Projects to keep me off the streets - Fire Department Table, Kayak

Options

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Got three hours in after work today. Legs glued up nicely. Trimmed the oak dowels flush then ran the legs through the planer to get the faces flush. Ran the feet and leg edges on the router table to round over the edges.

yfgknxcvkpcx.png
    cm00brcst8im.png
    g7rcmq7qyia5.png

Made two fitting pieces of apron board about a foot long, cut the chamfer and hand planed the edges where they seat into the legs. Much work with chisels to fine tune the fit and all four legs are ready for the apron boards.

Joinery. Indecernable from witchcraft.

n25yyt2msc4h.png
    faovi0iqcwy6.png
    s7irfwd58uvm.png
    uuwu4pnss8uk.png
  • Farback
    Options
    Another three hours progress tonight with a fire department meeting in the middle. The legs are ready to go minus final top coat. Sanded 120 and 220 grit, drilled holes for the apron rail dowel connections. Stain coat of Minwax 210B (Golden Oak). Top coat to come will be Minwax Polyurathane.

Tomorrow is fabrication and fitting apron rails.

r5nobxnu6f7e.png

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the photos to help us appreciate how the work comes together. :star:
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Joinery. Indecernable from witchcraft.

One of my favorite quotes from you @Farback! The pictures look amazing, and it is clear you are a quality craftsman!! That is going to be a table they will have for generations with many stories, epic tales, and legends told around it.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    That's gonna be one beautiful table!
  • Farback
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm really enjoying this project. I'm looking forward to retiring in June and having more workshop and grandkid time.
  • Farback
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Four hours tonight, brings the hours total up to 22 so far. Got the apron rails cut and fitted, equidistant and squared. Cut two cross members and four corner braces. I should sand and stain these, but it's 8PM here. Job for tomorrow I guess. Starting to get a feel for the sheer size of this thing. The top will overhang by 3" on all sides of the frame. Ought to fit a lunch or two.

Time for a black rum. Yarrr!

w1if5jslcvic.png

27i1v8g0ys5i.jpg

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Four hours tonight, brings the hours total up to 22 so far. Got the apron rails cut and fitted, equidistant and squared. Cut two cross members and four corner braces. I should sand and stain these, but it's 8PM here. Job for tomorrow I guess. Starting to get a feel for the sheer size of this thing. The top will overhang by 3" on all sides of the frame. Ought to fit a lunch or two.

Time for a black rum. Yarrr!

w1if5jslcvic.png

27i1v8g0ys5i.jpg

https://youtu.be/fudwJZhiYxk
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    It's gonna fit through the shop door, right? ;)
  • Farback
    Options
    Got a whole inch to spare. Loads of room.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    That made me think of the boat in Gibbs' basement and how he got it out of there...
  • Farback
    Options
    I've made kayaks and lawn chairs that have required some cogitating on getting them out of here. I always wondered how Gibbs did it. I've always followed Gibbs rule #9, Never go anywhere without a knife. I always carry my emergency services knife. I travel in off-road places, and if I need to cut a seat belt at a scene, or convince a coyote my bike and are a not a tasty treat, I have the tool for the job.

Three hours work tonight, running count 25. Removed, sanded, fitted, glued and doweled in apron rails, and started on corner braces.

n7ntf9gluruf.png
    u4op7qa1j50y.png

So far, this whole project doesn't have a single metal fastener in it, all hardwood dowels. My intention is to use no metal. Kind of a purist old style thing.

hftb9dpdml3m.png
    79tyz7lse5wz.png

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Looking good :)
  • Farback
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Full day's work, 8 hours. Completed base, second stain coat on legs, single stain coat on apron rails and cross and corner braces. Started joiner work on edge of top boards which were previously thickness planed. Soon became apparent this 'dimensioned lumber' varied in width up to 1/4 inch over the 10 foot lengths. Had to rip it all to uniform width. Tomorrow a couple edge joiner passes for each piece, then start biscuit joinery to assemble the top.

As Forest Gump might have said, "Some days there aren't enough clamps."

6h4e3cgc321k.png

y6lxo9i1uvn2.png
    k0cy0929k72g.png
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,148 Member
    Options

The joy of having a dirty mind... LOL

On a slightly more serious note, I once built a doghouse and discovered after the fact that my doorway wasn't quite as wide as I guesstimated. I trimmed the eaves of the doghouse to squeak through...
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @Farback: *So* be-yoo-tee-full. If FD decides they don't want it, you can give it to me. But one of your kayaks would be an acceptable substitute. (JK: But such nice work!)
  • Farback
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

The joy of having a dirty mind... LOL

On a slightly more serious note, I once built a doghouse and discovered after the fact that my doorway wasn't quite as wide as I guesstimated. I trimmed the eaves of the doghouse to squeak through...

If I had inches to spare I wouldn't be worrying about carpentry skills.
  • Farback
    Options
    Another 7 hours today, 40 so far. Working on top planks. Had to use two I'd set aside for under thickness, so had to plane the whole lot down to 7/8", then a lot of edge joiner runs to get uniform edges. Got all 8 planks looking good for edge matching, the cut down rough ends to end up with 117 1/2 length. cap ends will go on later. Lots of cuts with the biscuit joiner, then dry assembly and clamped down and compressed for the night dry with biscuits in place. Glue up tomorrow if I have time. Big party for my 10 year old grandson and his nanny.

1b3xy0pvcn80.png

Good to have the larger layout tools for something this size.
    nlqoylpqszn8.png

No Christmas cookies, but I do have 70 biscuits.
    spbutyvjspfq.png

Dry assembly with biscuits, and dry clamped for the night.
    mb398s8w3vj8.png
    oz5f7jfi6efs.png

Time for a meal, since I sort of neglected to eat all day, and a black rum for me parrot and I.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    More beautiful at each step!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    That is going to be one amazingly awesome table! Love watching the progress! Thanks for sharing!