2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    I was just reading an article last night in Reader's Digest that mentioned the huge percentage of these children that will never be employed. 2/3 of autistic kids have no plans for a job or further education after high school. Their unemployment rate as young adults is much higher than young adults with intellectual disabilities or speech impairment or emotional disabilities. So sad!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Have you seen the new show The Good Doctor? A young autistic man becomes a surgeon but encounters ridicule and misunderstand from many co-worker. It's an interesting series.
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, I emailed you a cute group animal phone since you don't do FB. Comcast recently updated their email program and since DH is the primary account holder, his name will show up instead of mine. He couldn't send an email if his life depended on by email look like they are coming from me. Hopefully you still have email address you had back in the NS days. The subject line says Great group animal photos so you'll know if's from me.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Have you seen the new show The Good Doctor? A young autistic man becomes a surgeon but encounters ridicule and misunderstand from many co-worker. It's an interesting series.

Last week I DVR'd Scorpion and The Brave but I did watch The Good Doctor "On Demand" (tiresome because you can't fast forward). I was intrigued by The Good Doctor and I really did NOT like The Brave so this week I DVR'd The Good Doctor but haven't watched it yet.

(I'm also sort of tired of Scorpion but haven't given up DVR'ing it yet.)

• mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Maryanne, I emailed you a cute group animal phone since you don't do FB. Comcast recently updated their email program and since DH is the primary account holder, his name will show up instead of mine. He couldn't send an email if his life depended on by email look like they are coming from me. Hopefully you still have email address you had back in the NS days. The subject line says Great group animal photos so you'll know if's from me.

Same email. Creature of habit here.

Those photos are fantastic!!
  • mdubbs1
    mchaysbjzyvm.png
  • Helene610
    mdubbs1 wrote: »

Thanks for the links to updates. Somehow I missed the aqua dump. I must have been snoozing. I love reading the behind the scenes stuff. It explains some of their actions which aren't obvious after editing.

I agree those animal photos were gorgeous and touching.
  • Helene610
    My favorite was the black cats on the park benches. LOL
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I’m enjoying The Good Doctor, too. So many autistic individuals don’t get early intervention, which can make such a huge difference in their verbal and social skills. A friend was describing the behavior of her young grandson a couple of years ago, which I recognized as possibly Aspergers but more likely autism. I recommended that they have the child evaluated by a psychiatrist and/or psychologist and fortunately they did it. He was diagnosed with autism and immediately enrolled in a variety of therapies. He now is doing very well and I believe he’s just started pre-kindergarten. They had no idea that his behaviors indicated a serious problem. He was their second child and first son and they were attributing much of his behavior as just the difference between a relatively easy-going daughter and a very active boy. He exhibited many of the classic symptoms, so I was fairly confident in my recommendation. My friend has thanked me many times for alerting them to the issue so that they could get him into the programs that made such a difference.

I finally feel like I’m caught up around here since our vacation. The laundry mountain was the biggest issue to be tackled. I still need to do some cleaning, but I’ll get to that tomorrow or the next day. Tomorrow a friend is taking me out to lunch for my birthday, and I also need to bake some cookies for DH to take to a church luncheon. The theme is comfort food, so I thought I’d make some old fashioned iced oatmeal cookies. DH loves oatmeal cookies but doesn’t like them with raisins. I find those a little bland, but if I put a vanilla glaze on them I enjoy them, too. Hopefully there won’t be too many left for me to enjoy, though!
  • mdubbs1
    I sort of liked the black cat on the black rug.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - your friend is really lucky you spotted the grandson's issues.

BUT oatmeal cookies without raisins? Does that truly exist? LOL!!!
  • Helene610
    edited October 2017
    I vote for raisins as well. I need raisins in a bowl of oatmeal as well or else it's too bland. I didn't realize you had a birthday this month. Mine was on Wednesday. We went out to dinner with a friend. It was lovely. I hope your day is just as nice. What you did for your friend's child was wonderful. Many people would hesitate to get involved for fear the parents wouldn't take the comments constructively. You made such a difference in the quality of that boy's life.
  • mdubbs1
    I also need raisins in oatmeal. I keep those tiny boxes in a zip loc bag.

Cold cereal, OTOH, needs bananas.

Happy belated birthday ladies!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Forum on this week's episode of The Good Doctor: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/62147-s01e02-mount-rushmore/#comment-3694084

I do not know WHY it didn't occur to me to ask why they didn't reattach the kidney. I mean, Jack is sitting right here with his single remaining kidney; I can't say I don't know about kidney transplants. I'm guessing the arrogant doctor just wasn't a transplant surgeon and wasn't about to try but that never was mentioned or even came up?
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    My birthday is Sunday, so y’all aren’t late yet for it. Happy Belated Birthday to you, Helene! I didn’t realize that you are also an October woman.

I never thought about reattaching the kidney, either. I can’t think of any logical reason that they couldn’t have done it, but I’m not a doctor, obviously.
  • Helene610
    I wondered why they didn't reattach the kidney but after reading the comments from Maryanne's link, maybe the surgeon didn't have transplant skills. I wonder of some of the characters who are dismissive of Sean will change when they get to know him and appreciate his skills.
  • mdubbs1
    I guess it's possible that the drugs the person would have had to be on after a kidney transplant (don't know if those anti rejection drugs would still be needed for your own kidney?) would interfere with post surgery cancer treatment (I would assume they would treat the patient for any random cancer cells still left in their body). Or maybe I'm reading WAY too much into it. LOL!
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited October 2017
    I've never seen or heard of the program you all have been discussing, so I googled it. I'm in bed reading at 10am for a half hour before going to sleep as I get up at 5am. I have to get in six hours of sleep. I did see that the actor was the one who starred in Bates Motel, in which he was so, so good. He did evil transformation so well.

I have a cardiologist appointment in the coming week and a dermatologist appointment on the 23rd. That will be $80 out of pocket minimum....and people want to know why retired people work!

Back to watching The Weather Channel.