2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,598 Member
    Options
    Jean - SO glad to hear the great news! (and yes propofol is wonderful)

The first cherry tomato recipe of the season turned out pretty well. Even DH said it was pretty good. It was a trifle strange color-wise because our early crop is almost all orange tomatoes. Not what one thinks of for tomato sauce. I definitely think I'll add some tomato paste next time, just to thicken a little, but I think that's the only thing I'd change.

I was going to use half the box of spaghetti but then realized the danged box was 13.5 ounces. Geesh!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Maryanne--I'm one of those who believes tomatoes should be red. I'm trying to picture orange sauce. I'm sure the recipe was still good.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I LOVE orange and yellow tomatoes so DH grows a lot of those. But you're right - for tomato sauce it's a little strange. I don't do much cooking from recipes so it was fun for a change.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I slept like a log last night. 7 straight hours without getting up. The propofol must have been working yet.

I had that Smart Ones breakfast item to finish it off but won't be buying it again as it does not satisfy. Now, to eat the low fat greek yogurt.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,791 Member
    Options
    I saw on one of the cooking shows that you should cook tomato paste for a couple of minutes before adding it to your recipe. I think Mario Batali was the one that said to do it. It deepens the flavor of what your cooking. Great news on your test Jean.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Jean, I'm glad you got a good report from your test, and happy you enjoyed a good night's rest afterward. It was considerate of Midnight to let you rest!

I had my annual well woman check on Wednesday, which I never look forward to. I like my doctor, but that just isn't an enjoyable exam. I anticipated being scolded about my weight, and my BP was elevated. I had been conscious of not feeling very well for several days, as well as having an annoying headache, so her recommendation was to monitor the BP for a few days and if it remained high, to then see my PCP about it. I checked it several times the rest of that day and the next and the numbers were fluctuating but always higher than they should be, so on Friday I made the appointment with my PCP and was able to see her the same day. As expected, I am now back on medication for hypertension and strongly advised to try to lose at least 10 pounds, and preferably 20. I started the medication yesterday and already feel much better. The headache is mostly gone and I have more energy today. I hate that I'm back on the medication, but hopefully if I can lose weight it will be temporary. When I lost weight before I was able to stop the medication, so I know it is possible.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Pam--I know that you hate getting back on the meds but if it helps you then perhaps it is a good move. As you said, when you lost the weight before, you were able to stop the meds. That is motivation to lose.

Helene--You and Maryanne are going to get me started watching cooking shows. I might watch but simplicity rules with me.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Have to love test preps. According to the scale, I weigh 2 pounds more than I did last Sunday after a low fiber, low cal diet and the "purging."
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Have to love test preps. According to the scale, I weigh 2 pounds more than I did last Sunday after a low fiber, low cal diet and the "purging."

To that scale - boo hiss!!!
  • KonaKat
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Maryanne--I read that the salt in those preps can cause some people to gain weight. Time will tell. I climbed back on this morning and was rewarded with a half pound loss but we all know how scales operate.

I had Quaker Weight Control oatmeal with fresh blueberries added. I may not lose weight but I try to eat healthy.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I lost a pound last week. I'm now down 35 pounds from my all-time high. This is almost exactly the weight I was last year at this time. I quit weighing at that point. I'm absolutely determined not to do that this year.

I'm watching the 10-year update on My 600-lb Life Melissa and Ashley. They're both struggling. I guess we're not the only ones.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--Congrats! You will not quit weighing!!!! If we have to remind you, you will not quit weighing!! Note to self---I will not quit weighing or logging food.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,791 Member
    Options
    Maryanne, that's a big accomplishment. Keep doing what your are doing. It's working. And we'll remind you to weight at least once a week if oyu don't report your results yourself. Great job.
  • PamS53
    Options
    Good job, Maryanne!
  • PamS53
    Options
    You have found the plan that works for you, now you just have to keep working the plan!

I'm still trying to figure out my plan, but I'm working on it.

I made a really good and easy dinner tonight. We both really liked it. I used chicken tenders, zucchini, red onion, and baby carrots, but the recipe said to use broccoli, carrots, and cherry tomatoes. I didn't have broccoli or tomatoes on hand, so I subbed in what I had and it was delicious. All you do is combine equal parts of fat free Zesty Italian dressing and Balsamic Vinegar (2/3 cup of each was the amount, but I thought it was quite a lot more than you needed) and pour about half of that over about a pound and a half of chicken tenders. Let that marinate for 30 minutes to 6 hours. In the meantime, cut up your veggies and pour a little of the remaining marinade over them then toss to coat. I added salt and pepper as well. Spread them out on a sheet pan that is sprayed with Pam (I lined mine with foil first), then bake at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Make room on the sheet and add the chicken and bake for about 7-15 minutes more, depending on the thickness of the chicken (I baked mine the full 15 minutes). Serve over rice or quinoa, and heat the remaining marinade to use as a sauce. DH really liked it and so did I, especially the minimal amount of prep time and easy clean up!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Pam - that sounds really good! I'm a fan of the new no stick foil.

I wonder if I could get DH to eat spiralized vegetables instead of spaghetti in the cherry tomato recipe. All the stores here sell them now. I know I could eat those and give him spaghetti but I LOVE spaghetti and I think that's one thing I'm not willing to watch him eat while I don't. There aren't a lot of those but there are a few.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Maryanne--Congrats! You will not quit weighing!!!! If we have to remind you, you will not quit weighing!! Note to self---I will not quit weighing or logging food.

Yes, reminders are good! When I look back at last year and see that I just stopped weighing I can't help but wonder why the heck....... I honestly don't remember.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Maryanne, that's a big accomplishment. Keep doing what your are doing. It's working. And we'll remind you to weight at least once a week if oyu don't report your results yourself. Great job.

Not weighing gets me nowhere obviously so time to cut that out!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I weighed in this morning; still haven't lost the weight I gained during the colonoscopy prep. Is it what I'm eating or the reality that I haven't made a trip to the bathroom for a bm since the colonoscopy. Oh well! I logged my breakfast of the Special K breakfast sandwich.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I weighed in this morning; still haven't lost the weight I gained during the colonoscopy prep. Is it what I'm eating or the reality that I haven't made a trip to the bathroom for a bm since the colonoscopy. Oh well! I logged my breakfast of the Special K breakfast sandwich.

Probably the latter!!