer where they intersect) of the apron boards and get the tenon openings dialed in.

The leg assemblies are made of two 2x4 pieces, glued together with two 1/2" oak dowels to connect them. The dowel drilling has to be right on, and the outer leg half is a blind hole so the dowel will only show as a flush (after trimming) circle on the inside of the leg.

Guides, clamps, dust extraction, and depth settings make for accurate drilling.

kdq4vx9ozyw4.png
    sd1hp3n0d1ae.png
    yakayxe62k9s.png
    vr77fw3mdw6s.png
    2jkrxsrixvjh.png
    ic4jefw5b6j6.png
    eys3dl53bzbi.png

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,133 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous of your wicked woodworking skills!!
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks Mac. It's a passion of mine. After 40 years in industry I much prefer working with wood. Tech stuff paid the bills, but this is what I enjoy doing.
  • Farback
    Options
    That 1 gallon trash can in these pics with the 'debbie travis' label is a joke I made for SHEWHOMUSTBEOBEYED
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Thanks Anne. I build my own kayaks, and there's actually a 90% complete one hanging from the rafters in some of these pictures. A winter job to finally complete this boat.

This shop, and wood kayaks? Wow: Double envy! (I'm a maker, but smaller stuff and different raw materials, jewelry and clothing, mostly, on the utilitarian side. Love me some human-powered boats, though!)
  • Farback
    Options
    Have a look at my website
    www. Farback.ca
    Build logs of the boats i've done are there. The incomplete one is my boat, finally. 'Das Boot' The others I've made for family and one for a children's camp my wife and I are involved with.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Doing a great job Farback.
    Brilliant workshop. My hubby is a joiner/builder
    He would die for that workshop. He would definitely have workshop envy :)