2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Helene--Have a safe trip. I've not watched Bosch.

Maryanne--I got my Omaha Steaks order a day early. I didn't have time to thaw the meat but I did fix the au gratin potatoes and the dessert, both of which were good. I only had to nuke them.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,934 Member
    We arrived safely tonight in Asbury Park, NJ after 2 1/2 days of driving. We drove in rain all day Wednesday and about half of today. It was nice to finally get out of it for the last half of today's drive, but I'm afraid it will catch up with us again tomorrow. Rain is forecast for tomorrow and Saturday. Luckily, the wedding is indoors, so the rain won't cause us too much trouble. We are both very tired after two days of driving 600+ miles each day. It's also much cooler than I was expecting, but I can manage with the clothes I brought.
  • KonaKat
    Pam--I do hope you enjoy the wedding. Unfortunately, you have driven into colder than normal temperatures. We are 500 miles south of Jersey and we have been warned to cover plants, etc. because of temperatures far below normal. I turned the heat back on last night. I imagine you are very tired with that much driving each day.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited May 2017
    Jean - I hope you enjoy the rest of your Omaha Steaks! I like the stuffed sole fillets - they don't have to be thawed.

Pam - wow, that is a LOT of driving! I hope you have a great time.

We got to the craft show yesterday - same place we do all the flea markets - to discover that they had FIRED their super efficient organizer person (and yes the new person was telling everyone they fired the last person). If this event isn't a disaster, it won't be for lack of trying by the new person. We got there to discover she wouldn't let us drive in. Her reason for that made NO sense. I could tell from the original floor plan what the original manager's plan was for this event. This woman destroyed it - and not in a good way. Instead of using part of the hall (which has movable walls that can be opened or closed) because as a first time show they hadn't attracted enough crafters to fill the whole HUGE space she opened up the entire place and scattered around the crafters so it looks as empty as it is. The flea market vendors are going to eat her alive! I hate to think how much she can mess that up. Our flea market chair is going to have a conniption. I thought about just turning around and going home but since people actually donated crafts for this event I decided we'd stay. Took my helper to Applebee's afterwards. Their new menu now has calories on it which is helpful. I had a 6-ounce sirloin and fire roasted vegetables (supposedly 390 calories). The waitress was determined I order a second side dish. I was equally determined I wasn't. She finally offered it to my helper.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--How frustrating to find the organization was a disaster. Thanks for the info on Applebees.

The sides of the Omaha steakburgers were very good. The burgers were thinner than the Kansas City steakburgers and called for them to be done on the George Foreman for five minutes. I told myself that the time was longer than I used for the other thicker brand but did use Omaha's minutes. Let's just say I had a very done and crispy burger.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,826 Member
    edited May 2017
    Pam I can only imagine how exhausted you were after driving 600 miles a day. How any hours in the car per day was that? And the rain had to make it so much worse. I'm exhausted after 2 slightly under 400 miles days. Asbury Park is 3-4 towns above where we stop in NJ to spend time with BIL's family. Since we're retired, we can drive distances which are doable for us rather than push ourselves. We have 3 days of driving left with a nice break here and a second break after the the second day's drive. My sister spends tie in FL too Once she gets i the car, she just wants to go. She's planning on driving from Jupiter FL to Rocky Mount NC in a day. The second day, they'll drive from Rocky Mount to CT so she can visit her daughters. She's a year younger than me and I don't know how she has the stamina to push herself to go those distances. Better her than me! We were so tired today we didn't get out of bed until 10.
    Maryanne, will this same new person organize the other shows you participate in? Of course, that's if she survives the first one. I hope if vendors complain, they also voice their support for the former director and her efficiency.
    We experienced cooler temperatures as well but not as bad as Jean and Pa. It was near 90 when we left Sanibel and it was mid 60s when we arrived in SC. That's a pretty good drop in 2 days. I had to dig out a sweater at one of the rest stops. I had a sleeveless shirt on and my arms started to get cold.
  • Helene610
    How did the flea market go? We had a laid back day yesterday recovering from 2 days of driving.
  • PamS53
    We were in the car for about 11-12 hours on the two long days of driving. Today we are in Williamsburg, VA with my niece and her family. We are going to visit the Jamestown settlement in a little while. They live about a mile from it. Afterward we will find a place for a seafood lunch before picking up their son from school. He tried to plead his case to stay home from school to hang out with us today, but mom and dad stood firm against that. Lol!

Tomorrow we are headed to the Raleigh-Durham area for a couple of days visiting one of my favorite cousins, then on Friday we start back to Texas. That will be another two long days of driving. It's been a great trip for the most part, but I know I'll be very ready to get back home by then.

The wedding was really lovely. The bride and groom are very loved by their many friends and the ceremony and reception reflected many fun and loving touches that their friends provided. Most of their friends are theater people, so as you might imagine, their were no shy ones in the bunch. The groom's parents are British, so many of the guests had come from England, Ireland, and Scotland to be part of the weekend. And many of the American guest are currently living in California, so almost everyone traveled quite a distance to be there. The weather was somewhat cooperative. The rain stopped on the day of the wedding, but it was still unseasonably cool and extremely windy. In fact, one of my favorite pictures is of the bride arriving at the venue just before the ceremony was to start, wearing a hot pink shower cap to protect her hair from the wind. There's a cute pic of her mom helping her remove the cap with the bride vamping it up for the camera.
  • Helene610
    Pam, My sister used to live in the Raleigh-Durham area. There are lovely gardens on the grounds of Duke University. we used to stop there and stroll through them every time we visited. Southern Season Market in Chapel Hill is a fabulous gourmet market. Foster's Market https://www.fostersmarket.com/ is another gourmet shop/ restaurant is a nice place for lunch or shopping. Enjoy your time there and safe drive back to TX. The wedding sounded really special special. Is your niece's husband still performing in NY?
  • mdubbs1
    The craft show was a disaster. Different instructions every time we turned around. Very little gate and the few people who did come seemed to just wander down the aisles, not browse. Space cost $100 and we probably sold $85. The new manager and her minions disappeared before closing at 3 pm. No announcement to the public that the show was ending. No announcements to vendors on end of day procedures. It appeared they took the liners out of the trash cans (was that supposed to be a signal not to use the trash cans? Oh, they'll learn.) and disappeared. Around 3:30 some brave soul drove in (a rebel!). Pretty soon someone else did. Then we all did!

I don't know if the minions were new employees or just friends of the new manager. The manager will be in charge of the flea market if she doesn't quit or get fired. I expect it to be a similar disaster if she doesn't reach out to some people to find out how everyone expects it to work. And she didn't strike me as someone who was open to that. She seems to be a touchy feel-y type. E.g. she had printed up a scavenger hunt for kids. I assume to encourage kids to come. Who wants kids at a craft show? The prizes were lollipops. We were all sort of laughing - sure, invite kids to a craft show and pour sugar in them. Who would think THAT was a good idea????

• Helene610
    Will you be in another show that she runs? I wouldn't participate in another show she runs and I'd tell her exactly why not. When you factor in your gas and time, you lost money on this fiasco. She made set up harder and spread patrons' walking on probably a hard cement floor. And cutting out early on her first event is so rookie.
  • mdubbs1
    This is the place that does the flea markets that have been so successful for us. I decided to be proactive. I went to their web site, found the contact info, and sent an email. She responded. I'm hoping to sound friendly and helpful and see if I can fill her in on what the flea market vendors will expect when they show up.

I lost 2 pounds last week. I'm within 1 pound now of where I was before the latest binge.
  • Helene610
    Good plan on trying to improve the flea markets. Could you tell how she took your suggestions? Congrtas on getting almost back to your pre-binge total.
  • mdubbs1
    I haven't talked to her yet. I suggested we chat next week. This week is our annual client seminar and that's all I'm focused on.
  • mdubbs1
    I just found a reference that Extreme Weight Loss was officially cancelled.
  • mdubbs1
    I'm tired! Yesterday morning was our annual client seminar (I got up at 4:30 -SO not me!) and last evening we had a retirement party for a colleague. The rain slowed traffic to a crawl (people in Baltimore apparently can't drive in the rain) so there was a lot of extra time consumed in commuting. I'm glad that day is over!
  • Helene610
    It sounds exhausting! My brother is having tile installed in 2 bathrooms and the kitchen. Tile guy started yesterday, breaking out the tile in the master bath and installing new. He left us with instructions not to walk on the tile until he grouts it. He was using a hammer drill so DH and I hung out with the neighbors in their gazebo. I went to Carolina Opry last night and we left the husbands home. DH is not a country music and her DH was tired from working in the yard. Another neighbor drove and her 90 year old mom came with us. It was a fine night out. The tile guy and his wife just arrived and it's going to get noisy in here so I'll talk to you later.
  • PamS53
    I'm exhausted. We had a great visit with my cousin and his family, but I did not sleep well any of the three nights we were there, so I am very tired. Today we drove 12+ hours and are now in our motel room. Tomorrow our drive is a little shorter, around ten hours. DH commented to my cousin that he was considering just abandoning the car at the airport and flying home, but eventually reconsidered, lol. I think we are both going to think long and hard about anymore long care trips after this one.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--I do hope the flea market people are receptive to your suggestions on what made past ones successful. Congrats upon the weight loss.

Helene--I'm not a big country music fan but I went to the Grand Ole Opry a couple of years ago when in Nashville. I was surprised at how good it was. Escaping the noise is a good ideea.

Pam--I'm sorry that you didn't sleep well. I enjoy car drives but days of 12+ hours would be exhausting. I usually stop every two hours and that helps, but I agree it is something to consider for the future.

I'll likely go to the city today to get groceries, etc. and possibly look at plants. My chemical stress test is scheduled for this coming Friday. No treadmill this time. I have no idea how much I weight. I've lost focus.
  • Helene610
    Today is the last day of the tile install. He's doing the guest bath today and the breaking out the old tile only lasted about an hour. He'd work in spurts so it wasn't non stop work. He wife is here with him doing the grouting. It's really coming out good. I had my doubts when my brother told me had had the walls painted soft green and the floor tiles were gray. It makes a surprisingly spa like feeling in the bathrooms. The kitchen is covered with grout haze so I can't see the final results yet.
    We'll be starting the rest of our long drive on Monday. It didn't work out stopping in NJ to see BIL's family. we'd planned to leave yesterday and get to their house on Sunday. They had Mother's plans so we decided to stay in SC a bit longer. We'll probably take 4 days for the trip instead of our normal 3 since we're not staying with them. We thought we might sight see along the way and drive shorter distances per day. We haven't figured out where we want to stop yet.