2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Jean - love the diet program! I definitely need to be committed! One thing I can honestly say is that I never blame money or friends or family. I may occasionally blame lack of time but I'm working hard on that. I just did the spreadsheet for tomorrow!

Helene - when I took over these colonies there were two cats that were more interested in me than in the food so I got them out. One we placed; Indy is here. She spent 6 months at the vet and 2 months in the laundry room so she's still getting used to the household. She rubs and rubs against my legs when I go to the kitchen. If I sit on the floor she drapes herself over my legs.

She had her first annual vet visit today. The vet was so touched at seeing her have two nearly normal eyes. She said it was probably the best surprise she'd have all week!

There was a young woman there with a young (12 weeks?) tuxedo kitten who has stopped eating. I hope they can figure out what's wrong. It looks almost exactly like the cat we have in the adoption cage but I guess all black faced tuxedos look about the same!

The scale says I lost 4 pounds last week. Since I gained a 1/2 pound last week I'm thinking this 4 pounds was some I actually lost last week but the scale didn't show.

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Maryanne, isn't it interesting how cats react? When I went to adopt, I had a certain pattern in mind but as I looked at the cats, Midnight was the one who looked at me and put his paws out the cage. I asked if I could hold him in the lobby to see how he did. I guess he did fine as he and I will celebrate 11 years together in July.

Congrats upon the weight loss. We all know how the scale can discourag us, but this is a great week for you...or perhaps two weeks.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - you and Midnight were both very lucky!

We've had Jack and Lola 10 years as of this year. Jessicat we've had 15 years. Everyone else is newer.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--You are a great parent to your furbabies.

I have nothing profound to report. I did well with my eating yesterday and will aim for the same today. I have a routine medical appointment with my primary.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - I've never really had the experience of going somewhere to choose a cat and at this point I guess it's unlikely I ever will. Of course I have had to choose which ones to keep and which ones to place with someone else but it's not the same I don't think.

With respect to weight loss, I just noticed something that may be important.

Last year on July 5 I weighed one pound less than I did yesterday. So that could easily be where I am next Monday when I weigh. Then I pretty much stopped weighing for the year and put back on 24 pounds by New Year's.

So I'm thinking this is a pivotal point for me in the year. My chance NOT to do the same thing. Break the groundhog day cycle!

I think I'm really glad I noticed this.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I think the secret to not gaining weight is to weigh frequently. For me, I did well doing it twice a week. Like you, I quit weighing in. I read that something common to all who lost and maintained their loss was the fact they weighed in frequently and sometimes more than once a week. Let us both break the groundhog day cycle!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,790 Member
    Options
    Two of our cats chose DH as their person. Midnight belonged to a single mom with 5 kids. In addition to Midnight, they had a dog, a rabbit, a bird. a guinea pig and fish. none of the kids paid much attention to the cat. She used to come over to keep DH company while he worked in the garden. One time, he was picking pears when she climbed the tree. She walked down the branch and put her face up to his. he was on a step ladder at the time. the family moved to Texas and the mom asked if we would adopt Midnight. We were happy to do it. She lived to 16 years old. We got Cheyenne and Cagney from a local rescue group. Once again, Cheyenne picked DH. There were probably 20 cats to choose from. DH was sitting on a chair holding one of the cats. Cheyenne came over, sat at his feet and gave that cat the evil eye. As soon as she jumped down, Cheyenne jumped into his lap, settled herself down and sent out a clear message that she was going home with him. She truly was his cat. She spent countless hours every day in his lap and curled up around his knees every night. I picked Cagney because I wanted a tiger cat. She probably would have become feral if the group hadn't rescued her, at just under a year old. She was always much more shy and standoffish. It took her a year to be comfortable enough to sit on our laps. She was never a cat that you could pick up. She'd panic and the little feet would start pumping if we picked her up. Cheyenne had a family that gave her up because of a divorce and losing their home. So she was already socialized to people. Cagney lived to 17 and Cheyenne was 18 when she died last year. At the moment, we have no pets. My avatar is a picture of Cagney.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I always watch the Tony awards. As close to Broadway as I'll get. I didn't realize there was a musical called Groundhog Day so much of the opening dialogue went right by me. LOL!

Helene - sounds like there needs to be a "Helene cat" one of these days. I don't mind if DH has two totally devoted to him as long as I have "mine".
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Please don't ban me from this group for saying this, but I am so NOT a cat person! And yet, every home I go into that has cats, the cats won't leave me alone. They want to sit in my lap if I'm sitting or rub against me legs if I'm standing. If I ignore them, they start meowing at me until I at least speak to them. My friends think this is hilarious. Me, not so much. I'd be happy to ignore them if they'd ignore me, but it never happens. One of my friend's has a cat that she says is extremely shy, but you couldn't prove it by me because every time I go to her house that animal is all over me. She is completely perplexed by this as she says he doesn't do this to anyone else. He's not even that friendly to her husband. I really think they just like to mess with me because they can sense that I'm not a cat lover, which just reinforces my dislike for them. It's a vicious circle, lol! Needless to say, I've never had a cat as a pet and can't imagine that I ever will.
  • Helene610
    Options
    If we didn't spend months in FL, we'd have another cat. We've never had a cat that liked to travel. Imagine riding 1,500 miles with a crying cat? We had the cat sitter come in twice a day to feed and play with the girls but I'm sure they missed us. But we didn't have a better solution. A dog makes more sense but neither of us has suggested looking into dog adoption. We're basically cat people but we like other people's dogs. And Pam, you can stay because we like you. The cats have picked you out as a good person. LOL.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Pam - we love you anyway. LOL! Our cats were the same way with my mother, who wanted no part of them. Especially our late Linus. I always choked Linus was lobbying for a new home - but with the WRONG person!

• KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--This link explains your issue with cats being attracted to non-cat lovers. Cats are interesting in the ways they perceive and handle things. We all agree that you are important here.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/why-do-cats-go-to-people-who-dont-like-them.html

• KonaKat
    Options
    It is a beautiful sunny Fall-like day. I'm not walking or running anywhere fast. Sometimes, the pain in my knee is so bad when I take a step that it is all I can do to keep from going down. I don't know if the fall I took a couple of weeks ago aggravated the arthritis or something else is going on.

The x-ray yesterday just showed arthritis but it doesn't show problems with ligaments or tendons. The x-ray does show that my left hand has some bones that may be dislocated. I have to see an orthopedic on Saturday. In the meantime, I have to wear a wrist and hand brace to keep it stable and lessen the pain.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Jean, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. Did you tell us about this fall? I don't remember reading about it. Something similar happened to my SIL recently. While she was flying to France to visit her son and his family, she twisted her knee and was later diagnosed with a torn meniscus and ACL, but two orthopedic docs have now told her they don't recommend surgery, only PT for it. She was advised to wear a knee brace for awhile to help with stability and pain. She's a nurse and while at work a few weeks ago she was walking down some stairs at work and the knee just gave out on her, causing her to fall. She was lucky to only end up with a few bruises from that. Like you, though, she feels like she doesn't trust the knee not to give out on her again.

Thank you all for not banning me from the group due to my non-cat-loving ways. I promise I'm never mean to them; I just don't want to hang out with them!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - that sounds bad. I know what it feels like to almost have a leg go out from under you because of pain and it's not fun! I hope they can figure out what's causing it and give you some relief.

Pam - it's weird sometimes who ends up as animal people. My parents definitely were not, in any way, shape or form. My maternal grandparents lived on a farm converted to a nursery and they always had dogs and cats. On at least one occasion during a visit to them I snuck a kitten home. Wasn't doing it any favors though because my mom wouldn't let it live in the house and it would get run over on the road. My paternal grandparents weren't particularly animal people. Three of the four of us kids are most definitely animal people. I think the other brother would be if he'd gone down a different path with steady job, place to live and significant other.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I remember when I was young, the family had a dog we all loved. He eventually crossed the Rainbow Bridge. The neighbor had a cat who began to visit, so we developed a love of cats.

This feels like it should be Saturday. I didn't do anything yesterday as I'm babying the leg and hand but this is getting old already. Saturday's appointment with the ortho can't get here too soon.

I had a similar issue with right knee once...a severe one...and went through PT which did zero. I remember being in WalMart near Christmas when the pain hit so bad that I had to use a cart to lean on to get to the car. I got back and told them that I couldn't take it anymore and needed a referral. I saw this ortho who gave me shots in the knee and told me that if it didn't have a dramatic improvement in a week then he would follow up with more tests. One week later I was one happy person. All I could think of was all those PT sessions that did zero. I continued with the shots with the interval in between increasing. I haven't had one in the right leg for almost two years but it is beginning to show a need.

The hand hurts when used but not like trying to walk on that leg when first getting up or getting out of chair after a long sit.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I can still remember one episode when I was still working at the office. I'd been sitting too long and went limping down the hallway. Several people who saw me asked if I was okay. I think they looked at me funny when my only reply was "sitting too long".
  • Helene610
    Options
    I've had the same experience of limping after sitting too long. Mine would usually straighten out after walking the length of the room. My last chiro visit helped with that. The leg was seriously misaligned from the driving home from FL. I was relieved my fix was a simple one. Jean, I hope you can get a shot to relieve your knee pain. Is the hand arthritis or did you injure it?
  • Helene610
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Pam--This link explains your issue with cats being attracted to non-cat lovers. Cats are interesting in the ways they perceive and handle things. We all agree that you are important here.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/why-do-cats-go-to-people-who-dont-like-them.html

I was watching couple of Episodes of MY CAT FROM HELL and Jackson talked about the blink as a sign of trust with a cat. I'd never heard of that before and I don't have any cats to try it out on. But he had success with it on the show with some very scared cats.