Projects to keep me off the streets - Fire Department Table, Kayak

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    A really beautiful table farback. I wouldn't hate having one of those. ;)

I still think you need to make some matching chairs though, that would really keep you occupied for awhile!
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Midnight delivery service

By a jolly old dude in a red suit?
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    marshal616 wrote: »
    Farback wrote: »
    Midnight delivery service

By a jolly old dude in a red suit?

My beard is almost all white now, and my winter jacket is red. people don't mess with me this time of year.
  • Farback
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    A really beautiful table farback. I wouldn't hate having one of those. ;)

I still think you need to make some matching chairs though, that would really keep you occupied for awhile!

I might just try my hand at a nice chair design next.
  • Farback
    Options
    Only an hour so far tonight, I applied a coat of Spar Urethane to the table bottom and the base assembly. Half a can, lots of surface area here. This product will withstand the occasional over spray from truck washing. I likely will have to wait till the morning now to flip the table over and get to work on the top. Vacation day tomorrow so I'll get a lot done. I'm retiring at the end of May and have vacation days to burn up.

Gotta be careful with this stuff. It's got a skilikin right there on the can.
    9w41l30hmlrp.png

All shiny like.
    7o9l3tyusxsg.png

mqdrb865pvee.png

• Farback
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Not much progress today. It's 5 F here with whiteouts. Spend the day at the fire hall and several hours operating the heavy rescue truck at this chilly get together.

73zb4lfsa5it.jpg

I'm driving the truck above the 18 wheeler convention. right there |
    .......................................................................................................\/
    abjs204z1wgl.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    @Farback: "Yikes!" to the 18-wheeler mess! I hope there were no serious injuries. We're in weather kinda like that right now, too (mid-palm in Michigan's mitten).

And I'm puzzled: Why does the urethane varnish have a name that makes it sound like aftershave?
  • Farback
    Options
    4 hours, 59 total. The Chief dropped in after we were done far-fightin for the day. He helped me flip the table top over to the top face. Four hours later it's ready for attaching the end pieces but I'm beat. 9PM, time for supper.

Planing, sanding at 80 and 120.
    46x3fqra03n0.jpg

After much work, sanded to 120, end pieces fitted and ready to attach.
    tr6scj197dh4.jpg

The size of the crest in relation to the table.
    u3tzb3c4wnsy.jpg

• Farback
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @Farback: "Yikes!" to the 18-wheeler mess! I hope there were no serious injuries. We're in weather kinda like that right now, too (mid-palm in Michigan's mitten).

And I'm puzzled: Why does the urethane varnish have a name that makes it sound like aftershave?

I think it's a nautical thing. This stuff is used on wooden boats for it's water resistant properties.

• Farback
    edited December 2016
    Options
    4 hours, total 63. After four fire calls in 24 hours and a couple of two hour sleeps, I got back to the shop this afternoon. Installed end pieces, and clamped them up, filled a couple open joints with light oak wood fill and sanded that down, sanded most of top to 220, set up and tested for router cuts.

My wife texted that the shopping was hellish. I assured her I was in my happy place. This tool is the cutter for the biscuits by the way.
    dedicuuakvez.png

End piece fitted with biscuit joints.
    zxfcnj79h6ds.png

The stained area is a test to make sure the wood filler wouldn't show up as a discolouration.
    mkdi20roanx1.png
    jhpw8bpaw2bu.png

Sanded and clamped. As I tell that woman who cashes my cheques (who IS that person?) you just can't have too many clamps.
    vytfv9eawsgy.png

Here's why it's a good idea to test an operation with a test piece. The roller bearing on my half-round 3/4 inch router bit was seized, and instead of guiding the cut burned the wood.
    m7031hmtcsn9.png
    nlsa8e9rekrm.png

Swapped the bearing with one from another bit and this test looks good.
    gx3f3wxeuujr.png

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    Options
    I've never had a bearing seize on my router. That's a good warning for me.
  • Farback
    Options
    Been at it since 07:30, till noon, but several drying time intervals in between tasks. 3 hours work, 66 total so far. Removed end piece clamps, wood-filled gaps, dry time, sand at 120 then 220 on ends, routered edge radius, sand again, pre-stain conditioner, dry time, finally first stain coat.

It's a common misconception that all Canadians use marijuana. I don't, but check out this joint.
    ivgi9cxaxcrw.png

Today's finishes.
    b4rxza8sdodz.png
    tgu62hizn9j9.png

Results
    818ub4mz9p71.png
    3aesfswnthic.png
    457ipf93ni6b.png

Might get a second stain coat on tonight. We're off to my brother's for a surprise birthday party for my 84 year old mother. She was born Christmas day, so we try to do something special for her.

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Looking very impressive. I love wood items and consider pieces like this just beyond special!
  • Farback
    Options
    Got a second coat of stain on before bedtime.
    aw7dflkcd39d.png
  • Farback
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Up at 05:30 putting first coat of urethane on. Tonight will do a light sanding at 320 grit for grip for the next coat, the crest goes on, then the second coat of urethane. Likely do a third coat after that tomorrow.

eiodn12xa47u.jpg
    2.JPG 1.6M
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    Options
    How fine do you finish up? 320 seems pretty course but I'm used to 3200 grit and finer for clearing plastics.

At what layer will you add the emblem?
  • Farback
    Options
    The minwax recommends a light sanding at 320 between coats. I'm going to add a third coat tomorrow, and if not happy with the depth and gloss at that point I might do an epoxy layer. Crest went on tonight between urethane coats 1 and 2.

2 hours, 68 total so far.

ubelivh6srzv.png
    gh6kk4zxyeys.png
    cax0mk6nzzqn.png
    5dcascocekyj.png
    vqpd9dhzy4bk.png
    zkm66gr6al8t.png
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Amazing work. Since it is going to a fire house wouldn't an epoxy layer add extra protection to the emblem?
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks HappyTrails7. Yes, it would make it tougher. I'll have to add a varnish layer on top of that for UV protection, but I think I'll go that route tonight, epoxy then a final varnish top coat tomorrow. It's due to go to the fire hall Friday night, so time's tight for these last layers to dry up hard. My full time job is getting in the way.