Options
    Not sure if you've seen this one...

https://youtu.be/gd5yB9Vmd6I
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TAPING THE STARBOARD INSIDE SEAM
    One side done, but this is the part of the job that makes Bishops kick out stained glass windows. It went well though. Let this side set up, then tomorrow flip it over onto other side to do port side inside seam.

Bias cut strips of fibreglass, rolled up and soaked in epoxy then rolled out along inside seam with a brush on a stick.
    lwv580vvopno.png

aft
    0qmevlfim5v6.png

forward
    8dumg6xp9jcb.png

The camera worked well, but it's kind of like being an elephant gynecologist.
    t4baekwif99o.png
  • Farback
    Options
    Got port side seam done tonight. Thankful this is over. Both the boat and I are well epoxied.
    9cxy482bk86h.png
    32dvtjl9p3md.png
    8fin055z5g2n.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    So long as you're not expoxied into the boat, I think there's hope. ;)
  • Farback
    edited January 2017
    Options

farback.ca/index.php/kayak-five-das-boot-current-build-being-completed

6JAN17

Lots of sanding, and a bit of leveling with the spoke shave, and the outside hull is ready to go. Tomorrow a bit of sanding dust and epoxy mix to fill in some gaps, then outside fiberglass tape seam. It's carefully masked up, and when the outside glass gets to the 'plastic' stage I'll cut at the tape lines and remove the tape to get a clean edge. This edge will be sanded in to disappear, then entire outside gets light sanding, touch-ups and a final layer of epoxy.

noqfupts4xtt.png
    fn71sdk99dk9.png
    lqd6ny0ikejv.png
    yxgqee3k4111.png
    y15zv6pzxvhx.png
    mjnkk6tfq4lr.png

Making sure I don't get epoxy into the fittings for the deck lines.
    q8cr4me2jjp5.png
    ph1udvyafanr.png

If I was a 20 year old knob with a front wheel drive 4 cylinder rice burner with an air foil, I could just call these race stripes.
    xxclf0b1od4v.png
    ecxadmxfrbls.png

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Table and Kayak look great!
  • Farback
    edited January 2017
    Options
    farback.ca/index.php/kayak-five-das-boot-current-build-being-completed

7JAN17

Taped the seams this morning with continuous 18' x 2" strips of fiberglass. Rolling these up was NOT a good idea, loose threads snagged up as it unrolled, making it one hell of a task. Fiberglass and epoxy is like a mean dog, it can smell fear so you just got to carry on.
    7os63ka0e745.png

I went to the gym, ran errands etc. while this set up for a few hours so I could cut a clean edge and remove the tape.
    452lwa9mmci6.png

I made the interior bulkheads out of minicell foam. These are cut to fit tightly at form stations 6 and 11, forward of the foot braces, and aft of the cockpit.

uw4f38bv00yw.png
    5lz0zb7brwvt.png
    Fitted and placed the aft bulkhead.
    gjd3whctmd5v.png

Sanded, trimmed up and epoxy coat to clean up cockpit and coaming rim.
    8g7szxnoqx4w.png
    aq6tnckozsvy.png

Next on to sanding, last epoxy layer, fit and finish on end stems, then varnish coats begin.
    qjvpncx8q106.png

• Farback
    Options
    8JAN17

Sanding and epoxy work today. Cleaned up drops of epoxy on the deck, masked the edge, then turned over to work on the hull, Sanded and final coat of epoxy for the hull. Can't progress any more today till this cures up.

Before sanding and final epoxy layer.
    somvg9rgt67m.png

Got this Jason Bourne look alike to sand the hull to 320.
    pd7mmfovx830.png

Results after a couple hours work.
    bdbs7bvhaowq.png
    1p3xj4xk9cjq.png

• Farback
    Options
    Later, that same day...

hung up to let bottom cure but allow deck access to remove masking tape.
    j54qg4jp8rzz.png

A wee slip with the exacto knife leads to a visit to the boat shop medical clinic. No time to bleed, work to be done.
    bqc14zfl9jrw.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress, beautiful boat! Good timing on the exacto cut, too - much easier to get blood off the project when you're past the raw wood stage. ;) (Hope it wasn't major!)

(One of my best hobbies ever was stained glass; so many wonderful opportunities, especially for an indoor, at-home hobby: The cuts from razor-edge glass-breaks cut painlessly but deeply, so you've bled all over creation before you notice; the fresh wounds invariably come in contact with lead; and you get to breathe lead-solder fumes on top of that. Hard to beat that with most hobbies you do sitting on a chair. ;) ).

The 'yak is looking great!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,133 Member
    Options
    I've yet to do a major project where I don't end up with some kind of minor injury. Bleeding during surface prep isn't a good thing though. Hopefully, you didn't get any gack into the incision?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself.
  • Farback
    Options
    All good. Deep cut, but didn't feel it needed a stitch. Bled like a pig because of the damn heart drugs. It is good the wood is sealed now, it can make a real mess. Cleaned it up and it looks fine today.
  • Farback
    Options
    9JAN17

Hours of sanding. Cleaned up drips on deck from hull epoxy job, then sanded entire deck to 220 to prep for final epoxy coat to deck. Had a fire call in the middle of this, and was away for an hour driving a big red truck to a chimney fire. Masked hull completely to prevent drips, and it's ready to epoxy the deck. It's late here, so tomorrow night for that.

Deck sanded to 220.
    51yl3elpaour.png

Deck sanded to 220.
    qsp0i7we3yap.png

complete masking of hull
    "Where's the stuff from my baking drawer?" she says. "I don't know, I'm a firefighter, not a detective."
    gxb3wum9icwi.png

complete masking of hull
    orsm1dxyb8k6.png

Ready to epoxy deck.
    067vcxem3mc0.png

Cut from last night opened up twice, once while working on the boat and while driving the firetruck. One of our paramedic members fixed me up with some steri-strips. Finally got the hull breach sealed up good.
    snag3zswhorv.png
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Cool progress. :mrgreen:

'Sending wishes for happy healing. <3
  • Farback
    Options

11JAN17
    Spent a couple hours on small details while the epoxy coats harden up.
    Installed the CF clips that will retain the two lengths of small diameter bungee to hold the seatback to the upper and lower deck just forward of the rear bulkhead. Four of these, two above and two below. Drilled the bow and stern with a 5/8" hole for the plastic pipe liners for the carry handles. These holes are through the areas where the thickened epoxy was poured earlier. Sanded and touched up bow and stern stems and new through-holes for handles, epoxied.

Up at 05:30 to remove tape and plastic from hull before epoxy got set too much.
    cl161x541tum.png

Magical stuff to hold components in place (CF clips, handle inserts) followed up by epoxy.
    3ac6kgyw03f2.png

One of the four CF clips for the seatback bungees.
    4owt1hx66fxq.png

Front and rear rope carry handle holes.
    ngqroywr4mh9.png
    5fmtrwahpdm6.png

Ready for varnish soon.
    y1ms24akb6pc.png
    go76qldyrxzh.png

• RodaRose
    Options
    You know I think I have never seen a kayak in real life. We did some canoeing as kids.
    From what I gather, your kayak is essentially complete. What happens next?
  • Farback
    Options
    Several Finish coats of varnish for uv protection of the epoxy, fit forward bulkhead and seat, rig deck lines and bungee lines, wait impatiently for spring
  • Farback
    Options
    12JAN17
    Short shift in the boat shop.
    Couple hours work installing forward bulkhead and rigging seat back, prepping hanging system for varnish process. Ropes rigged so all external surfaces accessible.

Hanging system for being able to varnish without cradles in the way.
    kgzboeooa0hd.png

The advantage of being a rope rescue tech is knowing lots of tricks with rope.
    ci257ec22n49.png

Shaping forward bulkhead with automotive surfacer. Tapered fit.
    oljhi1bn0c78.png

Forward bulkhead in place.
    afetjaor6h0b.png

Rigged connections for seat back. Seat will be set permanently later when I can actually fit test the position.
    bi3pp1flozim.png

Adapted rigging to attach to the hip plates.
    lcx1ysnf9d5c.png

Light bungee cords (through last nights CF clips) tension the seat back from the bottom and top
    aichndoa12a3.png

The ancient mariner will go here once the water stops being solid.
    y1z2agm6r6jp.png