Projects to keep me off the streets - Fire Department Table, Kayak

Options

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks B3. I was worried it might be over 40, but it's going to be an easy portage. Love that paddle.

6kzzjpgucomh.jpg

w9agk75bhc2z.jpg

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Final weigh-in 37.8 pounds. Very pleased.

Excellent - nice sanding! ;) And a beauty besides, with those lovely lines and your careful craftsmanship - definitely a boat to be proud to paddle!
  • Farback
    Options
    16JAN17

Last bit of assembly tonight. Located position for CF seat, mixed up a thickened batch of graphite coloured epoxy and glued it in place. Tomorrow I'll wrap it up to protect it from dust and hang it up in the shop to wait for spring. I started this boat five years ago, but had a two year hiatus while I worked two jobs (regular and Fire Chief, had a heart attack, dropped back to one job and recovered fully). This boat has been a pleasure to build, and I'm looking forward to many hours on the water. I'll post some pictures on it's first cruise then.

On to the next project!

office chair transporter
    3b55po8ee1x6.jpg
    2lm21aceu9to.jpg

Seat installed.
    9bmmeelswmcf.jpg

Completed build.
    yp8gjhfytc8z.jpg

In the spring, it will escape through this window. It's too long to make the turn in the room for the big doors.
    oekgbis53382.jpg
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It is really lovely. Now for the river to melt and to be able to play in it. :)
  • Farback
    Options
    18JAN17

Wrapped the boat up to protect it from dust and secured it at roof level in the shop. Half a dozen large leaf bags with the ends cut out worked nicely. Spring is a couple months away sadly.

Incidentally, some advice for my fellow boat builders; don't go to the Pharmasave and ask for an 18 foot condom. They were very unhelpful, and I thought unnecessarily cruel.

k6h02rijuab4.png
    klm2oq0gvg36.png
    9fb9yj91z9e3.png

• Farback
    Options
    New toy for the shop
    eu47dmn6r1iu.jpg
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,133 Member
    Options
    Sliding 14" compound mitre saw... Does it have the laser guide?
  • Farback
    Options
    Yeah, haven't figured it out yet. Rush project to do all window, door trim and baseboard in master bedroom before painters arrive Monday
  • Farback
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Sliding 14" compound mitre saw... Does it have the laser guide?

5c41e9vi8tro.png

No laser, bright LED that shoots the blade shadow onto the work. Slick. Very happy with this addition to Buhka's Buddhist Boat Shop. (Buhka is what I've been called since the first grandson started calling me that)
    cut.png 692.8K
  • Farback
    Options
    Current project is two end tables for the bedroom. A project commissioned by wifey.

drvxfwbcxmz5.jpg
    eirxa9d3ow6m.jpg
    bh4za5nogpm5.jpg

This is the router bit that got ejected from my table mounted router, passed my forehead close enough to feel the wind of it flying, and hid overnight only to be found this morning clear across the shop. Checked the collet this morning, still wrench tight. Half an inch closer my chances for Hollywood be dashed.

ddp7pircndep.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    That would have made a mess of your face. And the collet was still tight? Wow...
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    End tables are looking great. BTW, they would also look awesome in my home with the light wood...just saying...

Glad you found that bit. Was sort of hoping to see it was embedded in the wall or something much more dramatic considering it put a hit out on you. :/
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love to see your work...not many such skilled craftsman any more.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    I love to see your work...not many such skilled craftsman any more.

Agreed. Most people are lucky if they can figure out the instructions from IKEA...
  • Farback
    Options
    Thank you. It's a labor of love. Even when the tools try to kill me.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Hey now, I do my Ikea stuff just fine. I do love watching Farback's progress though.
  • Farback
    Options
    Completed primer coat on bases, couple coats of satin finish on tops. SWMBO will do the paint coats on the bases.
    ol8lexgjzg94.jpg
    qby2smgh0ux6.jpg
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I sell furniture for a living & those bedsides are looking good :)
  • Farback
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What is that idiot up to now?

Finishing up on the night tables. The customer, who I've married, wants one more coat of white on the bases then final assembly, tops and pulls.

Started today on a Greenland paddle for the kayak. It will be a laminate of chestnut, ash and cherry.

Lots of clamps needed for this sort of thing. Actually, when I first met my wife I thought she said she had clamps. I thought, this is the woman for me! Turns out she said cramps, but I loves her anyway.

pe12q8kc5m4s.jpg

Pieces cut for the blank.
    nsjjdbm66qz6.jpg

First epoxy glueup to make the pairs of chestnut into 1 1/2 width pieces.
    fwmirdv4rzzx.jpg