2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,790 Member
    Options
    I'm more focused on health than when I started on NS. I had a check up yesterday. My BP had been high last time as I was dealing with DH's heart surgery. I've moved into the higher limits of normal. I'd gained 3 pounds in 6 months and my doctor said that wasn't too bad considering the past year. Like Maryanne, my last blood work was prediabetic. She told me not to diet 6 months ago when I was so stressed. Now I'm ready to start eating more healthy and more carefully monitor portions. I see her again in November and I hope to further reduce my BP and lose enough weight to reverse the prediabetes. I've read even a 10% reduction can improve test results. So I'm going to slow and steady move in the direction I need to go.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    I guess we are all more concerned about health than physical appearance. My numbers used to be out of whack. Now, the cholesterol numbers for Total, HDL, LDL and Trig are all normal. My BP is normal as is my heart rate, etc. It does appear that I may have a Vitamin B12 problem for which I was tested again today, low red blood count. I know being overweight isn't good for the heart. My big weakness is lack of exercise. When I had the cardiac ablation, I was told to aim for 60 minutes of exercise a day.
  • Helene610
    Options
    I remember when you used to walk on the school track. Exercise is such a hard thing unless you are one of those people who love. That's so not me. I have to make myself do it and usually it's a losing battle.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading my annual well woman checkup next month because I'm sure my weight is up from last year, and last year she told me I needed to lose some. I don't think I overeat or eat badly, but without exercise, it is impossible for me to lose weight or even maintain very easily. I know I have to get back to an exercise routine, but I just haven't gotten to the point that I'm ready to do it. It seems like every time I've tried, I get derailed by back pain and then don't go back to it after it subsides for fear of aggravating it again. Excuses, I know.

We are driving down to Houston tomorrow to visit DH's family. It will be a chaotic visit, as usual. I don't look forward to these trips, but I really have no valid reason to stay home.

We have had sporadic internet service over the past 3-4 days, which is annoying. Apparently, it's a widespread problem in the area for all subscribers on Spectrum, but when you call their customer service, they won't admit that it's not just an individual issue. I belong to an internet group for homeowners in my part of the city as well as the neighboring city, and this problem is affecting a lot of people. I guess Spectrum doesn't realize that we are all communicating with each other about this issue (when we have internet service, lol).
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Somehow I can't see myself suddenly falling in love with exercise. I've been a book worm since I was a child. My mother used to make us go outside and so I had books hidden around here and there.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I think exercise requires a certain mindset. I've not found any that I loved so much that I missed it when not doing it. I've never gotten a "high" from it like some say they do. I'm definitely at the age where I won't lose much unless I exercise. I know it is supposed to be good for your health regardless of weight but it still is a challenge. Perhaps I need to treat it like a med necessary to keep me alive.
  • Helene610
    Options
    It sounds like we all have a dislike of exercise in common. Pam. have you thought about doing chair exercise at home. You can probably find U Tube videos or Amazon sells a DVD. It might be easier on your back. All of you should be asking Spectrum for refunds for the days of no service. if they had a lot of requests, they might start addressing the problem.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I spent the day going through files, accumulated stuff, and debating. I found newspaper clippings of great value at the time I clipped them. I spend too much time debating.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Well, I am now the proud owner of a Kindle fire. DH (my IT guy) has it pretty much set up except for the headphones. He couldn't resist playing with "Alexa". I just want to watch Amazon only videos. Like the Harry Bosch series. And My 600-lb Life. Nothing comes on DVD any more it seems.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Pam - I wonder if more PT would help you with your back. And be exercise to boot. I loved PT and was sorry to give it up. Sort of like a nice little gym, with almost everyone older than me. That period of time was the only period of time I've ever exercised religiously.
  • PamS53
    Options
    Maryanne, the place where I go for PT really only focuses on whatever body part for which you are referred. Aside from about 10 minutes of warmup on the treadmill or bike, the rest of the time is spent on the specific area that needs therapy, so it's not much of a workout.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I loved the PT when I did it; the PT people became like friends. Despite their working me according to the problem, I looked forward to it and really miss it. I always thought when doing it that I would never spend an hour on my own doing all those exercises. I was right; I even bought a balance board as I enjoyed doing that. From what I saw, everyone got treated to using the balance board
  • Helene610
    Options
    Pam, have you considered chair exercises that you do sitting down? There are many selections available on U Tube. You might also ask your doctor to refer you to PT again specifically for your back. If those two options work, you may be able to strengthen the muscles supporting the back and then go back to your gym when you feel better.
    Maryanne, which version of the Kindle Fire did you get? I'm thinking about getting one myself.
    Jean, I know what you mean about the clippings. They look good at the time and then just pile up. At this point, pitch them and clip new articles that interest you.
  • Helene610
    Options
    DH had his echo cardiogram and treadmill stress test yesterday. He was a little concerned about the treadmill. Last year, they stopped the test after a few minutes because his BP dropped too low. That led to bypass surgery and a pacemaker. He's completely recovered from that and the tests were to evaluation him for exercise rehab classes. I mentioned to my doctor that he was a little anxious. She said most people his age have to do the chemical version so it was a positive they were doing the treadmill. And she said she sees a lot of test results and most seniors only make 5 minutes. I relayed that to him to ease his mind. He ended up doing the whole test including a slight incline. He didn't feel tired until the end when the tech was slowing it down anyway for the cool down. Now we wait for his doctor to review the results. He saw her a couple of weeks ago and at that time there was a waiting list for the classes. He had the tests now so that hopefully the list clears soon and he's completed the pre-testing.
    We celebrated how well he did by going to a waterfront restaurant and he had a GF lobster roll. We had a lovely outdoor view of the harbor, with boats going in and out. It was a lovely, relaxing way to spend the afternoon. And the food was delicious. I had the Mahi Mahi tacos.
  • PamS53
    Options
    Helene, I went to PT a couple of months ago specifically for my back. I think I went 3-4 times and got a set of exercises to strengthen my back and supporting muscles. I'll admit that I haven't been as consistent as I should in doing them since I stopped going, but I really didn't notice much improvement while I was doing them consistently either. As for the chair exercises, I think they might be helpful for toning, but I don't think they would do much for cardio and I think cardio exercise is what I need for weight loss.
  • mdubbs1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I got the new 8 inch kindle fire. They just started shipping. The reviews all say that if you plan to use it primarily for amazon content you'll be happiest. By the time I added memory and paid to remove ads, plus added a case, it was close to $200 (not including blue tooth headphones). Big splurge for me but I decided that I really haven't bought myself much lately and I am at the half way point in my efforts! DH is fascinated by Alexa.

One thing I didn't realize is that I now have a way to listen to all the "free" music albums they credit you with when you buy a physical CD.

DH got the headphones working so it's all a "go". Annoying amount of things to charge but I guess that's life today. I took some masking tape and a sharpie and marked the chargers.

DH can't believe I bought it. I guess he's forgotten which one of us bought the first PC way back when. Hint: it wasn't him. And which one of us couldn't begin to imagine why anyone would use the internet. Hint: it WAS him! LOL!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--Those Sit and Be Fit videos are good. I'm glad that your DH has the stress test behind him and that you celebrated it with a good dinner.

Pam-- You are correct that toning is good but cardio is required for heart health and weight loss. Getting motivated to do it is the big factor.

Maryanne--Enjoy your Fire. I don't have the one with Alexa but do have an Echo. I've never regretted the Echo purchase.I also have a 10 inch android tablet in addition to the small Fire. There are some app programs that are not compatible with the Fire.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    The new events person at these flea markets is strange. I was so mad yesterday the lawyer almost came out. I got there first. The tables were all lying on the floor. I walked over and asked "do you have someone who can set up the tables?". It's hard for me to ask for help but I did. The answer was a curt "no" (even though there were two 20 or so year old men standing there doing nothing; so much for chivalry). So I started working on it. Back in the day those tables were easy for me. Not so much any more (memo to self: strength training). The vendor next to me helped with half of them. I didn't have the tablecloths. Bonnie did. So I was putzing around. Talking to a few people. Sort of waiting. Turns out they wouldn't let Bonnie in until my car left. Geesh! Could you tell a person?????? Anyway we finally got set up.
  • Helene610
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Jean, thanks for the info on the Sit and Fit videos. I mentioned the chair exercises to Pam as a way to gain some strength and flexibility without straining her back further. I saw it as a stop gap between doing nothing and being active. I would think there would be some cardio included even though sitting. Raising arms and legs would increase the heart rate. I'm going to check them out myself as my knee is still giving me some problems. I got down on my knees yesterday to look for a pill bottle I dropped and it rolled under the bed. I didn't think I was going to be able to get back up again even using the bed for support. I think it's a muscle thing rather than the knee cap. When I'm seated, I find myself limping when I get up. It seems to be the back of the knee and it works itself out after I walk half way across the room.

Maryanne, the Flea Market Director sounds like a horror. Her communication skills are non existent. Not telling you Bonnie couldn't come in until you left was ridiculous. If you run into trouble with the tables again and there are young, able body men standing there, ask if they can help you set up. Rarely would anyone say no. We had tables in the library and they weren't all that heavy. I could open the legs but I couldn't raise them up and flip them without assistance.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I think the flea market director is a pain. Don't most of the flea markets have the tables set up and all you have to do is claim your table and decorate and place items as desired?

Helene--Anytime the arms are raised above the heart level, some cardio is involved. Those Sit and Be Fit Videos originated on PBS and have a good reputation. I'm joining you with the knee issue.

I went to the city today to get my hair cut and styled. Afterwards, I went to WalMart for some very focused grocery shopping.