Projects to keep me off the streets - Fire Department Table, Kayak

Options

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Got some work done on the boat today, and got my build log going on my new version of my website which should go live tomorrow. I'll forward a link to this boat build once it's hot if anyone wants to follow the progress there.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    OMG, I thought the table was amazing (and it is)...but it's a shadow of the awesomeness that is the kayak. WOW!
  • Farback
    Options
    5shd6biobq3q.png
    This is the skeg (retractable rudder) assembly. the control box mounts flush on the deck behind the cockpit. The slider extends and retracts the rudder.
  • Farback
    Options
    Intalled the skeg assebly in the hull.
    b6lxz2fr06mg.png

Epoxied the parts for the skeg control box which will be mounted to my left aft of the cockpit as shown below. 'Aft'. that's a term us nautical types use, along with 'Yarrr!', 'Avast!' and 'I didna ken she was your wife!'.
    87jm02znqchn.png

full details at
    farback.ca/index.php/kayak-five-das-boot-current-build-being-completed
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »

Epoxied the parts for the skeg control box which will be mounted to my left aft of the cockpit as shown below. 'Aft'. that's a term us nautical types use, along with 'Yarrr!', 'Avast!' and 'I didna ken she was your wife!'.

"Left"??!??! ;)
  • Farback
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

"Left"??!??! ;)

You're right! Thanks for catching that.
  • Farback
    Options
    Four hours of finiky boat building work. Details at farback.ca/index.php/kayak-five-das-boot-current-build-being-completed

Working with epoxy, got to take precautions.
    y4mdnga3hblx.jpg
    c6iorathgxod.png
  • Farback
    Options
    31DEC16

Lots of small detail work again, and waiting for epoxy cures makes for slow going at this stage.

CF clamp set-up from last night.
    iy45lcyqz1hm.png

Cut to size, replenish stock.
    uzl7fiv8ydgx.png

One to guide skeg cable into control box.
    r96y73rjyak7.png

Two to guide skeg cable away from cargo area.
    6fjpzurb3aq4.png

Hip plates, trimmed, epoxied again with graphite to colour, drying before installation tomorrow.
    nusdcbnxsvrk.png

Skeg control from deck topside. Little cleaning up to do here when deck accessible again.
    sjslyrmd0e54.png

Hip plates last interior task, then deck and hull joining starts Monday.
    hrjjk5ro7c1e.png

• Farback
    Options
    Gym time and family dinner today, only a couple short periods in the shop. Got the hip plates installed, and poured end-fills to give structure for bow and stern carry lines.

efhv76a7qwd9.png

k5cipb08lzw3.png

992wvydrvgd4.png

First batch was too soupy and started oozing out the tape on one side. Had a dutch boy thing going on for a while.
    jbdweidheta9.png

The two mixes are cooking off now. Several cubic inches of epoxy while curing is too hot to touch. Waiting it out for safety's sake.
  • Farback
    Options
    2JAN17

Joining deck to hull finally. Fitted stems at ends, Lined up top and bottom, compressed and taped seams on outside. Did deck fitting part of skeg controls. Need to let this dry before finalizing. Next step is the much despised inside 'taping' of the seam with glass and resin. Cramped messy task.

kzl2afp7cstw.png
    lvxi3l6awka3.png
    0qbmiyy6hp1y.png

Now that the two halves are ready to mate, the last steps of the rudder control can be made. The cable will pass through the box and extend into the section of cable cover on the other side, shown in the next picture.

vsw500bcdkbz.png
    2nvqcxl22yc6.png

"Due North Mr. Sawfish!"
    f5ckk4qxtuvx.png

"Aye, Captain"
    q5mvyjt8k3bt.png

Taped, compressed, aligned edges and ready for inside seam taping with glass and epoxy.
    lb1eqrepqqoc.png

Seventeen feet of lean, mean, ocean going machine.
    qba5mslmdc24.png

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Gonna be lovely - nice lines, looks efficient. Out of curiosity, what's width at widest point, and where is that on the boat (hard to tell the exact shape in the end-on photos)?
  • Farback
    Options

Max beam is 21.9" at the 9' mark measured from the front. See the cut line in the software capture below.

2xvtqftg1vei.png

Very stable with not too much trade off in drag for stability. Made for kayak camping with decent cargo capacity.
    g16h8bna4t43.png
    2qo5frltd1gd.png

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Very nice!

Das boot looks like it will travel very nicely - thanks for sharing the tech specs! :)

I tend to like long-ish, skinny boats for efficiency's sake . . . some people think this is because I want to go fast. It's not; it's that I'm lazy. ;) (Yes, I know that each boat design tends to have its own efficient speed . . . except for the ones that have no efficient speed whatsoever, of course. ;) ). I've done mostly flatwater paddling, and a little light whitewater, though, and in open boats - not so much in sea kayak environs - so tend to think of stability in a different way, perhaps, than sea kayakers need to do.

Beautiful craft - I'm following your progress with interest.

• Farback
    Options
    3JAN17

Getting set up for the inside seam taping (glass and epoxy). In order to place the strip of material accurately, I need to see what I'm doing. The ends are difficult since my fat head won't fit through the hatches. I'm a security guy, so I have access to cameras and tech. I've set up a cheap CCTV camera to give me a view of the inside, and logged into that camera's IP on my phone.
    fqdo3ncsb18n.png

hatch
    7kwj1sibmnh3.png

camera
    3nzk8f3s7da3.png

image on cell phone
    dtklaub182ot.png

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    Options
    dtklaub182ot.png

More power, Scotty!! We're getting sucked into the wormhole!!

But Cap'n... Readings show stress-cracks on the dilithium crystals... I dunnot know howmuch more she can take...
  • Farback
    Options
    When i was a Captain in the FD I had a driver named Scott. Since I was Captain Kirk we had good times.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    Options
    When i was a Captain in the FD I had a driver named Scott. Since I was Captain Kirk we had good times.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.co%2Fimages%2F9a32ee6fe584e748b07410e678bf6890%2Ftenor.gif&f=1
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Loving the Star Trek references - You guys make me smile :smiley:

Kayak's looking great too! ;)
  • Farback
    Options
    Olive, one of my new granddaughters, is being raised right, despite the fact her Dad and brother are Star Wars geeks.

3pd1kgohe3lw.jpg