2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Maryanne, I'll give you a dose of good news to start the day. We had a call from our friend Paul last night. Sanibel and Captiva had very little damage from the storm. Forecasts were for 10-15 feet of surge but when the storm went inland, they just got a slightly higher than normal tide. We have lots of branches and vegetation littering the tear but that's the extent of the damage. Paul's got a landscaper coining to clean up the yard. typically, the city comes around and hauls away storm debris if you have it out on the curb in a timely fashion, The island has water but no power yet. They expect the power will be back this week because damage was so light. Paul spent the storm at a friends condo on the island. The tallest buildings on the island are only 3 stories but that was higher than his house. When I see the devastation in other parts of the state, I know we were incredibly lucky.

You must have done well at the cat show to get some $50s and $100. How was the site and did you get rid of a lot of stuff? I hope the packing up was much lighter and than the set up.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    edited September 2017
    Helene - that's great news!

I'm all geared up to meet Lil at the one colony tomorrow. We have two new cats and suddenly TWO KITTENS! We've got traps and all the trimmings. Sharon is trying tonight. Here's hoping - paws crossed. We don't think the kittens are connected to the two new cats unless someone dropped off a whole family because the kittens are about 6-7 weeks old and the cat that could possibly be the mom - if anyone is - has only been around 2 or 3 weeks.

We did great at this show. I hope it's back for good!
  • Helene610
    Good luck getting the new cats and kittens.
  • mdubbs1
    edited September 2017
    We got both kittens and they are adorable. Probably around 7 weeks old - the purrfect age to trap - old enough to be away from mom; young enough to tame! One is solid grey; the other white with black spots. Lil took them home for the weekend and they'll go to the vet up by her early next week. The grey one especially is to die for. Couldn't bring him/her here. He/she would never leave. We've had some really beloved solid grey cats over the years.

We got an adult. Tabby with white feet. I drove him/her to my vet. We really don't think it's the mom. Looks more like a male to me (and to the vet). But I checked him/her in as MIckey - sort of unisex. Warned them at the vet not to panic if it is a nursing female as the kittens are safe.

I did see the Siamese for the first time but by then we were bushed and when moving the traps closer to the Siamese sent him/her running for the hills we packed it up for the day. He/she isn't inside the locked gates so we can go after him/her once we've dealt with these others. The kittens were crucial - not only because we had to have the gate open but because we needed to get them while young enough to tame.

A good days' work!

• Helene610
    Nice job that's quite an accomplishment. I'd be tempted by the gray kitten. Our last cat was grey and white.

She passed away 18 months ago. I get nostalgic when I see cat food commercials. If we didn't travel I'd be really tempted to get another cat

• mdubbs1
    This site is at the dead end of a short street. Very deserted. But there are businesses farther up the street. We were there long enough that every business owner and employee around seemed to come by. I think everyone feeds the cats. While I was driving the cat to the vet, one guy was regaling Lil with some sort of story from his homeland - Bangladesh. She said she nodded politely and smiled where it seemed appropriate but has NO idea what it was about.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne---You are so great to our feline friends.

I got productive today and placed a fraud alert on my credit reports and signed up for that free year of credit monitoring.
  • mdubbs1
    Lil called last night. Sharon got a third kitten! Let's hope that's it.
  • KonaKat
    I put the fraud alert on with Equifax yesterday as well as signing up for that free year of monitoring of all 3 reports despite already having a monitoring service. I received an email from Equifax that the fraud alert had been received and they would notify the other bureaus. I also checked the info provided by the monitoring service as that was enacted today.

I got 8 solid hours of sleep last night despite Midnight insisting he explore the bed and trying to get me up.

Now, this is funny. I got fed up with doing all that exercise and eating right for a month and gaining instead of losing. As a result, when the cold hit, I quit eating a calorie limit and also exercising. The result? I lost 2 pounds.
  • mdubbs1
    0x21xauof7z5.png
  • mdubbs1
    axnqi7xjy0f7.png
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »

Now, this is funny. I got fed up with doing all that exercise and eating right for a month and gaining instead of losing. As a result, when the cold hit, I quit eating a calorie limit and also exercising. The result? I lost 2 pounds.

Now that's discouraging in general but good news for you for the month!

I weighed the same this morning as I did two weeks ago and that's the good news because I haven't been careful at all.
  • Helene610
    Maybe your metabolism thought it was starving and put the brakes on losing. You gave it a little extra food and it kicked back into overdrive. Congratulations.
  • KonaKat
    I don't think I was meant to go to Puerto Rico in early November. Oh well, that means I might be able to work those days to make up for the cost of the ticket that may not be used. The airline might fly but if it is a mess there, then all we would be doing is contributing to the economic recovery of the few things up and running.

• mdubbs1
    fzisvpv5rq40.png
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I don't think I was meant to go to Puerto Rico in early November. Oh well, that means I might be able to work those days to make up for the cost of the ticket that may not be used. The airline might fly but if it is a mess there, then all we would be doing is contributing to the economic recovery of the few things up and running.

Yeah, I saw the news. Doesn't look promising.
  • mdubbs1
    jsktxadyndxq.png
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--You find the best graphics. I knew someone who sold those hairless cats whatever they are called. She used to be a vet assistant at the vet I used.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Jean, perhaps you could change your ticket and go somewhere else? You'd likely have to pay a change fee, but it might be worthwhile rather than losing the whole cost of the ticket. Alternatively, perhaps you could postpone the trip and give Puerto Rico more time to recover before going.

We are also watching the storms closely. We are supposed to leave on Friday for our week in Orange Beach, AL. We were supposed to go 2 weeks ago but postponed the trip because of Harvey due to concerns about gas shortages and road closures for my SIL going from Houston past Beaumont. Hopefully we won't have any issues with our new plans.

I'm trying to get things done in preparation for the trip and finishing up things here. Today has been a little difficult because of back pain and a headache, but I'm trying to push on. It seems like those issues surface when I least can afford to rest and recuperate. I'll probably feel better tomorrow but today wasn't so great.

We attended a fun event on Saturday. One of our neighbors had sent an evite for a happy hour but didn't give any indication as to what the occasion was. However, this neighbor is the one whose husband was severely injured in a freak accident in Madrid 18 months ago, and then she had foot surgery earlier this year. We provided several meals during their recovery periods, so I thought perhaps this was a sort of thank you gesture. It turned out to be a lovely happy hour followed by a full dinner with quite a few of our neighbors and a few people from outside the neighborhood as well. We really enjoyed the evening and it was nice having a chance to catch up with people we don't see that often.

This is one of the projects I've been trying to finish up before we leave. It's for our next door neighbor who is having a baby. Her due date is October 12th, so I needed to hurry up and get it done. I made the one pictured for my friend's daughter, but I'm doing another one now for my neighbor. The cocoon is finished and I just started on the hat. Luckily, the hat goes very quickly. Here's the picture.
    x9v8bxjrcswl.jpg
  • Helene610
    Jean, see if you can change the ticket for a later date. You shouldn't lose all your money because of a natural disaster. It would be worth a change fee.