2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,934 Member
    Maryanne, I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes, but one thing I do like is pico de gallo, which is chopped tomatoes, diced onion, fresh diced jalapeño pepper (seeds and ribs removed to reduce the heat), cilantro, minced garlic, and a squeeze or two of lime juice. It makes a nice salsa to put over grilled meat, or to serve with quesadillas, or as a dip with chips. Very low calorie and low fat, and easy to make. It's best served fresh, so don't make up a gallon of it unless you're having a lot of help to eat it.

I finished my baby cocoon yesterday and now I'm working on a matching hat to go with it. I don't have an exact pattern for that, so I'm improvising a little. Hopefully it will work out the way I want it to look. The cocoon was much easier than I anticipated and was very quick to knit. I don't usually like to knit in the summer, especially blankets, because I get hot with all of that wool draped over me, but this is relatively small so I didn't mind it. When finish the hat I'll try to post a picture of them.

I have my annual well woman check up tomorrow and I know I'll get a scolding as my weight is up over where it was last year and I think I got scolded then. I've been so frustrated with it because despite being careful about what I eat and portion sizes, I continue to gain. I'm not exercising and I know from past experience that exercise is the key to weight loss for me. However, as I've stated before, every time I try to start again, I end up reinjuring my back. For now I'm trying to concentrate on doing the PT exercises for my back in hopes of strengthening it enough to be able to try exercise again. I've also been taking Meloxicam which helps tremendously with my back pain, but I don't have a renewal on that. If the pain comes back after I finish my current prescription I'll have to see if my doctor will renew it.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Pam--It is understandable about your frustration about the weight gain. Exercise is a key but when it creates pain then you do want you can do. I do hope the PT exercises help.

I did some damage on Prime Day but they were items I had been considering. Part of the items are already shipped.

I did the mid-week scale check and am down 1.8 pounds after Sunday's weigh in didn't show a loss for the previous week. Now to see how much temporary weight loss will occur from the cleansing tomorrow.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,644 Member
    Pam - thanks for the tomato idea!! That's so awful about the back issues, and how much they are impacting you. Have you considered trying a different PT place? The place I went and the place DH went (briefly) were different as night and day. His seemed to be so minimal and unhelpful. Mine was so great I went for 2 years and would still be going if I hadn't had to go back to work full-time when DH was laid off. Maybe a really good physical therapist could help you identify what you can and can't do safely.

Jean - best of luck with the test!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,826 Member
    For some reason, I'm getting into the thread back when we started it, Page 1. I was having trouble getting to the end so I didn't bother posting. The same thing happened today but I persisted and found the last page. The pico de gallo sounds good and very healthy. Why don't you ask for a refill of the prescription while you're at that visit. Explain how the back pain is keeping you from being able to exercise. I hope you can get to the point where the pain eases enough for you to be able to exercise again.
    I got a much needed massage yesterday. My upper back was really achy. Sometimes, my massage therapist will tell me I have small knots in the muscles which she can feel. Yesterday, there was one large lump! I normally go every two weeks. I was such a mess that I'm going back next week. I hadn't been for a massage since December. I've been going to her about 18 years so she's the only person I'm comfortable with. I expected to see her back in May but between our medical appointments and driving Alice to her appointments, I wasn't able to fit it in until yesterday.
  • mdubbs1
  • mdubbs1
  • mdubbs1
    I bought from petfooddirect.com religiously for aeons. Then they made some changes and service got really wonky. I finally switched to chewy.com. Well, in April Petsmart bought chewy and now chewy has apparently purchased petfooddirect.com (I can't find any news stories but I got an email from petfooddirect that they will now be chewy). Pretty soon there will be two places to buy from - petsmart and petco. Probably not good news.
  • KonaKat
    edited July 2017
    Maryanne--I can add some clarifying info on that WalMart story. That county is one of the poorest in the state with extreme high unemployment. Add to that, major problems with drug addiction.

A store exists if it can serve the community and make money. It had a high rate of shop lifting as well as destruction of contents and property on an ongoing basis by the drug element.

There is another WalMart in an adjoining county that was making money whereas this one wasn't despite the number of people it could serve. Yes, it was a source of employment but the business has to survive financially. Those who depend upon it for food, employment, etc. will have to go to the adjoining county. It is a sad situation, and it is a depressing situation.

Let me put it this way; I have been in that county once; I wished I had "protection" with me. I breathed a sigh of relief when I left it. I'm sure there are great people there but they are overshadowed by the other element.

Helene--If you log into the thread and end up at the beginning of it, look for page numbers at the bottom or top. I can't remember which it is.
  • Helene610
    That's what I finally did. We're on page 21 now. I just got home from a pedicure. My big toe has been bothering me for a couple of months. I thought I had stubbed it on a tool DH left on the kitchen floor in FL. He was replacing the garbage disposal. Since I had polish on it, I couldn't see a bruise. A few weeks ago, I realized it was an ingrown toenail. I was waiting for it to grow out itself. Of course it didn't. The woman doing the pedicure pointed out the edge was red and I probably needed to go to the doctor. My health care practice is right across the street and they have a walk in clinic for registered patients. My husband's doctor was on clinic duty. I like her a lot. She's being transferred to another branch next month one town over. I told her we'd be following her because we like her. She was pleased. She prescribed an antibiotic, a topical cream and told me to soak it 3 times a day. She gave me a referral to a podiatrist if I'm not better by the time I finish the antibiotic. DH has only been a patient for a year but she knows exactly who we are and all about DH's cardiac history. She's a keeper. I told her I was telling DH that she said to wait on me hand and foot. LOL
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - that's so sad about that county!

Helene - that's amazing that you found such a doctor!
  • KonaKat
    edited July 2017
    Helene--It sounds as if you and DH have really found a "keeper." I do hope the antibiotic works but if it is really an in-grown toe nail causing the inflammation, it will have to be cut out.

Maryanne--This is another look at the McDowell County situation. Yes, it is sad and I can see people being so depressed that they feel there is no future for them. This focuses upon the people and the conditions:

https://www.sanders.senate.gov/life-in-mcdowell-county

Lemon jello and black coffee for breakfast. Yum, yum!
  • PamS53
    iioh5ycn4dhj.jpg
    I finished it!
  • Helene610
    I was in the middle of posting and my post disappeared. Grrr. Pam, the cocoon is lovely. The mom will love it. Jean, what a sad story about the folks in W VA and their lack of access to basic necessities. I haven't done much today. I took a friend to the next town to pick up a rental car while her's is being repaired. Her sons worked for the restaurant owner for many years. My friend spotted him going into the restaurant and greet him with a big hug while I oarked the car. We had a lovely lunch on the outdoor patio. When it came time for the check, we discovered he had comped lunch. What a lovely and unexpected gesture. He must have been really glad to see her since she said he didn't normally do things like that.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - those are too cute! Hopefully you get a picture of the baby in the cocoon with his/her sock monkey!
  • mdubbs1
    I guess the Biggest Loser has actually been cancelled: http://jezebel.com/the-biggest-loser-has-been-canceled-good-1796836651
  • mdubbs1
    Cherry tomatoes. I think I'll try this recipe first, use whole wheat pasta, and have a small serving with a large serving of green vegetables: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pasta-with-15-minute-burst-cherry-tomato-sauce-56390060

What the heck is "kosher salt"?
  • PamS53
    Kosher salt comes in a big squarish box. It's much coarser than regular table salt. It's often used in the old fashioned ice cream makers with crushed ice to lower the temperature around the ice cream canister to make the mixture freeze. I see it listed in cooking a lot now. I suppose it gives a more concentrated burst of flavor than the finer grain you typically use from a shaker.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--You motivated me to look it up:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/kosher-table-sea-salt-differences-need-to-know

We are expecting bad storms tonight with flood warnings. We have to leave at 6:30am to get to the outpatient surgery center 60+ miles away so we can make the early appointment they have for me They called shortly before 4pm to let me know when to report.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - Good luck on the trip and the test! I have an early doctor appointment Tuesday. I looked at the calendar and thought "why did I let them do that to me????".

Very interesting about the salt! It also apparently isn't iodized. The only version I found at the store came in a round container just like regular table salt.

I've purchased a bunch of ingredients for these cherry tomato recipes I found including kosher salt and sea salt. Also have my version of basil and garlic (they sell them in a tube; much more my speed than fresh leaves or "cloves" LOL!)

• KonaKat
    Maryanne--Good luck on the appointment; I had the same thoughts about today's appointment. Have fun with your cherry tomatoes.

Got home at 2 pm after having a small lunch of soup and salad. I was full with just the salad but the combo tasted so good. I was a little sleepy so I went to bed to read, and fell asleep and woke up at 5pm, thanks to Midnight. That propofol really works; no wonder Michael Jackson liked it.

A good report; the results were negative.