2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    After yesterday's rainy day, the sunshine today is very welcomed. I . the day with the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal with ground flaxseed added.

Maryanne--It is always good to be around cat people. Congrats upon thr weight loss. Keep up the great work.

TV coverage could make anyone consider changing their mind. Yesterday was the first anniversary of the killing of 49 people in Orlando. I don't think that has stopped many from visiting the Disney area. Of course, yesterday's shooting spree resulted in that little nugget of info.

• KonaKat
    Options
    The top five causes of fake hunger:

http://drjohnday.com/tell-really-hungry-not/
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I do think there are multiple reasons I overeat. Everything from habit to boredom to loving food to anxiety to a certain level of food addiction. Have to work on controlling them all!

I'm off to the vet today to get food and then swinging by a grocery store on that side of town to see if they have Jessicat's ham!

Jessicat came out to the kitchen this morning at feeding time. I give Indy a plate first, which keeps her occupied, and then prepare everyone else's plate. Jessie wasn't bothering Indy. She was just sitting and waiting patiently for her own plate. But Indy knows Jessie is fierce and she was perturbed. Hissed and growled and ran off, leaving Jessie sitting placidly watching her go. I'm sure she was thinking "what got into her?" LOL!
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--You should write a book about your cats. Midnight stared at me this morning until I got out of bed to feed him. There is nothing like a cat sitting by your head giving you the look.

I got up at 5:30 am to put out the trash. I had one of those unhealthy Special K breakfast sandwiches which I love, and did some outside work. I also made an appointment with the primary. I need to have some lab work redone again. Apparently, I failed some of the tests. I called the urologst who wants to see the results.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I wonder how much of a market there would be for a book about the Dubbs cats. LOL! They surely are characters.

Indy is starting to search for "her place" in the family/hierarchy. My late mother used to complain about cats there were always rubbing against your legs. I never understood why she would complain about that since we almost never had a cat and they were NEVER inside. But Indy is that kind. First one we've ever had. I go to the kitchen and she's rubbing and rubbing. And she flicks her tail. I'm terrified of stepping on her tail. With most cats you just grovel and move on but I really get the feeling she's been physically abused (just her reactions) and I don't want to make her feel anything but safe here. She's now started to go upstairs and that has everyone else all confused.

A friend with serious mobility issues has a cat that has suddenly decided to make a dash for the outside. It's very hard for her to corral him and get him back, especially since he freaks. She had a ripped up thumb this week. She has all these people telling her to euthanize him. I'm appalled almost beyond words. I've told her what she needs to do - most especially turn her porch into an air lock. I finally said "you need to make this a priority". We're the humans. I truly believe we can always outsmart them. I've told her I'll do anything she needs to help make it happen - including contributing funds. Luckily she has both a neighbor and a friend that are quite capable of making it happen. She doesn't have to go out looking for contractors.

I need to hunker down and get work done today and this weekend. It's piling up!

I've come up with a new theme day. I have packet day, NS day, JC day, frozen day and variety day. I have enough new stuff around here right now that I can do "experiment day". Should be interesting...........

I drove around to the store the other day that was still carrying Jessicat's ham. They have finally discontinued it. The good news is I won't have to drive over there any more. Jessicat is fine because she likes the organic maple ham from the Giant. I hate it! So I've lost my dependable protein snack source. Sometimes I just feel like I need protein. I've started buying a rotisserie chicken as a substitute. If it starts being detrimental to losing I'll have to try something else or at least be more careful about measuring and weighing. That was the nice thing about the ham - it was delicious and I knew the calorie count per slice.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,790 Member
    Options
    Maryanne, you'll probably save on the sodium with the chicken versus the ham. I can't imagine that it would make you gain. You can slice and measure out the right amount. You gave good advice to your friend about providing a safe place for the cat. I take it she can get on to an enclosed porch without going outside. Is so, opening the porch door and letting the cat run out there before she goes outside is smart. I'm figuring she must have a second door she can use to get out once the cat is safely on the porch. If she makes a ritual of doing that, the cat will be safe and not run outside as she leaves. Cheyenne was very interested in escaping when we came in and out. We had to use our foot or a purse to block the door when we came in. Nine times out of ten, she was lurking by the door ready to make a dash outside. Once she and Cagney had their falling out, Cheyenne rarely wanted to come out of the bedroom so that solved the outdoor problem. Cagney had no interest in the outside world. She knew she had it made living in a nice, warm house with treats and laps.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,790 Member
    Options
    We had a long day yesterday, driving to CT to the dentist. It was just for cleanings but we have to go back in a couple of weeks. DH has a couple of small cavities and I have to have an impression made for the crown to finish off the implant I got in December. I'm thinking of telling him to skip a temporary crown. It's way in the back and nobody will see it. I can eat normally without a temp. That should shorten the appointment a bit. Then I'll have to go back in July to get the permanent crown. The cleaning went well so I shouldn't need any big items done for a while, once the crown is complete.

I see my doctor next week for a check up. I'm hoping my BP is okay. It was up the last two times with the stress over DH's heart condition. I would like to avoid going on another medication if I can help it.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    The porch as air lock is a safety valve. We've started locking our back porch. If a cat gets out there, we bring him/her back in before we leave. If necessary, we pop into a carrier. That's what I figure she can do. The porch will make sure he doesn't get any farther than the porch. If he gets that far she can take him back inside and pop him in a carrier before she starts to bring in anything from the porch. Tedious, multi-step process, but it should work if she's careful. Because of her mobility issues, she has a lot of things delivered and it takes time and effort for her to drag them inside. Gives him too much opportunity to bolt.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    This morning I need to feed the colonies and then go get rid of my gray roots!

I'm going to have a Smart Ones breakfast and have packed water and a NS lunch bar to take along to the hairdressers since I'll be gone over lunch.

I'm debating getting a Kindle Fire to watch on the treadmill. Seems like a lot of things aren't coming out on DVD any more but just "streaming". E.g I'd love to watch the Harry Bosch series. And for some reason My 600-lb Life is being inspiring to me this summer. The question is whether I'd use it enough to justify having yet another two things around here that need charging (the kindle fire and the headphones).
  • KonaKat
    Options
    I chose to be lazy today simply because I'm tired. I did have a decent day of food. I indulged in a Smart Ones Southwestern enchilada creation for dinner which was decent.

Maryanne--As inexpensive as the Fires are now, I wouldn't hesitate to indulge in buying one. When not streaming while exercising, you could also read, or do other things. I have a small one, and I also have a 10 inch Samsung tablet.
  • KonaKat
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Oh my! I'm watching an episode of "My 600 Lb Life," in which Dr. Now really gets upset, first with a member of the family who insisted on feeding the patient whenever he wanted food. Then he talked with the patient, who was complaining that he was hungry and needed food. Dr. Now responded, "You aren't starving; you have 600 pounds of food in you." It was a little funny but at the same time it is a very sad state of affairs.

The patient weighed 790 pounds. It would be extremely difficult to go from six eggs and six sausage patties for breakfast to 1200 calories a day.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I rewatched Nikki's first episode the other day. Her poor dad sits there and plaintively says - in all apparent sincerity - that he can't tell where the fine line is between helping and enabling - and Dr. Now looks over NIkki's barely mobile form, turns back to the dad, and says something like "if it's killing her, it's enabling". Of course Nikki was still driving so could get fast food.

I'm sure that's the argument for the surgery. That 1200 calories a day wouldn't begin to fill up their stomachs. which Dr. Now often describes as the size of a watermelon.

Sometimes I try to imagine the pioneers being transported forward in time into this society of excess. They had to work hard physically to provide even a subsistence diet. I can't imagine many of them were overweight. I always imagine they'd be totally flabbergasted.

I continue to plug away. I lost a pound and a half last week. I'm 29 1/2 pounds below my all-time high. I have 28 1/2 left to go to a normal BMI.

In addition to the A1C results, another factor I need to keep in the front of my mind is that one of these days I'm going to have to have my thryoid removed. I don't know what havoc that will wreak on my weight. If I could get a handle on it now, would probably be a good idea.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--Congrats upon the continued weight loss. I agree with you about the pioneers. They were kept so busy that they didn't have time to think about food in between basic meals and the activity compensated for the calories in the meals.

I'm basically maintaining right now but I really need to get back on the weight loss track. I really liked the Omaha Steaks burgers and the calories were acceptable. I just ordered a special of them, so I will have them twice a week. In addition, the NS shipment will soon go out.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I had to make an unscheduled trip to the office to deliver a trap and carriers to one of my bosses who was just there for a few hours (long story).

On my way home, I saw that the parking lot of the church near us was FILLED with fire trucks, ambulances and police cars. DH had just come home the opposite direction and saw two streets closed off. Turns out it was a man holding a women hostage in a house just one street over from us. Later in mid afternoonwe heard two booms in quick succession. Not long after that media was reporting a murder suicide. OMG that boom was the last moments of that poor woman's life. I think I'm pretty tough but I'm a little shaky right now.
  • mdubbs1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Time to think about something else. Thought I'd share my ticker. I'm about at the half-way point. Starting point is my highest ever weight. Ending point is just barely normal BMI. I missed my treadmill time this morning thanks to my boss. Also screwed up packet day. You pretty much have to be mostly home for packet day.

weight.png

• KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I hope you don't have bad dreams tonight. It is interesting that you brought up the ticker. I think it helps us to visualize how far we have come and how far we have to go. I'm about the midpoint also, and am finding the last half one the one that doesn't seem to happen. I realize part of it is lack of adherence to the program, etc. Just one pound a week would make me a skinny person but I also know at my age, I don't want skin hanging all over because skin doesn't shrink much now.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    I went back over my weight logs and realized I've been in a rut for far longer than I've realized. That was also a real slap to the side of the head. Somehow I need to figure out how to do this. If I don't want to be diabetic; if I want to keep my independence; and if I don't want to get trapped with thyroid surgery while I'm still this weight. I'm not quite sure the right way to get there. Giving it a lot of thought. Just today I was looking at the overeaters anonymous online meetings schedule. Doesn't feel quite right to me about that but part of me thinks I need something.
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne--I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. Yes, you have lost, stalled, gained and lost again but look at the big picture. You are half way there. You made it this far; I think with your growing realization and dedication that you will make it.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Over the years my motivation has morphed from appearance to health reasons. I need to focus on that!

• mdubbs1
    Options
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Maryanne-Just one pound a week would make me a skinny person but I also know at my age, I don't want skin hanging all over because skin doesn't shrink much now.

That thought drives me crazy sometimes. Why can't I lose a pound - or even half a pound - every week. And stick to it. In a year I'd be at goal, it would seem almost without effort. But obviously it's not without effort or it would be happening!