2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited May 2017
    I just finished reading "The Breathing Series" of 3 books, thanks to Kindle Unlimited. These books are great but have to be read in order. Each book has over a 4 star rating with large number of reviews. The first book is "Reason to Breathe" and has over 3,300 reviews. I read it and got hooked.

I love that Special K breakfast sandwich.

OK, here are just two pics of the local supermarket:

ly1h2m6oez42.jpg

bd31rufs5vjt.jpg
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,644 Member
    Jean - that's just sad! I'm going to have to give strong thanks for the bounty here when I hit two stores today (one mostly just to refill Jack's Famciclovir using a GoodRx coupon). I should quit complaining about what my local stores don't have (decent produce). At least they have it.

How did you end up where you are? Did you grow up in that area?
  • mdubbs1
    With respect to the second generation family business, I've been thinking about it a lot lately because of course our ridiculous "President" is a second generation family business person.
  • mdubbs1
    this one amewsed me this morning:
    gv5169nisy4k.jpg

• mdubbs1
    Just printed out for DH:
    sqpjkt5fscwg.jpg

• KonaKat
    Maryanne--Love the graphics!

I'm originally from this area. It hasn't been like this, but during the last ten years things have begun to go downhill. The people here are great but it is unfortunate that some business people such as this supermarket chain's owner are not responsible or responsive to people's needs. At least, we still have a somewhat functioning supermarket. In the adjoining county, none no longer exist. People either have to get quick needs at a gasoline convenience store or drive up to 50 miles to better stores.
  • mdubbs1
    Consumer Reports this month has an article about how grocery stores are going to disappear and the ones that don't disappear will be majorly rejiggered. Then I read an article online about how 30% of malls, at least, will disappear in the next 5 years. I can see the malls disappearing. Haven't been to one in years and years. But I'd miss the grocery stores. I like to pick out much of my food although I admit to buying a lot of diet items online and even some meats. Well and the occasional item like Harry and David pears. But I don't want to do everyday shopping like that.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,826 Member
    edited June 2017
    Jean..That pic of the store shelves is pathetic. Have you tried something like Walmart.com for groceries. I read where they went to free delivery to compete with Amazon. I too have a bounty of stores to choose from plus a couple of good produce stores within a short drive. I didn't get much done today. A friend needed a ride to urgent care. She had an infection in her leg and needed antibiotics. She lost her license after a minor accident, largely because the police officer looked at her age and decided she should lose her license. she had a 50 clean driving record and has been through hell since then trying to get her license back. I always through she was exaggerating but she was 100% correct. I like the Jimmy Dean breakfasts better but the amount of sodium in all of them concern me.
  • mdubbs1
    At the rate we're going the only jobs around will be clerking at Walmart or a fast food restaurant and working in the big distribution centers. I've seen those distribution centers on TV. Those jobs must be soul destroying. But that hasn't stopped me from ordering online. Hmmm, have to think about that.
  • mdubbs1
    I bought a couple of the new(ish) Medifast Optavia packets on ebay. One day I was sitting here and read up a little on Medifast. Seems to me it's essentially "packet day" on steroids. So far most of the things I've tried from the original Medifast line have left me cold. I do like the spiced pancakes. The oatmeal sounds good (unique flavors) but is awful. The gingerbread you mix and nuke is awful. I'm curious if the Optavia is any better.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - I was just reading an article about older folks and driving. Scares me to death to think about losing my license. We still have 7 cats that need to go to the doctors. DH and I need to go to the doctors. I just renewed my license for 8 years so hopefully I'm good for 8 years.
  • KonaKat
    I was just on the WalMart website reading about the grocery delivery system. It is available only in a few markets. As it stands now, you can order online and the "local" WalMart will have the groceries ready to be loaded in your vehicle.

I have one of those Amazon Echoes, one of the first steps in artificial intelligence. I can see where fast food places, etc. in the future will not have someone to take your order. You just step up to an "Alexa" and say, "Alexa, I want a big Mac combo supersized with Coke to drink." Alexa will repeat the order to you and tell you the total, at which time you swipe your card to pay for the order (Think Olive Garden, etc.) Then a revolving belt will deliver your order to you. I think about this anytime fast food workers want to be paid $15 an hour. They could be replaced easily. I can tell you that I have used Alexa to place an order on Amazon and she got it right.

I want one of those "Star Trek food replicators." Can you imagine stepping up to it and ordering your meal of choice and having it produced for you?

I just came back from having blood tests run. The coffee tastes so good as does the quick burger for lunch. I was hungry and I also wanted my coffee. I don't anticipate good results as I've been eating some inappropriate things.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--That might work if people lived near a WalMart or worked there but most people who work at WalMart live near one and not 50 miles away.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,826 Member
    I guess I misunderstood the concept of Walmart deliveries. I was thinking that people ordered staples and they were shipped to their home. If I had to pick up a shipment at the store, I might as well pick out my own items. Stop and Shop, one of our big chains, has a service called Peapod. You can order groceries and have them delivered or you can place an order that you'll pick up. You give them a time frame for pick up, park in a certain spot, call a phone number and an employee bring the order to your car. I don't know if they charge for that service or not. The have a big refrigerated trailer on the sidewalk that holds the orders waiting to be picked up. I've never seen anyone use it.
  • KonaKat
    It is a beautiful sunny day. I'm being lazy right now.

Right now, I guess the NS shipments are able to come to your home or those meals such as Blue Apron, etc. Then there is Amazon which will deliver shelf stable items to your home. I ordered steakburgers from Omaha. They are much fatter than the Kansas City heart healthy ones which are hard to get now. I keep getting emails from Omaha and might order again when I find a special that appeals to me
  • mdubbs1
    I really miss those Kansas City heart healthy burgers.

I just cringe at the thought of someone else picking out my bananas or lettuce or fruit. I'm sure it's a blessing for older folks or anyone who can't drive but for me, it doesn't sound appealing. Once or twice a year ordering a box of pears from Harry and David as a treat is one thing; but everyday? I don't think so.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--I agree with you about someone picking out food. I have seen people picking out bananas which I wouldn't want. Not that I am picky but I don't want several black places on my bananas.

I'm watching the CNN coverage of the attacks in London. Almost makes me want to cancel my flight to London over Spring Break. I'm using frequent flier miles so the good flights go fast. The ones that get left cause you to spend 24 hours to get there instead of 12.
  • KonaKat
    Monday has arrived. I guess Quaker Weight Control oatmeal will be breakfast. I may go to the city but I could easily sit here also. Motivation is lacking!
  • mdubbs1
    We survived the cat show. I'm tired but glad we did it. Not great sales, just average, but always great to be around cat people. DH is lucky I didn't come home with a cat from another rescue group that was there. Had to restrain myself!

I lost a pound last week. Need to hunker down and keep making progress. I'm going to have packet day today since I'll be here all day. We're expecting big storms. So breakfast will be pancakes.

I almost feel like a cook when I'm having pancakes or my egg breakfast!

I was reading a little about Medifast. I have no intention of doing anything but using a few of their items for variety (if any are better than what I've tried so far) but I was curious. The little I read made it seem like Medifast is essentially packet day on steroids. How long can anyone live just eating packets?

Jean - I'm sure that TV coverage would get anyone rethinking their plans!