2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    The ticket will have to be used before the end of January as we got it on a fare sale and PR rarely had hurricanes as direct hits. Unless the airport is wiped out, the fare change will be $200 plus the difference in ticket cost for destination. We have trip insurance which supposedly will work if the airline doesn't fly but we are dealing with Delta which loves to fly into bad storms.

I've looked at alternate destinations we might like and are looking at a fare difference of $500 to $600 plus the $200 change fee. We could fly to PR for a fare cheaper than to fly to Texas from our state as an example. We also had a highly rated hotel at a reasonable price almost half of Hawaii, for example.

It could be cheaper to lose the ticket than to pay all the increased costs for fare difference, ticket change costs and increase in hotel costs. This isn't the first time I've been through this but it was a snow storm that trapped me here but it was acceptable at the airport two hours away,
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    I guess maybe you cross your fingers and hope for the best. You're probably 6-8 weeks away from your trip so a lot of clean up could happen in that time. Are you staying on the side of the island where maria is supposed to hit? If you're on the other end, maybe it will be okay. Perhaps you could change hotels if it looks like the hotel you planned for isn't available because of damage. It's good you have trip insurance.
  • KonaKat
    We are staying in San Juan where it is supposed to hit. We have trip insurance but their are catches to that, so if the airline flies to San Juan then it won't do anything unless we are so sick we can't make the trip and that requires doctors verification.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Jean - that is such a shame. For you and for Puerto Rico! We recently adopted a cat to a woman from PR. I probably should email and tell her we're thinking about her family. I know she goes back to visit frequently.

Pam - that's a really cute gift!
  • mdubbs1
    That small dog is SCARY!

gipscl2f6o5t.png
  • mdubbs1
    645ud7vl7rsl.png
  • Helene610
    I can't believe that cat agreed to pose for such a creepy photo. What was he thinking? Did they bribe him with cat treats? LOL. I'll bet Midnight wouldn't agree to such an unflattering pose. Jean's cat has too much class for that.
  • mdubbs1
    6beyjw665yda.png
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I can't believe that cat agreed to pose for such a creepy photo. What was he thinking? Did they bribe him with cat treats? LOL. I'll bet Midnight wouldn't agree to such an unflattering pose. Jean's cat has too much class for that.

We've had cats that would lay like that but it didn't look as creepy - I guess because they have fur.
  • mdubbs1
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--Love the "fake mews." Just got home from work; got to leave a little early.
  • mdubbs1
    I'm tearing my hair out here with work computer issues. I guess shooting out my computer would be counterproductive but really.......

Cat show set up tomorrow. This is a really busy month. But then it gets a lot quieter.
  • mdubbs1
    Well, cat show is set up and then we had a nice dinner. I broke down and took an Aleve Thursday night, again yesterday morning and again last night. I'm hoping that's the minimum necessary to get me through the cat show.

Today I don't have to go anywhere. Every once in awhile it's a relief to not have to go anywhere.
  • Helene610
    I guess we've all been too busy to post the last few days. I'm still going to rehab with DH 3 days a week. He's got about 3 weeks left to finish up. We've both gotten a lot out of the classes. He'll just have to stick with exercising on his own once this is finished. He uses a stationary recumbent bike for a portion of the exercise and that's his favorite. He's pretty good on the treadmill. The one they use shows how much energy he generates while on it. His best so far is 80 watts. A fellow who just did his last session yesterday routinely generates 100 watts or more. The class that shocked me most was sodium. I've put so many items back on the shelf after looking at the sodium count. I was going to buy a pre-made sandwich the other day and put it back when I saw it had over 1200 mg of sodium. Yikes.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I'm at the beach this week with family, so I have been busy relaxing, lol!
  • Helene610
    I remembered you were going to the beach. Seeing the horrific conditions in Puerto Rico, I'm sure Jean will not be going there for vacation. I would hope the airlines would be lenient about letting people cancel reservations or change destinations without huge penalties. How could they expect people to travel to a disaster area with no power or water. Plus the airport is at reduced capacity because one of the towers was taken out by Maria. People are limed up trying to fly out so I can't see them flying people in unless they are relief workers.
    Maryanne, gave you recovered from the cat show?
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - I'm glad your hubby is doing so well with the exercise classes. I think I've recovered from the cat show. We are really, really pushing ourselves this month between the shows and flea markets and getting the raffle mailing out. No rest though - I need to start on the holiday newsletter practically right away.

Pam - enjoy the beach!

Lil is taming kittens and having a rough go. The vet suggested separating them. I feel bad not offering to work with one but I'm at my limit in so many ways. I suggested she consider boarding two at a time. I know vet techs - they'll play with them - and she can be working with the third one. Best I could come up with.

This morning I fed the colonies then went to the vet to pick up a feral cat to be released along with the assembled raffle mailing and a trap. Had to be home by noon for our every other week conference call so I had to get up early (for me) and leave early. Didn't get much sleep last night so I'm hoping for better tonight. Thursday is DH's 69th birthday. His desired birthday dinner is steak, baby potatoes and asparagus. I can handle that. LOL! I already bought his gifts including the DVD of the Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary and his favorite Lindt chocolate orange truffles (the BIG bag). I have an ulterior motive - I'd like to delete the Burns documentary off the DVR.

DH was all excited about the new Star Trek. He even signed up for CBS All Access. But has yet to watch the first episode. Me I'm looking forward to Survivor starting tomorrow!

• Helene610
    edited September 2017
    I'm with you on Survivor. Only problem is too many of my favorite shows are coming back all at once. I tape and then have a backlog to get to. I don't know if this will work. I copied a link address from a friend's posting. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214253634277399&set=a.4190071352688.181241.1311748262&type=3 My friend was the animal control officer in town and she ran a cat rescue group out of her home. We got our two cats from June. She had to take early retirement after her hand was disabled from a cat bite and multiple surgeries. She had to close down the cat rescue when it became overwhelming.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - it says I must log on to facebook and I'm not signed up for facebook. I do get a backlog sometimes on my DVR but it seems to me there aren't a lot of new shows that are too exciting this fall so that may help a little on the volume! In the last few weeks I taped the last show of last year on some of my favorites to watch right before I watch their opener - refresh my memory so to speak. Last evening I watched the last NCIS from spring and the first from this fall. I guess that will even more increase my backlog! LOL!

Cat rescue can become overwhelming. You have to set boundaries and limits and continually remind yourself that you can only do what you can do and that you are already doing more than the next 1000 or so people so you shouldn't feel bad when people try to make you feel bad (and they do ALL the time). At least that's my constant speech to myself.
  • mdubbs1
    kewqwli6wqzh.png