2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,644 Member
    My mother was a music teacher who gave piano lessons. I took piano lessons from her until she decided I needed to "move up" to someone else. In addition, I played the organ at church, flute in the concert band, piccolo in the marching band, alto sax in the dance band and guitar in a folk group. Also sang in both the church and school choirs and went to state choir every year. At church I often sang tenor when we needed one! My singing voice died as a result of teaching although I guess I'm lucky I can talk. I had an elderly aunt who had similar voice issues from teaching (some genetics there). She could only whisper the last 20 years of her life. Why I let all the other music disappear from my life for the most part is something I don't have a good answer for. It's one of my few regrets. I have several colleagues who do something with music in their spare time and it just highlights what I let disappear from my life.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,826 Member
    It's probably not to late to pick up where you left off with the instrumental music. I envy people who can play piano. Get a small keyboard and I'll bet with practice, your ability will come baqck...muscle memory. It would be a nice relaxing hobby.
  • mdubbs1
    We had a HUGE crowd at the flea market so I guess having it Easter weekend wasn't a bad move on the ag center's part. I haven't touched the cash box yet so I don't know how much we made.

Today I have to count out all the parts of the next mailing into boxes for volunteers to pick up. I'm taking Jack to the vet tomorrow (regular visit) and it suddenly hit me I'd be crazy not to drop off the newsletter at the same time. Which means it needs to be done today.
  • mdubbs1
    Happy Easter everyone!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Happy Easter, everyone! It was a rainy day here, so I spent the day doing laundry and other fun chores. I've spent the weekend catching up on work not done at home because of working all those school days.

Maryanne--It sounds as if you are working on Easter also.

Has anyone ever ordered from Omaha Steaks? I have a free shipping offer from them.
  • mdubbs1
    Yes, I worked yesterday.

I love Omaha Steaks. I've ordered it for us. One of the CROM volunteers loves it so I get her a gift card every Christmas. Also ordered for my dad. I get filet mignon for DH and top sirloin for me. Also stuffed sole fillets (you don't even have to thaw those), salmon fillets, boneless pork chops. I like that they have cooking instructions on the box.
  • KonaKat
    Ma
    ryanne--Thanks for the feedback. I think I will break over and try them. I had one of those nights in which I couldn't sleep. I finally gave up and got up and watched TV for a couple of hours and then tried the bed again. I was in great shape to work today but I managed.
  • mdubbs1
    DH had an emergency dental appointment this morning for a chipped tooth. As a result he wanted to delay dinner. No problem. Then suddenly he wanted to un-delay it (is that a word?) which was impossible. I think he thinks dinner comes out of a Star Trek like device on demand. LOL!

I fed the colonies this morning and then buckled down to work! No excitement.

Jean - I got a big sale packet from Omaha Steaks today. They come frequently now that I've ordered a bunch of times. I guess they like to keep themselves in my consciousness.

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,934 Member
    I've been getting ready to head down to Houston for the weekend. We are leaving on Thursday. My nephew who lives in France is here to cheer on his wife as she competes in the Ironman Triathlon on Saturday. We've signed up to volunteer for one shift on the race course. I'm hoping it doesn't rain, but that is in the forecast at this point. I personally think anyone who competes in these races should have their head examined, but I'll keep my opinion to myself and cheer her on, lol!

I've also been trying to keep up with my PT exercises for my back. I have another appointment tomorrow where he will probably give me some additional exercises. I can't tell if it's helping yet, but I don't think it's doing any harm so I'll keep it up for now. I'd rather not progress,to injections and that is the next step if this doesn't help enough.

We will get back from Houston on Monday, then it will be a busy week getting ready to leave for my niece's wedding. I have a dental appointment, a hair appointment, and a volunteer luncheon next week and I need to find time for a manicure and pedicure before I leave as well, so it will be a busy week. Somewhere in there I need to figure out what clothes to take as well. I know what I'm wearing for the wedding and rehearsal dinner, but nothing more is worked,out at this point. We will be spending some time with friends and family on the way up and back and I have no idea what they have planned.

I heard from my favorite cousin who lives in NC now last week. He had a serious health scare and was asking for prayers for it. In the end it turned out OK, but could have been very bad had he not gotten treatment when he did. He had a small lesion that appeared fairly quickly on his face which turned out to be a very rare and deadly type of skin cancer. Luckily, he was able to get into the right doctors in record time and yesterday he called to tell me that they had removed all of it and the lymph node biopsy came out clear. He says he has a bad scar and may still have some radiation treatments but overall, he is feeling very fortunate. We will be staying with them for a couple of days on our way home, so I guess we can compare scars!

That's the highlights of what's been going on with me. Talk to you all later.
  • KonaKat
    edited April 2017
    Maryanne--I haven't gotten around to ordering from Omaha Steaks. I've been working every day and just keep forgetting to do it. I also forgot about the NS certificate sale at Costco.

Pam--Your cousin is so fortunate that he was able to get to the right doctors in time and that the lymph nodes appear to be clear. You have a busy schedule ahead.

It just dawned upon me that we are a month into the second quarter. I guess we don't need to divide this into quarterly challenges. I went back and deleted "First Quarter" from the thread title.
  • Helene610
    Pam. How fortunate that your cousin got such prompt and good treatment for the skin lesions. Some people wait, expecting something like that to clear itself up. Luckily he realized it wasn't normal and called before it spread. The radiation is probably a precaution to catch any stray cells left behind. I stopped NS about a year ago and I still get all kinds of offers from them to come back. I've been ordering the Pizza Fit and Free and then send me sales offers around holidays. I usually wait until they give me a 30% offer and then I'll order some. I expect to get an offer like that around Memorial Day. I'll be back home then so I'll get some. I find then very helpful to have in the freezer for when I don't feel like cooking. I may look into Omaha Steaks when we get back too. I liked the KS heart healthy steaks but they don't seem to have them anymore. I'd get them through QVC. .
    Jean, leaving the thread as it is works fine since it's just the 4 of us. In the NS days, the threads would get so long that quarterly made sense.
    Maryanne, what a pleasant surprise that people came to the flea market. Did you get rid of a lot of stuff?
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - I think these are the KS heart healthy steaks: https://www.kansascitysteaks.com/product/top-sirloin-steaks-certified-by-american-heart-association

We sold a TON of stuff at the flea market. We were one volunteer/one van down (she fell earlier in the week and was in rough shape) so the volunteer who runs the flea markets was easily talked into letting us donate some stuff to Goodwill who brings a truck at the end of each flea market. I feel sort of bad for them, getting everyone's leftovers but they ask for it. We had some things we had all seen and packed several times over. It was good to donate them!
  • Helene610
    That made it so much easier for you for the packing up and being able to start the next sale with fresh stuff. When we used to do book sales at the library, we had a couple of volunteers that hated to let anything go. It was a tremendous amount of work to unpack and repack the same stuff every sale. We finally over rules then and got rid of things that had seen several sales and hadn't moved. Goodwill is probably ablr to put most of the leftovers to use so I wouldn't feel bad for them.
    My Easter company leaves today so maybe I'll start to make some weight los progress. It's tough to make progress when you have company and they're eating things I wouldn't normally eat. I lovr my sister but she's not a good influencer on me when it comes to sweets. Her weight is good so it's not a problem for her but I gain too easily to be around her for long.
  • mdubbs1
    I ran into a woman at the deli counter at the grocery store today who was buying basically two mouthfuls of rotisserie chicken salad. She saw me ordering 2 pounds and started to chat. She was on her way home to try it. She has unexpected company and didn't feel like cooking. She said she'd be back if she liked it but that my 2-lb order was giving her hope. I wonder why she didn't just try it there. They are always trying to get me to sample things.
  • Helene610
    Taking a sample sounds sensible to me. Maybe she was in a big hurry. Kind of odd though.
  • mdubbs1
    We just discovered we have a family of foxes (2 parents - 3 or 4 babies, depending on who you talk to, I've only seen 2) - living under a shed in the house next to the house across the street. The people across the street already knew. We can't really see them from our house when there is a car in their driveway which is why we hadn't seen them. The babies are SO cute. Unfortunately DH is afraid to get too close so we don't have any good pics. Yet anyway. The people across the street are STILL letting their cat go out. Their Bailey is SUCH a sweet boy (medium size, solid black, very people friendly) that I hate to see him out there at any time but especially now.
  • Helene610
    We have foxes in our neighborhood up north. I once saw a fox chase a cat across the year and up a tree. The cat was crying like a baby while the fox sat at the base of the tree. After a while she came down and took off in a mad dash with thre fox in pursuit. Hopefully she escaped him. Knowing that, we never let our cats out of the house.
  • mdubbs1
    I emailed all three of my siblings about Easter. Only one responded and he said he couldn't do Sunday (and I couldn't do Saturday). On Easter day I called my dad. No answer and apparently he doesn't have voice mail set up. He finally called me back last evening. We vaguely agreed we'd try to get together. My siblings are all younger than I am. If I can respond to email I see no reason they can't. And let's face it email is the quickest way to organize anything. Reply all can be a beautiful thing. I sometimes wonder if after my dad is gone whether I'll ever see any of my siblings again.

First thing this morning when I rolled out of bed, DH was all "you have to go feed NOW". He's taken over the role of weatherman for the colony feeding. LOL!

Now I need to get back to work. I'm working on the last three of my topics for our client seminar. I have to get up to speed on what the Society of Actuaries and the IRS has been doing since 2014 with respect to mortality tables. And yes, it's every bit as boring as it sounds (maybe more so)!!

It's a gray day here and I'd rather be reading for myself. Books and audiobooks are piling up even more than usual around here as I read Hamilton and Jefferson biographies in the hundreds of pages and listen to the Hamilton sound track. I'm immersed in Hamiltonia right now. But some books by my favorite authors are piling up!
  • mdubbs1
    Puppy's first day at work. This is SO cute: http://cheezburger.com/1993477/20-amazing-puppies-first-day-of-work
  • Helene610
    Can you take DH with you to feed the colonies? The best case scenario would be if he enjoys it and perhaps takes over doing it for you a couple of days a week. You could still do a day together if you miss doing it/ I wouldn't tell him the plan in the beginning, I'd just ask for his help now and then, throw in some compliments for a job well done and after a while, ask if he can do a day when you're backed up with work projects. Maybe you'll end up with a new hobby for him and some free time for yourself.