2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Pam--Yes, the scale is frustrating. I guess the only thing I can do is add a lot of exercise but that kills my knees.

Maryanne--Have you ever uses grow boxes? I have had three of them for several years. The first year I had one, I had one tomato plant that produced 75 big tomatoes. I also had cherry tomatoes planted in one and was tired of all the little tomatoes produced. This year, I just planted cherry tomatoes and mini-peppers. For full size tomatoes, you can plant two plants per box.

http://www.agardenpatch.com/

This was my first tomato from the grow box:

56bye01k00h8.jpg
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    You could grow cherry tomatoes in a container next year. That's the only way we grow them anymore. I read of a tomato fungus a couple of years ago. Many of the plants sold were infected. Planting in the same spot the next year could infect the new plants. Maybe that happened with your plants this year. I might have mentioned gaining a couple pounds because of the humidity. I couldn't get my favorite shes on either. The humidity is gone, the shoes fit and the fluid weight is gone too. Maybe that's where your half pound came from. Good that your using it to spur you to pay better attention to the small stuff. Pam, great news about your friend's husband's progress. I hope it continues to improve.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--I think container planting is the way to go. I also agree about the humidity. My fingers are so swollen that it is hard to wear my rings that are normally a little loose. I've been trying to drink more water.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I found this calculator to estimate calories needed and expected weight loss per week or per year. According to it, I'll be lucky to lose 0.6 pounds a week based upon calories in plus level of exercise:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • KonaKat
    Options
    O.K, I decided to use that link to see if I had 3 to 5 hours of moderate exercise, how much weight it said I would likely lose in a week. I went from 0.6 pounds to 0.8 pounds a week.

It is a beautiful sunny day, one I started with Quaker Weight Control oatmeal with blueberries added. Tomorrow, we are expecting more storms, rain, flooding, etc. I guess I should do something today. Friday morning, we are expecting a power outage of several hours while the company works on the lines. If not, Friday it will be Monday should weather not permit outage.
  • Helene610
    Options
    I saw the eye surgeon on Monday. I'd complained to my eye doctor about having vision problems with my left eye last fall. She told me I had a slight film on my left eye. Both eyes have implants after cataract surgery 3-4 years ago. It's not uncommon to develop a film behind the lenses. I felt my vision getting worse while I was in FL and I'd describe it like looking through cellophane. I had her refer me back to the surgeon. He will be doing a laser procedure on both eyes in August, 2 weeks apart. The procedure is five minutes long and if all goes as planned, my vision should be as good as it was following the original surgeries. I haven't really noticed the film in the right eye because the contrast is so great, But if I didn't have both done, it would probably drive me crazy. So I'm glad he's going to take care of both eyes very soon. He said about 50% of people develop a film after cataract surgery. DH had his eyes done several years before I did and he has no film. I asked if there was a genetic component because my mom needed the laser treatment a few years after her surgeries, He didn't know and hadn't seen any studies about that. I'm probably the first person to ask hi that question.

Like jean, we have a beautiful day today after rain and gloom the last 2 days. Plus it was quite chilly Monday and Tuesday.

I think I might low into those grow boxes for FL. That tomato looks delicious.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Helene--I hope the eye procedure goes well. Our vision is so important and not to be taken for granted.

I made a run to the city to stock up on groceries. The store was packed and all registers open. I hope severe weather isn't coming to motivate everyone to hit the store as Wednesday is normally a slow day
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,599 Member
    Options
    Jean - that's a good looking tomato. DH has quite a few container plants in addition to the garden. I think he'd love to have a bigger plot of land. My mother went through that. Bigger every year for years and then gradually started going smaller every year.

Helene - I hope that surgery goes well!

I've really been catching up on the doctors. I try to do them this time of year because it's as slow as it ever gets at work. I've seen the glaucoma doc, endocrinologist, and gastroenterologist and had a mammogram. Today I had my annual CT scan of my lungs (looking at my lung nodules). Coming up I have the endoscopy and the cardiologist, retina doc and oncologist. Such fun being old. NOT!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--Your DH will get disgusted with his expanded gardening efforts when the deer decide the veggies, flowers, etc. were planted for them. They have mowed down my daylilies and a new shrub I had planted. It is cheaper to go to the store and buy. Good luck with all your appointments.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Our backyard used to be completely fenced (previous owner had a large dog) but it isn't any more. We haven't had a lot of problems with wildlife. I'm sure we would if we tried to plant something like corn.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Starting the day with the usual Quaker Weight Control oatmeal with blueberries added.
  • KonaKat
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We were going to have a planned power outage for the morning. The nasty weather stopped that.

I have gained a pound this week at a time I really have tried to be good. The only answer must be to exercise, exercise, exercise. The food log has been 1200 plus or minus 50 each day for two weeks.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I ate way too much the last two days. Just the threat of the time without food for the endoscopy. So far today I'm back on track.

Not much going on today. Raining hard here and I've been working.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I guess the only way I'm going to lose weight is to exercise. I just looked at the Fitbit record of calories burned.

7ejc80oswyr4.jpg
  • Helene610
    Options
    When I first started NS 9 years ago, I did well without exercising. I'm doing similar things but pretty much no exercise. So I agree that exercise is the key to progress. Now if only I could make myself do it. DH goes for his cardiac exercise orientation on Tuesday. We've been waiting since early June for this date so we're both pretty anxious for him to start. I'm hoping he'll develop the exercise habit from 16 weeks of this. There's a nice rec center on the Island in FL which we can join at the locals rate. I think it will have similar equipment that he could use 2-3 times a week once he knows how today I'd even let him show me what to do and join him.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    FitBit includes in calories burned the basal metabolic calories from your body's normal activities just to stay alive, including during sleep. The older you get the less calories are burned, so my bmr is not much above the 1200 calories recommended for food intake. This as a little eye-opening for me.

Accordig to the  FitBit Alta HR, I have 57 active minutes with 7626 steps accomplished with 1269 calories burned. I've been using it primarily for monitoring my heart rate over the 24 hour period as well as my sleep. I might as well take advantage of the original features. The day is not over but I've been taking periods of time in which I have been walking in place, walking through house, etc. The FitBit won't register you as being active until you have at least ten consecutive minutes in activity such as walking.

Helene--I hope your DH will develop an exercise habit and you can join him. Like you, when I first started NS, I lost without worrying about exercise much.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,905 Member
    Options
    Exercise is key for me as well. When I lost 30 pounds on NS a few years ago I tried at first to do it without exercise. After 6 months I think I was only down about 10 pounds. Then I added in exercise and eventually lost the 30 pounds. It took much longer than I would have liked, but it did come off. I really need to start again, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself.
  • KonaKat
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Pam--Motivation is a major factor. I'm one of those who needs positive feedback in terms of seeing progress or I get frustrated and give up.

O.K., I'm not a big exercise fan but yesterday I gritted my teeth and started walking. At the end of the day when my FitBit Alta HR needed a charge, I had racked up 8,580 steps or 3.41 miles and had burned 1681 calories. Compare that to the prior couch potato day with 1426 calories burned and 2,189 steps. I only got 255 more calories burned plus knees that are killing me right now. Easier said than done:

“If a client has come to me looking to lose 10 pounds, I would tell them to simply move. Move more, and more often. Walk or bike ride to class or work, even park further away from your location in the parking lot. Take the stairs or take a walk during lunch. You don’t have to spend hours every day in the gym sweating, but you do have to make a conscious effort to move more, and sit less. This works great because it doesn’t feel like work and you’re burning more and more calories throughout the day.” — Ajia Cherry, personal trainer and Founder at Functional Innovative Training
  • KonaKat
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Quaker Weight Control oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast followed by 20minutes of walking. Gained one pound for weigh in. Now, if I am to believe MFP, I should lose 8 pounds in five weeks but it goes up instead of down but I have a history of gaining when starting exercise. Not very motivating.
  • Helene610
    Options
    Just went to Town Hall to pay taxes. We get billed quarterly but it's still a good sized bill. We had a couple of other errands to run so we'll stop at Subway on the way home to pick up lunch. I'l leaning towards a salad but I'll decide for sure when I get there. So afr today, I've had toast and coffee for breakfast.