2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This was a day I spent with 2 doctor appointments to schedule tests. I had lunch with my cousin at the Olive Garden and had one of their less than 600 calorie entrees. I'm sure that isn't accurate but it is an indication the entrees are lower in calories than the other items. It was very tasty.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,790 Member
    Options
    This has been a tough week. The husband of a friend died Saturday after a month long illness. He came back from critical condition to spend a couple of weeks in the best rehab hospital in the area. It was the same one DH used after his bypass surgery. My friend was hoping he'd be home by the 4th of July. He suffered a relapse, went back to ICU and died 2 weeks later. I went to the wake yesterday. He was a retired police officer so the turn out was huge. It was an hour in line to talk to my friend. Two days before that, one of my closest friends went into the hospital with an infection. We had gone to the fireworks with her Sunday and had dinner at her home Monday. Her daughter called us Wednesday to say she was in the ICU. We called Wednesday for an update in her condition only to find she had died that morning. She hadn't been feeling well lately but it was nothing life threatening. Somehow she developed an infection that overwhelmed her body. I still can't believe how quickly it happened. Her funeral was in NY so we've been taking care of her son's dog while the family is away. The dog was a barker but he settled right down when it was just DH providing the food and walks. he even jumped up on DH's lap thins morning. So that was a bright spot in a miserable week.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Helene, I'm so sorry for your double loss. The death of someone you're close to is never easy, whether you've known it was imminent for awhile or in these cases, relatively sudden. I hope your happy memories of these two individuals bring you comfort.

I've had a quiet week doing lots of nothing worthwhile. It's been very hot and humid here, which makes me want to stay indoors under the air conditioning. I did get out yesterday to go and buy yarn for a project. A friend's daughter is pregnant with baby #2, due Christmas Day, and my next door neighbor is pregnant with baby #4, due in October. Both are having boys. I found a cute pattern for a knitted cocoon done to look like a Sock Monkey that I decided would be a cute gift for both of them. I found sock monkeys on Amazon that I ordered to go with each cocoon, so yesterday I was searching for yarn to match the sock monkeys. That proved harder than I expected. I suppose that this time of the year most of the yarn colors that are available tend to be more summery. It was hard to find many browns in the weight of yarn that I needed, but I finally found it. Unfortunately, it was at Hobby Lobby and I only buy there as a last resort because I oppose their policy regarding birth control for their employees. In the end I did purchase it there because I had already exhausted my other options, but I really hated to do it. I got started on the first cocoon last night and I'm hoping it won't take too long to complete. I'll try to post a picture when it's done.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Oh, Helene, I'm so sorry! What a horrible week. I've never even heard of an infection like that. I'm glad you could help with the dog.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,790 Member
    Options
    DH loves dogs but has never mentioned adopting one. He's a cat person at heart first. DH was thrilled after Chewy hopped up into his lap yesterday after a walk. He's a barker and usually barked up a storm when we'd come over. He'd settled down after the family would tell her to stop. Once the family was away, Chewy was very happy to see DH and didn't bark at all. He must have figured out where the food and walks were coming from.

I suspect Alice felt worse than she let on. She was excited about the family visit and didn't want to go the hospital before they came. She had taken a fall in her bedroom the week before and bruised her ribs.She was straightening up the quilt and got her foot tangled. She may have broken some ribs. I say that because she had a hard time getting into my car or walking up her front steps. You could tell she was in pain. The paramedics came to the house when she fell but she refused to go to the hospital. They bandaged up a cut on her arm and the nurse changed the bandage the next day. We'll never know if it would have made a difference if she'd gone to the ER that night. Her family wanted her to move to Chicago and she didn't want to move. So she may have projected a stronger image health wise than was true. I don't think she realized how ill she was.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Pam - good luck with the project. Every once in awhile I go to Walmart and check out the frozen diet entrees. I always feel guilty because Walmart is somewhere I really try not to patronize. Not that they would notice me one way or the other.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--I've never been in a Hobby Lobby and don't know if there is one in our state but good luck in your efforts especially when you had to buy from a place that is a place of last resort.

Helene--So sorry. You definitely had a challenging week. Sometimes an infection can be working long before it makes itself evident.

Maryanne--I do nearly all my grocery shopping in WalMart. The prices are great and the one I frequent most often has great customer service with all checkouts open when super busy.

Depressing start to the week. Despite being good with the food and adding exercise, I lost zero pounds.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - I'm sorry you had a discouraging week!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--It is frustrating not to lose after a great week. On Monday, I start the low fiber and no red anything to prepare for the cleansing on Thursday. Yuck on this week!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - yuck on the week is right!!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Had a Special K breakfast sandwich and am now having yogurt for a mid-morning snack.

On a positive note, I get my real FICO scores and reports once a year from MyFico. The rest of the time, I use one of those free services. I am in the low 800s on all three major credit bureaus. Now, to keep it there
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    gcz8tm6t05v3.jpg
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I lost a pound last week. Slow going these days but I'l take it.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--A pound is significant; it represents progress. One pound a week is a loss of 52 pounds in one year if that rate is maintained.

5luys9d0nmr5.jpg
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Maryanne--A pound is significant; it represents progress. One pound a week is a loss of 52 pounds in one year if that rate is maintained.
    That simple fact is why it's so hard to believe I have such trouble losing 50 pounds. Well, I'm going to keep on keeping on.

That meme/photo is hilarious!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jack and I crossed the Potomac today. Twice. Took him to see his internist in Fairfax VA.

I guess it's all the Hamilton/Founding Fathers stuff that had me focusing on crossing the Potomac today. Where we crossed it's not much of a river.

The doctor agreed with me that it's not yet time to redo the cleaning out of his nose and we re-affirmed our overall plan. We're going to try to give him all the quality time we can.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Had a Special K breakfast sandwich and am now having yogurt for a mid-morning snack.

On a positive note, I get my real FICO scores and reports once a year from MyFico. The rest of the time, I use one of those free services. I am in the low 800s on all three major credit bureaus. Now, to keep it there

Good job on the credit score! I sort of cheated. Moved the rest of my cat credit card debt to my 401k account. One of those "do what I say not what I do moments". But it means it will be automatically paid off by the time I retire from my monthly paycheck and gets it off my credit score. I'm hoping that having purchased health insurance for the cats will help going forward. So far with Jessicat it certainly is. Not so much with Jack because his issues are pre-existing conditions.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I need ideas to use the tomato crop which is starting! I pulled out my favorite recipe from last summer - basically a fancy version of tomatoes and mozzarella - but low cal it isn't. What I'm planning to do this evening is have a small helping of that with a big plate of vegetables.

The other thing we're getting a zillion of (leaving aside the cucumbers which I won't touch) is green beans. Unfortunately for some reason I hate them. I love the steam in bags fresh ones you get at the grocery store. Hate the ones from the garden. Go figure.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--Jack will appreciate all that you are doing for him. Fresh green beans? Don't do them. I can remember when I was a kid and the family had a garden. I got so tired of stringing beans. I far prefer steamer bag veggies.

I got on the scale this morning to see if it is budging, and the answer is a big "No!" I had the Kellogg's breakfast sandwich and a serving of low fat greek yogurt so far today. Whatever I eat the rest of the day and tomorrow has to be low fiber and no red meats, or anything red. I'll be interested to see what the scale says after the purge I do on Thursday.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I wish DH would grow sugar snaps instead of green beans. At least the green beans are stringless.