2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,599 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be giving me the "150 minutes a week" spiel from internist to endocrinologist. So that's my goal for now.

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    I'm learning the meaning of terms used by FitBit monitoring. I knew the site web or app recorded active minutes and you had to have ten of them as a minimum. Yesterday, I was sure that I had done 13 minutes but was only granted 10. Why? Active minutes are described as minutes in which the intensity is higher than the norm. If you pause or slow down, those minutes are not counted.

Your Fitbit tracker recognizes and awards active minutes when the activity you're doing is more strenuous than regular walking, which includes everything from a brisk walk to a cardio workout or run.

How do I earn active minutes?

You earn active minutes for activities at or above about 3 METs. (Metabolic Equivalents)  To stay in line with the Center for Disease Control's (CDC’s) “10 minutes at a time is fine” concept, minutes are only awarded after 10 minutes of continuous moderate-to-intense activity. You can view the CDC’s recommendations on the CDC website. 

Yours truly racked up 62 active minutes yesterday and 66 active minutes today so it was more intense than regular walking.

I linked MFP to FitBit so the information sharing and results are fascinating. I had read of people eating back part of the calories earned through exercise. As long as you are good to go with food on the FitBit app or site, you have a green icon. On MFP, it tells you that you have earned "x" number of calories to increase the amount of food you can eat. I guess for people who don't measure food, etc., this could backfire.....and for those who can't lose much on a 1200 calorie diet then "eating back" calories earned through exercise is not a good move.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Followers of Extreme Weight Loss will enjoy these tips which make much sense:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/how-lose-weight-according-personal-trainers-ncna784191?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit!

The funny thing is that I awakened to find that my FitBit had rewarded me with a day's worth of steps during the night. The website said it was a bug that would go away and that they were "working on it."

Now, to walk or not to walk?
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    We went to DH's evaluation. It went well and he starts exercise classes tomorrow. He'll go M/W/F and they expect him to exercise 2 days at home. It runs 32 sessions and there's 45 minutes of education before the class. I can go to that part. I'll bring a book to keep me busy while he's exercising. I'm glad he's finally in the classes. He's been waiting for an opening since June.
  • KonaKat
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Helene--Glad DH's evaluation went well. It sounds as if he has a good plan for exercising ahead, and you can also participate in the education part.

Maryanne--How is the 150 minutes a week going?

Pam--Have you found the exercise motivation? It is so hard!
  • Helene610
    Options
    Today's topic is sodium. I'm sure I can do better about watching it in our diets. I read the nutrition labels and avoid buying anything with a lot of sodium. I'm sure I can do better with more education. It's interesting the first tpic is something I could use.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--sodium lurks nearly everywhere, but the place that it is hardest to control is in restaurants and frozen/canned food. Yes, it is a topic of great use to everyone. I hope the remaining educational sessions are as useful to you as well as DH.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Morning, everyone! Let's make this a good day. I'll be off to get my hair cut and colored, as well as nails done.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Just went to Town Hall to pay taxes. We get billed quarterly but it's still a good sized bill. We had a couple of other errands to run so we'll stop at Subway on the way home to pick up lunch. I'l leaning towards a salad but I'll decide for sure when I get there. So afr today, I've had toast and coffee for breakfast.

Our county sent out property tax bills, then decided they were wrong and attempted to get the word out. I found out on "Nextdoor" and told DH. I guess getting the word out is hard these days when most people don't read a newspaper or watch local news. Anyway, our revised bill (down about $250) came yesterday.
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Quaker Weight Control oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast followed by 20minutes of walking. Gained one pound for weigh in. Now, if I am to believe MFP, I should lose 8 pounds in five weeks but it goes up instead of down but I have a history of gaining when starting exercise. Not very motivating.

Yeah, that result would be severely de-motivating!! I'm going to try for 150 minutes a week on the treadmill (which so far is going pretty well), continue to feed the colonies, and add a few extra steps when I can. I already park far away when I go places. I just don't go places very often. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Helene610 wrote: »
    We went to DH's evaluation. It went well and he starts exercise classes tomorrow. He'll go M/W/F and they expect him to exercise 2 days at home. It runs 32 sessions and there's 45 minutes of education before the class. I can go to that part. I'll bring a book to keep me busy while he's exercising. I'm glad he's finally in the classes. He's been waiting for an opening since June.

I'm glad the evaluation went well and hope the exercise does too!

• Helene610
    Options
    Cutting sodium is going to be a challenge. I spent over an hour in the grocery store and I had 20 items so I could go through the express line. About a third of the order was produce. By the time I scanned for sodium, put items back and found more acceptable product numbers, I'd spent over an hour. I'll have to start making lists of products I use a lot and that are okay so I don't have to check them every time. Lucky for me I'm retired.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I don't go many places either to park and walk. The 150 minutes a week sounds good.

Helene--It is rough in the beginning but once you know what products can meet your low sodium needs then you will not have to sort though things to find acceptable items.

l71k2t2tyehk.jpg
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I just finished my 15 minutes of "active minutes." The HR was 120 but I consider that high as my resting HR is 57. The other 45 active minutes will be earned throughout the day. I did get 1747 steps during the 15 minutes.
  • mdubbs1
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Helene - that SO does not sound like fun! Considering the population of the US that's overweight - and thus with cardiac risk factors - you'd think the demand for less sodium would be overwhelming. Are there any specialty sources online or anything?

???

http://healthyheartmarket.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-GH-dWF1vU3J_TWpS4eHxdrmZ2q4KA5H7vKwCge1E-1dljR3y9vSMxoCkZ4QAvD_BwE

Jean - that list is hilarious.

This week I saw the new cardiologist (mine retired - bless her heart; not impressed at all with new one but not all her fault; the system Hopkins has them using (which involves them sitting at a computer and answering questions rather than talking to patients) is why mine was upset enough to retire) and the retina doc (no new tears - YEAH!). Sitting in waiting rooms gets old really fast! I was listening to a mother/daughter duo at the eye doctors. Mom was bitching about the wait. Daughter was like we either wait or we find you a new doctor - you choose. If you want this doctor we wait. (And she's right - the wait is always ridiculous there.) Eye doctor recently (around the beginning of the year) added a TV. I hate that! At first it was tuned to the news. Now it plays commercials for eye treatments, eyelid surgery, etc. Oh, joy!

• mdubbs1
    Options
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    I think the limit is time-related. You can edit a post for up to one hour after it is posted.
  • KonaKat
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Maryanne--I think the limit is an hour I'll check after I post this. I just checked after I posted.. The limit is one hour.

The doctor's assistant is the one who does all the laptop, etc. inquiries, who then shares the info before he/she comes in for the appointment at which time he/she sumararizes the info, gives status update, asks questions and gives you time to ask questions.