2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Options

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Options
    Pam--My favorite Hawaii island is the Big Island because of its diverse geography and my favorite town to stay in there is Kona. I guess if you are stopping in Hilo, you probably need to go to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. There is a "Circle the Island" tour that takes in the major sites with very brief stops but I think it departs from Kona. That is a full day tour and although it gives you some idea of the diverse nature of the island, it really takes a full week to fully experience them. For Maui, if you are there overnight, I would take the sunrise trip to Haleakula. You have to leave around 2am to get there in time to see the sun rise. It is really spectacular. Otherwise, I would recommend taking the trip to Hana which is quite an experience over crooked roads but with spectacular scenery.

The cruise is a great way to sample the islands without unpacking but the cruises really don't stay long enough in any one spot. If you have time on Oahu, combine Pearl Harbor with Circle the Island with Enoa tours (small mini busses) or take in a full day of the Polynesian Cultural Center. Oahu is beautiful when getting outside of Waikiki.

Enjoy your vacation!!!
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,603 Member
    Options
    We did a small flea market yesterday. Sort of strange. Sponsored by a boy scout troop and held at a catholic school. I got up at 4 am. I am NEVER up at 4 am. Tuffy didn't even get up (he probably assumed I was making a bathroom trip). Left the house at 5 am. Got in line at 4:45. I was the fifth car in line. At 7 am the boy scouts started carrying our stuff in. Why you ask? Because there is no handicapped access to this school. To get your stuff in it has to go up TWO flights of stairs. One of the volunteers had emailed me the night before that she would be there at 8:30. I guess it never dawned on her I was counting on her for unpacking. Folks can be clueless. So one other woman and I unpacked. As usual the flea market chair gave us WAY too much stuff! LOL!.

We had fun during the day. At time there was a crowd but overall I don't think it was quite their usual crowd. Flea market chair's goal at this one is $100 per table. They'll only let you have two tables. We did $181 so got close. The worst part is after you pack waiting for the scouts to take your stuff out. I sent everyone else home and waited. I don't sit well. I had my kindle but for some reason still couldn't seem to sit. When it was time to leave they were apparently short on scouts. Talk about PPP (poor prior planning). I

'm really not sorry that the flea markets are going to die when the chair moves south at the end of 2018 and we lose both her and her garage. I think I'm getting a little old for this. A shame, though, because donated flea market treasures are the easiest thing to stir up. We don't make enough to rent a storage unit though (and there's no room in my house.)
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    ai85sxgc7f1i.png
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    on4f5jwg3v0j.png
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jordan and Whitney danced last Monday to a song I just had to track down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mk0F6mLKik&list=FLYbGdOgBLhjX-Wh_Pl3giow&index=1
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne-I think sometimes changes in circumstances come at a time that we need to realize we can't do what we once did. Great video and pictures.

I spent half of the day going through papers and shredding. We had snow in the state but thankfully not here. It was only 34 here.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    SNOW?????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    For some reason my cats' vet visits are pretty bunched up. And there is only so much I can do about that because of the one-year rabies requirement. What I am going to try to do is take them all in a month early (vet says that's okay). So maybe in two years or so the bunching will be in the summer when traffic is lightest (because school is out), weather is best and work is slowest. Of course I can leave a few in the fall. But I want to move them out of winter. I'm starting today taking Smokie in. I got up quite early for me. But the recycling guys were already here and gone, dog walkers already out and kids already walking to school (what the heck time does school start???) I'm so not a morning person!
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    awkenwrj9byb.png
  • mdubbs1
    Options
  • KonaKat
    Options
    Maryanne---Snow, yes! This is the weather advisory for the western part of Maryland:

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY EXPANSION: Garrett County, Maryland is now in the Winter Weather Advisory through 5:00 AM Monday Morning. 2 to 4 inches of snow is expected in Garrett County, in addition to the other areas that remain under a Winter Weather Advisory through Monday Morning... ---Chief Meteorologist Bryan Schuerman #WVWX #MDWX #StormTracker12

Now, this is a pic of an area of our state south of that advisory area:

z65zqfcvsy33.jpg
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    We had wild weather last night. We had heavy rain and high winds, My town had 93 MPH gust. We lost power for 10 hours and many areas are still without power. I had no internet connect so I'm just checking in now. Crazy weather for sure.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    Jean - glad I'm further east!

Helene - I saw on CNN that power was out in the northeast. Wild is right.

But of course there is no climate change (typed with dripping sarcasm).

• mdubbs1
    Options
    vlhoxxr7ymh5.png
  • Helene610
    Options
    That' adorable! We have a squirrel that run along our deck railing mot day. He hops down to the deck to gather the acorns that have fallen on the deck or into the planters. He doesn't seem to us watching through the deck door.
  • mdubbs1
    Options
    4ycdrbe1xa8l.png
  • mdubbs1
    Options
  • Helene610
    Options
    I was a bit surprised Ali was the one to go but after reading the recaps, it was the smart move. That explanation of gym guys starving on survivor rations was interesting. I was looking at Lauren last night and thinking that she looked pretty much the same as when she started. I guess it pays off to have some excess weight reserves to draw on.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not much going on around my homestead right now. DH hurt his back when he went sailing last week and of course he refuses to go to the doctor, so he’s been limping around and in a lot of pain when he tries to get up from a chair or couch. I hate that he’s hurting, but when he refuses to go get it checked out, I get very frustrated. I finally persuaded him to try the medications the doctor prescribed for my back pain last night, and he did say it felt better this morning. However, typically his pain increases as the day goes by, so we will see how he is doing later today.

When I saw the endocrinologist last week she prescribed Prolia injections for my osteoporosis. Yesterday I got the unwelcome news that my insurance doesn’t cover it until my deductible is met, which won’t happen this year. The cost to me is $1,125.28 each time and I would have 2 shots per year. When I declined that I was given a phone number to call for a Prolia Copay Program and when I called them they told me they will pay up to $1500 per year of the cost. I’ll still have to pay the rest, but at least it helps. My sister told me that her doctor had prescribed it for her but she ran into similar issues. Her insurance paid it twice, then told her they would no longer cover it. She’s on Medicare now and said that none of the Medicare drug plans cover it at all. It’s very frustrating because my doctor said that none of the drugs such as Fosamax or Boniva are good choices for me since I’ve already suffered fractures while on one of them.