2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Boy, I'm tired! Left here at 6 am and returned at 4 pm. Yard sales are HARD work! Definitely not the crowd size we had when we did them routinely and people were looking for "when will your next one be". Haven't had the energy to count the cash yet.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Jean, the show just started 2 weeks ago. You can probably find it online. I never watched the Bates Motel but I had seen Freddie in a couple of movies when he was a child. You could see his talent even then.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Helen---It dawned upon me that I had seen some ABC shows reshown on Hulu, so this afternoon I have been watching The Good Doctor. I love medical shows and Freddie continues to be great in this show. I have to say that his condition is not typical of many with autism as many cannot communicate except with grunts even with therapy.

Maryanne--Rest up! Yes, yard sales are hard. You can count the cash after resting. Sorry you didn't have a bigger crowd size.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - I wonder if some children who are high functioning are just not diagnosed? When watching The Good Doctor it occurred to me to wonder if maybe he was more on the Asperger's end of the spectrum. Did a little reading and it turns out the term "Asperger's" is no longer used. I always figured a lot of Asperger's children (which most likely included my dad) might just be seen as socially awkward but if diagnosed they are apparently now referred to as having autism.

I've been busy today - feeding the colonies, going to the bank, getting gas, going to the grocery store, catching up on the laundry and working on the never ending CROM paper work. It truly is never ending!!
  • mdubbs1
    4acd09c52cvl.png
  • mdubbs1
    rl010nqy4ocf.png
  • mdubbs1
    6d6am3ver8kr.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    wez2goaw1fi0.jpg
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - interesting article! She didn't say much about the fact that they threw "savant" into the mix. I wonder if that means that she doesn't think that is a little over the top.

(I can sometimes relate to that cat's loss of get up and go. LOL!)
  • mdubbs1
    yzlrvbyrd6gw.png
  • mdubbs1
    Blog post about The Good Doctor by someone with autism: https://chavisory.wordpress.com/2017/10/05/invisible-history/
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Interesting article, Maryanne. I hope the writers on the show have some good consultants working with them as they have a real opportunity to educate the masses about what autism is and is not, and the wide range of abilities autistic individuals may have.

DH and I were talking last night about taking a vacation. For the last 3-4 years all of our trips have been family trips of one kind or another. While we’ve enjoyed them, we both were saying we’d like to take a trip together without either of our families. DH mentioned that he thought one of the advantages of retirement would be being able to spontaneously travel whenever we wanted to and/or spotted a good deal, but we haven’t really done that so far. As luck would have it, today I received an email about various travel opportunities, and one of them was a 15 day round trip cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii for an excellent price, over the Thanksgiving holiday. I also found a really low airfare on Southwest Airlines, which happens to be running a sale right now. We ended up deciding to go for it, so on November 13th, we set sail for Hawaii. We’ve been there once, but only visited one island. This time we will stop at 4 different ones, which will be a nice way to “sample” them to determine which one we’d like to return to and stay for awhile.

Since my broken ankle healed I’ve been dealing with neuropathy in two of the toes on that foot. For the most part, it wasn’t too bad as long as I was careful about what shoes I wore. I have 3-4 pairs that seem to minimize the pain so those are the ones I wear most of the time. Yesterday, the pain suddenly worsened to the point I couldn’t put weight on the toes at all, even in my formerly comfortable shoes. I have no idea what happened. Today the pain continued. I finally decided to try taping the toes together, like you do for broken toes, and that seems to be helping quite a bit. I already had an appointment with my family doctor on Friday, so I’ll see if she can shed any light on why the sudden increase in pain, and any solutions besides taping my toes.
  • mdubbs1
    ct2wqoijmkvu.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited October 2017
    Pam - sounds like a great trip you have planned! You can join Jean in the explorer's group. I guess DH and I will be in the fuddy duddy group. LOL!

I'm so sorry about the pain. I hope they can figure out what the problem is and take care of it!
  • mdubbs1
    I called to make an appointment with my gynecologist (it's been two years; they told me now that I'm on Medicare I should only come every 2 years). I got a recorded message that their office closed in July (didn't say what year) and to leave a message if I wanted to be called about getting records. That's the second time this year I've found that a VERY long time doctor has disappeared without notifying patients (the other was my cardiologist). I did leave a message with my numbers. I was just thinking yesterday that I should follow up when what comes in the mail but literally a plain brown envelope with a handwritten name/address and inside was my paper records from that office, all sort of jumbled up. No file folder. No prior phone call to confirm address. No cover letter. No certified mail to verify delivery. No hint as to how to get the computer records. Truly bizarre IMHO. This was a practice owned by one of the largest hospital systems in the region. Not a standalone practice that you could sort of understand disappearing when the doctor retired. I admit I've never put gynecologist very high on my priority list when it comes to doctors - I'd only seen the physicians assistant in years - so I did a little searching and found a gynecologist in one of the two new complexes that St. Agnes Hospital has opened very near to me (they are our closest hospital and obviously are trying to saturate the area; one of the complexes used to be a Montgomery Wards warehouse; the other was formerly a furniture store LOL!). Might as well be convenient I guess. I think I should copy the files in case I just can't tolerate this person. OR not take the files to the first visit.
  • mdubbs1
    edited October 2017
    pas37a2f9ng1.png

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited October 2017
    The m meeting friends for a birthday lunch today. Not much planned besides that, so a quiet day.

Maryanne, that’s weird that your doctor closed the office without notifying patients, and that they would send out medical records that way. Not a professional way to handle it at all.