Projects to keep me off the streets - Fire Department Table, Kayak

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Amazing craft @Farback !! Look forward to seeing pictures of her in the water! She's a beauty!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    $&*#^ solid water, anyway. I don't mind winter, except for heating bills and crunchy rivers.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    13JAN17
    Several hours work, final (did I say final) sanding of complete exterior before first of three varnish coats.

Sanded, then washed, let dry, final rub down with tack cloth before varnishing.
    tcwofsc18oqz.png

Varnishing is tricky business. You need to apply lightly, don't let it drip or drool, and keep moving before the 'wet edge' starts to dry up. I use the method explained by the guru of boat building, Nick Schlade.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/blog/admin/getting_smooth_dripfree_varnish_finish

first varnish coat
    l2vbaziln55h.png

first varnish coat
     cuu0mhsz0ukd.png

my trusty Dewalt ROS is starting to fail. It has hundreds of hours on it now.
    rpu67c0z8wil.png

All the other boys have one of these. They're making fun of me on the kayak builder discussion boards.
    I'm sure SWMBO would want me to have one of these.
    80yu9ooq5yfa.png
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,133 Member
    Options
    I have the same DeWalt random orbital sander...

Your kayak is looking smooth and slick... wonderful!!
  • Farback
    Options
    14JAN17
    Couple hours planning and designing another project, and a hour or so on the boat prepping and applying the second varnish coat.

Prep surface with scotch-bright pad for grip and tack cloth clean
    voem1uyqab2l.png

Filtered varnish and 4" foam brush
    4lypfxo3fnjc.png

Second varnish coat applied.
    e5pnoxf1isze.png

The finish is much deeper than the guy who built the boat.
    pcrfkjid8hxd.png
    iqtpgu31dedt.png

One more varnish coat to go, the deck lines and seat install and this project will be wrapped up. So... for my next trick I'm building SWMBO two bedroom end tables. We've just had hardwood floor installed, and the painters and cabinet guy for the new wall to wall closet module happen in the next few weeks. SWMBO considered buying these,
    u120rcatvyfj.jpg
    but they're just press board crap at $200 each. I can make them from oak at 1/4 of the cost, I have a supply of rough-cut I can mill to size, and the pine for the drawer boxes and hardware won't cost much. This has the additional benefit of keeping me away from the main floor where the civilized folks what isn't covered in sawdust mill about.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    That table shows some pride in your craft, and is a great project. The kayak is completely awesome!

Though I haven't really done a lot of it, I enjoy working with wood. For a period I did boat/yacht work including some work on white boats. I always enjoyed learning from the real wood working masters in the trade. But I've also worked a decent bit in automotive and other finishing, so what I lacked in the woodworking skills to build certain things I could somewhat overcome in the finishing.

Even on the large yachts, it becomes very apparent how few straight lines exist in any type of boat. I'm sure on that kayak they really don't even exist at all!
  • Farback
    Options
    The only straight line for this baby will be straight to Kejimkujic National Park for a solo week in the back country the week I retire in June.
  • Farback
    Options
    15JAN17
    Third and final coat of varnish applied.
    nqgvtu8qkysi.png

The view from the cockpit.
    s340cm7pitr9.png

Three coats of varnish makes a nice deep finish.
    f75hgvcyb8o1.png

Full speed ahead Mr. Sawfish!
    yvr1x43qxn4t.png

Six different woods in this boat.
     n2ezw6iev71t.png

Eastern White Cedar
    Western Red Cedar
    Basswood
    Walnut
    Purpleheart
    Ebony

• UncleMac
    Options
    Have you done your final weigh-in yet? What do you figure it will be?
  • b3achy
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Have you done your final weigh-in yet? What do you figure it will be?

Great question...I was wondering the same thing!
  • Farback
    Options
    I haven't weighed it yet, but I'm thinking about 35 pounds. I'll do a weigh in after the rigging and seat install.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Not that I'm any kind of expert on kayaks but that seems fairly light.
  • Farback
    Options
    The cedar makes up most of the shell, and it is very light. The end weight depends a lot on how much epoxy gets added.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Pure awesomeness!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Not that I'm any kind of expert on kayaks but that seems fairly light.

Those cedar strip boats, when well made as Farback's is, can combine amazing lightness with excellent performance characteristics (you can build a sophisticated hull design). And that's ignoring their beauty, which we're witnessing here.

I don't know whether you're a small-boats person in general, UncleMac. In case not, as a couple of reference points, my 15'6" commercial kayak (i.e. couple feet shorter than Farback's) weighs around 41 pounds in Kevlar (among the lighter common commercial materials). Single racing shell for rowing, at 26' (but only around 12" wide at the waterline) runs about 31 pounds including metal riggers, because of competition limits (composite materials typically - mine is - though some are wood). My lightest canoe at 16'6 (an outdated racing model, so stripped-down & not super-strong) is 25 pounds (no deck makes a huge weight difference).

Well-made wood boats are kind of the cream of wonderfulness in a lot of ways. This one we're seeing here is a beauty! (I'm drooling - can you tell? ;) )
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I grew up on the water, @AnnPT77, as my father was a commercial fisherman. Plenty of time in a canoe and small sailboats but I've never sat in a kayak... but I left the east coast at age 17 when I went to college and I've not really been much involved with boating since then.

So +30 years ago, the canoes were heavy enough, it normally took two people to portage them. They were made of fibreglass rather than kevlar. I've seen wooden ones but never sat in one. I have a few friends over the years who kayaked but I've never pursued the opportunity.

Over the years, I've struggled with work/recreation balance... rather heavily on the work side (literally heavy!). Although I'm doing better now, it's still a struggle.
  • Farback
    Options
    16JAN17

Deck lines, bungee webs fore and aft of cockpit, bungee paddle retainer at bow, carry handles fore and aft.

I'll let it hang for a couple days to cure the varnish before the final step, setting it down and getting the seat placement right and secured.

zs8gpucq1pbr.png
    pfzngwt9g4k5.png
    pqu435tw35s8.png
    gk8zx9825r51.png
    8igb71j79sj0.png
    bc5y4yolg03n.png
    0mvduulrj2a9.png
    osexjqzk5ieu.png
    aa8zfidj290e.png
    sh5g40iz1att.png
    ocpy46crmh56.png
  • Farback
    Options
    Final weigh-in 37.8 pounds. Very pleased.
  • b3achy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Final weigh-in 37.8 pounds. Very pleased.

Wow, that's amazing light for a craft that size! I'm now even more impressed!

BTW, my heaviest paddleboard is about 35 pounds (at 12'6"), my lightest is a 'heavy' 24 pounds (really wanted it under 20 lbs since it's my race board, but I bought it for the advanced design and stability).

Oh, and nice Werner paddle :)